DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

Last night I watched The Ghost Writer and really liked it. Definitely one of MacGregor's best movies in years and a very entertaining political thriller that threw some reversals and shocks I didn't really see coming. It was good enough to make number 5 or 6 on my top 10 of 2010 and I loved the scene at the end where we just watch the papers blow away into the wind. Very cool. 8.75/10

So, the ending, did Macgregor get hit by a CIA car, or was he just unlucky? We will never know!!!!

just watched Social Network and thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was terrific and the direction was nigh-impeccable. Fincher did a fantastic job directing: the flashbacks mixed with the present was artfully done, it was very well-paced, visually sound, and overall very nice. Eisenberg was great (as usual) as were Justin Timberlake and Andrew Garfield (who really, really impressed me). It doesn't have the same replay value as Scott Pilgrim or HtTYD, so I placed it third on my list for 2010. But it definitely deserved to be shortlisted for Best Picture. 9.5/10

Just watched Red Dragon the prequel to the Academy Award-winning Silence of the Lambs. It was a total and complete mindf***! I had forgotten how amazing Anthony Hopkins was in Silence of the Lambs, and I was blown away all over again. Such presence and poise. Simply magnificent. It just reaffirms Hopkins in my mind of great actors. Ed Norton was really good in it too, I gots to give him props there. Also Ralph Fiennes once again gives an extremely solid performance. There's a reason I always expect great things from him. 8.75/10

I also watched Prince of Persia and was surprised when it wasn't as bad as I expected. Gemma Arterton was looking fi-fi-fine. I actually really liked how they played the puzzle sequences with the sorta slow-motion parkour of Gyllenhaal. It's always a pleasure to see Ben Kingsly on screen as well. Good fight scenes, just the right amount of funny, and not too much sarcasm (which I expected from Gyllenhaal. Mike Newell directs with just enough reserve that it doesn't turn into a comedy and neither flirts with the absurd. It's a solid film, albeit not one I'm in a hurry to watch again. 7/10

Watched Daybreakers with Ethan Hawke and Willem Defoe. It was terrible. It started off with an interesting premise (Vampires have taken over the world, but they act just like humans did - go to work, smoke cigarettes, and live normally) but quickly goes downhill with a stupid action plot. They discover a way to cure vampirism which is ludicrous and doesn't even make sense, nor did they explain it. I was very disappointed. 5/10

I just went to a doco festival and saw Precious Life

It was really good. here is the trailer and bio

http://www.documentaryedge.org.nz/2011/ak/film/precious-life

I really liked it and it was good because it was quiet and let you make up your own mind. Never in your face.

8.5/10 (Its a bit heavy and I was feeling sick at the end, nothing to do with the film, thats why it isnt higher rated)

hmmm,

Recently watched IP Man, if you're a martial arts fan, it's a great flick, on netflix.

Red was also a great movie for pretty much anyone.

Want to see Unstoppable, anyone seen it give a review?

Prince of Persia, it was "meh" at best to me. Seems they tried to sell it on graphics, the accent Jake Gyllenhall(sp?) used made my ears hurt.