DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Saddest moments in the book

Jason Denzel

Gareth and Suian was a big one, it wasn't glorious at all. It was abrupt and quick and I feel as though they deserved something a little more.

All through the last books, Siuan has been either with Egwene or right next to Gareth. I think it's implausible that she just up and leaves Gareth (while he is under compulsion no less) decides that Mat is in danger (to my knowledge she does not have the talent of foretelling)sneaks up and saves Min while getting herself killed.

She could have felt Mats ta`veren pull. The Pattern weaves as the Pattern wills.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bella made it to the end - she made it  to getting the horn to olver and then getting him to a place where he could reach his hiding place.. and blow the horn.. The hornblower blew and the heroes came... the tide was turned the Shadow routed.She made it No one else of the Light died after that, it was Darkfriends,Dreadlords and enemy armies after that.Bella made it to the end of the III Age- that is what this was all about the start of a new age, the end of the Dark Lord's ability to directly touch humanity.LOL the horse had a purpose and made it and so many other's didn't.

im sure becouse bandon posted it and bela is not a main character

Out of curiosity, why are you so confident in that claim rabbittmaster?

Brandon never said that the character was a main character. He only said that Harriet told him that a character he had alive was supposed to die. 

And are you serious? Bela isn't a main character? Bela is HUGE. 

Bella made it to the end - she made it  to getting the horn to olver and then getting him to a place where he could reach his hiding place.. and blow the horn. The hornblower blew and the heroes came... the tide was turned the Shadow routed.She made it No one else of the Light died after that, it was Darkfriends,Dreadlords and enemy armies after that.

Bella made it to the end of the III Age- that is what this was all about the start of a new age, the end of the Dark Lord's ability to directly touch humanity.LOL the horse had a purpose and made it and so many other's didn't.

Bella has been a character of some  importance since she got Egwene to the Aiel through the dream world, was her preferred mount ever since and always she has outperformed other mounts and given service.

A horse is a horse of course of  course...

Brandon never said that the character was a main character. He only said that Harriet told him that a character he had alive was supposed to die. 

I thought having her die was horrible. I also didn't like the way some characters were dispatched with one liners.

She's almost Narg-level

robert jordan i truely beleive did not intend to have Egwene killed

i know that Barid Bel Medar, will edit this but bela is a horse and not a main character i just feel it was harriet who had brandon kill Egwene

Bela is practically a main character to me. Been around since early days, in the series alot, talked about heaps on the forums. She is on the same tier as Lan and Thom for me.

Before you try to pull the "poor me getting bullied by the mod" act, quit while you are ahead. 

Your comment about Harriet was totally inapproriate, and if you don't know why, you probably shouldn't be here. Read the CoC. Personal insults have never and are not tolerated by the CoC. 

The saddest moments for me... 

When Tam lit the pyre.

When Nynaeve didn't figured out Rand is alive. She is the one caring most for Rand, not his three lovers, she deserve to know the truth.

The moment when Rand is in his new body and getting a new chance.

The moment when Olver is saved by Noal.

Ila's thoughts about her grandson.

Rhuarc... I like him so much, he didn't deserved such kind of death. He was so faithful to Rand's mission, forgiving Rand`s flaws.

When Mat almost died at the end of the Last Battle, because of the Dark One's trying to make him die.

Gaul's determination to make his best in the dream.

God, I'm glad that stupid horse is dead.  The only thing better would have been if she hadn't been mentioned at all.  That whole thing was nothing but Disney fodder. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought Gawyn's character was one of the few that were handled in a truly evocative manner.  He and Galad going to fight Demandred seemed like fitting developments.  Initially I was a little skeptical about the rings not giving him the advantage I'd have thought, but then I suppose he took out 3 of them at once by himself, so perhaps the advantage really isn't that strong.  Sure, he could act like a brat, but I find him not nearly as bratty as some other characters.  Since vying for the position of Egwene's warder I'd found his motivations and frustrations realistic and understandable.  So yeah, that part actually hooked me.

I'll never know how emotional Egwene's death would have been since I accidentally spoiled that for myself by clicking on this board before I realized it was the full spoiler board.  Her death scene felt downplayed by it's chaotic surroundings.  It needed more gravity, more attention.  I would have been happy if they'd returned to it a little more at the end of the book, just to show it the reverence it deserved.  DIdn't like that.

Siuan was rough, but that got run over pretty quickly too. 

God, I'm glad that stupid horse is dead.  The only thing better would have been if she hadn't been mentioned at all.  That whole thing was nothing but Disney fodder.

Lol...exactly bat. Solid call. Although I will miss Mr Ares being able to *kneecaps* people when they make the dumb bela=creator jokes.

@Ryrin (It's not letting me quote you right now for some reason)

I completely agree. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure everyone was aware of Min's viewing of Suian and Bryne. Egwene has never been a character to heedlessly throw lives aware, nor was Bryne in any type of position that required them to separate. He had been relieved of his command and was just fighting. They could have stayed together and I feel as though they deserved much more than just being inserted into some BS about splitting up and being killed off.

All this Bela talk though... I personally didn't care too much. I can understand why everyone is upset by it. She represented the good days in the books. Back when the boys and Egwene had been innocent. She was the constant that had been through it from the get go and seeing her killed off, albeit in a great way I think, is understandly a sad moment. Still, felt no real emotional tie to her haha.

1) Egwene's reaction to Gawyn's death and dies after that ( Neither I liked her nor disliked, but when I read the scene, something inside me was very sorry for her and Rand also felt the same way:( )

2) Rhuarc's destiny was really horrific, he always may find shade and water and one of the most respected character through the series with Lan.

3) Rand disappearance in the night in the body of Moridin, two prophecies fulfilled, three women in a boat and standing on his own grave, without letting Min,Elayne and Aviendha know that he is alive. Love is not such a simple thing to let it go to easily like him. He wanted to beat the DO to love again and again.

4)Siuan and Bryne. I expected to them die but it was a very surprising to see them to die by Min's vision which we thought was avoided.

5) Rand's vision against the Dark One. Seeing Elayne knowing something is very wrong.

6) Not knowing the questions asked to Aelffin and requests to Eelfins by Moiraine and Lanfear ( I am not sure that these were not told, I read the book too fast maybe missed them) It is not saddest moment maybe:) but I really wished to know them, I thought Rand understood how to seal the bore in the last minute and second.

7) It was very easy for Rand to beat the Dark One like he is a fly:)

- Surprisingly, Gawyn. But it was more for Galad than Gawyn. Gawyn getting smacked by Demandred had me kind of relieved. I was dreading that Demandred would be taken down by that fool. And so him being cut down had me relieved and I was too busy thinking he was an idiot and what it would do to Egwene to care. But his talk to Galad got me. Telling Galad he had a brother in Rand, and not to hate him. Really got me. 

Reading that from Galad's point of view was heart-wrenching.

Reading the beginning paragraph for the last time.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Seeing Loial again.

The Ogier singing.

The first few Lan points of view.

Androl telling Pevara why he became an Asha'man.

So very many others, saying goodbye to an old friend is not easy.

- Surprisingly, Gawyn. But it was more for Galad than Gawyn. Gawyn getting smacked by Demandred had me kind of relieved. I was dreading that Demandred would be taken down by that fool. And so him being cut down had me relieved and I was too busy thinking he was an idiot and what it would do to Egwene to care. But his talk to Galad got me. Telling Galad he had a brother in Rand, and not to hate him. Really got me. 

Reading that from Galad's point of view was heart-wrenching.

Reading the beginning paragraph for the last time.

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Seeing Loial again.

The Ogier singing.

The first few Lan points of view.

Androl telling Pevara why he became an Asha'man.

So very many others, saying goodbye to an old friend is not easy.

For me it was the very ending quote as well. I didn't put it in my earlier post. The sense of finality to the series really hit me after I read it, especially considering it ended with Rand riding off with a wind kicked up around him.

Yeah, definitely. Above all that was the saddest part for me. Reading

"He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone."

The first time I got choked up was where we get a quote from Loial's book. Except it said "From the notebook of Loial son of..."

I yelled aloud "YOU CAN'T KILL LOIAL!!!"

From there it was all downhill.

Egwene's death got to me, but it was noble, therefore not overly sad. 

Birgette's passing was absolutely heart-wrenching. I cried. When she came back as a hero, I cried harder.

Noal coming back to Olver. Olver's whole arc.. Just depressing.

When I thought Lan died. Poetic, and just... But it got to me. And when he stood with Dem's head in his hand.. I lost it all over again.

Perrin laying down to die when he assumed Faile was done. I never really liked Faile. I wanted her to die. But when I realized it would actually kill Perrin as well (like he said earlier in the series), I felt for him.

The funeral pyre. Man, oh man. All those people that loved the DR, that were thankful for his sacrifice, saying goodbye.. I'm welling up right now!

Yeah I totally forgot about Bela...

This hit me especially hard since we heard it from Brandon that she'd live. It was a combination of sadness and anger...

Archived