DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Red2111

• 5 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, imlad said:

I have been following all of the CW/DC shows, as well as Riverdale (it is soooo terribly bad I can't look away!), Nancy Drew, Supernatural and Legacies. Also enjoying Watchmen (depsite never reading the comic/graphic novel, and really disliking the movie) and totally loving His Dark Materials (went into this essentially a virgin to the story).

On His Dark Materials - I still love the casting done in the movie (Golden Compass). I just can't get over the bad casting choices done in the TV series - especially Lyra. Her weird attitude ruined it for me. Instead of coming off as a strong and adventurous young girl, she comes off as very arrogant and cold.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Merena said:

Has anyone seen Shadow and Bone? I thought it was a pretty good take on the books. Utilized the main characters from multiple series, with a slightly different story.

I'm about half way? Through it now

Spoiler

(she just escaped)

I'm enjoying it, and I've never read the books.

• 3 months later...

I am a fan of the Neon Genesis: Evangelion tv series and had been watching the Rebuild movies as they came out.

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone and Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance were quite good, but not as enjoyable as the series.

To my surprise, the 4th movie was released the other week and I had completely missed the 3rd, so I went back to watch Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo.

It was an utter, incomprehensible waste of time.  I thought perhaps I had missed something important which would make sense of the messy soulless plot line but after reading synopsis and other reviews, it seems this was just a cash-in on the name with cardboard cutouts of popular characters uttering a couple of lines in the entire movie.

I am not going to bother with the 4th movie.  I will go back to the tv series and forget the Rebuild exists.

Vinland Saga on Amazon Prime.  I really enjoyed it and I guess I'm fine if it ends where it did but I would like to get a second season as it seems very abrupt.  Considering the theme of the story it makes sense but if this is how it ends it's not going on the re-watch list.

We are watching a few series at the moment. We just finished Breaking Bad (yes, okay, we don't keep up. But we watched it now. We can now get on to Better Call Saul.) And we are watching The Expanse, which is really the best scifi show out there right now. It's the BSG reimagined of its time. Of course we find time to watch some Star Trek, be it old episodes or Lower Decks at the moment. We are also catching up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and House (we're kinda ecclectic?). And Saturdays is for nostalgia, so we watch Blake's 7. First time for my guy, I have already seen all of it. But I was 11 at the time.

But the thing we really can't stop watching, second time for me again, is The Blacklist. It's not that the stories are so good and well crafted: they are not. But James Spader is just so good to watch. I could not tell you what the episode is about, but I could tell you the anecdote that Red has told, simply because Spader just captures your attention.

Also, it is the one series I can't spoiler to my guy, because I still have no clue what is going on.

• 2 years later...

One Piece (live action) was surprisingly enjoyable to me.  I haven't read the mangas or seen the animated series, though I had heard much chatter from fans that live action couldn't possibly do the story justice.

It was a fun frolic and I came to care about that shabby little crew and look forward to the enemy of the day.  I may even start reading it one day...

• 1 month later...