DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

Moments that I wouldn't say were the saddest, but make me choke up and brought tears to my eyes...

Lan's "first" last charge when the gateways opened and all the boarderlanders rolled out and he started laughing...

When Moiraine walked into the tent, and Rand just stared at her, the whole sequence was awesome and loved every second of it.

When they walked out of the tent after signing the dragons peace and all Ogier singing to the to the trees that Rand grew...

The rest of mine were mentioned so many times already, its not worth adding to the list.. lol

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siuan Sanche's death

Rhuarc being compelled

Maybe a lot of us might have been looking for a happy ever after ending, but Siuan/Bryne and Egwene/Gawyn will be together in death.

Rhuarc was a strong character you could respect. To deny him a true warrior's death was so sad.

I noticed a suspicious lack of the one scene that actually made me cry: Androl pleading to Logain to protect the innocents after Moghedien ordered a fist of Trollocs to attack those looking for wounded. Androl's pleading while Logain struggled between wanting to be feared and doing what was right, was honestly the most touching and heart wrenching moments of the book. I cried and had to put the book down.

Actually, a lot of the Androl scenes made me tear up. I'm so glad he became a big character in the end. He was one of my favorites. Another moment I was shocked stupid was when Perrin looked down to see Mat struck by Mashadar. I stopped dead and screamed "NO NO NO NO NO NO NOT NOW!" I was so relieved once Shaisam's POV came up and it was clear that Mat was going to kill him. But for a moment there I definitely almost cried.

The Galad and Gawyn's last moment scene was another big one. Galad's POV there was so touching. Losing a brother struck home for me, especially because I have a brother, but I'm sure others were as touched too.

And Tam lighting the bonfire (though mentioned dozens of times already) was a real tear jerker, as well as Loial's final quote "...and like the wind he was gone"

Maybe a lot of us might have been looking for a happy ever after ending, but Siuan/Bryne and Egwene/Gawyn will be together in death.

Egwene's death hit me the hardest T.T 

I wonder if Egwene and Gawyn are the reincarnated spirits of Eldrene and Aemon?

Holy crap what's it with everyone caring about Bela? People are dying, WHO CARES ABOUT THE DEATH OF SOME GODDAMN HORSE!

Sorry, i don't mean to cause argument or anything, but i really don't get it at all. I wasn't affected by Bela's death, i was much more concerned with Olver's survival. I mean, it's the Last Battle and people are going down to Trolloc swarms by the hundreds of thousands. Some pony from a backwater village doesn't really matter to me much.

Gawyn death was hard, as well as Egwenes's death. Gawyn never got to make a huge name for himself, only to stand behind Egwene and die in her shadow. That and Tam lighting Rand's pyre.

He never made a name for himself because he was an idiot.  

doop-de-doop-de-derpidy-doop.  Thats what I think of when I think of Gawyn Trakand.  complete dumbass.

Holy crap what's it with everyone caring about Bela? People are dying, WHO CARES ABOUT THE DEATH OF SOME GODDAMN HORSE!

Lol. I gots to agree. It was more of an 'Oh, shit!' moment for me.

That horse was the only character consistently doing her job in this battle. Gotta lay some props for that right?

Gawyn death was hard, as well as Egwenes's death. Gawyn never got to make a huge name for himself, only to stand behind Egwene and die in her shadow. That and Tam lighting Rand's pyre.

He never made a name for himself because he was an idiot.  

doop-de-doop-de-derpidy-doop.  Thats what I think of when I think of Gawyn Trakand.  complete dumbass.

LOL yeah I was really happy when he died, the whole plan made no sense.  Considering he was pretty much committing suicide and wasn't till later was like, ohh this will hurt egewne.  Like his sister he never stopped to consider who his actions might hurt and ran off to do something stupid.  His death was no big loss an hardly a sad moment.  If anything I wanted to pop a bottle of champagne and celebrate.

When they chose Elayne to lead the armies... that was sad, realy sad.

Other sad thing, that Rand didn't die. What was this, Harry Potter? Bah.

The problem with Gawyn's death was that is was meaningless - or it is, what i thought first. But maybe without it Egwene wouldn't be able to kill Taim...

My favourite scene was when Ituralde didn't order to reatret - he didn't fail, where everyone else did.

But the sadest: the end. I just realised: it's over. I started with this series only 5-6 years ago, but it was important for me. Now it is finished. It was an ending for me as well.

Hi all anyway, I am new here.

Sry for my English

Nice work, Elathan!

The only time I got close to being choked up was with characters who I'd barely met: a drugged Pevara and Androl wondering when they're going to be Turned. Maybe it was because the two had just begun what seemed to be a potentially great relationship that would come to define the nature of the 4th Age. I really didn't want to see them cut short in lieu of more important characters.

I have a healthy sense of irony, so I was cool with it. 

Egwene's death. Yeah, she was annoying sometimes, but she was still the best Amyrlin they could've had in the war. Her death reminded me so much of the Manetheren story, where the queen, who was also Aes Sedai, was so anguished by the death of her husband that she channeled as much as she could, completely wiping off Manetheren. Egwene's death was very similar.

Didn't really cried when she died, but really got choked up when she appears in front of Rand and asks "Am I not allowed to be a hero too?".  :(

Was sad when Bela died as well. The horse that Rand steals at the very end of the book could very well have been Bela, and it would've given the whole thing a feeling of coming back full circle. 

And, the final sentence of the epilogue. Just very bittersweet. 

Bela nailed me. I was a wreck for the rest of the evening. I read that part at about 9 pm and was oringally planning to read until 11pm. I put the book down and moped around the house until I went to bed.

After doing a bunch of thinking about that though I have decided something: Even though it's not written, when the Heroes of the Horn appeared, one of them was riding a shaggy brown mare. That is the way it will stay for me no matter what anyone else says. The odd thing is that I wasn't a major Bela fan. She was just there and it was cool that she was there. She was in the first freaking chapter for goodness sake. She deserves better than to just die on a battle field in such an ignominious way. So she's now a steed for a Hero of the Horn.

I was mad that Egwene died, but it was glorious.

The fact that I read the last words made me very sad. They were great words. Very awesome bookending to the series, flipping the litany on it's head.

Then during the funeral, Rand not going to his father. That man was the reason all of this happened. He raised Rand right and loved him which gave Rand the strength he needed to do what was necessary. The man deserves another hug!

From what I've seen, I may be the only person who cried when Gawyn died. Not for him, but for Egwene, knowing how she would feel when he died. 

Gawyn's death struck me the most. He's actually retroactively become my favourite character. He grew so much & yet learned so little & died in such a dumb meaningless way, leaving Ewgene all alone. Yet he did everything because he thought he was doing the right thing & he was just a bit of a loveable idiot. I suppose I should have known Ewgene would die but when it happened it sort of snuck up & me & it took me a bit to process what had happened.

I just read the Gawyn chapter, and yes, it was a pretty good one. But, as many people have said, I didn't feel too sorry for Gawyn himself. I felt much more sorry for the people around him, Galad in particular. The image of him carrying Gawyn over his shoulder while the Last Battle rages around them still kind of chokes me up. 

And, of course, Gawyn's revelation about Rand at the end of that chapter was really well done. I kept wondering how Galad would find out, and it far exceeded my expectations. "I stopped... I stopped". Epic. Just freaking epic. 

Definitely Bela's death. If a wolf can be a hero of the horn then so should Bela.

After doing a bunch of thinking about that though I have decided something: Even though it's not written, when the Heroes of the Horn appeared, one of them was riding a shaggy brown mare.

My thoughts exactly. But then I wondered "What if Siuan is a Hero too?" Then I pictured Siuan Sanche as a Hero of the Horn precariously riding shaggy Bela into battle and smiled.

Bela, the cruel way Hurin's death was revealed (not so much the shock, my heart dropped when I saw he had a POV) just the way it was revealed and Abel consoling Tam at the end. 

Exactly! I mean, I understand it was necessary for some minor characters to die so that the final butcher's bill would be consistent, but why make the readers remember Hurin with a nice POV and then kill him in such a cruel and cheap way a few pages later?

It doesnt make any sense.

Rhuarc was worst for me and for Avi to do it.  Ouch.

Then Bashere. 

Egwene was expected.  Her character though was irritating to me through most of the books.  She had done much better in the last couple of books and then irritated me again at Merrilor with her talking to Rand.

Birgitte was the most shocking for me though.  They're being ambushed and bang!  Birgitte's dead. 

I felt more of a loss at Siuane and Bryne.

Rand riding off alone, not having told anyone.  The girls knowing, but having told nobody.  Ny'neave being the most tore up over it.  No perspective from Mat on Rand's death at all.  He just goes and starts shooting fireworks at random.  Perrin being so consumed by not even knowing if Faile had survived or not was bad, but no real take on Rand's death from him either.

Completely missed that Bela died.  I didn't care for the horse being used over and over again though, so no loss. 

Saddest for me was the offhand way that most of the deaths were mentioned.  With so many short pov sections in the book, I would have liked to see most of the named characters that had bigger parts previously be given at least a couple of paragraphs and kill them in person, rather than just a casual, oh so and so died, and his wife.  Next.  They were more important than that.

The worst though was Rand thinking the pipe was lit and it was lit...  It had no place in the books at all, and to come at the very end of the series in the last few pages ended the book on a low point for me.  I could have seen it if he wielded something like a combination of saidin, saidar and the true source at once, but thinking it.... wtf?  Like he walks half in/half out of tel'aran'rhiod maybe?

Bela nailed me. I was a wreck for the rest of the evening. I read that part at about 9 pm and was oringally planning to read until 11pm. I put the book down and moped around the house until I went to bed.

After doing a bunch of thinking about that though I have decided something: Even though it's not written, when the Heroes of the Horn appeared, one of them was riding a shaggy brown mare. That is the way it will stay for me no matter what anyone else says. The odd thing is that I wasn't a major Bela fan. She was just there and it was cool that she was there. She was in the first freaking chapter for goodness sake. She deserves better than to just die on a battle field in such an ignominious way. So she's now a steed for a Hero of the Horn.

The fact that I read the last words made me very sad. They were great words. Very awesome bookending to the series, flipping the litany on it's head.

Then during the funeral, Rand not going to his father. That man was the reason all of this happened. He raised Rand right and loved him which gave Rand the strength he needed to do what was necessary. The man deserves another hug!

I couldn't find anywhere that said one of the heroes rode a shaggy brown horse. Hend rode a large bay, and and Jain/Noal a white. It seems to me like Noal should have gotten Bela, not just some anonymous fancy white horse. Both of them were more than they seemed, and connected to Olver. Although the whole super-pony performance was a bit ridiculous for a cart horse, unless whatever Rand did to her in EoTW was permanent!

I couldn't find anywhere that said one of the heroes rode a shaggy brown horse. Hend rode a large bay, and and Jain/Noal a white. It seems to me like Noal should have gotten Bela, not just some anonymous fancy white horse. Both of them were more than they seemed, and connected to Olver. Although the whole super-pony performance was a bit ridiculous for a cart horse, unless whatever Rand did to her in EoTW was permanent!

It's *NOT* written in the book that one of the HotH rode a shaggy brown mare. I *DECIDED* that one of the HotH who was either not mentioned or we didn't see on screen was riding her. Therefore, in my mind, she's tied to the Horn, not as a Hero but as a faithful steed for one of them.

Archived