DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I'll give Bakker one thing then; he at least gets credit for actually having a qualification in the subject, unlike Dawkins, so I apologise for lumping them in the same group.

I had just put the book down when I originally posted. Bakker can write, I think it was poorly paced and regardless of what I think of the philosophy riddled through the books or what my morals say about certain scenes, he wrote them all well.

finishing Mistborn book 1 "The Final Empire" tonight. Love it. Obviously got my fingers crossed for an epic finish.

Haven't decided if I will be going to the book store tomorrow to buy Mistborn book 2 or if I will stay in and read Clash of Kings. Depends how lazy I feel tomorrow.

finishing Mistborn book 1 "The Final Empire" tonight. Love it. Obviously got my fingers crossed for an epic finish.

Haven't decided if I will be going to the book store tomorrow to buy Mistborn book 2 or if I will stay in and read Clash of Kings. Depends how lazy I feel tomorrow.

The Mistborn Trilogy is one of my favorite trilogies that has been written in the last ten years. I believe that the best way for you to enjoy the Mistborn Trilogy is to read all three books back to back to back.

Mistborn book 1- Finished. Completed. Done. Brilliant. Fun. Highly enjoyable read, if you like fant READ THIS BOOK!! The magic system is brilliant and the contrast in personalities between the 2 main Allomancers(magic-users) was good to read. Nothing new with them being virtual opposites in personality but I thought Brandon done a great job with Vin and Kelsier. And Kelsier is BRILLIANT. loved his character he's a new addition to my fave characters list and I think I'm going to go and edit my "Fellowship of the Ring" to add him :wink:

the Kelsier vs Inquistor scene with the metal flying around and attacking the Inquisitor, before Kelsier chops off his head was amazing and i want to see it in film!!

Couldn't be bothered to go to book store today so looks as if I'm reading Clash of Kings before going to Mistborn Book 2. I quite like switching between series after a book, I find that if read a full series one after the other I can sometimes get bored of the characters even the my faves :wink:

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

Couldn't be bothered to go to book store today so looks as if I'm reading Clash of Kings before going to Mistborn Book 2. I quite like switching between series after a book, I find that if read a full series one after the other I can sometimes get bored of the characters even the my faves :wink:

I hear you on switching between series between books, I find that it keeps the characters fresh for me...provided I don't take too long to return to them ;)

I recently read the first book of Glen Cook's Black Company series-Croaker is a great narrator, and I really enjoyed his insights as his character progresses through the book. This is a series I will return to soon...

More recently, I finished Red Badge of Courage for the first time since high school. Perhaps it's just me, but I find the book overrated. There is certainly a strong anti-war message, and I'm sure it was quite powerful when the book was first published. However, it just didn't resonate with me.

On a better note, I've finally started Gardens of the Moon, Malazon Volume 1! Way overdue for me to read, I'm 80 pages into it and very much enjoying it. The sense of history is evident on every page, and quite a story is being told here.

Just finished the latest release from the Dresden Files: Ghost Story

Solid book, Butcher is really quite an accomplished writer. He builds compelling characters, although the dialogue can get a little cheese-laden.

Next up for me... I dunno, maybe Sanderson's Mistborn series, I've heard that's good.

Last night, after reading this book for almost two weeks, I finished yet another re-read of Knife of Dreams. I decided to read the last book which was written entirely by James Oliver Rigney in a slow and steady pace so that I could savor each and every paragraph and chapter.

Today, I have started my re-read of The Gathering Storm.

I'm reading A Clash of Kings now, and page 175 Tyrion says perhaps the greatest line ever when talking to Chataya in the brothel; "If I could pray with my cock, I'd be much more religious." Fricking excellent!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've finally started Gardens of the Moon, Malazon Volume 1! Way overdue for me to read, I'm 80 pages into it and very much enjoying it. The sense of history is evident on every page, and quite a story is being told here

I've heard the Malazan books are good. What are peoples thoughts on them??

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

I've heard the Malazan books are good. What are peoples thoughts on them??

The series overall is solid. It's got some amazing high points early on (Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice) but, in my opinion, some of the later books aren't as good.

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/4737-the-malazan-book-of-the-fallen-thread/

This thread has several reviews and also a very good discussion about the various novels in The Malazan Books of the Fallen.

So I was thinking of reading the Chronicles of Tomas Covenant. I've heard of the books. My dad made my middle name Kovan based on the books. Kovan/Covenant meh. But anyways I don't know if they're any good and apparently he rapes a girl in the first book? So anyone have an opinion they'd care to share on the series?

Just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Great call Sleeper. McCarthy in my mind(sig prob gives it away) is the greatest American novelist of our time. Just finished a reread of "Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West" and I can not recommend it enough...a true masterpiece.

Edit: on a diff not just began "Low Town" by Daniel Polansky, starts out strong. I guess you could call it fantasy noir.

Edited by Suttree

I just finished The Crippled God yesterday, and with it The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Not really sure what to say about it. The book was amazing but it's always sad when a series is finished.

Took me a better part of a year to read the entire thing as well. Not sure what I'll be reading next.