DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

This exchange between Mat and Perrin in the badger incident:

'The long-limbed man smiled, setting the sack down and standing, offering a hand. Perrin took it, but pulled Mat into a hearty hug.

'"Light, Mat," Perrin said. "It seems like it's been forever!"

'"A lifetime," Mat said. "Maybe two. I lose count."'

Indeed you do, Mat m'lad..

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Corigan
The world just changed, Elayne. It just changed in a very large way. I have a terrible feeling that it's only the beginning.

Birgitte to Elayne at the Dragons demonstration.

It's a bit cheesy, but all the same, I wonder, in our world, if anyone recognized just how great a change on the world gunpowder would bring when it was first used for warfare.

Yes stopping Balefire was KICK ASS!!

Greetings and Salutations (That means Welcome in case you didnt know)

EPIC Battle in the "Wolf Dream"

Perrin creating Mah'alleinir....AWESOME!!

Nyneave basically getting Lan his Army and Lan having to accept his destiny.

Why are the Aes Sedai again doing what they did 300 yrs ago and being Buzz Kills????

I think MoL will be a 1000pg Epic Novel...This was 800+ so the last will be HUGE!!

Awesome, just AWESOME Book!!

Although one overlooked scene IMO was where Egwene totally schooled the Hall of the Tower. The only part of that I didn't like was how two AS walked in and said

"What are we standing for?"

"Something important."

"Oh well I guess I'll stand too."

"Me too."

Not too dissimilar from the way politics in the real world works though.

Keep in mind the 2 that stood for it without knowing what it was were on Egwene's side, and knew what was happening.

I think MoL will be a 1000pg Epic Novel...This was 800+ so the last will be HUGE!!

I really hope so, but I thought we were getting 250k words (this was about 325k).

Anyone have any confirmation on this?

Brandon has said that he is 2/3 of the way through the outline so AMoL should be about the same size as tGS and ToM.

In a book like this, there are no single favourite moment, but there are lots of other superlatives:

Most touching moment was definitely reading "- from The Dragon Reborn by Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, of Stedding Shangtai". [ToM, pg 9]

YEY, Loial gets to finish his book!

Most humours moment was reading Mats letter to Elayne [ToM, Ch 11, An Unexpected Letter, pg 183].

Biggest "oh, crap" moment was "'I had provisions for two months,' Birgitte said, grimacing. 'Don't know how long we lasted after those ran out.'" [ToM, Ch 22, The End of a Legend, pg 361].

The most foreboding moment was "But think. Delivering thousands of soldiers into the White Tower through a hidden basement, room. Striking with the force of a thousand hammers against a thousand anvils!" [ToM, Ch 51, A Teaching Chamber, pg 706].

Saddest moment was reading "'Bloody Aiel,' Fern said as her sight faded" [ToM, Ch 48, Near Avendesora, pg 717] and realising what was in the future for the Aiel. Didn't get any better reading the rest of the visions...

Biggest, "yea, right, that ain't happening" moment was "If you wish, you may call me Rand Sedai." [ToM, Ch 51, A Testing, pg 748].

The most creepy moment was reading "The woman looked up, and Pevara froze. There was something different in Tarna's eyes, something cold. She'd always been a distant one, but this was worse. Tarna smiled, a grimace that looked completely unnatural on her face. Like the smile on the lips of a corpse." [ToM, Ch 53, Gateways, pg 775] and realizing that Taim are compelling the red sisters.

Biggest "oh, crap" moment was "'I had provisions for two months,' Birgitte said, grimacing. 'Don't know how long we lasted after those ran out.'" [ToM, Ch 22, The End of a Legend, pg 361].

When I read that it really threw me for a loop and I thought about what a rough two months that would have been!

Most spine-chilling moment for me was this, when Rand :aessedai: is talking with the Borderlanders, and they explain to him about their prophecy that they had to test him:

"You don't know how close you came to doom.. If I had come to you but a short time earlier, I'd have returned those slaps with balefire."

Saddest moment was when Norlesh's baby died in her arms without her realising it.

Guest wheredidit

Lots of scenes to like, the epic T'A'R battle overshadowed even the ToG part at the end for me. The Perrin forging and downhill charge made me like his character for the first time since the end of the two rivers plotline. Everything Rand(though I agree whats up with no dealing with the BT). Also the sprinkled in references to the earlier books and things coming full circle made me eager to start my re-read in preparation for AMoL.

One quote I totally didn't see coming:

"I assume you think that saving me will influence my decision about your judgement," Galad Said.

"It had better," Aybara muttered.

"You accidentallymarried the Seanchan Empress?"

I've been waiting ever since Mat got married to see the reaction from certain characters. First I thought it might come out to Nynaeve(still wanna see that one) during the Rand/Tuon meeting, then I thought for sure Elayne after mat mentioned in the letter he was married. I can only hope it's an Egwene PoV when Mat shows to claim the horn and that he tells her who he hitched up with :laugh:

One part that confused me is that if Mat had simply opened Verin's letter the moment she left him wouldn't she have betrayed her Oath to the DO? I mean all the letters seem to be against her oath not to betray the shadow, how could she have arranged all to be delivered and talked with Egwene in an hour period...I need to go review the exact lettering of the oaths.

One part that confused me is that if Mat had simply opened Verin's letter the moment she left him wouldn't she have betrayed her Oath to the DO? I mean all the letters seem to be against her oath not to betray the shadow, how could she have arranged all to be delivered and talked with Egwene in an hour period...I need to go review the exact lettering of the oaths.

Well, as with all the Oaths, the question isn't whether or not it actually breaks the Oath, but whether she thinks it breaks the Oaths. Verin was able to convince herself that Mat would delay opening the letter by at least a few days and by that time she'd either have retrieved the letter or would be dead, so she could honestly tell herself that she wasn't betraying the DO until after the last hour of her life. That's all that was required and whether or not she would have been correct about it isn't the issue.

This book was nothing BUT favorite scenes, so I'll pick a few by category, as some others have.

Most emotionaly poignant- Avi's first step. I knew what was happening right away, and I was just like Oh no, no, not the Aiel. It was very humbling, and it was SO WoT. It said this could be you in 1000 years...this could be the repercussions of your actions right now...what are YOU going to do about it? I get teary at many parts in this massive series, from Ingtar's redemption on down. This scene was so sad I couldn't cry. It was too much, I just had to look away for a minute and say wow. Her trip as a whole was not as profound and epic as Rand's (that was RJ's masterpiece imo), but that little Aiel girl digging for scraps was the saddest scene in the series for me. I don't care who wrote it, it was brilliant. Loved her response of course :) Avi does not disappoint.

Most it's about time- Rand Sedai You go "boy"!!! Love cumba ya Rand.

Most hey man nice shot- Rodel surviving Maradon. If there was doubt before (none here) this guy is THE Great Captain. My money's on Rodel vs anyone but Rand and Mat. And I think he would give either a nice run. And yes, that does mean I think Rodel wins vs Dark One :tongue:

Most thank God- Hey Perrin! Where have you been for the last 9 books?

Most cool new thing- Dreamspike

Most epic- TAR fight with Perrin and Egwene

Most fun- I always love Mat and Elayne on screen together...Rand and Egwene were great too...would like to see the cat for a hat line show up again heh

Most badass- I'm going to go unconventional here and say Padra. Her pov brought the concept on channeling to a whole new level for me. Imagine someone who learns to channel the way they learn to walk...that's sick. Lanfear? piff.

And Most innocent looking sentences that put the biggest smile on my face- By the time I got to page 707 I was already pretty certain that this book was going to bump LoC as my second fave in the series, and then I came across these two lines, "Perrin puffed on his own pipe. Only he, Thom, and Mat were in the room." I read that and actually put down the book for a second to absorb the surreal moment. I was all smiles as I started reading again, it didn't matter what they were going to talk about. Gotta love old friends and all the reunions in this book.

All of my favorites have been mentioned already. I know I'm giving Sanderson the credit of Jordan's years of pain-staking, incredibly BORING setup, but seeing everything come together is well... cathartic I guess. I've teared up in so many Rand scenes just because it's nice to have the old Rand back. He's the one who lured me into the series in the first place. I found myself mirroring Min's excitement when she knows Rand is close, and chapters like the apple orchard one choked me up and may be cliched, but Rand as a savior is pretty much what we've been waiting for (and what savior wouldn't be just a little insane)? I also loved Naeff and Nynaeve being like the Tairen Channeling Bubble of Evil investigating team (I've always loved Nynaeve; she's a very strong character and her refusing to submit to the strictures of Randland is just an extension of that).

And I hate Elayne, BUT the one scene in this book that made me set it down so I could laugh had to be Elayne "doing the only thing she could think to do," which is picking up Chesmal with the power and chuck her at the Black Sister who was running away. That was perfectly written, and the entire scene of Elayne impersonating a Forsaken reminded me of the zany adventures Elayne and Nynaeve used to have in Salidar with Moghedian and Birgitte. Good times...

Galad: "Would you like some Tea?"

Berelain: "I'm already drinking some."

And he makes some anyway, bless. I've been waiting for these two to get together since Min had her vision and I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't think Avi would be in this book, especially the further I read, so I was really happy when she appeared. What a harrowing future she saw. She better find Rand ASAP.

Galad: "Would you like some Tea?"

Berelain: "I'm already drinking some."

And he makes some anyway, bless. I've been waiting for these two to get together since Min had her vision and I wasn't disappointed.

I didn't think Avi would be in this book, especially the further I read, so I was really happy when she appeared. What a harrowing future she saw. She better find Rand ASAP.

I rather more liked Alliandre being left somehow holding three cups of tea. Only an experienced waiter or waitress can pull that off.

Archived