DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

1) Egwene's reaction to Gawyn's death and dies after that ( Neither I liked her nor disliked, but when I read the scene, something inside me was very sorry for her and Rand also felt the same way:( ) 2) Rhuarc's destiny was really horrific, he always may find shade and water and one of the most respected character through the series with Lan. 3) Rand disappearance in the night in the body of Moridin, two prophecies fulfilled, three women in a boat and standing on his own grave, without letting Min,Elayne and Aviendha know that he is alive. Love is not such a simple thing to let it go to easily like him. He wanted to beat the DO to love again and again. 4)Siuan and Bryne. I expected to them die but it was a very surprising to see them to die by Min's vision which we thought was avoided. 5) Rand's vision against the Dark One. Seeing Elayne knowing something is very wrong. 6) Not knowing the questions asked to Aelffin and requests to Eelfins by Moiraine and Lanfear ( I am not sure that these were not told, I read the book too fast maybe missed them) It is not saddest moment maybe:) but I really wished to know them, I thought Rand understood how to seal the bore in the last minute and second. 7) It was very easy for Rand to beat the Dark One like he is a fly:)

Min, Elayne and Avi did know that he was not dead. Avienda says to Elayne and Min: "now we make sure that everyone well and truly believes he is gone." Rand wonders which if the three will follow him.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ryrin (It's not letting me quote you right now for some reason)

I completely agree. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure everyone was aware of Min's viewing of Suian and Bryne. Egwene has never been a character to heedlessly throw lives aware, nor was Bryne in any type of position that required them to separate. He had been relieved of his command and was just fighting. They could have stayed together and I feel as though they deserved much more than just being inserted into some BS about splitting up and being killed off.

Thank you. They did deserve more than one liner deaths. They were just in the camps and could have easily survived and been together. This really upset me.

God, I'm glad that stupid horse is dead.  The only thing better would have been if she hadn't been mentioned at all.  That whole thing was nothing but Disney fodder.

Lol...exactly bat. Solid call. Although I will miss Mr Ares being able to *kneecaps* people when they make the dumb bela=creator jokes.

My only issue with the Bela death is they made the horse seem like it was so damn special, so fast, so strong, and BAM, one arrow and it's dead. WTF. Not sad, but anti-climatic death.

There was nothing sad about Gaywn's death.He was an idiot and got what he deserved (My opinion). At least Galad went about it nobly. The whole idea of Gaywn not asking an AS about those rings before deciding to just put them on seemed really stupid to me. Like a kid playing with matches at a gas station. The boy's just not too bright. 

Agree with the ealier post of

"it was an ending"

Saddest part for me. 

Other saddest parts were when people realized someone they loved died, or feared they did.  Such as when Berelain was freaking out about Galad, or when Avi stabs Rhuarc and finds out, etc.

Egwene's death. While I never really liked her character, having her die was still a blow. But it never really affected me until in the epilogue when Nynaeve told Perrin that she died.

Just goes to show how absorbed I was when reading aMoL - the death didn't really get to me while the battle was still going on, but during the aftermath, when the people have already started to count their dead...

Actually every moment in the healing tent when Nynaeve was trying to hold it together, and saying that she only went with Rand to protect him, and then her feeling that she couldn't do anything to save him... really heartbreaking.

Bela. I'm not even kidding. That just caught me by surprise.

Perrin searching the wounded for Faile, falling to his knees weeping, and then falling to the ground. I wanted to weep with him so bad.

I really felt for Olver once Faile left him with the Horn. That was well done.

Tam at Rand's byre.

I thought Talmanes fighting the good fight in the beginning was sad. He was killing Fades and fighting in spite of being mortally wounded. (I was happy he lived)

Avi killing Rhuarc was really tough.

Rand... he went through so much.

Birgitte. So sudden. had to reread it a few times.

Noal saving Olver.

Lan fighting Demandred. I just knew he was going to die. (so glad I was wrong)

I agree with most people's moments, the only one ill add that i havent seen alot of was when Logain went to save the refugees ... his character seemed to start becoming a dark one near the end but i was happy to see his interaction with the common people and the direction the Asha man will go without needing to be feared

- Egwene's obviously the big one - I cried like a baby, and now feel really angry/upset that they did that. Ugh.

- Bela :(
- Lan stroking Mandarb's neck and talking about the future - that really got me!
- Nynaeve telling Perrin about Egwene.
- Perrin searching for Faile.
- Siuan :( I loved her!
- Tam at Rand's pyre.
- Rhuarc

- And when Moiraine walked into the tent revealing herself - but that was more a happy/sad moment hehe :)

Egwene for sure. I read like 20 pages through the tears in my eyes after that. Afterwards I started thinking about it, and I couldn't think of anyone - Rand, Mat, Perrin, anyone else - whose death would have felt worse for me.

And I think it was also worse because I had trouble not crying already when thinking of Siuan and Bryne.

Oh, yeah, and HOW DID LAN SURVIVE??????

For me

I didnt care about gawyn dying, he has annoyed me for a long time

Egwene didnt have a massive effect on me either to be honest!

But the casual way birgitte died shocked me totally at the time

And when i thought mat was dead i nearly threw the book against the wall i was so so so annoyed.

The casual GRRM style of hurins death affected me as well...

Guest AballahSonDis

The saddest moments for me were not all sad but some of the more heroic moments.

NOTE:  I have never posted at Dragonmount.  I was a member of wotmania and left the discussion scene of the books after the site closed.  So to any old members out there hello. 

• Talmanes charge in Caemlyn and the overall loss of the city.
  • The Ogier Charge and Battlesong - It is the idea of such peaceful creatures and what the shadow has forced them into. 
  • Elayne fighting at Cairhein when all seems lost. 
  • Lan vs. Damendred - I had this thought for a while they had talked repeatedly about Lews Therin and Demandred learning the skill together, it just felt right to me that the blademaster's would fight in an epic struggle to turn the tide of the battle.  I like that Lan lived, he had sacrificed so much it was his time to be happy.  When Tam clears a path for him I cried like a 2 year old. 
  • Bela - I didn't cry at this part like I did some of the others but it was the import - to a point it was a breaking of spirit.  I had always seen that Bela was a representation of the blood of Manetheren, the stubborn pride and willingness to do what was required.  When Bela was killed it was the end of the legacy of Manetheren in my mind clearing the way for a "rebirth" of the Two Rivers.  Unlike many I like the fact that the death was quick and "just an arrow" because it showed that anyone can die from just an arrow much like many of the Aes Sedai state throughout the books. 
  • Egwene - I didn't find it sad that she died, I found the heroic act and the true finding of the "Flame of Tar Valon" to be the more powerful sentiment.  In that moment she wasn't just the Amyrlin she was the embodiment of the white tower.  The white tower and the flame were intended to be a healing force and in her last moments she was that.  I had a suspiscion we would find the anti-balefire as the pattern requires balance, and this balance is what the white tower and Aes Sedai were supposed to be all along.  Think to all the descriptions of the difference between Saidan and Saidar; one is a torrent that you must wrest control of with the power to consume, burn, and destroy - the other is a relinquising of will and an acceptance. 
  • Thom Merrilin with the "fake" Cadsuane.  It was very fitting that he could see through the crap and nod them in only to plant a knife in there back, it was truly the essence of the character and his link to Moraine.  I wish we could have seen more about the future of these two.  Add into this Moraine returning to Rand, that was pivotal to the light winning. 
  • Lanfear - I had always hoped that she would come back to the light, but right up until the end she only wanted power.  It was a truth about people being displayed, some people simply are unwilling or uncapable to change even if a small part of them wants too. 
  • Mat and the Heroes of the Horn, I think he is a hero of the horn it is merely his will at the time not to be.  Son of Battles, Gambler.
  • Rand - The last line of the book ripped me apart.  He came like the wind (don't have exact quote here), etc.  Something about the finality of this and his leaving just pulled at the old heart strings.  It was in a way his reward for his sacrifice, I also believe he became something more than a channeler, in essence he became a thing of the pattern and I think to a certain point it foreshadows that he can now weave parts of the pattern as his reward. 

I have a lot more thoughst but work and all that call. 

The death of a character didn't particularly move me...

For instance, Egwene. I didn't really feel anything.

What did get me were the scenes with Rand seeing these deaths. Egwene, Bashere, Hurin, etc. That struck hard.

The funeral scene with Tam. Very, very sad.

The second to last paragraph, with Rand being known as the Dragon Reborn, a king, a killer, a love, a friend...that brought a tear to my eye for some reason.

Last was the final quote of the book. 'Like the wind...'.

Now I'm all melancholic, thanks.

I'm not sure this is a bad? sad moment, but Noal rescuing Olver got to me.

Wow same here. I'm not sure why, he just seemed so helpless and for whatever reason I never expected Noal to be the hero to great Olver. Should have seen it coming but ho hey.

Another character that crushed me was Galad. I really really warmed to his character since taking over the Whitecloaks and joining the Last Battle with Perrin. His battle with Demandred and subsequent scenes with Berelain choked me up some how. I think I really wanted him to beat Demandred and avenge his brother (as much of an idiot as he was). And when he described himself as Rands brother. Totally kick ass!!!!!

I was in a rush to see the end, most of the events didn't affect me much...a few struck me and Im sure I'll have more emotions after my reread, but the part when Demmy and Lan were dualing and Lan said "I didn't come here to win, I came here to kill you" struck me as very sad...he had no hope of living through the ordeal, he just knew what needed done to save the world...choked me up a bit...

The moment when Tam set fire to Rand's pyre was hand's down the saddest moment for me.

Egwene's death was moving, and unexpected, but wasn't much a tear jerker for me.

The whole scene where Lan charged into the horde of Trollocs with the Two Rivers archers clearing the path to Demandred was also moving, his determination to slay one the Forsaken and then the dialouge between him and Demandred while they fought. I kind of felt robbed though, Lan deserved that death when he let Demandred impale him so he could slay him in turn. I was sad thinking that was his demise, but he had definitely earned it and couldn't have gone out with a bigger bang considering two other of the world's greatest swordsman had faced him and failed.

The only one I actually teared up on was when Noal saved Olver.   Surprised me, as even though I really liked Noal, I never really considered them favorite charactes or anything.

I want to add that for me the scariest was when Hanlon was about to do bad things to Elayne.   Definately had to stop there and go oh no, please someone come save her (again!)

The only one I actually teared up on was when Noal saved Olver.   Surprised me, as even though I really liked Noal, I never really considered them favorite charactes or anything.

I want to add that for me the scariest was when Hanlon was about to do bad things to Elayne.   Definately had to stop there and go oh no, please someone come save her (again!)

A part of me honestly felt like it would happen. It was a disturbing scene. When Mat gets word that Elayne is dead later I believed it, having completely forgotten about the fake head they were parading around.

Archived