DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

Just watched Slumdog Millionaire! This movie has had such an impact on me and my perspective. Along with reading Shantaram which is a book about life in Bombay, these two classics have changed my total view on India and I wish there was something I could do to help. But then again, life in the slum creates a bond between people thats stronger then anything I've ever come across and the way the book and this awesome movie show it would kill me to break. What an amazing piece of work.. I should've watched it ages ago! Thanks!

Yeah, Slumdog is an excellent movie. Danny Boyle outdid himself.

Today I watched Il Divo which is a film by Italian director Paolo Sorrentino, a relatively recent director who crafted his masterpiece in this film. I'm telling you, I was absolutely blown away by this film. I know next to nothing about Italian politics (which is what this movie is entirely about), but that didn't matter. Despite my confusion with the large amount of names thrown around, it wasn't enough to distract from the pure, unadulterated beauty of this film. It's very obvious that Guy Ritchie has influenced Sorrentino; the opening credits of Il Divo easily numbers among my top 10 favorite openings ever. Sorrentino masterfully uses lighting to create the perfect atmosphere: tense, ranting, silent, simple, anger, whatever emotion or image Sorrentino wants to convey, he does so. A lot of times with this film, it's what goes unsaid that hit me the most. I would highly recommend this. It's damn good. 9.5/10

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Valhalla Rising with Mads Mikkelsen last night. It was completely and utterly unlike anything I've ever seen before and completely different from what I expected. The reviews I read all focused on the intense fighting and disgustingly gory/bloody aspect of the film. What I was completely unprepared for was the intense lack of dialogue (less than 100 lines in the entire movie), the weird and almost surreal filming style, the noticeable lack of a logical plot, the sweeping/creepy/pensive cinematography, the commentary (without words) on nature, violence, and humanity, and the lack of music. Basically the story follows a warrior named One-Eye (Mikkelson) who is kept for years in slavery (although we have no idea how long it's been) and finally wins free. From there he meets crusaders and goes to the Holy Land (for no apparent reason), but the boat gets lost and they find themselves in the New World (which the viewer kind of has to guess) and are attacked by "ghosts". The film ends unexpectedly

I didn't think One-Eye would just let them kill him, I figured I was about to see some effing epic battle scene

and overall I was left feeling confused, slightly sickened, and mad that I obviously didn't fully understand everything this film had to offer. Mostly I was frustrated that I didn't pay better attention and pick up on everything the director was laying down. It was an interesting sensation; here was a movie that most people would hate because it's slow as molasses and basically nothing happens, but I was never bored and I will probably watch it again more carefully. It was beautiful in a weird, weird, weird way and definitely stuck with me. At the end it was one of those "WTF did I just watch" moments.

In the end, I'm going to agree with the critics that called this movie

"It's a chilly, often slow, uncompromisingly harsh film, but Refn's images will sear your retinas"

"Mesmerizing ... A trippy nightmare of savage poetry burning slow across bleak and otherworldly landscapes."

"To dismiss Refn's repetitive approach as tedious would miss the poetic undulations of his elegantly minimalist exercise."

and

"I appreciate Refn for pushing against conventions of rhythm, photography, subject, color, and form, and I don't mind that Valhalla Rising lacks a story so much as I question its reliance on enigmatic hints of some grand, over-arching abstraction."

The dream/vision sequences threw me off a little bit; I kind of figured he could see the future, but the shots of him just staring and in a red filter were crazy.

I wanted more fighting because the little there was was epic.

I literally couldn't figure out the setting and who was from what country

Why the hell would One-Eye go to the Holy Land? Did he just not have anything better to do? He obviously wanted revenge, but once he got it he didn't seem to have the need to just kill everyone in sight. So what's his deal?

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE LITTLE BOY?

The lack of music and dialogue really threw me off.

ooh this thread! I have to update.

Ok i watched Kill Bill volume 2 last night. I think I was too tired cos it was like 1 in the morning and I seem to remember 1 being better. Ill rewatch it before I give it a rating.

I watched how to train your dragon again. Thats just one of the best films ever

I also saw something my sister rented called Wedding Daze. The whole movie was very bad and terrible but the lead actress (the red head) was cute so I stayed and watched.

When I remember the rest ill post them

Just watched Legion and I actually really liked it. It was exactly the gun slinging, demon killing, angel fighting movie I was hoping for. I found it really interesting to hear this new version of Christian lore, where God has grown tired of humanity for the second time (flood came the first time) and sent his angels to destroy the one baby that can save humanity. The angel Michael decides to disobey God's order to kill the child and protects it instead. Of course it's very cheesy and there are some ridiculous situations (such as a granny walking on the ceiling), but I didn't mind because it was awesome! Great fighting action, decent lines, a cool story (at least for me), and Paul Bettany. 6.75/10

Guest BaLefireP

I just watched HP and the deathly hallows with my sweetie.

I liked it although I am kinda peeved that they left HP off the movie poster and put Hermione(sp?) on it instead.

In the last few days I watched: Prince of Persia (awesome), The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy ( :laugh:!), How To Train Your Dragon (also :laugh:!). Now I'm gonna go to VideoEzy and grab loads of movies for a movie marathon tonight!!!!!!

*throws confeti and popcorn*

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! (for later. It's New Year's Eve right now...) :happy:

I watched The A-Team last night and was disappointed. None of the cast was believable (except for Sharlto Copley as Murdock) and Quentin 'Rampage' Jackson was particularly lame as Mr. T. I normally love Liam Neeson, but not this time. The plot was a basic rehash of the cliched 'you burned us and we're out for revenge' action plot. The few funny parts came curtesy of Copley and even Jessica Biel wasn't as attractive as I remembered. 5/10

I also watched Easy A with Emma Stone and Dan Byrd mainly because my sister bought it On-Demand and I was curious. It turned out to be pretty funny and had me laughing hilariously a few times. Stanley Tucci is the man and does a great job as a free-spirited dad. Stone was fantastic and I can definitely see her as solid leading lady in the future. It was funny, and while it owes a lot to other 80's movies (and quoted from them quite often in a reverent tone) it was a very solid teen comedy in the same spirit. I really enjoyed it and felt like I was young again. 8/10

The last film I saw was Wall-E and I thought it was great! Easy to understand the plot which would make it great for children, stunning graphics for big folk to appreciate and we can all laugh at people who have forgotten how to walk... I really liked it. :) Still need to see Up, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Burlesque. I liked it and thought the songs were great but listening to them without the dancing they aren't as great so I wonder if the dancers clouded my judgement on the overall rating of the movie. It was defiantly a good watch though. As for the reason I'm still unsure lol

I watched The Other Guys tonight and have mixed feelings about it. I basically liked 70% of the movie, and didn't like the rest. I loved the whole running TLC gag with the Police Chief, I loved that Will Ferrell got all the hot mamas, I really liked how Ferrell and Mendes made her grandma go back and forth and relate each other's sexually explicit messages, I absolutely loved the wooden gun gag (especially when the Chief hands it back and it's been stained), Derek Jeter was pretty funny, and so on. What I really didn't like was the whole "Gator" thing with Ferrell's character, and Wahlberg's character was a complete douche. The whole "I only did it so I could make fun of the nerds who did it" thing was mediocre at best. The partnership reunited felt fake...in fact they didn't even seem like partners. The whole lion and the tuna scene was probably my favorite part. It made me laugh, but I didn't love it. 6/10

I just got back from Black Swan.

I really liked it. It was good to see Darren's DoP back and the film is lit really beautifully. The ending was pretty obvious but it was ok cos the story behind it and the lead up made it interesting and to stay true to the film it had to end that way. Natalie Portman was amazing and deserves every ounce of praise she is getting. The stuff with mirrors was so well done and the music is still haunting me

• 2 weeks later...

Im gunna try watch a movie every night now that im at film school so ill post here and say what ive been watching

I saw Catfish yesterday. Its a really good doco and if you get the chance watch it. Im not gunna say what it's about cos that could spoil it but i give it 9/10

Next was Get him to the Greek It was a good laugh 7/10

I also watched Perfume; story of a murderer Great visuals and an interesting story. I liked how they did him smelling things. I wish the main guy talked a bit more 8/10

So The Beach. Good film, better book. The film changed most of the book but if you think of them separately it was a great film. I think Leonardo wasn't at his best actually but i still enjoyed it. 8/10

I just watched Dinner with Schmucks over the weekend. Other than a few (very few) funny points in the movie, I felt this was terrible. Basically take that feeling you get from watcing the office... and Michael Scott... you know that feeling when you cringe when he does something awkward and apply it over a whole movie. Oh... and smash in a bad plot. Saving graces were Jermaine Clement and other guy from the hangover.

Good to know, I'll keep away from it.

I watched Ip Man the other night. It was a baller martial arts movie that gave me my fill of awesomely choreographed fight scenes (mostly unarmed), humor, and a pretty decent plot for a Hong Kong action flick. Donnie Chen played Ip Man, the worlds first teacher of Wing Shun. With the advent of World War 2, China is invaded by Japan and Ip Man is forced into poverty and fights to save his family and countryment. It's based on the true story (Ip Man is a real person and is famous for being the first master of Bruce Lee). It was great and entertaining. 9/10