DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Heartbreaking moments in fiction

clu7ch

Hey all, 

I usually don't drift outta the theory vaults, but I thought i'd start a topic here.

What is, in your opinion, the most heart breaking moment in any book you have ever read. Any genre. 

------------------HOKAY GAIS. SPOILERS WILL HAPPEN HERE---------------------------------------------

----------Don't read this thread unless you've read every single book evar------------------------------

Personally, I was big into the Sword of Truth books, but they weren't so much heartbreaking as just uncomfortable. We all know that feeling, Dumai's wells or The Last that Could Be Done from WoT. That type of feeling. Although those books took that uncomfortable feeling to the extreme. 

My ultimate heartbreaking moment from a book hasn't even happened yet, isn't that the kicker. 

In Rothfuss' kingkillere chronicles - Kvothe is narrating the story as the innkeeper who's left everything behind and went into hiding. This leads a very simple, gut wrenching thought for me.

Who's taking care of Auri now? 

Like. that bothers me. She's sweet, and innocent, and needs him. Something happened that was bad enough that he left her. 

I would have to say mine would be with the newest and final book in The Clan of the Cave Bear series: Land of Painted Caves.  It's set back in the days of Neanderthals and Cro-magnons.  So the main character is super busy learning as an acolyte in their society's religion, and she doesn't get to spend as much time as she'd like to with her mate and 5 year old.  They go ahead to the meeting the surrounding groups have every summer, while she stays behind to do some ritual.  She just started to suspect that she was pregnant again, and the ritual causes her to miscarry.  So afterwards, she is finally done with all the training, and goes to the meeting to find him, and walks up on him having an affair with this chick that humiliated her/treated him badly before she met him.  I just wanted to punch him so badly! >.<  My heart ached for Ayla. 

I'm worried for Auri too. Speaking of Rothfuss' books; when Kvothe is living in the woods as a child, dealing with the aftermath of the horrible things he witnessed. And when his lute gets crushed. That's heartbreaking.

The most heartbreaking moments for me ever comes from the Harry Potter books. The deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore both left me sobbing. Not to mention in the last book, Harry's trip in the pensieve showing him Snape's memories. It really felt like my heart was breaking. And I still start crying like a baby when I see that part in the movie; best bits of the movies. Ah, so many deaths in HP that hurts my heart. Dobby, Fred, Hedwig, Lupin...

given the nature of this thread, i'd like to clarify two things

if you talk about events in any book that has not been out longer than a year from todays date (Feb. 4th 2013) please make sure to use the Spoiler tag.

[spoiler] text [/spoiler]

it also goes without saying, absolutely nothing related to A Memory of Light is allowed in this thread, not even in spoiler tags. otherwise, have a good convo :smile:

- Red

He was just hungry, Papa. He's going to die.

He's going to die anyway.

He's so scared, Papa.

The man squatted and looked at him. I'm scared, he said. Do you understand? I'm scared.

The boy didn't answer. He just sat there with his head down, sobbing.

You're not the one who has to worry about everything.

The boy said something but he couldn't understand him. What? He said.

He looked up, his wet and grimy face. Yes I am, he said. I am the one.

― Cormac McCarthy, The Road

I would have to say mine would be with the newest and final book in The Clan of the Cave Bear series: Land of Painted Caves.  It's set back in the days of Neanderthals and Cro-magnons.  So the main character is super busy learning as an acolyte in their society's religion, and she doesn't get to spend as much time as she'd like to with her mate and 5 year old.  They go ahead to the meeting the surrounding groups have every summer, while she stays behind to do some ritual.  She just started to suspect that she was pregnant again, and the ritual causes her to miscarry.  So afterwards, she is finally done with all the training, and goes to the meeting to find him, and walks up on him having an affair with this chick that humiliated her/treated him badly before she met him.  I just wanted to punch him so badly! >.<  My heart ached for Ayla. 

I just finished reading the series at the end of last year and i loved it.  That totally sucked in the last book.

This isn't fiction, but it was sad

I was watching a documentary about Israel and Gaza. It was about a child that needed medical attention that could only be gotten in Israel so the family had to travel across the lines every now and then to get treatment

Anyway one time they take a cousin or something

She gets to Israel and is walking on some grass and the person filming asked what she was walking on. She looked really confused and said plants?

She had never seen grass before

She was about 15

One of anne Mcaffrey's books, I just can't remember the name.

One of Anne Mcaffrey's Dragon series books where a rider and his Brown dragon "Go Between" to another planet only to find themselves in liquid fire but it was'nt so much the act that makes it sad but how Anne wrote in how the dragons everywhere knew at once what the two had done and that one of their kind was being burned alive and so they, by instinct knew where the brown dragon would instinctually jump back to and jumped to where it would emerge and formed a living staircase for the severly injured comatose dragon and rider.

It was the way she wrote it, you could feel the the alarm and fear coming through as every dragon everywhere took to the air screaming knowing one of their own attempted something they all knew to be death.

• 1 year later...

My heart breaks every time I read or hear about someone being heartbroken over Snape's death. If I had my way, Nagini would have swallowed him whole.

The Amber Spyglass. Lyra and Will realising they will have to spend the rest if their lives apart was so sad. After all they had learned and all they had been through. I cried when I first read that.

The Tamir Triad. The whole story is sad. I had a few heartbreaking moments in that series.

• 8 months later...

"Who's taking care of Auri now?  

Like. that bothers me. She's sweet, and innocent, and needs him. Something happened that was bad enough that he left her." 

I keep wondering if Auri is actually dead, as in something terrible happened and Kvothe couldn't save her.

The most heartbreaking moments for me ever comes from the Harry Potter books. The deaths of Sirius and Dumbledore both left me sobbing. Not to mention in the last book, Harry's trip in the pensieve showing him Snape's memories. It really felt like my heart was breaking. And I still start crying like a baby when I see that part in the movie; best bits of the movies. Ah, so many deaths in HP that hurts my heart. Dobby, Fred, Hedwig, Lupin...

From the Harry Potter movies, the heartbreaking thing was when Harry finally found out that Snape had spent the rest of his life in love with Lily. From the books, the most heartbreaking moment for me was when Fawkes left Hogwarts and there was no more phoenix song---it just seemed like so much of an ending that by the time Fred died I wasn't really aware that that had even happened. 

How about A Tale of Two Cities when Sidney Carton gives his life for Charles Darnay because of his promise to Lucie?

Or the elves leaving Middle-earth at the end of The Lord of the Rings, along with the moment I realized that Galadriel was from the West instead of being raised in Middle-earth.

One of anne Mcaffrey's books, I just can't remember the name.

One of Anne Mcaffrey's Dragon series books where a rider and his Brown dragon "Go Between" to another planet only to find themselves in liquid fire but it was'nt so much the act that makes it sad but how Anne wrote in how the dragons everywhere knew at once what the two had done and that one of their kind was being burned alive and so they, by instinct knew where the brown dragon would instinctually jump back to and jumped to where it would emerge and formed a living staircase for the severly injured comatose dragon and rider.

It was the way she wrote it, you could feel the the alarm and fear coming through as every dragon everywhere took to the air screaming knowing one of their own attempted something they all knew to be death.

That was F'nor and Canth.  What a gripping narrative, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived