DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

^Yes, when Morgase gave her ruling and and left the sentence of the ruling up to Galad I was loving how she wanted to make Galad quit thinking the world was black and white.

I also liked at the later battle when the whitecloaks were breaking rank and running and he understood the Children of the Light dogma was full of sh!t.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh oh oh!!! Also, in the epilogue, sneaky BS throwing in through Shaidar Haran the "3 Chosen" comment, finally revealing bloody Asmo's killer!! Pretty inconsequential though... really.

This was actually revealed much earlier in the book in a chapter with Graendal and Moridin. Paraphrasing here:

Moridin - You are making a habit of killing Chosen

Graendel - I live to serve

Moridin - You're not implying that Aran'gar was (an "also" is implied here) a traitor are you?

Conclusion - Graendal had previously killed another Chosen (otherwise it wouldn't be a habit) and the other one had been a traitor. This was the reveal, the later chapter with SH and the glossary was just confirmation.

I agree with most of the ones listed here, and most of the sentiments regarding the characters. I did like Mat, I thought Egwene was annoying etc.

Although one overlooked scene IMO was where Egwene totally schooled the Hall of the Tower. The only part of that I didn't like was how two AS walked in and said

"What are we standing for?"

"Something important."

"Oh well I guess I'll stand too."

"Me too."

Other than that it was great how the one was sitting there trying to figure out what Eg was doing and she finally realized...just a second too late. Then Egwene finally shakes a little sense into them by rewriting Tower Law.

More proof Egwene is also tavereen. What else could explain away the fact that she, too, finds what she needs before she knows she needs it?

More proof Egwene is also tavereen. What else could explain away the fact that she, too, finds what she needs before she knows she needs it?

Bad writing? :biggrin:

If she was taver'en, don't you think that one of the times that Suian was standing next to her, she might have noticed her glowing with the taver'en light?

All the other stuff people have been mentioning, of course, were fabulous. My personal favorites:

I was jumping up and down while reading the prologue because darn it, I was right about Graendel surviving. Maybe I wasn't correct in thinking she would KNOW he would use balefire on her, but hey, she survived. The people I was with thought I was hilarious.

The other thing, and I'm kicking myself for not bookmarking or underlining it, was when Gaidal's reveal came. I had been worried that we would be left completely unaware of his identity because he'll be too young to do anything at TG. I'll go skimming back through so I can put in our hero's new name.

Completely wrong about that one. That's what I get for having opinions before a second read through.

Although one overlooked scene IMO was where Egwene totally schooled the Hall of the Tower. The only part of that I didn't like was how two AS walked in and said

"What are we standing for?"

"Something important."

"Oh well I guess I'll stand too."

"Me too."

Weren't they both in the same 'voting bloc' in the Hall? Egwene supporters that she had had called in and were left out by her opponents. It made complete sense to me.

Wait, Gaidal was revealed? Where and who is he?

Well, *I* think he was. Someone was talking about his young son who was certain to be ugly as hell. Okay, yes other kids than Gaidal can be ugly, but I rather think that's a subtle nod to the readers so that we're not left wondering forever about where Gaidal is. I think it was an Asha'man who said it, but I can't remember. I'm going through the book to try and find it again.

ETA: Okay, I found it on pg 172. Gadren, Grady's son. I thought there was a reference here to him being only a year and change old, which was why I thought it was such a good match. But, alas, no.

... I need to see little Gadren again. I won't recognize the lad."

[Perrin] "I'm sure he's a handsom child, Grady."

Grady laughed.... "Handsome? Gadren? No, my Lord, he might be big for his age, but he's about as pretty as a stump. Still, I love him something fierce."

So, though I still think it's him, I need to double check time-line to make sure the kid's not too old. *sigh*

Which, okay I looked it up in LoC and apparently Gadren was 4 at that point so, no dice. I'm completely wrong. damn.

Oh oh oh!!! Also, in the epilogue, sneaky BS throwing in through Shaidar Haran the "3 Chosen" comment, finally revealing bloody Asmo's killer!! Pretty inconsequential though... really.

This was actually revealed much earlier in the book in a chapter with Graendal and Moridin. Paraphrasing here:

Moridin - You are making a habit of killing Chosen

Graendel - I live to serve

Moridin - You're not implying that Aran'gar was (an "also" is implied here) a traitor are you?

Conclusion - Graendal had previously killed another Chosen (otherwise it wouldn't be a habit) and the other one had been a traitor. This was the reveal, the later chapter with SH and the glossary was just confirmation.

Damn, beat me to it! =) I was just about to post and point this out as well. Once I read these lines (page 116) I felt like that was that. Actually, I really liked how he revealed it...felt like it was direct if you were looking for it...but also easy to miss. A nice bit of subtly imo! Just how RJ would have liked it. =)

Exact quote...though the paraphrase is spot on.

"Aran'gar is dead, lost to us--and after the Great Lord transmigrated her soul the last time. One might think you are making a habit of this sort of thing, Graendal."

"I live to serve, Nae'blis," she [Graendal] said. Confidence! She had to seem confident.

He [Moridin] hesitated just briefly. Good. "Surely you do not imply that Aran'gar had turned traitor?"

"What?" Graendal said. "No, of course not."

I definitely agree there is an implication here, that she has killed a Forsaken in the past and that the other Forsake was a traitor...Asmo!

I think what I liked most... well, one of the thing at least, is the way Rand/Lews Therin goes to the White Tower to know the Amyrlin's anger, all cool and detached, being shieded by 13 female channelers. Then, later on in the book, he explains that he didn't give a ash, he didn't need the One Power to make a gateway... All said in such a casual tone, with nobody quite fully understanding what that meant.

That leads me to think that he doesn't even care about the True Power, or at least seems to. It's like... well he needs it for the grand finale.

Also, and something I quite don't get, is his almost creator-like new talent for seeing darkfriends. I can accept he bends the pattern and can counter the effect of the Dark One on the world, but THAT, that I don't get. And it's awesome the way he just tells Weiramon "Please go unarmed, and tell your... association."

Fav moment. Simple; Mat fighting the Gholam.

I can just picture Mat like a fight scean in a movie hitting, flicking and tricking the Gholam into that skimming gateway with the medalions just bouncing around all over the place. Dont get me wrong i looooved all the epic sh!+ that happened through the book but only Mat gets these "hero moments" where he just goes all jackie chan on the good(lol) people of Rand land.

i do hower wish we had just one Rand POV in this book right after his hundred weave moment would have been sweet.

My favorite "THING"? Who kills Asmo relegated to the (chuckle, laugh, guffaw, chokes on own uncontrollable laughter) GLOSSARY!! A perfect illustration of just how "important" the event was. A genius bit of accidental (or not so accidental) commentary from Brandon. BRAVO!!

My favorite "THING"? Who kills Asmo relegated to the (chuckle, laugh, guffaw, chokes on own uncontrollable laughter) GLOSSARY!! A perfect illustration of just how "important" the event was. A genius bit of accidental (or not so accidental) commentary from Brandon. BRAVO!!

I don't know about that. Finding out who killed Asmodean was the second thing he did after getting RJ's notes, so he was as interested in the question as everyone else here was. While it is true that the matter is totally irrelevant to the series as a whole, it is annoying to have characters who are central figures in one of the books just kind of get killed without explanation. I think it was a poor bit of writing to leave the matter for so long and then just toss it out there in such an offhand manner, despite how the plot doesn't get affected by it.

Favorite moments:

Nearly anything to do with Rand. There are multiple great lines in nearly every chapter:

To Suian: "You once took an arrow for me. Did I thank you for that?"

To Egwene: "I was broken. And then, remarkable, I was reforged." (btw - I loved that he called it reforged... and then we find out Perrin was watching)

To Weiramon: "Tell them they cannot hide among my allies any longer."

Reunion with Tam: "Father. This is Min Farshaw. And she's very special to me."

To Nynaeve: "To be Aes Sedai is to be what you decide it is."

The entire scene in Arad Domon. And the "we opened only the bad bags? Ridiculous!" "No, just highly improbable"

Apologizing to Ituralde, and then his happiness at being able to reunite Ituralde with his king.

Mat's letter to Elayne. Priceless.

Easing the badger.

The whole Perrin/wolves/Slayer/Egwene/Wise Ones/Mesaana/Black Ajah/Gawyn/Bloodknives battle. I imagine half of the last book will be like that, except on a grander scale, with gates, cannons, shifting in and out of the world of dreams, people dying on both sides...

Perrin's Hammer forging.

Perrin's line to Galad "I like the horse"

Faile dealign with Berelaine.

Berelaine and Galad and teacups. Outstanding stuff there.

Mat taking out the Gholam.

Finding out what the Ashanderi was actually for. I will admit to being confused by what he got back in book 4... and then just forgetting about it.

The wolves jumping for joy that the last battle was coming.

I don't know about that. Finding out who killed Asmodean was the second thing he did after getting RJ's notes, so he was as interested in the question as everyone else here was. While it is true that the matter is totally irrelevant to the series as a whole, it is annoying to have characters who are central figures in one of the books just kind of get killed without explanation. I think it was a poor bit of writing to leave the matter for so long and then just toss it out there in such an offhand manner, despite how the plot doesn't get affected by it.

Have to agree with you there, Tom - of course, I was hoping for a big reveal that Moiraine had killed Asmodean as one of her 'wishes' from the Eelfinn. :dry:

Archived