DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

I just finished Logan's Run. The concept works better than the execution but it is still a decent read.

Additionally I recently finished the Sandman Slim series by R Kadrey. Worth picking up if you get the chance.

I'm not sure where I'll go next but I'm thinking It's a toss up between Doc EE Smith's Lensman stories and The Last Stand Of The Fallen Series.

Also just finished reading Ender's Game aloud to my children, they loved it, now I have to find something new to read to them so anyone have suggestions for appropriate reads for 9 and 10 year olds? (Before you suggest: The Harry Potter Series, LOTR, Percy Jackson, and Neil Gaimon are already off the list we tackled all of them this year).

you could try Narnia, Inheratancy Trilogy (Eragon), a book series called Warriors by Erin Hunter (is about cats), His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass), and Rick Roiden (Percy Jackson) has two other series out "Kane Chronicles" & "Olympian Chronicles"

theres also Limine Snickets "Unfortunate Events" series as well as "Artemis Fowl" series. i've also heard the "Fableheaven" and "Inkheart" are good as well though out of the ones i've listed these are the only two series i haven't personally read.

and you could always fall back on the good oldies. Box Car Children, Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys. or even the good old Goosebumps series (which has 200+ books all below 200 pages in kid size font, loved these growing up!!)

Stardust is a nifty little book, but then again you really cannot go wrong with Gaiman.

Oh *-* I started Neverwhere two months ago but I had to stop reading it because it wasn't my book but a library book :unsure: I will during theses holidays try to borrow again Neverwhere, I only read 100 pages but it was enough I was spellbound by Neverwhere xD

Red2111 =>Maybe they will like Stravaganza by Mary Hoffman... I think the Anthony Horowitz's books are cool, I like this author ^_^ (alex Rider,the devil and the boy), Arthur, the seeing stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland if they like medieval stories and historical basis for King Arthur, The Sisters Grimm and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine if they like fairytales. Does your children like historical books ? Because Caius geht

ein licht auf (i don't know the title in english :huh:) by Henry Winterfeld, Dancing through fireby Kathryn Lasky are very good books (a)

Edited by Vidka

• 2 weeks later...

i finished "Shadow Rising" a few days ago. decided to take a break from WoT with DwD's comming out, so i picked up some light reading and started Throne of Fire by Rick Roiden Friday. it didn't last long cause i finished it yesturday. was a good book, about on par with the first book in the Kane Crhonicals.

i'm now re-starting the 1st book in the Fablehaven series. no since starting up Way of Kings or Fires of Heaven only to put it down half way for DwD *nods*

Just finished reading the Mistborn trilogy for the second time. Don't have anything planned to read at the moment, though I plan a WoT reread to start three to four months before AMoL is released, so I don't really have time for any series between now and then.

Currently reading Dust of Dreams (Only got that and The Crippled God left of the series :sad: )

DoD spoilers follow:

Did anyone else find that the parts in the Wasteland with the Snake and the K'chain Che Malle were pretty boring? I mean I absolutely love the parts with the Letherii and Malazans, and the Perish parts to an extent. The Barghast parts are also quite interesting but my god the Wasteland stuff drags.

DoD spoilers follow:

Did anyone else find that the parts in the Wasteland with the Snake and the K'chain Che Malle were pretty boring? I mean I absolutely love the parts with the Letherii and Malazans, and the Perish parts to an extent. The Barghast parts are also quite interesting but my god the Wasteland stuff drags.

The K'chain Che Malle and Snake parts are incredibly important, so pay very close attention to everything, cause in TCG he's going to pop quiz you like a sledgehammer to the face. In fact he'll quiz the hell out of you about the K'chain at the end of DoD as well. You really have to think of DoD and TCG as one book. There's nothing in either that's not vitally important.

i have 3 brand new shiny books bought today. George RR Martins Song of Ice and Fire books 1 and 2 and Brandon Sandersons Mistborn book 1. have heard good things about both series, George RR Martins works are supposedly amazing, havent heard so much on Sandersons but was definitely influenced by the fact he is finishing the WoT novels. what r peoples opinions on these books.

has anybody read Ian Irvine's "The View From the Mirror" quartet?? i have read book 1 and i have books 2 and 3 at home ready to b read. i have actually had books 2 and 3 for about 8/9 months now untouched, the 1st novel of the quartet is good but not great, was just wondering if anybody can tell how good the rest of the series is??

DoD spoilers follow:

The K'chain Che Malle and Snake parts are incredibly important, so pay very close attention to everything, cause in TCG he's going to pop quiz you like a sledgehammer to the face. In fact he'll quiz the hell out of you about the K'chain at the end of DoD as well. You really have to think of DoD and TCG as one book. There's nothing in either that's not vitally important.

Sigh.. I guess you're gonna tell me the Shake storyline is super important as well? :sad:

Thank god for the Malazans, Tehol, Khundryl and Perish.

Sigh.. I guess you're gonna tell me the Shake storyline is super important as well? :sad:

The Shake plotline is more important than the Perish plotline, soooooooooo yes. The Shake plotline in TCG is one of the best parts of the whole series, you just have to tough out the journey section. Once they get to their destination things pick up.

DoD spoilers follow:

The Shake remain disconnected from the main plotline, and could have been removed with no change to the plot. And one of the big problems I have with Erikson is that for all he has some wonderful stuff in there, there does tend to be an awful lot of really boring stuff as well.

DoD spoilers follow:

The Shake remain disconnected from the main plotline, and could have been removed with no change to the plot. And one of the big problems I have with Erikson is that for all he has some wonderful stuff in there, there does tend to be an awful lot of really boring stuff as well.

I have the exact same thing. I've been enjoying MBOTF a lot, so much so it's probably my favorite Fantasy series, if not THE favorite. But there are some parts that just don't do it for me at all.

i have 3 brand new shiny books bought today. George RR Martins Song of Ice and Fire books 1 and 2 and Brandon Sandersons Mistborn book 1. have heard good things about both series, George RR Martins works are supposedly amazing, havent heard so much on Sandersons but was definitely influenced by the fact he is finishing the WoT novels. what r peoples opinions on these books.

Sanderon is very good, I quite enjoyed the first Mistborn (I haven't gotten around to 2 & 3 yet). Martin is.. well.. Martin. Personally I liked them though I wouldn't say they're amazing or the best thing since sliced bread.

Finished Midnight Tides this morning. Loving the Malazan books. Have a few more on my shelf but I have a few of the novellas on order and want to read them before I move on. Until then I am going with another Hamilton book, Narcissus In Chains. Brainless vamp fantasy. Not bad but not top shelf either. Just a breather from the heavies until they show up on my doorstep. Speaking of which, Martins newest should show up today. Looking forward to that read.

have read the 1st 250 pages of a Game of Thrones. very slow going for me as ive had it since the 11th have spent too much reading time on here :biggrin:

i like how all the chapters are named after whoevers view-point it is going to b from. have never seen it b4 where this occurs for every chapter. 250 pages isn really enough to make much of a comment on the books as alot of characters have been introduced, tho i thnk if the Imp developes into the character im hoping he will b, he might b a possible candidate for my "All Time Fave Chaacters list"

Edited by Darren heron-Mark Clayden

have read the 1st 250 pages of a Game of Thrones. very slow going for me as ive had it since the 11th have spent too much reading time on here :biggrin:

i like how all the chapters are named after whoevers view-point it is going to b from. have never seen it b4 where this occurs for every chapter. 250 pages isn really enough to make much of a comment on the books as alot of characters have been introduced, tho i thnk if the Imp developes into the character im hoping he will b, he might b a possible candidate for my "All Time Fave Characters list"

Game of Thrones is a really enjoyable read. I bought it yesterday and have to agree it's great, although was originally introduced to the show, which is impressive, to say the least. What's cool about GoT is that there are barely any characters without questionable flaws. They each have their dark moments, so it makes for interesting reads.