DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Just finished Brave New World. Finally getting around to reading Brandon Sanderson's Elantris now.

Keep meaning to read Elantris as well. The story sounds really interesting. Let us know what you think.

Great book unless you're only after action scenes. I loved it even though 2 of the 3 main characters are waaay too perfect, witty, smart... you get the point.

I just finished Elantris-this is an incredible debut novel! MierinWru, I hear you on 1 of the 3 main characters perhaps being perfect, but Sarene and Hrathen are fully fleshed out characters. I think of this novel as a mix of fantasy/mystery for most of the book, but enough action to pull you in. I totally recommend it. I've posted a full review on my blog on here: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/blog/26/entry-1223-review-of-elantris-by-brandon-sanderson/

And now that I've finished Elantris, I'm re-reading Game of Thrones before I start watching the HBO series.

Cool. Just ordered it last week from America so should have it by August. :rolleyes: The joys of living in Ireland.

Just finished Brave New World. Finally getting around to reading Brandon Sanderson's Elantris now.

Keep meaning to read Elantris as well. The story sounds really interesting. Let us know what you think.

Great book unless you're only after action scenes. I loved it even though 2 of the 3 main characters are waaay too perfect, witty, smart... you get the point.

I just finished Elantris-this is an incredible debut novel! MierinWru, I hear you on 1 of the 3 main characters perhaps being perfect, but Sarene and Hrathen are fully fleshed out characters. I think of this novel as a mix of fantasy/mystery for most of the book, but enough action to pull you in. I totally recommend it. I've posted a full review on my blog on here: http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/blog/26/entry-1223-review-of-elantris-by-brandon-sanderson/

And now that I've finished Elantris, I'm re-reading Game of Thrones before I start watching the HBO series.

Cool. Just ordered it last week from America so should have it by August. :rolleyes: The joys of living in Ireland.

I thought Elantris was ok... kinda slow and frankly boring sometimes. It was a "I have to finish this"-feeling, but there was some plotpoints that kept it interesting.

Right now I´m rereading Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter (<3) just started my reread on CoT and Im also on book one in the Darkest Jewels Trilogy (really good and angsty reading!)

I just finished Ted Dekker's "Showdown" and "The Magic of Recluse" by LM Modesitt Jr. "Showdown" was good. TMoR was okay, but I wasnt crazy about Modesitt's style. As some people have mentioned, I'd also really recommend Jim Butcher (both the Dresden Files and Codex Alera), as well as Brandon Sanderson's other works - I've read them all except A Way with Kings.

Currently reading Dance with Dragons (George RR Martin) and it's great, as has been the rest of that series. Also some assorted graphic novels and manga (good stuff!)

Not sure what I'm reading next - I'm debating between trying out Tad Williams's Otherworld series and switching over to something non-fantasy for a little while.

I've just finished The Well of Ascension. I'm worried about finishing this trilogy. The Hero of Ages is sitting right next to me. But as I said I am worried. Specifically about Elend. I can deal with him being an Allomancer, but not if he turns out to be more powerful than Vin.

I've just finished The Well of Ascension. I'm worried about finishing this trilogy. The Hero of Ages is sitting right next to me. But as I said I am worried. Specifically about Elend. I can deal with him being an Allomancer, but not if he turns out to be more powerful than Vin.

That was my thought as well. I felt their relationship was stronger when they had to contend with being unequal in terms of abilities.

I didn't like that decision at all.

Well I started The Hero of Ages. I am already disappointed with Elend. I barely liked him in the first place to be honest but now.. it just seems.. wrong, like everything Vin did in the previous books have been cheapened. I can only hope it's still Vin's story and try to ignore anything Elend does directly with Allomancy.

I'm currently reading A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin. If you can get through the first book of the series it's a really great series to read while waiting on Wheel of time... of course the wait between books is typically longer than the longest period of time we ever had to wait for a WoT book.

Before that was Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card, which is a direct sequel to Ender's Game rather than taking place 30 years later like the other sequels. It was surprisingly good for a book I thought was nothing but the author trying to get an easy paycheck by selling yet another Ender book. It felt a lot more like Ender's Game and a lot less like Speaker for the Dead.

And before that was the Desthstalker series by Simon R. Green. They're not the best written books in the universe, but they are so incredibly entertaining that you just don't care most of the time.

Next up I plan to read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. I've heard really good things about it, and I liked the Starz miniseries based on it. Or maybe The Stand by Stephen King, I've always wanted to read that but never gotten around to it.

Well I started The Hero of Ages. I am already disappointed with Elend. I barely liked him in the first place to be honest but now.. it just seems.. wrong, like everything Vin did in the previous books have been cheapened. I can only hope it's still Vin's story and try to ignore anything Elend does directly with Allomancy.

I take offense!

I actually agree though. But don't worry, Elend is never on the same level as Vin. Take Breeze as an example. No doubt that Vin and Kelsier were both stronger than he was. But he was still better at soothing than they are. Elend to Vin is similar- powerful, but he never really gets up to snuff with them, and so much of Allomancy isn't raw power but how you use it.

ETA: Also, I've totally began Malazan. So far it's alright but the writing style is kind of grating on me. I think that has to do with reading it immediately after A Dance with Dragons, which uses a highly introspective and personal style.

Edited by Elend

Finished Century of the Soldier. It's a great omnibus, with some particularly poignant parts, but the final book is weaker than the rest of the series -- it reads more like a quick epilogue or a history lesson than the rest of the series. Still, I'd recommend the series (Paul Kearney's Monarchies of God).

Working on The Darkness That Comes Before. It's good so far, but you really have to be in the right mindset to read it.

Edited by Hybrid

I take offense!

You would! Any time, anywhere, I'll take you on pretty-boy with your pre-pubescent attempt at a beard! You can have your Allomancy. I'll use my own fantasy superpower.. I know, I'll be a Super Saiyan :biggrin:!

Working on The Darkness That Comes Before. It's good so far, but you really have to be in the right mindset to read it.

I understand that feeling. I've only read Part 1 of TDTCB but I really do what to finish it. I'll need to decide for Bakker and Wurts after I finish the Mistborn trilogy (today hopefully). I also need to decide whether I'll read Dune Messiah before or after. And I have Gene Wolfe's Shadow and Claw on the way. Maybe Bakker might need to wait a little :tongue:!

Edited by Jon Paul

Haven't posted on this board for over a month, but have still been busy reading. Read Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster Trilogy (ok, but not her best work), Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost (somewhat funny, but trite), and just finished Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (decent).

At long last I am now reading Glen Cook's The Black Company. I'm only about 30 pages in, but definitely hooked already. Croaker-along with Silent, Mercy and the others-are vividly drawn characters. If the rest of the series is like this, I could see myself doing a whole series read of the Black Company right after this.

That's pretty much how I found Elantris as well. The first time through you have to finish it to figure out what's going on. But I can't muster up enough interest for a second read.

Kinda putting me off it know. Ive started Storm Front and have Fool Moon lined up after it, so looks like it will be a while before Elantris gets a look in. Whats the Dresden series like?

That's pretty much how I found Elantris as well. The first time through you have to finish it to figure out what's going on. But I can't muster up enough interest for a second read.

Kinda putting me off it know. Ive started Storm Front and have Fool Moon lined up after it, so looks like it will be a while before Elantris gets a look in. Whats the Dresden series like?

I've only read the first two in the Dresden series so far, but liked it. First-person narrative has a droll sense of humor, really enjoyed it. I'll probably read further in the series at some point, just too many books on my plate.

Regarding Elantris, I could not get through it the first time and stopped at about the 50 page mark. However, I gave it another shot earlier this year and I think it is well worth it. While there are some characterization flaws, the magic system is entirely original, and has a decent plot running through it. I definitely recommend giving Elantris a shot.

I've only read the first two in the Dresden series so far, but liked it. First-person narrative has a droll sense of humor, really enjoyed it. I'll probably read further in the series at some point, just too many books on my plate.

Regarding Elantris, I could not get through it the first time and stopped at about the 50 page mark. However, I gave it another shot earlier this year and I think it is well worth it. While there are some characterization flaws, the magic system is entirely original, and has a decent plot running through it. I definitely recommend giving Elantris a shot.

Definitly will give it a shot but like you Ive too many books on the go. Two China Meiville books to read as well, City and The City and Kraken. There's also that Prince of Thorns coming out soon. Too many books and to much other things getting in the way.

Re-reading WOT (I'm up to POD as of last night)

Re-reading ASOIAF

Name of the Wind

Lies My Teacher Told Me (Honestly, it isn't the JFK conspiracy, hippie nonsense it sounds like. It's really good.)

After that, I'll pick up Wise Man's Fear, and then I'll dive into one of my Histories (Herodotus, Suetonius, Tacitus)

I just finished The Hero of Ages and I'm actually feeling rather.. numb for the ending. My fears about Elend proved to be unfounded thankfully but I'm still struggling to decide whether certain.. events.. at the end have detracted from Vin. But I enjoyed it.

And quite frankly George R. R. Martin has absolutely nothing on Brandon Sanderson.

I finally got around to reading Moby Dick, and now that I have finished it, I can authoritatively say: "What's the big deal?" I appreciate the intricate prose, and I totally get that much of it is symbolic, but is it really worthy of its reputation as one of the all-time classics? I vote "no." If I want to read a novel just for the poetry of the words, I'll take All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren any day.

I am now about halfway through The Gunslinger, book one of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. I am enjoying it, despite a few qualms... but I'll withhold judgment until the end. I'm sure I'll end up reading the rest of The Dark Tower before AMoL finally arrives.

And since I always like to have at least one nonfiction iron in the fire (not to mention the fact that my wife and I are expecting our first child around Halloween), I am also finishing up Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, which is awesome. Seriously.

Have decided to read Mistborn Book 1 The Final Empire before reading aSoIaF Book 2. Game of Thrones wasnt quite as good as I expected it to be. It has some very, very good parts(e.g the final chapter, which was brilliant!!), but I didn't find at any point that I needed to read on, and I found Eddard Stark a complete fool, not sure if thats a widespread opinion or not.

Am going to read Mistborn 1 and then decide on which series to complete 1st. Peoples thoughts on Mistborn would b welcome(would prefer no spoilers in any replies :happy: )

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

Have decided to read Mistborn Book 1 The Final Empire before reading aSoIaF Book 2. Game of Thrones wasnt quite as good as I expected it to be. It has some very, very good parts(e.g the final chapter, which was brilliant!!), but I didn't find at any point that I needed to read on, and I found Eddard Stark a complete fool, not sure if thats a widespread opinion or not.

Am going to read Mistborn 1 and then decide on which series to complete 1st. Peoples thoughts on Mistborn would b welcome(would prefer no spoilers in any replies :happy: )

Awesome series, great and unique magic system and awesome characters. Probably one of my favourites.