DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Quotes/ Moments (Full spoilers)

JenniferL

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To defend the so-called "new" Mat, I think he is exaggerated a bit on purpose. Think of it this way - he just got married, has taken responsibility for his men, has slowed his complaints about always ending up in battles.

Basically he is becoming responsible. To counteract that, I think he has stepped up his childish behaviors as a last-ditch stand before responsibility takes over.

To get to the main thread:

1. Perrin dominating in TAR

2. Mat's letter

3. Avi's future - damn that better not happen.

4. Every single thing with Rand, RJ and BS set up that black cloud really well, and it just feels like a cool breeze after that with Rand walking around and being all saintly.

He nodded to each of them, then rose to his feet. "Tomorrow, I meet with the monarchs of the world. After that I am going to go to Shayol Ghul and break the remaining seals on the Dark One's prison. Good day".

Cadsuane didn't rise. She sat, sipping her tea. The four seemed astounded. Well, the boy certainly had picked up an understanding of the dramatic.

Funny stuff.

(edited for typo)

Best Scenes

1. Perrin stopping balefire and making Egwene eat some crow and rethink her actual skill level.

2. Mat Badger sacking Perrin after throwing acorns at his head.

3. Borderlanders Layethed the Smacketh Down on the Dragon reborn....kind of an outta nowhere prophesy though...lol

4. The look into Olver's POV....that kid is a bit devious...and is apparently planning a trip to Finnland for some answers.

5. Everything Nynaeve but most especially her handling of attaining Lan's bond. I haven't taken the oaths yet so i WILL beat yo ass! hahaa

6. Every single time Thom got a chance to tell someone who Mat married.

7. Avi's flashforwards...whoa talk about a reason to question what this whole last battle is for when the future ends up like that....

8. The back and forth interactions and thoughts of one another that Perrin and Galad had. Unexpected budding bromance there lol.

9. The tactical last ditch defense of Maradon.

10. Rand's intimidating visit to the White Tower.

BONUS: The reveal that Rand can now SEE darkfriends for what they are. I'm hoping this means he can preemptively eradicate all Darkfriends within the armies of the allied nations, Dragonsworn, and Taveren.

In no particular order...

1. Setalle "I see... So you're using boots as a metaphor for the onus of responsibility and decision placed upon the aristocracy as they assume leadership of complex political and social positions"

Mat "Metaphor for... [...] bloody ashes, woman. This isn't a metaphor for anything! It's just boots."

2. "Mairaine's eyes had closed again, but she smiled as she listened to Thom's music. Mat had thought Thom was playing for the Aelfinn, but now he wondered if he was playing for Moiraine. A last, melancholy song for a failed rescue."

3. Thom "You think they can make one of those colour-changing cloaks with some patches on it?"

4. When Perrin tried to will Hopper back to life in the Wolf Dream. That chocked me up more than anything else, oddly enough.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a tone of others too!

'Mat stepped back and tipped his hat to the creatures. "Looks like the game can be won after," he said. "Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day."'

Nothing like a little post-victory gloat.

Guest Ishu161

1. Aviendha's second trip to Ruidhean...seriously brought tears to my eyes feeling her and the Aiel's pain over what will happen to them. Especially since one of her own grand-daughter would be the cause.

2. Rand's visit to the White Tower. Holy Crap that was awesome!!!

3. Perrin forging the hammer. Perrin's story took too long IMO, but still...this scene was one of the very best.

4. The golden crane finally riding. Lan's scenes were pretty awesome, and emotional.

5.Mat's letter to Elayne....ROFL!!!

also, Rodel Ituralde seriously kicked ass in this book....that man is what an army general should be like!!

Pretty much everything already mentioned, so I'll just add this:

"... the Myrdraal hesitated, it's eyeless gaze fixed on him. Perhaps it senesed that something was terribly, terribly wrong. And right, of course. You couldn't be one without the other. That wouldn't make sense." - Fain's short piece in the Prologue was brilliant.

First post... hello everyone!

"When change comes, you can scream and try to force things to stay the same. But you´ll usually end up getting trampled. However, if you can direct the changes, they can serve you. Just as the Power serves us, but only after we surrender to it."

Egwene, Chapter 36 ToM

Pretty much a foretelling of what will happen to the Aiel, if Aviendha doesn´t act on her viewings in Rhuidean.

"Are you ever going to give up that affectation, Cadsuane Sedai? Calling me boy? I no longer mind, though it does feel odd. I was four hundred years old on the day I died durin the Age of Legends. I suspect that would make you my junior by several decades at the least. I show you respect. Perhaps it would be appropriate for you to return it. If you wish, you may call me Rand Sedai. I am, so far as I know, the only male Aes Sedai still alive who was properly raised but who never turned to the Shadow."

Rand, Chapter 51 ToM

A well deserved and perfectly executed smackdown for that bully! Way to go, Rand Sedai!

"I am well enough to fight if I have your mount"

"Well, then, let´s be on with it." Aybara eyed him. "I´ll stay by you though, just in case it looks like you might fall."

"Thank you."

"I´m fond of the horse."

Galad and Perrin, Chaper 41 ToM

Just one comment: LOL!

Unexpectedly, Perrin provided most of my fave moments this book. I admit to being so sceptical, after all his whining about Faiiiiiiile, that he could return to his great self. Wow.

Mah'alleinir. The crowd reaction to him is great too. And, he's one of the few that really thinks about how his followers perceive him.

Hopper.

Boundless.

Dragonmount@VoG.

Trial by Morgase.

'I'm fond of the horse'. The simple fact that Perrin - along with Morgase - managed to bring out CoolGalad.

And the fact that Perrin is now 100% focused on helping Rand - he sees that it's all about Rand.

Eg might actually listen to Perrin, as well. Inasmuch as she listens to ayone, obv, but he's always been sensible, so he has more chance of talking her round than Mat does, anyway.

I loved Mat's letter to Elayne. It was pretty funny.

I didn't like his letter to Elayne at all. I thought Mat was pretty well done in ToM except for the letter

Yes I know... Mat isn't ignorant.He did say he would swear and all in the letter so that Elayne would know it was him - truly.Remember she was using Mat to learn curses and such... and they both have had enough court intrigue to know the value of appearances;remember that Mat has no love of Aes Sedai and Elayne Queen of Andor or not is Aes Sedai and has them about her whether she knows it or not.

"I'm fond of that horse." - Perrin to Galad... pretty much everything having to do with Perrin.

Galad's reaction to Morgase being alive.

Rand and Tam... I cried.

Easing the Badger

The Letter to Elayne

ToG - I didn't want a 3 book storyline, a 'la Faile, getting Moiraine back. I was so happy it only took a couple of chapters.

Nynaeve.. especially her losing that bloody braid, but especially her handling of Myrelle, I read that part 3 times from sheer awe.

Edit*

Forgot to mention the complete lack of Bela!! Thank the creator!

Egwene or Siuan will ride her during TG.

The series cannot be complete without Bela.

Out of the entire book, I was only disappointed in one thing... no Gawyn POV with Morgase. It damn well BETTER be in AMOL. After all this bloody time of Gawyn whining like a 3yr old with a skinned knee about Rand killing his mommy, I demand to see this POV.

Rand Sedai was great. I would like to see it repeated in front of the tower. They still seem to need another humbling.

Except replace Male Aes Sedai, with True Aes Sedai. Then it'd be perfect.

Scene that will never be that I'd like to see in AMOL:

Egwene "I'm the keeper of 3000 years of Aes Sedai Tradition, bow to me!"

Rand "Actually I'm the last living Aes Sedai who didn't turn to the Shadow, you and those you represent are no more then a thief stealing a name and it's honour for your own."

Rand just strolling into the tower being shielded by two full circles. Them shitting their pants and hes totally at ease. RO.FL.

ToG... Incredible. Absolutely floored. Amazing finest in series.

Galad "Just because some rulers dont like us doesnt make them darkfriends"

Other Whitecloak: Darkfriends.

Galad: My mother was no darkfriend.

Other :whitecloak: Excluding her of course. cracked me UUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPP hahaha

Be back with more

I loved Mat's letter to Elayne. It was pretty funny.

I didn't like his letter to Elayne at all. I thought Mat was pretty well done in ToM except for the letter

Yes I know... Mat isn't ignorant.He did say he would swear and all in the letter so that Elayne would know it was him - truly.Remember she was using Mat to learn curses and such... and they both have had enough court intrigue to know the value of appearances;remember that Mat has no love of Aes Sedai and Elayne Queen of Andor or not is Aes Sedai and has them about her whether she knows it or not.

Mat's letter was almost a cringe moment for me.

Then, I re-read it and decided to enjoy it for what it was, a semi-literate, exasperated, hilarious attempt at communicating to a royal.

Then I laughed myself silly.

I thought for sure, while reading this, that it must be a Brandon addition, so I betcha RJ wrote it. I was told that I was wrong about all my other guesses. . . by Mr. Sanderson himself. I didn't truly believe it until reading recently that Brandon did not write the Mat scenes that seemed so wrong in The Gathering Storm. (Headdesk)

My favorite chapter. A Making.

Perrin's forging of Mah'alleinir.... He who soars.... I thought that an apt name. The tenseness of the Whitecloaks and Perrin's forces just before the Trollacs started appearing. Humorous, almost. The relief when you realized that Perrin wasn't going on idle bloodthirsty rampages against allies. Hehe, nearly surpassed the forging when I read that last line of the chapter.

By the way, this is the first I've posted in some time. I seriously doubt that anyone remembers me, though. I guess I'm just a trend follower in this matter, though I pride myself in not being one most of the time. But that matters little. So hello once more, and hello new ones.

Archived