DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

going through harry potter again in the car, jane eyre at home and emma at work.

How did you find Emma? Had to study it years ago and found it to be the most Godawful boring book ever written.

Currently reading S Kings last Dark Tower book, but I've fallen out of love with him over the last few years so it's a slog and I keep breaking away to read/reread others.

i'm re-reading "The Dragon Reborn" <3 <3 <3 this book. it's always been my fav with the last two, tGS & tToM, tieing for 2nd.

i love how much happens in this book as far as character progression and story line progression; and the fact that the action picks up fairly early and keeps going; as well as the amount of storylines that are started with this book!! just freakin awesome man!!

Just finished "The girls with the dragon tatoo", "The girl who played with fire" and "The girl who kicked the hornets nest". First non-fantasy I had read in a long time and they were pretty engaging. I'm looking for the next books to get into while I wait for "A dance with dragons"...

Guest cindy.

i just read twilight. listened to, i mean.

i am ashamed of myself. it was not good.

and yet i am compelled to read the rest of them.

so wrong, so very very wrong.

So after deciding to put aside Piers Anthony's A spell for Chameleon due to readers block or whatever you want to call it I ended up finishing it. It really wasn't bad. Just very basic, shallow let's say. Kind of a fantasy kiddie pool. Nice to dangle your feet to cool off but just isn't as satisfying as diving in to the deep end. Saw in the back that the book won the August Derleth Fantasy Award(first I had heard of it)for best novel of 1977. Makes me glad we have such a fine array of fantasy lit out there now that is new and engaging.

Anyway, I have begun Deadhouse Gates. Only gotten through the prologue but daaammmnn! Gruesome scene with the dude sawing the noble head off a lady with the prisoners chains he is in and then throwing it into the crowd. Awesome! Can't wait to read more.

Edited by redarm

Now re-re-reading EotW, then the next books... After that I will read Malazan book of the Fallen, after that the Count of monte cristo.

Before this I read all of Robin Hobb's books, and ASOIAF.

Are you reading the abridged or unabridged version of Monte Cristo? It's easy to tell the difference -- one is massive, the other isn't :)

I read the unabridged version without realizing there was another option, and honestly, I wish I had picked up the abridged! I know others who swear by the original, so that's just me I guess :)

meh, tDR was always my fav in the series. all the plots that open up, all the characters you meet and the book picks up very quickly in comparision to some of the other in the series.

okay good *grins* just wanted to make sure cause you'd be missing some good stuff and might be lost with the whole Chan thing and Egwene talking about never being collared again had you skipped to just the 3rd book *nods* of course, i say this and i'm one of those who started the HP series on the 3rd book :laugh:

well, be ware of spoilers for sure; you might want to stay away from the Book Discussion area of DM until you get to "The Gathering Storm" at the least otherwise it will ruin alot of the good stuff thats to come! otherwise enjoy the world your about to get immersed in.

also, typically the Social Groups of DM are good about not posting spoilers. if you jump into a WoT convo over in any of the groups just tell them your reading it for the first time and you shouldn't have a problem with spoilers :happy:

Much like Redarm above, I too am reading Deadhouse Gates. I was going to not to - I really didn't like Garden's of the Moon until the last 200 or so pages. But on the other had, those 200 pages were amazing, especially compared to the previous 500 odd pages. So I am dutifully reading the second book. It's ok, unfortunately at the moment it seems like the only reoccurring characters from the first book were people I didn't care that much about, so that is a little lame. But regardless, we shall see how much I like it by the end!

Just finished Brave New World. Finally getting around to reading Brandon Sanderson's Elantris now.

Keep meaning to read Elantris as well. The story sounds really interesting. Let us know what you think.

Great book unless you're only after action scenes. I loved it even though 2 of the 3 main characters are waaay too perfect, witty, smart... you get the point.

A couple of months ago when I finished ToM, I went out searching for something new to start. I bought 4 different books, all of which are the start of series most people on here would recognize. But I couldn't get into any of them. So I couldn't help myself and I picked of EotW again. This is the first time I am doing a re-read, I'm hoping to get through all 13 books(assuming I can force myself through 8-10) again before the release of MoL, . But I must admit, I am enjoying this second time reading through so much more. I knew there was a great deal of for shadowing in the first book. But going back and reading it, knowing whats going to happen, I just have a constant smile on my face. And I guess I feel that is why I couldn't get into anything new. I loved this story so much that something new wasn't going to cut it, and I had to start over.

Just finished Brave New World. Finally getting around to reading Brandon Sanderson's Elantris now.

Keep meaning to read Elantris as well. The story sounds really interesting. Let us know what you think.

Great book unless you're only after action scenes. I loved it even though 2 of the 3 main characters are waaay too perfect, witty, smart... you get the point.

I just finished Elantris-this is an incredible debut novel! MierinWru, I hear you on 1 of the 3 main characters perhaps being perfect, but Sarene and Hrathen are fully fleshed out characters. I think of this novel as a mix of fantasy/mystery for most of the book, but enough action to pull you in. I totally recommend it. I've posted a full review on my blog on here: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/blog/26/entry-1223-review-of-elantris-by-brandon-sanderson/

And now that I've finished Elantris, I'm re-reading Game of Thrones before I start watching the HBO series.

Edited by TheBeerPatriot

I just finished Elantris-this is an incredible debut novel! MierinWru, I hear you on 1 of the 3 main characters perhaps being perfect, but Sarene and Hrathen are fully fleshed out characters. I think of this novel as a mix of fantasy/mystery for most of the book, but enough action to pull you in. I totally recommend it. I've posted a full review on my blog on here: http://www.dragonmou...ndon-sanderson/

And now that I've finished Elantris, I'm re-reading Game of Thrones before I start watching the HBO series.

If you loved it so much you'll definitely enjoy reading all the annotations Sanderson has published for the book on his website. He's basically explaining what he was trying to achieve with every scene and talks about the symmetry in the books structure. Each chapter consists of all 3 point-of-view character's parts and those parts are always happening at the SAME time. It's quite an interesting concept but I forgot the details since it's been a while. To be honest I didn't realize how strict the structure was adhered to until I read Sanderson's blog.

I really loved the book. I think he did an amazing job at describing how the magic works and it was a wonderful mystery to see how the main character finally figured out why magic doesn't work anymore. It all made sense and that's very rare for magic in fantasy books.

Currently re-reading Brian Lumley's original "Necroscope" series, for me the ONLY vampires that matter! I reread them regularly!

Before that I read Patrick Rothfuss "The Name of the Wind" which I did enjoy but is no classic.

Can't seem to get into Stan Nicholls' "Orcs" or Tad Williams' "Shadowmarch" - are they worth the effort?