DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gay Male Character In Towers of Midnight

Luckers

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I always thought Guybon has a bit of a crush on Elayne. Maybe he's just really loyal to the Daughter-Heir as part of his job, but there are some hints it's bit more personal than that in his case.

Most likely the gay character is one of the Asha'man, for the reasons Barid Bel Medar gave.

Oh, come on. It's totally Moridin. He's had the hots for Rand since the Age of Legends. All this philosophy stuff is just his way of denying his true feelings. Scorned love always leads to the deepest hate.

Well that makes Demandred a pretty good candidate.

Oh, come on. It's totally Moridin. He's had the hots for Rand since the Age of Legends. All this philosophy stuff is just his way of denying his true feelings. Scorned love always leads to the deepest hate.

Well that makes Demandred a pretty good candidate.

Supposedly Demandred had the hots for Ilyena.

Although yeah, i see the reasoning.

Edit: @evoke, note that RJ didnt put anything about this in the notes, so it wouldnt be Moridin. Brandon wouldnt tamper with such a main character that much. It has to be a fairly minor one. I understand why one would think Moridin homosexual, but i see him more as asexual. He just doesnt care for anything really.

Man, I really can't blame Demandred for hating LTT's guts. "He's better than me by a shade in absolutely everything, and he gets the girl? You've got to be kidding me!"

@Master Ablar

yeah, I can totally understand, thats why I like his character. Certainly, he is evil, but he is not your typical sadistic just plain evil villian. You can actually understand why he went over.

I think we all experience what he did (although to a far lesser extent). There is always someone better than us, no matter how hard we try.

In any case, lets not get too off topic.

Im interested, Luckers, what do you say to my point in a previous post? About the scene in AMOL already written, that was supposed to be in TOM.

Am I correct in saying that the 50,000 Pevera/Black Tower part are the only scenes of AMOL written that were supposed to be in TOM?

I second the vote on Balwer. He seemed infatuated and unusually possessive of Pedron Niall. (Maybe there was something going on between the two?)

My second guess Dain Bornhald. Why? because he's a whitecloak. Are there any female whitecloaks? Sounds suspicious to me.

@El Oscuro, HAHAHAHAHAH

Well now I just feel inclined to submitt the following list of ammendments Brandon should consider:

This isn't about the gay community being a minority which is sometimes mistreated in western society. Brandon isn't chasing real-world injustices via his writing. Sexuality in general and homosexuality in particular has been a part of TWoT from the beginning. As such it strikes some people as odd that male homosexuals didn't make an appearance, and Brandon appears to be one of those people. He isn't reacting to pressure, he merely revealed that he's actually already written a scene featuring this motif.

BTW my personal belief is that RJ, as many other heterosexual men, found the notion of lesbianism more fetching than male homosexuality. It's not surprising that his writing reflects that, and I don't think it amounts to homophobia (or sexism, as was suggested in the other thread). I don't think he'd have gotten around to writing such a scene into his books eventually, but neither do I believe he would have a problem with it. Since Harriet is the only one who should decide on this - and she's already Brandon's editor - I don't think anyone should complain.

EDIT: got sidetracked by a call from my mum, so my original post ended in the middle of a sentence.

If it's a throwaway reference, say that a certain male character has a "pillow-friend" or the equivilent, that won't be so bad. Still rank tokenism, but I was never under any illusions about Sanderson.

If we spend a lot of space introducing the lifestyle of this character, it isn't just tokenism, it's wasted space.

Don't think Sanderson has the luxury of extended backstory given the daunting technical requirements of wrapping so many plotlines.

It might be a reference of the kind that enabled Cadsuane's blackmail of the sea-folk windfinder and moved the plot along.

Example "X heard such and such from Y who was Z's lover."

Taim being gay would also fit the SS / SA stereotype of Rohm. If it's Taim.

I highly doubt the gay guy is Moridin. Only argument I've really seen that people say makes Moridin possibly gay is that he hasn't done anything (that we know of) with Cyndane or Moghedian. For one, he probably doesn't care a whole lot with doing that when he has bigger stuff to deal with. And two, I could probably assume that he has raped Cyndane a few times

Rodel Ituralde and King Alsalam. Makes sense. They're in a working relationship that makes it difficult for either of them to act on their feelings. Being a King and his number one general (a Great Captain, no less,) it makes sense why this little detail would be relevant enough to mention (their reunion) without being a diversion or a minor aside. We've already seen the loyalty Ituralde shows to Alsalam, it's clear he loves the man. It wouldn't be a surprise, really, to find out he actually loves the man.

And yeah, that cover is hilarious. Still, I don't get why anybody's worried about this. Good on Brandon.

(Note: Ituralde is married, apparently, but I don't think Alsalam is.)

Another possibility, given Brandon's clue that the scene was pushed into AMoL, is Hurin. We were about to see Rand apologize for his dickish behavior in TGS. Maybe the Sniffer's been carrying a torch for the Dragon, he did seem pretty upset.

Just because RJ made his references to these characters' particular challenge subtle doesn't mean it's not there. I mean, RJ's two dwarf characters are pretty prominent. One was rescued in TofM, and the other leads a large, powerful nation (and gets double points for being blackdark-skinned).

Are you referring to Moiraine and Tuon?

Just because RJ made his references to these characters' particular challenge subtle doesn't mean it's not there. I mean, RJ's two dwarf characters are pretty prominent. One was rescued in TofM, and the other leads a large, powerful nation (and gets double points for being blackdark-skinned).

Umm, I don't think Moiraine and Tuon are dwarves. They're short, but in the same sense that someone can be short on Earth and not be a dwarf.

I'd quite like it if it turned out to be Gawyn, purely to see Egwene's reaction.
From what I read from Encyclopaedia's pages, it seems Gawyn is still in love with Egwene and not with anyone else.

I'm seventeen and gay (and, also, sadly, new to the forums) and I'm a little disappointed that no one like Terez or Luckers has pointed out that that fake AMOL cover isn't really all that funny and is kind of offensive; or the irony in a thread that started this way producing a few gay jokes. I get why: it's literally impossible to have this kind of discussion productively on the Internet, and this really isn't the place for it, since we should all just be happy to discuss WOT here, but still.

I'm sorry that you were offended, but I need to offer my $0.02

Feminists, gay rights activists and all these other people want the group they represent to be treated equally, just like everyone else, and I believe that is fantastic. I don't even really understand why people have a problem with someone else just because of their race, gender, or orientation, it just seems ignorant.

However, being treated equally, at least in my opinion, also means that to a certain extent you've got to be able to take a joke about yourself. You can't demand equal treatment and then at the same time demand special treatment in certain circumstances. I crack off-color jokes with my friends a lot, and they crack some at me, but we never take it personally. That being said, I think the cover fell into that category, depicting a stereotype in a funny way that wasn't meant to be taken personally or cause harm.

And just an FYI, I have a gay uncle and he's seriously one of the coolest people I know :biggrin: .

Archived