DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I've seen, I may be the only person who cried when Gawyn died. Not for him, but for Egwene, knowing how she would feel when he died. 

When Egwene died. She was one of my favorite characters. It was a fitting death, a worthy death, but I really wanted her the remain alive and bring sanity and stability to the Tower.

Siuan and Bryne. I liked them. I wanted them to be happy. (On a related note, I cried out in anger and disbelief when they initially named Bryne a Darkfriend.)

When Mellar tried to take Elayne's babies. I'm a mom. You don't do that.

Bela. (sniff sniff)

Well, Bela died protecting Faile by the looks of it. Does that change anything? heh

Well, having her babies cut out is an N-17 moment in a, at most PG series, so I was a bit stunned, but Elayne being saved was not surprising.

Sad...I will go with Siuane I think, I know she didn't do much in this book, but she was part of the team with Moiraine and didn't get the same happy ending.

I will also say that Aviendha getting her legs hacked up. This was an athletic, fiercely independent woman who just became disabled, for probably hundreds of years.

Bela. (sniff sniff)

Well, Bela died protecting Faile by the looks of it. Does that change anything? heh

Well, having her babies cut out is an N-17 moment in a, at most PG series, so I was a bit stunned, but Elayne being saved was not surprising.

Sad...I will go with Siuane I think, I know she didn't do much in this book, but she was part of the team with Moiraine and didn't get the same happy ending.

I will also say that Aviendha getting her legs hacked up. This was an athletic, fiercely independent woman who just became disabled, for probably hundreds of years.

Didn't she just lose a few toes in the end?

Bela. (sniff sniff)

Didn't she just lose a few toes in the end?

They said she would never walk right again.

I bawled the most at Jain and Birgitte's returns, but not out of sadness. Especially with so many deaths occurring offscreen, the saddest parts weren't the deaths themselves, but the reactions TO the deaths by characters I care so much about.

The book had quite a few sad moments. Two that really got to me were Egwene and Siaun's deaths. Even though I pretty much expected Egwene's after Gawyn activated and used the rings, I hated to see her die.

And Rhuarc being Compulsed. I really liked Rhuarc.

I'm with Daruya on Egwene and Siuan. As a huge Egwene fan, that was the only scene that I truly cried during (I get emotional just thinking about it). I just didn't expect her to be the first (and really the only) of the main characters to die. Yes, she went out in a blaze of glory and will probably go in the history books as the greatest Amyrlin to ever live, but it still somehow feels like a waste to me for her to die... yes, I know I'm being selfish, but still.

Siuan & Gareth dying was sad, especially as you knew it would happen based on Min's viewing--and Siuan knew it would happen but continued on because of the greater good. Siuan not getting a "proper send off" made me sadder. I think she deserved more than to die in an explosion and for it to be treated as an afterthought. I'd say the same for Davram, although to a lesser degree.

Rhuarac's death via Compulsion and then Avi killing him was hard too, especially considering that he was the rock among the Aiel. I was glad Amys did not turn around in that scene. 

I actually was quite touched by Annoura's sacrifice for Berelain--the scene where she tells her about Burning out saving Galad was very well done. We never learn if Nyn or Flinn can heal being burned out, do we?

Birgitte's death--and that whole scene with super creeper Mellar--is horrific, and I gasped when she was beheaded until I realized that meant she could then come back with the horn.

Bela.... as a Bela fan from the beginning, this struck me hard. 

Rhuarc was sad, such a strong proud man

Julian, Hurin.... good hearted minor characters who fought bravely. 

I was actually sad a bit for that Sharan woman who loved Demandred without knowing he was evil. It seemed Demandred felt the same for her too and almost tilted him back to the Light.

Robert Jordan fought in Vietnam and  had seen the dogs of war. He knew that no matter how good a person is, sometimes they meet inglorious deaths.

I actually think Egwene's death was probably the shining moment of her character in some ways. It was a bit like what you would expect to see the day Manetheren fell, thats how I saw it at least.

Lots of emotional stuff, to be honest Gawyn and Galad's last discussion was a real pro for Gawyn. He hated Rand yet still told Galad that he would still have a brother left alive. I still wish they had had a few moments to actually talk, Galad doesnt really show much emotion about it other than "oh light.."

So many moments I was convinced people were dead though. Mat, Galad, Lan even Faile. I think I will need a re-read in a few days once I finish digesting the book a bit more.

I cried horribly after Egwenes death. I might have been naive, but I never imagined her dying. I was so shocked, I was sad for days afterwards. I'm dreading reading the books again now, knowing who'll die and who'll survive; it makes me sad whenever I read those characters stories afterwards (I have the same with HP. Get a bit moist in the eyes everytime there's a scene with Dumbledore)

I had little to no emotional reaction to Egwene's death, simply because the scene was so poorly developed and handled.  My response was, essentially, "Wait, really?  No, that can't possibly be for real," followed by an "Oh, that sucks" once it was confirmed.

Saddest moment is probably Bela's death, as foolish as that sounds.  Most horrific was Elayne's capture.  Most of the rest of the deaths fell a little flat to me.

Rhuarc HURT. Oh my God did that hurt. I can't even properly describe how indescribable the pain from that is. When he was trapped by Graendal, I knew it was going to be awful. And it really did crush me.

That was saddest for me. The most emotional was Tam at the funeral. I actually read that scene out loud, almost like it was a eulogy, it moved me so much.

I am baffled many of you think that the death of a horse was the saddest death in the book , no offense i like animals but really ? Suian and Gareth was for me the most painful , their death was´t splendid and fulfilling ( plot wise )  like Egwenes ( i really like that scene , when she becomes light incarnated) or ( emotion wise ) like Gawyn ( yes i don´t like him ( even if I felt a bit sad at his well meant stupidity )) no Suian just died without any significance at all .

Archived