DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

1. When Avienda realized she had killed Ruark

2. Tam saying you did well my son.  I realized then that Rand would live on but Tam would never know.  That was sad to me.

I think Rand will end up telling Tam(and the rest of his closest friends). I think they did it this way to make it believable to the world.  What better way then to see his father break down and light the pyre? Nynaeve seemed to figure it out, as did Cadsuane. He may be mad at him, but he'll be grateful that he's alive. 

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bela.  It was sad because Bela has been through so much, and has been there from the absolute beginning.

I was horrified at Mellar going to cut the babes out.  I mean, in the entire series this was the one thing that really, really upset me.  That entire scene was extremely upsetting.

I can appreciate the death of Bela and its possible parallels to Egwene, but I felt the death was bit forced.

Egwenes dying; never been a big fan of her but it still got to me

Caemlyns fall; possibly the second most populous city in Randland falling to the Shadow. Added into this is Talmanes almost death

Rhuarc dying, killed by someone who is basically his niece

The number of people who die. Not just characters but the sheer scale; 1/2 of Elaynes army, 2/3 of Lans, 9/10 of those at Shaidar Logoth

It hit me pretty hard when the other characters are hearing that Lan lost 2/3 of his troops. The despair, the betrayal, the sheer loss of life.

I was getting a little annoyed in the first half when red shirts were going down by the thousands and no named characters were dying. That changed in a hurry.

we can all state different saddest moments in he book but the biggest death in the series is egwene. Willingly sacrificied herself to the end. No body else even comes close

Everyone who died in the Last Battle was there out of choice for the most part. She chose to die and take as many down with her because she would never be able to channel again. Thats a big move and a worthy one but that does not make her death any more meaningful than the countless men who held off trollocs so their comrades could withdraw. Just more effective for the overall battle. 

Her death brought the light a more even playing field by taking the Ayyad with her.

Oh, okay ya sorry lol but he did say the entire series in his post.

Um....she.....and it upset me because I've been pregnant and had babies, and am planning on having more babies, so...yeah.  It really upset me.

Not that I liked the rest of it, or didn't feel negative feelings because of it, but Mellar's scene just sickened me. 

Gawyn's death was the saddest. I couldn't even stand him but the bit about never being quite good enough was just so sad. And it being through a siblings perspective, then we get Egwene's anguish right after. I never thought those two would get to me.

Siuan and Byrne were terrible as well. Actually no, they were the worst.

Rhuarc didn't effect me so much. He was gone the moment Graendal got him.

Rand's "death" was ruined by how obvious it was that he hadn't. Dropped the ball on that one, in terms of impact.

Bela had to die, so that the wheel would continue spinning. Seriously. It was part of a carefully constructed plot, and was needed. Her death turned her into a body swap ter'angreal and ultimately saved rand's life. 

Saddest moments for me were having Cadsuane and Faile live.    Snarky but true.   They were easily my two least favorite characters in the series and while I never really had any hope for Faile dying, I thought Cadsuane might go.  

After that it was Bela because of how much the horse had been through only to get cut down at the end.   I wanted to see Rand riding Bela into the sunset at the end.  

Egwene was surprising but her death was epic so it wasn't sad.  Like Lan taught, don't weep for the dead, instead rejoice in their exploits. 

Egwene's death was sad, but the scene immediately after, where she convinces Rand that it was all worth it, was just epic.

You have embraced your death. Embrace mine.

Tears leaked from the corners of his eyes. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

Why?

“I’ve failed.”

No. Not yet you haven’t.

Ironic how Egwene was the true hero of the story. Also, i just realized that Egwene is the youngest character in the series, bar Olver and a few minor characters.

I thought Gawyn's death was sad, mostly for Egwene's reaction to it.  It was messed up.

Egwene's death was probably one of the saddest moments for me.  Going into this book, I thought she had a good chance for survival.  I mean, being built up as the greatest amyrlin in buttloads of years and being 'the amyrlin the white tower needs,' I really did think she was a safe bet.  What would be the to point to killing her off if she was so important.  But when Gawyn died, yeah, I think I thought she was pretty much done.  Anyway, I thought her death scene and the reactions to her death were very well written.  I felt emotional as I realized she was sacrificing herself.  It was a powerful scene, at least in my opinion.  She wasn't one of my favorite characters but I liked Egwene.  And while she was annoying at times, I think what makes her death even sadder to me is that everyone else from the Two Rivers is basically alive.  The fact that she's the only one that died, I don't know, it's really upsetting for some reason.  I guessed I'd have preferred if everyone from the Two Rivers had lived.

When Rand's body is in the tent and Moiraine has her hand on his face quietly whispering "You did well Rand.  You did well" or something to that effect, that hit me.  i think I actually teared up at that part.

As others have mentioned, Tam lighting Rands pyre was emotional as well.  Moiraine and Tom holding hands in front of it, Tam crying while saying goodbye and then going back and hugging Abell.  Kinda tugged on the heart strings.

Saddest moments for me were having Cadsuane and Faile live. Snarky but true. They were easily my two least favorite characters in the series and while I never really had any hope for Faile dying, I thought Cadsuane might go.

Yes why like the one AS who actually swore to do what was best for Rand, not herself or the WT. She saved his life, rescued him in FM and backed him to the hilt all while teaching the lesson to all the male channelers. She constantly was looking to help people and make them better. She developed a method of stilling for male channelers that integrated them back into normal life and allowed them to live an almost normal life span. She propped up thrones, took down bands of DFs and patrolled the blight. None of that matters though because was she was a big meanie to the DR. How dare she call him out when he was acting like a fool!

Saddest moments for me were having Cadsuane and Faile live. Snarky but true. They were easily my two least favorite characters in the series and while I never really had any hope for Faile dying, I thought Cadsuane might go.

Yes why like the one AS who actually swore to do what was best for Rand, not herself or the WT. She saved his life, rescued him in FM and backed him to the hilt all while teaching the lesson to all the male channelers. She constantly was looking to help people and make them better. She developed a method of stilling for male channelers that integrated them back into normal life and allowed them to live an almost normal life span. She propped up thrones, took down bands of DFs and patrolled the blight. None of that matters though because was she was a big meanie to the DR. How dare she call him out when he was acting like a fool!

Well, Moiraine was also doing everything she could for the Dragon, even consigning herself to years, possibly even more years of torture. So, let's not discount her :)

Well, Moiraine was also doing everything she could for the Dragon, even consigning herself to years, possibly even more years of torture. So, let's not discount her :)

Touché. Didn't mean to do that.

I don't like her because she was a complete Mary Sue character created late in the series to be the perfect Aes Sedai who is smarter, better, more knowledgeable, etc.   Then she gets to be Amyrlin.  Why not just name her Roberta Jordana.  

I don't like her because she was a complete Mary Sue character created late in the series to be the perfect Aes Sedai who is smarter, better, more knowledgeable, etc. Then she gets to be Amyrlin. Why not just name her Roberta Jordana.

It wasn't an official summons, we have no idea if she will end up as Amyrlin as she has avoided it before and you seem to have very little understanding of the character and what her role was if that is your take.

I don't like her because she was a complete Mary Sue character created late in the series to be the perfect Aes Sedai who is smarter, better, more knowledgeable, etc.   Then she gets to be Amyrlin.  Why not just name her Roberta Jordana.  

And Cadsuanne was one of the oldest living AS...wisdom has to count for something surely.

I'm not sure this is a bad? sad moment, but Noal rescuing Olver got to me.

Yeah that part in the book made me tear up something fierce.  None of the deaths did, but that part nailed me.

That's only happened for me a few times in books, and the most recent one was also by Brandon Sanderson in Way of Kings

When Dalonar gives up his Shard blade for all of the Bridge men's lives

I'm not sure this is a bad? sad moment, but Noal rescuing Olver got to me.

Yeah that part in the book made me tear up something fierce.  None of the deaths did, but that part nailed me.

That's only happened for me a few times in books, and the most recent one was also by Brandon Sanderson in Way of Kings

When Dalonar gives up his Shard blade for all of the Bridge men's lives

Dalinar!

Birgitte. Period. Very brutal an unexpected.

Although I think Mat being told he wasn't worthy to be a hero of the horn was vary sad to me. Seven out of ten main characters should hear that but not mat Perrin or rand.

That's not what he was told. He was told he had done more than enough to be among their number and they couldn't tell him why he wasn't.

If you really think about it, the answer is pretty clear.

It's his, the Gambler's choice to not be one. He'll do what's right but he's no bloody Lord and he's certainly no bloody Hero. Just ask him :wink:

Archived