DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Just finished Midnight Tides by Steven Ericson. Man that was a slow read. Not that I didn't like it, some of the characters were amazing (Bugg and Tehol anyone?) and the end was certainly dramatic enough, even if it didn't explain how Trull is shorn from his brothers and family.

Going to purchase Bonehunters today and start reading that.

You thought MT was slow? Oh dude. RG and TtH are going to kill you! :laugh:

Both are really good though. It just become even more apparent then ever before that nothing happens until the last 200 pages.

It's not so much that its a slow/boring read, rather that I found it hard to get thrown into a completely new world with completely new characters 5 books into a series. The book itself was great but it felt almost like starting a new series, which always means I take much much longer to finish the book. Kinda like how I spent almost a month with Gardens of the Moon but Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice took me under a week.

The Crimson Guardsmen also made me speed up a lot, nice to have some reference to the world of the previous books.

Still a great book though.

Finished The Way of Kings this morning. Loved it. Looking forward to the next chapter. 9 more books, at least. I'm in for the long hall. Next up is a new Terry Brooks book, Legends of Shannara, Bearers of the Black Staff. Looks like another subset of Shannara series that takes place after the The Genesis of Shannara trilogy(very good) and before First King of Shannara(ok stand alone). Should be a quick read.

A long, enjoyable re-read through Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar novels. I read the newest two (grad school has me kinda behind on FUN reading ;) ), and was still in Valdemar mindset, so I reread the Arrows trilogy, Mage Winds trilogy, and have finally almost finished Mage Storms again. Haven't had time to -reread them in almost 13 years (the latter two trilogies anyway). Very relaxing!

That covers most recent reads and 'current.'

As for NEXT.... I'm not entirely sure. Possibly A Farewell to Arms and a couple of the other books recommended by my Graduate Advisor as things that would help me with the novel I'm working on for my Thesis.

For fun, I will probably catch up on Star Wars or Mistborn.

Edited by LadyWordsmith

Finished Bearers of the Black Staff(Terry Brooks). Starting Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. See the Malazan Book of the Fallen series recommended all the time, although i've seen somewhat mixed reviews. Recieved the first four for christmas and figured I'd start.

Finished A Darkness at Sethanon by Raymond Feist. Started Conquest: How Societies Overwhelm Others by David Day.

Started and finished A Game of Thrones in anticipation of the HBO adaption and based on recs from posters here. Started the final volume of Edmund Morris's bio of TDR. Still technically reading The Everlasting Man by G.K. Chesteron and Conquest. I recently purchased The Way of Kings and received Mark Twain's autobiography as a gift, but Lord knows when I'll be able to read either one (I have an awesome picture of Towers of Midnight, The Way of Kings, the Mark Twain autobiography, and a constitutional law casebook stacked on top of each other--those are some hefty books).

Just finished Bonehunters, and I loved it. Personally thought it was easily the third best book in the series so far (After Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice on a shared first place).

Hoping to pick up Reapers Gale tomorrow.

Just finished Gardens of the Moon. Great book! I was thinking of starting The Deadhouse Gates but decided to ease off a little and started A spell For Chameleon, by Piers Anthony. I have something like a dozen of these Xanth books. Figured I'd knock a few off before continuing with Malazan.

Edited by redarm

Just finished Roger Kahn's The Boys of Summer, which covers the Brooklyn Dodgers of the 1950's-great book, and lyrically written.

I'm now going to indulge myself with some light reading and re-read the Belgariad by David Eddings. First time in over 20 years I'm picking up these books-can't believe it's been that long! While these books might be geared toward a YA audience as opposed to adults, this initial series is fairly enjoyable.

Just finished Gardens of the Moon. Great book! I was thinking of starting The Deadhouse Gates but decided to ease off a little and started A spell For Chameleon, by Piers Anthony. I have something like a dozen of these Xanth books. Figured I'd knock a few off before continuing with Malazan.

Mate, do yourself a favor and keep on with Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Mate, do yourself a favor and keep on with Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I will return after I complete Xanth 1. Shouldn't take long. I discovered once I got into this book all I wanted to do was read more Malazan. Can't stop in the middle though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished 'The Heroes' by Joe Abercrombie. After feeling a bit underwhelmed by his last book, which is weird as it got really goood reviews and is generally regarded as a good book, this is a step back in the right direction. Great action, some nice laughs, interesting new characters and loved the short pov's of characters switching at a rapid pace in the fight scenes.

It's will be intersting to see where he is going with the main story of Bayaz and them Gurkish guys.

Also done with 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch. Quick and easy read. Thought it would of been a lot more humourous. Much preferred Neil Gamien's 'Neverwhere'. Both set in London and both have a touch of magic about them. On the other hand I will probably get 'Moon over Soho' the minute it's released.

Now about forty pages into 'Bitter Seeds' the first book in thh Milkweed trilogy by Ian Tregillis. World War II and superpowered Germans, should make for a good book.

After that it be 'The City and The City' by that Mieville chap. It will be my first book to read by an author who is getting a lot of exposure.