DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

Birgitte. I was left thinking, after she died, that it meant that Elayne could keep in contact with her over the World of Dreams, but it turns out she will never see her again. Sad as hell.

Lan "dying" affected me so much I immediately skipped ahead slightly to see if it was, as I was almost certain, temporary. 

But the saddest, I think, was how the story of Mat ended.

Imagine what the future holds, the way it ended.

Mat becomes a fat drunk, who probably cheats on Tuon because she doesn;t love him, he becomes worthless because there are no battles to fight and he is rich so no use gambling, Plus he will eventually be killed, probably by her own assassins and.....well, it was just sad thinking how everyone else had a bright future ahead except him.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the saddest, I think, was how the story of Mat ended.

Very true.  I had a really empty feeling when I realised I had read Mat's last POV and that he was basically completely disconnected from the lands and people he has known (apart from Min).  The Seanchan land isn't a place you would wish any character you love to end up, and I don't think Mat has the kind of will or ability as a single man to change it.  It wasn't so much that he was off to Seanchan, but that he doesn't even think about leaving his friends behind, or have any real interaction with non-Seanchan characters in the rest of the book (apart from his brief scene with Lan after he's killed Demandred).

"But the saddest, I think, was how the story of Mat ended.

Mat becomes a fat drunk, who probably cheats on Tuon because she doesn;t love him, he becomes worthless because there are no battles to fight and he is rich so no use gambling, Plus he will eventually be killed, probably by her own assassins and.....well, it was just sad thinking how everyone else had a bright future ahead except him."

I don't think he will end up badly. Remember the scene when he says to Artur Hawkwing to go to Fortuona to meet her and to say that he sent him. I guess being a friend with Artur Hawkwing means something for the SEanschan.:)

Sarene and those in a circle with Aviendha who were left defenceless to Graendal and compelled. Her warder died, Vitalien, and it was sad because he was dead at her feet and she didn't even care because she was too in love with Graendal. She used to write poetry about him - he was potentially the one Min viewed her having a 'torrid love affair' with. Sad sad sad :( and I imagine Sarene, the only compelled Aes Sedai who Graendal didn't drain, is now just a vegetable. But I'm going to live in hope that Nynaeve can Heal her - eventually.

I've read some of these and agree with many such as:

1) Olver blowing the horn as an act of desperation.

2) Perrin finding his little falcon at Merrilor (during the epilogue lol)

There are two places that caused me to tear.. 

Egwene of course, she was Green to the core and anyone who knows me, knows I don't give the title lightly.. but Egwene was the Greeniest Green. 

The second part was when Moraine walked in and was looking at Nynaeve.. then Nynaeve embraced her, giving her a big hug. 

Same with Birgitte, had she actually died, I'd have been actually sad.

But she did die - as far as anybody in that universe dies. She got to come back, save Elayne and say good-bye, but she the she was gone. Even if her reborn self chances to meet Elayne and everybody else that she interacted with, they won't know each other.

But she did die - as far as anybody in that universe dies. She got to come back, save Elayne and say good-bye, but she the she was gone. Even if her reborn self chances to meet Elayne and everybody else that she interacted with, they won't know each other.

it's difficult to be sad for someone who is better dead and reborn ( due to gaidal and lost memories ) than alive ...

The saddest moment is when I realized I actually read this book and there are no more chapters.

There is that too.. I just kinda held it in my hands for a few moments. Stood up, took it out to my husband and handed it over for him to read.

it's difficult to be sad for someone who is better dead and reborn ( due to gaidal and lost memories ) than alive ...

I was sad and surprised when she died - I was pretty sure she'd come back, but Min had a viewing of her linked to someone, sometimes older, sometimes younger, more lifetimes than 1...  I assumed that the sometimes older referred to this life, where Birgette was older and that the others would be her future lives (as she's always 'born' younger from TAR).  It made me wonder if I'd mis-remembered or mis-interpreted the viewing, so I was sad when she died. 

But you're right, the ending was quite nice in a way.

I was genuinely shocked by the quick and brutal way Birgitte was killed. I was disappointed that Egwene died - it just seemed like such a waste to die just to kill Taim? If she was going to die I would have expected a far more amazing end with at least a few Forsaken dealt with, leaving Rand free to take on Shai'Tan. Didn't she deserve that after all she has gone through and how she has developed through all the books from innkeeper's daughter to most powerful woman in Randland?

I can't believe how much Bela dying got to me. Just because she had been there from the very beginning and it would have been great to see her in the final scene. The way she knew what was needed, ran so fast and did her bit to save lives, a true Two Rivers horse!

I was gutted when Siuan died too. I hated it when the good characters were killed off!

I was genuinely shocked by the quick and brutal way Birgitte was killed. I was disappointed that Egwene died - it just seemed like such a waste to die just to kill Taim? If she was going to die I would have expected a far more amazing end with at least a few Forsaken dealt with, leaving Rand free to take on Shai'Tan. Didn't she deserve that after all she has gone through and how she has developed through all the books from innkeeper's daughter to most powerful woman in Randland?

I can't believe how much Bela dying got to me. Just because she had been there from the very beginning and it would have been great to see her in the final scene. The way she knew what was needed, ran so fast and did her bit to save lives, a true Two Rivers horse!

I was gutted when Siuan died too. I hated it when the good characters were killed off!

The more I think about it, I think that Egwene's death meant the most because not only did she take out a nouveau Forsaken and 99% of the Sharan channelers, she most likely saved the entire pattern from unraveling.

Brandon quoted in a q/a that her weave was witnessed. I believe it was when she idly did it at a crack with  ??the wise ones?? either way. It's not been lost. 

I think it was Silvana, she asked Egwene what the weave was. However, it was only a half-formed weave, not the full thing. 

Still, I'd say that they would put two and two together and work the rest out from there.

I'd also say SOMEONE saw the weave as she died. Merise and Narishma were at her side when it happened. They mysteriously disappear afterwards, however, Narishma survives at least, he heals Lan after killing Demandred. 

He doesn't seem to be angry or depressed, so I am assuming Merise also survived (in fact, she may have been with him, I can't recall) 

My sadest moment was Rj's long hard work developing charaters that even started from book one tobe written off like they were strangers passing in the night..To kill bella "come on!"she was a super horse for a saggy mare..so many times through the series bella survived death just to show up somewhere else and be that ride for another charater.

My sadest moment was Rj's long hard work developing charaters that even started from book one tobe written off like they were strangers passing in the night..To kill bella "come on!"she was a super horse for a saggy mare..so many times through the series bella survived death just to show up somewhere else and be that ride for another charater.

That's an accurate way to put it and I feel the same.

Gawyn's death, surprisingly, not to mention Siuan's. Egwene's death was easily the saddest though, just plain surprising and devestating. That said, I was expecting one of the Emond's Fielders to die, but I was banking on Perrin, given the prophecy at the end of Towers of Midnight. (What did that even mean, now?)

Siuan stands out the most.

She had been involved with the story right from the absolute begining (of this life time) when her and Moiraine witnessed the foretelling of Rand's birth.

Near the end she becomes increasingly unimportant despite having so much to offer.

Then she is randomly and unceremoniously killed off and forgotten about.

Archived