DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

Avatar - yes i've finally seen it.  and OMG its a great film.  i can't say the hype was correct, i think the movie was over-hyped; but still it was a great movie :)

it reminded me of "Ferngully" to tell you honestly.  with a bit of "Return of the Jedi" at the end.

Mystery Team - sucked, it was stupid and not even in a dumb funny way.

Youth in Revolt - meh.  the story line was semi interesting, but again, it wasn't worth renting it.

I watched Dear Zachary the other night and was disappointed that I didn't cry.  I did, however, tear up 2 or 3 times.  What a depressing story; it blows my mind that people like Shirley exist and it makes me want to shoot her in the face....and I'm not a very violent person.  As a documentary, 7/10.  As a poignant, depressing tale of real life occurrences made into a documentary, 8/10

I recently watched Dead Snow, a Norwegian comedy/horror film. It was an alright movie with decent gore, and it was amusing to see references to cult classics like 'The Evil Dead' and 'Shaun of the Dead' (two of my faves). It's tagged as a zombie film, but I can't really bring myself to call it that as the Nazi's, yes Nazi's, didn't display any real zombie characteristics other than being undead.

All in all, I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

• 1 month later...

^^ loved that movie. you shoudl try Atonement with keira as well :)

rented a few movies over the weekand. out of them, i've only watched Chloe so far. it has Liam Neeson, Julian Moore & Amanda Seyfried in it. guys might like it cause of the nudity; but it's about what i expected. a modern day Fatal Attraction (not as creepy though) with a slight twist. i wasn't expecting the twist, so i'll give it a 3/5.

Edited by Red2111

went out and saw  Dear John last night with Bubba. cried my little eyes out cause it touched so close to home with having actually dealt with most of that.  brought back alot of memories for both of us, like having to drop him off at the airport when his 15R&R was over, among other things.

the only thing i can't relate to in that movie is her breaking up with him. it really makes me mad that chicks can be so selfish to break up with a guy while he's over in there. i could never understand it and never will. a chick who does that is not only selfish but also a coward.

awe you can't stand being apart from him   >:( . well he's goign through the same thing only he's getting shot at and having to kill to stay alive. trust me you stupid censored.gif, what ever you're going through, he's going through 10 times more  dry.gif

gettting that letter over there is sometimes the only thing keeping those guys sane while their over in that hell hole.  i have no respect or sympathy for any chick that does that. 

Has anyone told you how wonderful you are recently? ;)

Man I have some catching up to do here.

I just watched 9 about those puppets that go on an adventure. It was alright for what it was but nothing I would ever watch again. I will give it a solid 3 out of 5.

I also watched The Town which is basically Heat with Ben Affleck and that guy from the Hurt Locker... oh and Don Draper. For a cops and robbers movie it was very good. I am giving it a 4 out of 5.

I admit I had completely forgotten about The Perfect Getaway but saw it on HBO and kind of liked it. I give it 3 out of 5.

Couples Retreat: I admit I haven't even finished watching this yet. There is line that comedies cross that enters overly cheesy and no longer funny. This movie crossed it. I give it a 2 out of 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking a history of Italian Cinema class this semester, so I've got a few movies to put up.

Roma Citt'Aperta was the first movie of Italian Neorealism. It set the standard for Italian cinema for the next decade. Neorealism is all about real people doing everyday things. The protagonists are just normal people and there are a lot of things that happen in the film for no other reason than they happen in everyday life. For example, you may see the main character pick up his baby son in his house at the beginning of the movie and pay lots of attention to it during that scene. However, you won't see the baby or house again for the rest of the movie. Citt'Aperta was a great movie by Roberto Rossellini and starred a cast of mostly unknowns (a popular trend among Neorealist directors was to cast non-professional actors in their movie and never use them again). Overall, it was a good movie and a great example of Neorealist film. It takes place in Rome during World War II and the main character is a leader of the underground movement. There's a ton of symbolism in the movie (which makes sense considering Italy had just become unoccupied) and it kept me entertained. 7/10

Next came The Bicycle Thieves which I had seen before. I remember loving it the first time I saw it, but this time I didn't like it as much. It's about a man who gets a bicycle for his job and it's stolen the first day of his new job. He spends the rest of the movie trying to track down the thieves and get his bike back. It's an interesting social commentary on Romans and the new identity the Roman people were trying to forge in the wake of WWII. On second viewing, 6.5/10

Riso Amarro was a Neorealist film that also included elements of the traditional Hollywood story. It was a movie about a man and woman who steal a necklace and run into the country where every year, thousands of women migrate for 40 days of backbreaking labour to recieve a measly 40 kilos of rice that would feed them and their family for the remainder of the year. Of course, something goes wrong, the woman falls in love with a different guy, sees the error of her ways, etc. It was a decent movie and it's Hollywood elements made it a lot more familiar than the previous movies. 6.75/10

Big Deal on Madonna Street is easily my favorite movie I've seen in this class. It's a hysterical satire on the traditional heist movie. 5 friends in the Sicilian mob plan to rob a pawn shop, and the usual hijinks occur. The movie was really, really funny though, and add to that the fact that this is pretty much the original satirical heist movie that influenced all the similar movies of successive generations. It had me entertained and laughing throughout (and laughing fit to bust 2 or 3 times). I really, really enjoyed it. 9.5/10

• 2 weeks later...

went out and saw  Dear John last night with Bubba. cried my little eyes out cause it touched so close to home with having actually dealt with most of that.  brought back alot of memories for both of us, like having to drop him off at the airport when his 15R&R was over, among other things.

the only thing i can't relate to in that movie is her breaking up with him. it really makes me mad that chicks can be so selfish to break up with a guy while he's over in there. i could never understand it and never will. a chick who does that is not only selfish but also a coward.

awe you can't stand being apart from him   >:( . well he's goign through the same thing only he's getting shot at and having to kill to stay alive. trust me you stupid censored.gif, what ever you're going through, he's going through 10 times more  dry.gif

gettting that letter over there is sometimes the only thing keeping those guys sane while their over in that hell hole.  i have no respect or sympathy for any chick that does that. 

Has anyone told you how wonderful you are recently? ;)

I TOTALLY AGREE amen wow you are a beautiful person. I also hated that movie

• 2 weeks later...

:blush: thanks Crael & Drekka

okay so we rented movies over the weekand.

How to Train your Dragon i suprisingly liked. Toothless reminded my of my cat (and Stitch from Lelo & Stitch), i seriously think Dreamwork must have used him as a character study for this movie. so that of course made me like the movie that much more :laugh: the story line was kinda cool, it was different for sure. i can't see why their doing a sequel, and i probably wont watch it. still i give it a 7 1/2 out of 10.

Why did i get married TOO didn't expect the movie to end the way it did, and was slightly miffed by it as well. can't say it was as good as the 1st, but i guess it coulda been worse. 5 outta 10.

we're watchign Ironman 2 tonight :happy: yes i have yet to see that movie which got such awesome reviews :ph34r::laugh:

Last night, in honor of Halloween, I watched The Exorcist (1973) for the first time. Now, I'm not a fan of horror movies - as a kid, I was terrified of anything monster/alien/etc. - but recently I've been enjoying some older horror movies (The Shining, Halloween) and I thought I would give The Exorcist a chance. I loved it. It was exactly what I wanted: some spine-chilling moments of terror, slow and beautiful plot pacing, sympathy with the damned, and overall entertainment. Sure, it moved slowly, but that's the style of horror movies (especially older ones) - it's the Hitchcock style of breaking the viewer's expectations and building tension. Sure, there wasn't much character development - the child is nice, but now possessed, her mom is sweet but not naive, Damien is a boxer (which doesn't seem to matter other than as an extraneous plot detail), and Max Von Sydow is the balls, but it was great nonetheless. I really, really enjoyed this movie. It was masterful. 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Bah Kovan... just bah.

I just watched Hereafter. I had tempered my expectations on the film based on some things I have read and even decided to wait till it came to netflix... but needed to get my big screen fix and there was nothing else out worth spending money on. So the wife and I went and... were disappointed. I mean it wasn't the worst thing I have ever seen, but it is very forgetable. I think they skipped some vital time for us to get to know the characters and just jumped right in. Anyway, I would suggest passing on this movie. Damon was the only bright spot in it btw. I think if the movie had focused more on him it would have been better.

I watched a few movies recently.

Divorzia All'Italiana with Marcello Mastroianni and Stefanie Sandrelli. It's pretty well known all over the world (Divorce Italian Style) and I had high expectations going into it. It was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. Marcello Mastroianni is now one of my favorite actors of all time, he is a baller! The movie is about an aristocrat who wants to divorce his wife because she is ugly and annoying as shit, but unfortunately for him, Italy is a very strict Catholic country and divorce is illegal. So he plans to have his wife cheat on him and kill her in a 'crime of passion' which only gets him 3 years in jail. He also wants to marry his cousin. The acting is top notch, and it's a great example of post-neorealist cinema in Italy. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. 6.75/10

La Dolce Vita is a movie I'd always heard about, but never saw. I count myself lucky I'd never seen it before now. It was incredibly long, around 3 hours, and utterly boring. Once again, Marcello Mastroianni stole the show, but even he couldn't stop the movie from sucking. The plot was extremely confusing and long-winded, the people all sucked and it just wasn't enjoyable. I know it changed cinema and was a huge jump forward for cinema at that time (mainly in Italy), but I just could force myself to enjoy it. 5/10.

I just finished watching Kick Ass. I went into it thinking it was gonna be a cheesy comedy. I was SO wrong. This is the best movie I have seen in a long time. Comedy, action, blood and guts, charaters you can relate to, it had everything. I loved this movie and now I have to run out and buy the DVD.

Hit Girl is this shit!