DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I'm about halfway through the first Malazon book. Still not 100% sure whether I'll buy the second book...

Do NOT give up on the series before book 2. Deadhouse Gates (Book 2) and Memories of Ice (Book 3) are amazing and much much better than Gardens of the Moon.

So I was thinking of reading the Chronicles of Tomas Covenant. I've heard of the books. My dad made my middle name Kovan based on the books. Kovan/Covenant meh. But anyways I don't know if they're any good and apparently he rapes a girl in the first book? So anyone have an opinion they'd care to share on the series?

I've read them. Never really got into them - I found the prose to be unengaging (a problem I didn't have with other books of his I've read). Yes, Covenant rapes a girl in the first book. He spends the rest of the series regretting it, and trying to make amends. I wouldn't let the rape put you off - it's worth a try, see how you get on with the writing, but if you find it boring then just drop the series and maybe try his other works (Mordant's Need and the Gap).

I'm about halfway through the first Malazon book. Still not 100% sure whether I'll buy the second book...

Do NOT give up on the series before book 2. Deadhouse Gates (Book 2) and Memories of Ice (Book 3) are amazing and much much better than Gardens of the Moon.
That's terrible advice. Yes, books two and three are better than one (and mark the high point of the series), but given that drop off in quality after them, if you're not that big a fan of the firt one it might be better just to drop it. This series isn't for everyone.

Right now I'm rereading WOT for the 5th time. I'm in the middle of TSR right now.

Over the last year I read Milton's PARADISE LOST, Bronte's WUTHERING HEIGHTS and Waugh's A HANDFUL OF DUST. Also LORD VALENTINE'S CASTLE by Robert Silverberg. Amongst graphic novels, I read PREACHER by Garth Ennis, LOST GIRLS by Alan Moore, and ZOT! by Scott McCloud. Some literary criticism from David Denby and James Wood, including THE WESTERN CANON and JESUS AND YAHWEH by Harold Bloom. Biggest of all these reading projects was my umpteenth reread of Gene Wolfe's SUN books, twelve volumes in all.

Although I intend to keep up with WOT until I catch up with everyone else (I've only read through KOD, though I have TGS and TOM waiting on my bookshelf), other books on my shortlist of novels-to-read include JOHNATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susannah Clarke, I CLAUDIUS by Robert Graves, and THE CHILDERMASS by Wyndham Lewis.

Right now I'm rereading WOT for the 5th time. I'm in the middle of TSR right now.

Over the last year I read Milton's PARADISE LOST, Bronte's WUTHERING HEIGHTS and Waugh's A HANDFUL OF DUST. Also LORD VALENTINE'S CASTLE by Robert Silverberg. Amongst graphic novels, I read PREACHER by Garth Ennis, LOST GIRLS by Alan Moore, and ZOT! by Scott McCloud. Some literary criticism from David Denby and James Wood, including THE WESTERN CANON and JESUS AND YAHWEH by Harold Bloom. Biggest of all these reading projects was my umpteenth reread of Gene Wolfe's SUN books, twelve volumes in all.

Although I intend to keep up with WOT until I catch up with everyone else (I've only read through KOD, though I have TGS and TOM waiting on my bookshelf), other books on my shortlist of novels-to-read include JOHNATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL by Susannah Clarke, I CLAUDIUS by Robert Graves, and THE CHILDERMASS by Wyndham Lewis.

That is a monster of a book to get through. It's thoroughly fascinating, but it's by no means light reading.

Good luck!

The Player of Games, Iain M. Banks. Terrific book, highly recommended.

Home Fires, Gene Wolfe. Book was so-so. The premise was really interesting, but the plot was unnecessarily convoluted and distracted from that premise. The narrative's also pretty difficult to follow because it jumps forward in time, so sometimes characters will refer to fairly significant events that happen off-screen in between chapters.

One of his best for sure. I'm glad that some other people on here read Banks, the guy's created an amazing sci-fi universe.

Have you read his latest release, Surface Detail? I would put it up as his second best book, behind PoG. Compelling story, some awesome scenes with Culture warships, and it actually's got some nice philosophy in it.

One of his best for sure. I'm glad that some other people on here read Banks, the guy's created an amazing sci-fi universe.

Have you read his latest release, Surface Detail? I would put it up as his second best book, behind PoG. Compelling story, some awesome scenes with Culture warships, and it actually's got some nice philosophy in it.

I read Banks's novel FEERSUM ENDJINN many years ago. I liked the world he created in it, but looking back, I can scarcely believe I got through it. The phonetic spelling used in half of the book was really off-putting. Someday I imagine I'll tackle his "Culture" novels.

Thanks for the warning about JOHNATHAN STRANGE AND MR. NORRELL. I like novels that aren't light reading (and the last book on my list, Wyndham Lewis's THE CHILDERMASS, is by reputation extremely heavy reading), and I'm really looking forward to it.

Not yet. I just started reading Banks, and I'm going with the books available from my local library for now -- they've only got Consider Phlebas, Inversions, The Player of Games, and Excessions. I've read the first three. I like him enough that I'll probably buy some of his books when I get the chance, so I'll try to remember that recommendation.

I am still reading A Clash Of A Kings, I really havent been able to commit time to reading in the last couple weeks. Enjoyinng it much more than the 1st book, A Game of Thrones.

But, I can now commit my usual amount of time to reading, so with it being pay day weekend I have gone out and "stocked-up".

1. A Storm of Swords Part 1. Steel and Snow

2. A Storm of Swords Part 2. Blood and Gold

3. A Feast for Crows

Author: George RR Martin

4. Troy Part 1. Lord Of The Silver Bow

Author: David Gemmell

5. Mistborn Part 2. The Well of Ascension

6. Mistborn Part 3. The Hero of Ages

Author: Brandon Sanderson

I'm hoping the Martin novels continue to improve as the series goes on. And I'm definitely buying Dnce with Dragons in hardcover as the cover is brilliant. I love the Drenai novels,by David Gemmell, that I have read so I'm hoping the Troy series is just as good. A work mate of mine says they are, so fingers crossed. I thought Mistborn Part 1 was great and loved some of the characters in the book. I am probably looking forward to reading the Mistborn books the most

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapping up my second reread of R. Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" trilogy. Can't believe it took me this long to start a second and I am absolutely blown away. To me White Luck Warrior was the best Fantasy novel to come out this year and it is really cool to go back over his earlier work. This series rewards careful reading more than most and is beyond intelligent. The prose is stunning and stands up very well even outside the Fantasy genre.

Took a slight detour from my reading of The Road (which I've been really enjoying) to bury my head in the Mistborn Trilogy. Finished all three books this past month and cannot recommend them enough. Abso-freaking-lutely fantastic.

Now, back to Cormac!

I am 550 pages into Mistborn book 2, and while I don't think it's as a good as Book 1 it's still very good. Allomancy rocks!! 1 of my fave magic systems if not my fave

Just read the part where Vin and Zane kill 300 soldiers in 10 minutes, AMAZING!!! But I do miss Kelsier, thought he was great.

I am 550 pages into Mistborn book 2, and while I don't think it's as a good as Book 1 it's still very good. Allomancy rocks!! 1 of my fave magic systems if not my fave

Just read the part where Vin and Zane kill 300 soldiers in 10 minutes, AMAZING!!! But I do miss Kelsier, thought he was great.

Book 2 gets very interesting at the end, and I'll be curious to hear what you think of Book 3 (which was my personal favorite). It moves a little slowly here and there, but it's all worth it for the finale.

If you liked that scene with Vin and Zane, then you're going to love some of the parts coming up too!