DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

Rodel Ituralde. Absolutely everything involving him in the book, from screaming at the top of his lungs to disrupt Dragkhar to turning the entire city of Maradon into a death trap. He's become one of my favourite characters almost instantly.

Nynaeve's test...ugh, horrible, but I expected that. It was never about her--she's so badass that, really, was there any question at all? This was politics, and a dig at Egwene-as-Amyrlin specifically. It was immediately clear, just from who the testers were, that it would get Ugly, and it would get Personal. What I did not expect, and found absolutely delightful, was that one Sister's unbridled FURY at the others for doing what they did.

Major props to Saerin for that, in my opinion.

Loony prediction: Seanchan participate in the last battle *by accident*: They gate into Tar Valon, while at the same time shadowspawn creep out of the TV waygate also expecting to storm the Tower. But nobody's home because they're all arguing with Rand. Hilarity ensues. That'd be one fight where I'd be cheering for the Shadow...

I would love that, actually. Though Mat (with the Horn, perhaps) could be even better.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order:

- Perrin coming to terms with himself

- Forging the Hammer

- Rand and Tam

- The battle with Mesaana and the BA (though I kinda would've liked an Amys POV)

- The ToG chapters (now if Mat would come to terms with himself)

- Rand's rebuke of Cad's

- Gawyn's almost undouchebagging

There were others that I thought were awesome and say what you will about BS...I think he's done a fine job.

Best part of book:......the Glossary!! Seriously loled my head off when I found that Brandon put Asmodean's killer, the greatest mystery of Wheel of Time history, the question fans argued over for THOUSANDS of pages,.....in the glossary. =D

This was actually revealed in the text a couple of times - The first early in a conversation between Moridin and Graendal and the second near the end in a conversation between Shaidar Haran and Graendal. Pop on over to the Asmo thread for more details and discussion.

First Moridin states it shall not become Graendal's attitude after Aran'gar's death, and Shaidar Haran saying she is responsible for the loss of THREE Chosen. There is no doubt^^

"- Does anyone knows how to say 'He Who Soars'?"

"- Mah'alleinir"

Waouh

"Carai manshimaya Tylin. Carai manshimaya Nalesean. Carai an manshimaya ayend'an!"

"If you ever meet a Malkieri, you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

Three favorites

First Moridin states it shall not become Graendal's attitude after Aran'gar's death, and Shaidar Haran saying she is responsible for the loss of THREE Chosen. There is no doubt^^

Well, there is some doubt, and it depends on that little word 'responsible'. In the Glossary, Graendal is said to be 'responsible for the deaths of Aran'gar and Asmodean and for the destruction of Mesaana'. We know that G did not kill Aran'gar, it was Rand's balefire that killed her; however, G was responsible for her death because she left her unable to escape. Similarly, G did not destroy Mesaana, it was Egwene who did that - or arguably, it was Messy herself, having her own attack turned back on herself - but again, G was responsible, having lost control of the Dreamspike, and trapping Mesaana in the WT.

So it seems that we are now left with the question - did Graendal kill Asmo with her own hands; or did she put him in someone else's way? But that's one for the Asmo thread.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/53311-asmodean/page__st__120__gopid__1691893

Anyway, I do agree with you about the Mat quotes, good ones! And I loved the letter!

ok, so i read every single reply on this discussion, took me like 2 hours, to finally come to the conclusion the book is so full of really nice stuff i just couldn't pick a favorite moment.

but to pick one, i really liked the gesture of Gawyn putting the three bloodknive rings around his neck after an awesome duel. ha, would like to see the reaction of any Seanchan to that. I do hope there'll still be some epic Blade duel in aMoL, and not all OP stuff and massive hordes clashing one another. I've always putt my hopes on a masive blade-no-nonsense duel between Gawyn and Rand, but i guess that'll never happen after this book.

and I did love the BOOTS :D and the way Setalle tried to read more into it than there was.

also truly loved the Loial introduction, hope to see some more Ogier action in the future to.

right the wrongs at Bandar Eban in a single day to was pure poetry, you could really see it happen.

i think anyone can go on and on about the scenes with touching Avi, badass Nyn, etc.

and please do go on everybody, just like to read the stuff you guys write and then think: "hey yeah he/she's right, that scene was awesome"

and I did love the BOOTS :D and the way Setalle tried to read more into it than there was.

You really thought Setalle was reading into it too much? I thought she hit the nail on the head. Matt prefers a free life with minimal responsibilities hence the Farmer with 3 pairs of Boots compared to Talmanes with 40 pairs.

But I don't think that this description of Matts character is true. I mean its not the responsibilities of nobles that gave him his dislike of nobles in the first place, but their extravogence and aloofness (his run in with Berelain in the Stone of Tear in Shadow Rising for example). Although this is probably a note to place in the Matt thread so I will leave it there and finish by saying that I did think it was a funny chapter and it had me roflin' for a good few minutes :D

Best part of book:......the Glossary!! Seriously loled my head off when I found that Brandon put Asmodean's killer, the greatest mystery of Wheel of Time history, the question fans argued over for THOUSANDS of pages,.....in the glossary. =D

During an interview or book signing (cant remember which but I saw the video here on DM) Brandon got asked about putting this in the Glossary, and responded that it was Harriet's idea to do it that way, he said that she likes to make people read the Glossary.

My favorite chapter was "A Making"

My favorite quote would have to be - "I caught a badger," a familiar voice said. "Want to let it go on the Green?" - it was an awesome recall back to book one, since none of the 3 TR guys knows what Dav did with that badger.

You really thought Setalle was reading into it too much? I thought she hit the nail on the head. Matt prefers a free life with minimal responsibilities hence the Farmer with 3 pairs of Boots compared to Talmanes with 40 pairs.

But I don't think that this description of Matts character is true. I mean its not the responsibilities of nobles that gave him his dislike of nobles in the first place, but their extravogence and aloofness (his run in with Berelain in the Stone of Tear in Shadow Rising for example). Although this is probably a note to place in the Matt thread so I will leave it there and finish by saying that I did think it was a funny chapter and it had me roflin' for a good few minutes :D

I don't think Setelle was reading too much into it, but I do think she was reading the wrong thing into it.

Mat's story isn't a metaphor for being unwilling to take on the responsibilities of leadership. It is pure populist revulsion.

I loved it when Rand knew just by looking at them who was a darkfriend. That could be handy, should he ever decide to pay a visit to the Black Tower.

Perhaps he did, or perhaps he was tipped off by a certain letter...

Perhaps both :wink:

Of course, then there were the darkfriends who jumped out the window and gouged their own eyes out when Rand was kicking butt in Maradon. I think this is a testament to Rand's new sense concerning darkfriends.

My favourite bits, in no particular order;

1. Rand's general awesomeness. Him speaking as if he actually is 400 years old, how he spoke to Cadsuane about her calling him boy, how he just walked into the White Tower, how the people are starting to say "Hold on, he's changed...there's something different, better about him....Hell, I'd follow this guy to the Last Battle!". Everything.

2. Mat seeing a pretty woman and thinking something like; "She's got a nice backside. I'm only looking at it for Talmanes though."

3. All of Ituralde's scenes. Not bad for a short guy who wears a beauty mark! :biggrin: What he did at Maradon puts him ahead of Mat as the number one Great Captain. Then again, Mat has never really gotten to use channellers in his army...

4. In Avihenda's future visions the Seanchan and "the Far Ones" in Shara hunt the Aiel. Does this mean the Seanchan even end up invading Shara...?

5. The end with Caemlyn burning and Talmanes rousing the Band. His moment to finally shine?

6. Olver at the end showing that he notices much more than he lets on and thinking that he has to protect Mat half the time. Also, the kids determination to fight shows that if he's not a hero of legend he sure has the spirit of one.

7. Morraine addressing Mat as "Dear Mattrim". Nice to see her show affection for one of the 3 lads instead of always treating them as tools to do her bidding if she can make them.

8. Rand in Bandar Eban sorting out the mess and rallying the people. Min picking a beggar out of the crowd and saying he will be a leader in the Last Battle and instead of just waiting for that to happen while he's off elsewhere Rand instead goes over and raises the guy up.

9. The Saldean rescue of Ituralde before the walls of Maradon.

10. Perrin taking Egwene down a few much needed pegs in the World of Dreams.

11. Nyneave tipping the Kandori Prince off about Lan's horse. Tricksey woman!

Guest Ishu161

here goes mine, in no particular order:

1. Just like Pikeman above me, Rand was definitely at the height of his awesomeness in this book. Simply loved him. "The guardian blocks the one power, the one power only"

2. Aviendha in Rhuidean. Heartbreaking...It was painful to watch the future of the Aiel and knowing there was very little anyone could do to change it.

3 Mat. He was my second most favourite character behind Rand in this book. The Letter, meeting with Perrin, Rescuing Moiraine...he did everything with style.

4. Perrin's fight with slayer/Egwene's fight with Messanna....and of course, Perrin stopping balefire, priceless.

5. Ituralde's defence of Maradon

6. "If you ever meet a Malkeiri,you tell him Jain Farstrider died clean"

7."You accidently married the Seanchan empress?"

8.And finally, The last charge of the Golden Crane. Lan's part in the epilogue was so powerful, it simply bought tears in my eyes.

Minus the typos / world errors, I loved it. Favorite parts have mostly been covered, but I really liked Galad and Gawyn both making all their screen time FINALLY worth it. Gonna be something else when Mat, Perrin, Rand, Elayne, Rhuarc, Egwene, Morgase, Galad, Bashere, Moiraine, etc, etc, etc ... are all in one tent planning for the last battle! Egads!

• 4 weeks later...

There were so many moments I don't know which to pick :happy:

Let's see. Well rand telling eggy that he is going to break the seals was a great moment.

Perrin forging his hammer also was like WOW did he really do that?? hehe also perrin deflecting balefire and eggy looking like WTF

rand and tam's reunion and nyv kicking ass in her AS testing was way awesome

Then again I enjoyed the whole bloody book so those are just a few of them

I think my favorite quote has to be from the Dragon Reborn to Cadsuane - "You may call me Rand Sedai". First off, it is the perfect way to finally put her in her place. Second, it's the first time in this Age that a man stakes his claim to being Aes Sedai. It was cool.

Favorite quote outside of a dialogue would be the ending to a few of Lan's chapters - "And the one became two" and so on. There is something very simple and very powerful in those sentences - they just say it all, in an absolute nutshell.

As for favorite moments, there are way too many of them to name. Everything to do with Rand was awesome, from "Apples first" to him unleashing an insane amount of Power in battle. He is The Man. Rodel Ituralde's fight was brilliant as well (he's my favorite minor character now!). Perrin was excellent as well for finally making his peace with the wolf, starting an unlikely but surprisingly natural friendship with Galad, having a little sweet time with Faile, and of course an incredible fight with Slayer in the World of Dreams. I've also enjoyed getting a look into the Black Tower - it's creepy and exciting, and I like the character of Androl.

- "Is there a reason you're sitting on my secretary's head?"

- "You don't become a noble just by marrying one!"

"Ummm...Mat? That's exactly how it works. It's pretty much the only way to become a noble."

"It might not work that way in Seanchan! You don't know!"

- Turning Joline's mouth blue. I'm still not quite convinced she ever noticed. Just the way Thom asked "And what did you do to them?"

- "I've been surviving on my wits."

"Finally found a set, then?"

- "I'm fond of the horse"

- Bornhald killing Byar.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Rand and Mat meeting again.

Archived