DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo", book 1 of the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson.  Started "The Girl Who Played with Fire", book 2. Highly recommend to those looking for a break from SF / Fantasy.  Lisbeth Salander is quite a character.

OBSERVATION:  Predictably, after reviewing this thread, most are reading Fantasy / SF.  Over the years, I think I've read the majority of them.  Noted that no one seems to be in to the Melanie Rawn books.  Read them years ago, thought they were pretty good, especially the Exiles trilogy, yet unfinished. 

However, after RJ's WOT and Martin's ASoIaF, everything else in the genre seems to be lacking imo.  I'm likely a little older than most posters on here but would be interested if there's something out there that would blow me away.  Seems there's a lot in the European markets we don't see here in the U.S.A.

Reading Malazan Book of the Fallen series at the moment.

Its alright, not extremely good, but worth a read.

In future i have The Adventures of Marco Polo, Towers of Midnight (of course, it goes without saying) and I am feeling partial to a re-read of Wayfarers Redemption by Sara Douglas

Reading Codex Alera by Jim Butcher right now, and it is really good. Great worldbuilding, great prose, great characters. He can sometimes be a bit hamfisted with the revelation moments, but its a small fault.

Next up the Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker.

Considering starting on Malazan Book of the Fallen but not sure in what order I should read it. Should I just read the main series first and then do the novellas and novels afterwards or should I interchange them?

Considering starting on Malazan Book of the Fallen but not sure in what order I should read it. Should I just read the main series first and then do the novellas and novels afterwards or should I interchange them?

Erkison recommends reading them in order of publication.

Starting with Gardens of the Moon. 

It may ruin suprises and such in the main series if you read it cronologically.

Plus, first writen, Gardens of the Moon, being the first, sets the story up and the world (like RJ explores the nature of the power etc..) and the later published ones, although chronologically beforehand, hae the feeling that you should already know all about the dynamics of the world.

Thats just my opinion, it may be better reading them cronologically for you, but thats what i suggest.

Erkison recommends reading them in order of publication.

Starting with Gardens of the Moon. 

It may ruin suprises and such in the main series if you read it cronologically.

Plus, first writen, Gardens of the Moon, being the first, sets the story up and the world (like RJ explores the nature of the power etc..) and the later published ones, although chronologically beforehand, hae the feeling that you should already know all about the dynamics of the world.

Thats just my opinion, it may be better reading them cronologically for you, but thats what i suggest.

So basically it's:

- Gardens of the Moon

- Deadhouse Gates

- Memories of Ice

- Blood Follows

- House of Chains

- Midnight Tides

- The Healthy Dead

- Night of Knives

- The Bonehunters

- The Lees of Laughter's end

- Reaper's Gale

- Return of the Crimson Guard

- Toll the Hounds

- Dust of Dreams

- Crack'd Pot Trail

in that order?  :P

Ohhh, your going from Ian Esselemont aswell. Not just Erikson's storyline.

Jee, I have no idea to be honest, I havent read Esselemonts books in the series so i wouldnt know.

I thought you meant Midnight Tides and stuff, because it is set years before the first book.

I agree with the order of the Erikson novels that you have stated, I am not sure where the Esselemont books fit in though.

Ohhh, your going from Ian Esselemont aswell. Not just Erikson's storyline.

Jee, I have no idea to be honest, I havent read Esselemonts books in the series so i wouldnt know.

I thought you meant Midnight Tides and stuff, because it is set years before the first book.

I agree with the order of the Erikson novels that you have stated, I am not sure where the Esselemont books fit in though.

Yeah it's how the other stories fit in that confused me :D