DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favorite thread was the ToG... but it was killing me that it came almost 800 pages in.

I loved how Jain went out like Ingtar, atoning for all prior sins, imo.

I chuckled when Mat thought to himself:

"This time he had been ready. He had shown them that Matrim Cauthon was no fool."

You just know it's all going to hell when Mat gets overconfident. :rolleyes:

OH what was it.......

"Courage to strengthen," Noal whispered, stepping forward, holding up a lantern with a flickering flame. "Fire to blind. Music to dazzle. Iron to bind."

"And Matrim Cauthon," Mat added. "To bloody even the odds." he stepped through the doorway

Loved that passage.

I am still digesting things so dont have favo quotes/moments yet but the rocking character in the whole book is Rodel Ituralde he rocked in all prologues including TGS but was little disappointed in TGS chapters but he totally rocked in this book, saving ashaman while staying back himself, the strategies he rocked was sad when nicola died was very upset after reading Aviendha's visions.

I loved it when Rand knew just by looking at them who was a darkfriend. That could be handy, should he ever decide to pay a visit to the Black Tower.

Perhaps he did, or perhaps he was tipped off by a certain letter...

Perhaps both :wink:

Any chance we can have the less liked things thread? I've some complaints to make but I don't want to bogart this thread. *gets his old man cames and practices his curmudgeon fist shaking*

I considered it, but realistically it'll just get swarmed by fan boys screeching at you for not liking the same things they did. Sorry.

Let's see...

Funny: Mat's letter. And Elayne's response: "*orders, orders, orders* No Expurgations! That means 'things left out,' Mat." I had to put the book down, I was laughing so hard. I'm almost afraid of the badger (it hasn't come up yet...), considering his plan in book 1.

Tear Jerker: Rand and Tam take 2. DAMN.

Holy S***: Death Of A Legend. It never occurred to me that Birgitte might remember dying more times than Mat does.

I'm surprised. Mat seems a lot closer to home in this book, but if anything, he's even funnier than in TGS. I don't remember him being quite this funny. Or swearing quite so much.

Everything with Rand in it. No doubt, I was starving between every break in his appearances. His part in the book was a crown with two jewels. The first was his making-amends with Arad Domon. He stood up. Second would have to be Rand unleashing his anger on the hordes of Trollocs assaulting Maradon. It was glad that it was not a cold rage, but a raging fire that he unleashed. I think the last time we saw that was when he went for Rhavin's throat.

I loved the last charge of the Golden Crane and His Majesty's challenge to the Shadow. Makes me half-wish I was right next to him :tongue:! As much as I enjoyed Rand's encounter with Tam again.. Lan's last charge was the only one that made me feel like crying. I hated that that was the cut-off point though, it's quite possibly going to be a needle under my skin for the next year. I need to know how it ends for Lan! I would have preferred him to die once (not because I dislike him, I love his character, I just always thought death was a fitting end for him).. now I am not so sure about it.

Mat's last clash with the gholam.

Graendal's escape from Arad Domon.

I've not took it all in yet. These are just some off the top of my head.

Wrong. Rand does not CALL OUT Cadsuane. He gently makes humour of her calling him a boy. But he does not blame her or reprimand her for it.

If you read my original post in this thread, you would have known that I had not read the book at that time and therefore constructed my own image of how the story went and yes it was a long the lines of Rand putting people in their place with a little show of arrogance.. but I find I enjoy this lighter Rand more. It's very infectious.. and this is coming from the guy who argued against the VoG chapter :tongue:!

mats letter made me laugh

:p

and nynaeve scenes were simply awesome :p

and min with rand is awesome :)

wonder how rand is going to introduce elayne and avi to tam.

father meet the other 2 special persons in my life, and you are soon to be a grandfather. lol

sad that nicola died :(

I'm surprised. Mat seems a lot closer to home in this book, but if anything, he's even funnier than in TGS. I don't remember him being quite this funny. Or swearing quite so much.

Mat's getting squeezed. First it's the Band calling him Lord Mat, and forcing him to be responsible to and for them. Then it's Olver. Then it's wayward Wonder Girls. Then he ups and gets married. Now he's got a whole new class of weapons to manufacture, develop tactics and strategy for, and employ. Then there's rescuing Moiraine on his plate, and ...

Through it all people keep trying to kill him, so he has to keep fighting battles and coming close to getting holes poked in himself. And he can't even dance with the girls anymore.

In short he's doing all these things that he promised himself he would NEVER do and he's NOT doing all of the stuff that he promised himself that he would do. It's enough to give him the vapors, which is all that's really going on. He's trying to adjust to becoming an adult in spite of himself.

But, he's struggling a little too hard and getting others needlessly killed for it, which is the dark side of all that humor.

I loved too much to remember. Everything with rand for sure, specially when he refers to himself as Rand Seida, but that whole section.

But one thing that really had me laughing my socks off was when Mat is making demands to Elayne, and he insists on a man servant as a second hand though. Oh boy.

BOOTS = awesome!

Jain Farstrider's last stand. Reminiscent of the end of Great Hunt and Ingtar.

Bornhald finally looking at the facts and taking the right action.

Cadsuane finally getting the short shaft in a conversation and rand FINALLY taking a stand for himself against her that doesn't sound childish.

Is it just me, or was Elayne actually alright for a few chapters in this book? I wish she had actually written a letter back to Mat :-D

Both Perrin and A guy who looks like Lan carrying a GIANT purple umbrella :-D

There were so many good scenes in this book! It really was all about the action, and the entire book felt like it was gearing up for conclusion time.

- Probably my favourite moment was Aviendha's walk through the columns at Rhuidean. It was deeply unsettling, and something I really hadn't considered before (taking for granted the usual cliched conclusion that the good guy wins, everyone lives happily ever after, life is sunshine/rainbows). The subtlety of the scene, with Aviendha "reading" the columns and the oblique references to the decisions and lives of the Dragon and his current crop of Lightfriends, the way those decisions will reverberate and the overall poignancy... it was just a really good couple of chapters.

- The introduction of the Red-Veiled Aiel was also an awesome scene. Extremely tense, and again unsettling. I'm very curious to see who they turn out to be, though I'm going to agree with others who have speculated that they are male Aiel channelers.

- Rand's meeting with Cyndane/Lanfear/Mierin... all too brief, but again filled with tantalising hints about what may be coming in the final chapter.

- Lan's (final?) charge into the Blight. A long time in coming, and if it happens to be the end of my favourite Warder, then a fitting conclusion.

- Lastly, I couldn't believe that Faile makes a concession to Perrin. "I have asked much from you to adapt to my ways. I thought, tonight, I would try to adapt to yours." Wow.

I thought mat's letter was so funny i read it out loud to my WoT Hating husband.

I cried when I read Loial's passage at the very beginning.

I liked the Trakand/Damodred reunions and the Rand/Tam reunion.

I loved the whole "Your going to be a grandmother. . . Rand is the Daddy" bit. Morgase took that better than i thought.

I liked how mat first just kind of thought that Elayne seemed to have gained a little weight' and his reaction to discovering that Elayne was pregnant with his buddy's kids.

I thought it was funny that Elayne and Dyelin were plotting the future of the Aybarra children (one for Two Rivers, one for Saldea, one to marry one of elayne's babies).

Light, women! Faile isn't even pregnant yet (that we know of).

To be honest, this book is going to be in the running for favorite of the series, very close tie with A Crown of Swords.

After my first high-speed readthrough:

Lan giving in and taking on Bulen.

The scene in the Prologue where Galad and the WCs ford a river full of floating bodies.. of dozens of dead mules. :laugh:

Almen Bunt in the orchard.. when the sun comes out, and the trees suddenly fill with fruit under Rand's influence.

Rand and Tam.

Nyn getting Lan's bond from Myrelle.

Morgase's handling of Perrin's trial.

Mat's letter to Elayne. :laugh:

Perrin and Neald and the Power-forging of Mah'alleinir.

The escape from ToG.

I agree with most of those here. A couple that I didn't see mentioned (my apologies to previous posters if they were and I missed them):

Gawyn and the ninja fight. He went from emo twit to badass mo-fo pretty quickly.

Rand's message to Logain - "Tell him I was wrong. We're not just weapons. We're men."

Egwene hanging back when Gawyn was hugging his mother so she wouldn't cut into his moment.

Rand and Tam

Mat's letterr.

Galad while watching Perrin charge down the hillside.

Rand laying waste to tens of thousands of trollocs while everyone else watches.

The way Mat defeats the Gholam.

The glossary...

Glossary:

Graendal; One of the Forsaken. Once known as Kamarile Meradim Nindara noted ascetic, she was the second of the Forsaken to decide to serve the Dark One. A ruthless killer, she was responsible for the deaths or Aran'gar, ASMODEAN and for the destruction of Mesaana. Her present circumstances are uncertain...

Asmo's dead, Asmo's dead, Asmo's dead... WHOOOP!!!

Edit*

Forgot to mention the complete lack of Bela!! Thank the creator!

Guest Lateralus

Okay - so it's my first post! (Hi!)

One of my favorite moments (that I haven't seen yet) is Gawyn wearing the bloodknives rings around his neck. I hope that if the Seanchan attack the tower again, they see them when Gawyn confronts them and get very nervous. :)

(All of that was weird to type since I hated him 2 days ago)

Also really liked:

Perrin stoppin the balefire!

Mat talkin crap to the snakes when he jumped out of the tower

Aviendha's future arc

Androl using gateways for leatherworking!

And IMO - the most compelling scene is Rand + Tam and basically that entire chapter.

What I like the best:

1. Perrin: the death of Hopper and the forging of the Hammer. Rearlly good stuff there.

2. Nynaeve rightly telling Egwene and the AS that there test sucks and makes no sense (and sticking up for Rand).

3. Perrin: stopping balefire and showing Egwene there is a difference between knowing the path and walking it. Way to go Neo/Perrin. The battle with Slayer was epic.

4. Rand scene at Maradon (and Ituralde's).

5. Rand's reunion with Tam.

6. Rand's his Rand Sedai nudge with Cadsuane.

7. Perrin's scene with Noam.

8. Mat's solving the riddle of the spear.

9. Rand's scene in tear exposing the DF's.

10. Faile maturing and outfoxing (ha! ha!) Berelain and the date scene with Perrin.

Those were the best for me. Was disappointed with the lack of emotional impact from Moiraine's rescue and Morgase's reunions.

Archived