DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Just read Gardens of the Moons from the Book of the Fallen series. Are all the books in this similar style? I had a hard time reading this. Just when I felt I was getting to know Whiskyjack and the whole gang, it shifts over to a total different set of characters that I had to get to know. Then I had a hard time figuring out what was actually happening in the end.

Specifically the parts where Paran fights a tree. Somehow a house is made out of it. What's an Azath? Suddenly Vorcan is the major antagonist but is saved. A major antagonist (Tennshyn) throughout the book doesn't even appear in the end. I'm not trying to complain. The storyline after retrospect was very good. It's just frustrating to read the first time through.

Although I'd have to say, Kruppe is very fun to read.

I assume you mean Tayschrenn? Why does he have to appear towards the end of the book? It's a series, his status as an antagonist and whether he's a bad boy or not is addressed in later books. And an Azath is a being that strives for balance. In essence its a "house" that serves as a prison designed to lock up extremely powerful entities, such as Raest the Jaghut Tyrant. Oh and yes there are a shit ton of characters in MBOTF, get used to it ;)

Tayschrenn, yes. I totally annihilated his name lol. I see your point. Thanks for the explanation on an Azath. I just have this feeling that I'm gonna get frustrated with this series. The only things that are keeping my interest are the Paran/Tattersail storyline and Tayschrenn. And I want to see what Quick Ben's powers are. Since he was good enough to win that cage match thing a while back. Meh...I'll give the next book a shot.

Just keep reading. Deadhouse Gates is easier to understand, yes it has an almost all new cast, but it has a much bigger climax and the whole book is written much better, and with the background info from Gardens of the Moon you have enough ground work to move forward with it. Hang in there. By book 4 you'll have all your basic cast known.

Edited by Kadere

Just read Gardens of the Moons from the Book of the Fallen series. Are all the books in this similar style? I had a hard time reading this. Just when I felt I was getting to know Whiskyjack and the whole gang, it shifts over to a total different set of characters that I had to get to know. Then I had a hard time figuring out what was actually happening in the end.

Specifically the parts where Paran fights a tree. Somehow a house is made out of it. What's an Azath? Suddenly Vorcan is the major antagonist but is saved. A major antagonist (Tennshyn) throughout the book doesn't even appear in the end. I'm not trying to complain. The storyline after retrospect was very good. It's just frustrating to read the first time through.

Although I'd have to say, Kruppe is very fun to read.

I assume you mean Tayschrenn? Why does he have to appear towards the end of the book? It's a series, his status as an antagonist and whether he's a bad boy or not is addressed in later books. And an Azath is a being that strives for balance. In essence its a "house" that serves as a prison designed to lock up extremely powerful entities, such as Raest the Jaghut Tyrant. Oh and yes there are a shit ton of characters in MBOTF, get used to it ;)

Tayschrenn, yes. I totally annihilated his name lol. I see your point. Thanks for the explanation on an Azath. I just have this feeling that I'm gonna get frustrated with this series. The only things that are keeping my interest are the Paran/Tattersail storyline and Tayschrenn. And I want to see what Quick Ben's powers are. Since he was good enough to win that cage match thing a while back. Meh...I'll give the next book a shot.

Deadhouse Gates (Book 2) and Memories of ice (Book 3) are mind blowingly awesome. I was on the fence after Gardens of the Moon as well, but the two next books sealed the deal for me.

Deadhouse Gates (Book 2) and Memories of ice (Book 3) are mind blowingly awesome. I was on the fence after Gardens of the Moon as well, but the two next books sealed the deal for me.

I agree. I am reading House of Chains now and it too is awesome. There is a huge cast of characters in this series but it comes back to a core of those in each book.

The overall storyline is vast as well. The planning that must have gone into the creation of this series is impressive.

A little warning. While Deadhouse Gates was truly epic, the cast is almost entirely defferent, as are the locations. Don't let that stop you though. Your patience will be rewarded. Memories of Ice comes back to the original cast and answers some questions from the first two books.

Do yourself a favor and read on.

Edited by redarm

I agree. I am reading House of Chains now and it too is awesome. There is a huge cast of characters in this series but it comes back to a core of those in each book.

The overall storyline is vast as well. The planning that must have gone into the creation of this series is impressive.

A little warning. While Deadhouse Gates was truly epic, the cast is almost entirely defferent, as are the locations. Don't let that stop you though. Your patience will be rewarded. Memories of Ice comes back to the original cast and answers some questions from the first two books.

Do yourself a favor and read on.

Well theres Kalam, Fiddler (yay!), Apsalar and Crokus so you dont feel too lost.

I'm nearly done with Deadhouse Gates, but before that read The Trial of the Doctor and Trolls by Greg Senger.

Finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas this morning, trippy and provocative. Next up is Frank Herbert's Dune. I don't read sci-fi that often, but want to give this a shot.

With Dune, it starts a little slow, but is very good I thought.

Just finished Dune this morning, was not a fan (and I realize I'm in the minority on this). I think Herbert did a great job building the world of Arrakis, but for me the novel falls short with his characterization and a heavy reliance on political posturing. I felt like I was reading Crossroads of Twilight, the space version. Glad to be done with it.

Next up for me is Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster trilogy. Been wanting to read this for a long time and looking forward to it!

Just finished reading Patricia Briggs' newest Mercy Thompson novel, River Marked. I've really liked the other ones as far as light reading goes, this one felt shorter and more rushed though.

Now starting on some of the Valdemar books by one of my favorite authors, Mercedes Lackey. After that I may read more of her books, go find and re-read my copy of New Spring, or possibly go back to a post-apocalyptic series I began awhile back, The Vampire Earth by E.E. Knight. All very good, if all over the place in terms of style/theme!

200 Pages left of Toll the Hounds

(Dont read the spoiler tags unless youve read the book/isn't planning on reading it - ever.

And this book is flaming depressing! Murillio dead, Mallet dead, Bluepearl dead, Seerdomin and Salind apparently burned, I know Anomander is going to die, Banisk died (the city!), Kedeviss dead, Clip possessed, too many downs and too few ups! Still a great book though

Just finished reading Patricia Briggs' newest Mercy Thompson novel, River Marked. I've really liked the other ones as far as light reading goes, this one felt shorter and more rushed though.

I had the same feeling. "River Marked" is not bad and definitely has its moments, but you're right, it feels shorter and somehow rushed through - more like an expanded short story.

Right now, I'm reading "A Game of Thrones". After 200 pages I can say: more of it! :biggrin: But I'm prepared, the other books are already waiting for me on my bookshelf... together with "Gardens of the Moon". Enough stuff to read for a couple of weeks. :biggrin:

I also just started Gardens of the Moon, and am liking it so far!

I'm still curious about if anyone knows the answer to my question from last month.

I finished The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfus today. Damn good reading. But I do have a question that would be a spoiler, since I think I missed something:

How exactly does this arrangement between Kvothe and the person who takes the tuition work? I know that the Maer has agreed to pay his tuition at the University, but how come he gets to split everything over 10 talents with the guy that accepts tuition payments? Was there some kind of upper limit to his tuition agreed upon when he started that I missed? Perhaps in the first book? He made a comment like 'too bad my tuition can never be over 10 talents.' (wink wink nudge nudge) I must have missed it. :mellow:

I also just started Gardens of the Moon, and am liking it so far!

I'm still curious about if anyone knows the answer to my question from last month.

I finished The Wise Man's Fear by Rothfus today. Damn good reading. But I do have a question that would be a spoiler, since I think I missed something:

How exactly does this arrangement between Kvothe and the person who takes the tuition work? I know that the Maer has agreed to pay his tuition at the University, but how come he gets to split everything over 10 talents with the guy that accepts tuition payments? Was there some kind of upper limit to his tuition agreed upon when he started that I missed? Perhaps in the first book? He made a comment like 'too bad my tuition can never be over 10 talents.' (wink wink nudge nudge) I must have missed it. :mellow:

I'll give answering it a shot.

Kvothe was intentionally doing... not as well as he could in order to get charged a higher tuition, having already agreed that he would take a cut. If Kvothe has a lower tuition, the University doesn't benefit as much, so this agreement puts money in their coffers, and in Kvothe's pockets - the Bursar thus goes along with it because there's a benefit to him. The Maer is rich enough that he won't really notice. Is that clearer?

As for what I'm reading:

Red Seas Under Red Skies,

Shadow of the Wind,

Warlord,

MI6,

Corvus,

Emperor of Dreams,

Kraken,

From Hell,

Doctor Who: Dead of Winter,

A View From the Foothills,

White Luck Warrior,

Midwich Cuckoos,

Count of Monte Cristo.

I just got done with the scott pilgrim graphic novels, rereading all of WoT now just started winters heart again. Also finally started gardens of the moon. Also finished Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. I really need to stop reading multiple books at once.

Finished House of Chains and started Midnight Tides. I'll have to make a trip to the bookstore soon. Only have Bonehumters left on the shelf in the Malazan series.

I did pick up Pillars of the Earth at a library sale this weekend. Brand new copy too. Binding hasn't even been broken. Lots of people seem to have enjoyed it so I figured why not. Worst case I'm out fifty cents and a little time.

Anyway, loving the Malazan stuff so I'll stick with that for now.

i'm still on Shadow Rising in my WoT re-read. im almost done though, Rand just got to Cold Rocks Hold. about 200 more pages to go with two fast paced battles!!

i'me not looking forward to getting to LoC though. that book, till WH are always hard for me to get through.

The next couple of days will be spent re-reading and studying: Problems of knowledge, a critical introduction to epistemology by Michael Williams,... DO NOT read this unless you have vast oceans of time, a hammoc and the opinion that there is nothing more to life than reading that very book. (This only goes for people who are not familiar with Filosophical scepticism, Coherentism, Fundationalism or Contextualism... (that's a lot of -ism's))

... the exams make my mood drop below zero. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, I just ordered Dance with Dragons and am really looking forward to reading it. Also got my hands on Joe Abercrombie's 'Best served Cold'. Haven't really read anything of his work till now. Is it any good?

I just finished Logan's Run. The concept works better than the execution but it is still a decent read.

Additionally I recently finished the Sandman Slim series by R Kadrey. Worth picking up if you get the chance.

I'm not sure where I'll go next but I'm thinking It's a toss up between Doc EE Smith's Lensman stories and The Last Stand Of The Fallen Series.

Also just finished reading Ender's Game aloud to my children, they loved it, now I have to find something new to read to them so anyone have suggestions for appropriate reads for 9 and 10 year olds? (Before you suggest: The Harry Potter Series, LOTR, Percy Jackson, and Neil Gaimon are already off the list we tackled all of them this year).

Also just finished reading Ender's Game aloud to my children, they loved it, now I have to find something new to read to them so anyone have suggestions for appropriate reads for 9 and 10 year olds? (Before you suggest: The Harry Potter Series, LOTR, Percy Jackson, and Neil Gaimon are already off the list we tackled all of them this year).

What about Michael Ende? He's a German author, but his works have been translated. "Die unendliche Geschichte" is "The Neverending Story" - maybe you know the films? They're not half as good as the book - in fact, they don't have much in common. Maybe you could give it a try? I can also recommend other Michael Ende books. "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch" is "The Night of Wishes" (the title is so funny in German, the English title sounds rather simple, but it's a great book), or "Momo". Ende's books are unique, his imagination is vast, he writes intelligent fantasy for children, but even adults enjoy his books. If you want something special, you should try it out (and please tell me if you liked the books! :happy: )

What about Michael Ende? He's a German author, but his works have been translated. "Die unendliche Geschichte" is "The Neverending Story" - maybe you know the films? They're not half as good as the book - in fact, they don't have much in common. Maybe you could give it a try? I can also recommend other Michael Ende books. "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch" is "The Night of Wishes" (the title is so funny in German, the English title sounds rather simple, but it's a great book), or "Momo". Ende's books are unique, his imagination is vast, he writes intelligent fantasy for children, but even adults enjoy his books. If you want something special, you should try it out (and please tell me if you liked the books! :happy: )

Thank you for the suggestions. I will certainly take a look at these books.