DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

One scene I love was with Mat and Perrin; its still obvious they are close and I hope when they meet up with Rand just those three have a quiet moment, sitting back and joking around. What I also love as well is when perrin found out who Mats wife was, he didnt chuck a fit or anything, he just accepted it. Thats what makes Perrins character - his acceptance.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite "THING"? Who kills Asmo relegated to the (chuckle, laugh, guffaw, chokes on own uncontrollable laughter) GLOSSARY!! A perfect illustration of just how "important" the event was. A genius bit of accidental (or not so accidental) commentary from Brandon. BRAVO!!

It was inferred in the actual text. Pretty clearly.

Once in a conversation between Graendal and Moridin and later reinforced in the 'conversation' between Graendal and Shaidar Haran.

Moridin - "Aran'gar is dead. Lost to us - and after the Great Lord transmigrated her soul the last time. One might think you are making a habit of this sort of thing Graendal."

Graendal - "I like to serve Nae'blis>"

Moridin - "Surely you do not imply that Aran'gar had turned traitor."

He implies that she's done this sort of thing before, directly causing a Forsaken's death and with her reasoning prior being that the person she killed was a traitor. Now, who fits that bill perfectly?

EDIT - Already stated. lol. And at the top of the page no less! Yeah, we'll go with that.

i was surprised at how funny this book was. not just Mat, there were alot of little character moments that made me chuckle. more than any previous WoT book anyways. I listened to the audiobook, so maybe it was just brilliant delivery/timing by Kramer/Reading, but i was laughing a lot in this book. here are the three that have stuck with me so far:

Rodel Ituralde: In Maradon when the walls come down and he starts to tell some men not to run around like its Tarmon Gai'don, then realizes where he is.

Grady and Neald: during the bubble of evil that hit Perrin's camp when everyone's weapon came to life and attacked them, it says the two Asha'man just looked at their weapons, casually waved their hand and stopped them. this is just such a funny mental image to me, I giggle every time i think about it!

Mat (of course!): His letter to Elayne had me rolling on the floor. hands down, one of the funniest things i have ever read in a book ever.

Favorite things by category:

Favorite line; there are many but for now I choose this one from Mat:"And you gave me the way out! Chew on that bitterness for lunch, you flaming, burning, misbegotten liars!"

Favorite fight scene: Perrin vs. Slayer in Tar Valon (Gawyn vs. the 3 Bloodknives comes in second)

Favorite reunion/brief meeting scene: Perrin and Egwene (it reminded me of the reunion scenes from the early books The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn, and the fact that Perrin showed Egwene how it's done was awesome)

Favorite grander action scene: The Tower of Ghenjei

Most horrifying scene/moment: realizing that the channelers in the Black Tower are being turned to the Shadow one by one

Favorite POV: Perrin

Least favorite POV: Fortouna (Mat needs to beat some sense into his wife and the rest of the Seanchen)

Overall book: loved the military buildup; I think Rand played it cleverly by announcing he intends to break the seals; that way he gets everybody to go with him, maybe minus the Seanchen

What I didn't like was the somewhat confusing timelines of the many characters and the fact that it ended in such a BLOODY CLIFFHANGER. A little disappointed that there was no Logain and no Loial.

Then that comment about enjoying breaking the Damane in arrives and every one of those points she's managed to nab in my books evaporates.

It was out of character, honestly. As was her being freaked out by Nynaeve and feeling like the animal was licking her ankle. Before TGS she was the most open-minded of the Seanchan except perhaps Egeanin, and definitely the most open-minded considering her raising and position. Now she's just like Suroth was. RJ always made a distinction between the two. She went from "The a'dam can be used to punish, though that is seldom done." to "I get off on seeing them suffer."

you have to remember, before TGS, she was always around Mat, her open mindedness could very well have had alot to with with his Ta'veren-ness. Now that she is away from Mat, maybe she is back to her old self? either way, it makes perfect sense to me that she is a different person without Mat around.

Some of my favorite moments:

-Literally pretty much anything Mat did, there was so much hilarity, and the battle against the gholam was awesome.

-Perrin deflecting balefire like it ain't no thang in TAR.

-Rand meeting the farmer again!

-Nynaeve's testing.

-Lan's latter stages of his journey and the final charge.

And the whole "the a'dam can be used to punish, though that is rarely done" thing is complete BS, does anyone else notice that? Think back on how much, say, Egwene got punished, and that's not to mention how they broke the will of the other captured Aes Sedai.

It's sure as heck being used to punish, and a LOT. Either Tuon was lying or she's got serious blinders over her eyes.

Although one overlooked scene IMO was where Egwene totally schooled the Hall of the Tower. The only part of that I didn't like was how two AS walked in and said

"What are we standing for?"

"Something important."

"Oh well I guess I'll stand too."

"Me too."

Not too dissimilar from the way politics in the real world works though.

More proof Egwene is also tavereen. What else could explain away the fact that she, too, finds what she needs before she knows she needs it?

No, more proof of how powerful a ta'veren Rand is.

Ultimately Rand needs Egwene in control of the Tower, thus the Wheel will see that Eggy gets whatever she needs to maintain that position.

As mentioned, if Eggy were ta'veren Siuan would notice the glow.

Some of my favorite moments:

-Literally pretty much anything Mat did, there was so much hilarity, and the battle against the gholam was awesome.

-Perrin deflecting balefire like it ain't no thang in TAR.

-Rand meeting the farmer again!

-Nynaeve's testing.

-Lan's latter stages of his journey and the final charge.

And the whole "the a'dam can be used to punish, though that is rarely done" thing is complete BS, does anyone else notice that? Think back on how much, say, Egwene got punished, and that's not to mention how they broke the will of the other captured Aes Sedai.

It's sure as heck being used to punish, and a LOT. Either Tuon was lying or she's got serious blinders over her eyes.

Hmm...I suspect most of Tuon's experience is with native born Seanchan Damane.They are so programmed by their culture that they SHOULD be leashed that they probably are punished much less than the Aes Sedai who resist (futilely) being Damane.

There are too many great scenes ... I'll just pick a few funny scenes that aren't mentioned:

1) Birgitte finding the pin needle on the Lion Throne seat and plopping on the seat before Elayne

2) Such brief matrimony held by Perrin for Morgase and Tallanvor

3) Olver's funny POV (prior to the revelation of contents of Verin's letter)

4) Berelain's discussion with Alliandre on the insignificance of romance yet falling head over heels for Galad the moment he showed up

5) Birgitte upset about having her legend in Tower of Ghenjei lost

etc.

Guest TemperMode

"You could charm the helmet off a general on a battlefield, couldn't you, Mat?" she said.

"Mat?" the man asked in a familiar voice. "I don't know what you mean, my good woman. My name is Garard, a simple beggar who has a quite interesting past, if you care to listen to it-"

Am I the only one that laughed their ass off at this? I loved Mat's infatuation with intricate back stories.

Also, anyone else think that the healing effects of the warder bond may be enough to negate the effects of the blood poisoning of the seanchan ninja terrangreal? Which would mean that Gawyn and two other warders could wear them and not die. Could come in very useful.

Among others, and in no particular order:

"Wait, Mat. What about the Aelfinn?"

"Oh Fuuuudge!" (Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!)

The Red Veiled monstrosities.

How do you know that name?

I've been waiting for that scene to happen for about a decade and a half, since the very first scene with Lews Therin and Elan Morin in the wrecked palace. I literally had that exchange written out in my head, wanting only for someone to fill in the name.

She's baaaack - both Moiraine getting out *and* Rand finally learning that Mierin is still kicking around.

"I remember when he was first named Destroyer of Hope. After he betrayed the Gates of Hevan, and carried the Shadow down into the Rorn M'doi and the heart of Satelle. Hope did seem to die that day. Culan Cuhan wept"

Finally! We might get to see this happen again! Bye bye Caemlyn...

There were many satisfying moments in the book.

Rand stomping the guts out of the Shadowspawn army threatening Maradon.

Perrin shrugging off Egwene's ropes and stopping balefire with his superior T'A'R kung fu. (Egwene needs more of this. What's her deal? Marshaling armies to 'convince' the Dragon not to break the seals? What is she going to do, attack him if he doesn't comply? Arrogant wench.)

Several other good Perrin moments. (Forging, saving Whitecloaks, Slayer fight, etc.)

Rand cutting Cadsuane down on the 'boy' crap.

The sacking of Caemlyn (maybe?), or anything else that gives Elayne grief. (She has become selfish and power-hungry, and I can no longer abide her. She is worse than a Cairhienin for gluttonous scheming and a hypocrite to boot. If Caemlyn were to burn because she ran off with all her armies to threaten the Dragon then she deserves her tears.)

Another fantastic step along the path to TG - well done Brandon and crew. A few of my favorite things, from ToM:

- the symmetry of Nyn reaching the same conclusion as Moiraine - regardless of the testing, my Aes Sedai work will continue

- Mandard giving up the goose on Lan's true identity

- Rand's humility when he sees Cads again and her in-kind response while not completely catering to him; also Rand asking after Hurin so he could apologize

- Morgase's dedication to serving tea well and her PoV re: Perrin, especially her feeling somewhat betrayed when he told Wil to burn all of the Wolfhead banners; Morgase learning Gaebril was actually Rahvin and then her discussion with Tallanvor about it

- the ebb and flow of the tension during the Borderland meeting, at one point I thought for sure we were going to see Rand's first one-handed sword fight and his earning the right to the herons in front of witnesses

- Hopper to Perrin: "The newest pups always blame the elders of the pack", then Galad to himself "Only a fool refused to listen to advice from those older and wiser than himself. But only a fool took all of the advice given him."

- Learning that both women and men have been Foretelling for the dark

- Master Andra

- Rakim "If we ride only to death, then the trail will be easier than I'd thought."

- Mat getting danced about by a pretty woman, yet again, when the tavernmaid snatched Verin's letter - classic

- Neald's response to linking

....and so many more

Although one overlooked scene IMO was where Egwene totally schooled the Hall of the Tower. The only part of that I didn't like was how two AS walked in and said

"What are we standing for?"

"Something important."

"Oh well I guess I'll stand too."

"Me too."

Not too dissimilar from the way politics in the real world works though.

Yup, especially when they're members of the same voting bloc.

1. Perrin's attitude towards Egwene.

2. Nynaeve not really being worried about not passing the test. She'll fight at the last battle anyway and be at Rand's side.

3. Faile's PoV's. 

4. Rand calling Mierin "Mierin"

5. Rand meeting Egwene. Could've been a bit longer, though.

Disappointing:

1. Moiraine freed. The tower stuff was fine if a bit short. I didn't particularly like how they got out. And I hated the first scene with Moiraine being awake. We were waiting for this for how many books? I was excited to have her back and it seemed very anticlimactic to me. I wish she'd met Rand in this book already cause the meeting with Mat and Thom just seemed boring and superficial.

2. Berelain and Galad. Yes, it's been foreshadowed for ages but still seemed kinda silly.

3. The terrible plot device that was Verin's letter. The instructions she gave served no purpose at all. They just existed to make sure nobody knows about the upcoming invasion until it's (almost) too late. Very weak writing/plotting. 

4. Elayne's attitude. Man, give poor Mat a hug already when you meet him. Isn't he like... you know.. a friend by now? 

The "the a'dam is seldom used to punish" comment

Ah, but Tuon doesn't use it to PUNISH, she uses it to 'train' or 'correct' the damane. Punishing would be if they misbehaved on purpose. Misbehaving becayse they don't know better is just 'correcting'

Ah, but Tuon doesn't use it to PUNISH, she uses it to 'train' or 'correct' the damane. Punishing would be if they misbehaved on purpose. Misbehaving becayse they don't know better is just 'correcting'

Well, sociopaths are always able to justify their behaviour. That doesn't mean that they're anything other than a bunch of psychotic freaks.

My favorite line might be the one that works so well as a euphamism Sanderson never intended.

"Damn, that Rand/Avi/Min/Elayne foursome scene was so hot, I had to go ease the badger."

"I loved the scene where Elayne was drowned in her bathtub so much, I had to go ease the badger."

"I'm not really into spanking, but the scene where Egwene had to meet her toh to Rhuarc...well, she deserved it so much that it made me need to ease the badger."

Guest jonnynature

I have always been a big fan of the Perrin/Wolf storyline and 2 scenes that stand out for me were:

- the wolves at dragonmount with Perrin witnessing Rand's transformation at the end of TGS. I loved how they all embraced The Last Hunt with Perrin apparently the pack leader

- Hopper's death and Perrin's reaction to it...the pain he felt for losing a friend and mentor, one that nobody but Elyas could understand

I also like how all three of the boys have "super" weapons now, Rand with Callandor, Mat with ashandarei and now Perrin has Mah'alleinir!

Archived