DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gay Male Character In Towers of Midnight

Luckers

What about Galad?

He hasn't really jumped at to the hottest girl in all of Randland who is throwing herself at him.

Didn't we also hear she would be spurned by her new infatuation?

Uh, I think it's quite clear in the text that Galad is head-over-heels infatuated with Berelain.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A trifle over-reactive, don't we think people? There is a gay male character in aMoL. That's all, it is not a gay male character indulging in abhorrent acts of evil and the works of the dark one thus confirming some perceived anti-gay bias in WoT. This is hardly worth getting 'offended' about.

I thought the cover was very original and yes it was funny. That's my opinion, peeps. Was that from scratch or is this the 'tweaked' DKS cover?

I imagine the reference to said characters sexuality will take up all of two sentences and barely affect the flow of the story. It will just show an additional depth to said character's mindset, personality and motivation.

This is called conjecture, kids, and this is what goes on these fora.

If I was criticise anything about RJ's portrayal of gay characters it is that they are a trifle fluffy and clandestine for my taste. But hey, it's a minor criticism and to be fair, it is in keeping with his fluffy, pans-the-camera-to-the-roaring-fire portrayal of heterosexuality too.

My money is on Ituralde.

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced it is Dobraine. It never made sense that a prominent noble, in a heriditary aristocracy, remained unmmarried at his age.

Though Balwer and Norry are reasonable enough guesses.

There's no way it will be one of the bad guys.

For some additional light-hearted stereotyping, I'll note that we have read that Talmanes owns 30 pairs of boots.

I know three gays (two of them are a couple) and they are probably three of the funniest guys I know. If any of them gave a fig about WoT, I bet they would find the cover hilarious. These guys are comfortable with who they are. Of course, they're in their 20s and 30s.

Back to the point, I wouldn't care at all if there was some mention that one character or another is gay, but it does annoy me that BS seems to be making a specific point of including a gay character for the sake of PC. In my humble opinion, Oscuro's cover is not a parody against gays, its a parody against PC nonsense. More power to him. I still think the cover needs to be A Memory of Tights.

Edit: Sorry - just saw that Luckers is making some changes to cleanse the thread of all possibly offensive material. Please feel free to erase or move post.

The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. ~Henry Steele Commager

There were some very thoughtful posts in here and I truly hope they are being moved to the "inclusion" thread instead of flat out erased. Get any offensive posts out by all means but this scorched earth policy is no bueno.

Lord Algarin of House Pendaloan

I'm thinking it's probably an Ashaman. After all, most of the girl on girl stuff happened in the WT so it would balance things out if there was homosexual goings-on in the BT too.

Maybe, but the ashaman have no restrictions like the novices, which is often what led to the girl on girl stuff.

I'm thinking it's probably an Ashaman. After all, most of the girl on girl stuff happened in the WT so it would balance things out if there was homosexual goings-on in the BT too.

Maybe, but the ashaman have no restrictions like the novices, which is often what led to the girl on girl stuff.

Well they might be restricted from interacting with women too much. After all, they're supposed to be weapons and training non-stop. Apart from that, I imagine many women would be too scared to go near a man who can channel.

Well they might be restricted from interacting with women too much. After all, they're supposed to be weapons and training non-stop. Apart from that, I imagine many women would be too scared to go near a man who can channel.

You make a strong point, especially with your second argument.

Archived