DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Have you not read all the books yet??  :-\

I think he means can a woman bond a man, and then can that man bond that woman, and vice a versa.

I don't think we've seen that yet, but I would assume so.

Yeah...That's what I meant...Wasn't I clear about that ???

Where does the Common language come from ? It seems unlikely (irrealistic), given the lack of linguistic link between the Old Tongue and Common, that the new one evolved from the old one so as to be unrecognisable.

i think that the common tongue is very much like the old tongue, it's just this series had to be written in english ;)

I know that for obvious reading smoothness everybody has to speak the same language, but that's something that's always bugged me from the very beginning. How come in this whole world, supposedly as vast as our real world, has there ever been only 1 single language for all the peoples. I mean, come on, even in 1 country alon you have so many dialects, and there would be the same language, albeit slightly different accents, on the whole world of WoT including across one huge ocean?

I can't buy it. RJ must have thought about this being illogical given all that he's been thinking through.

Is there any reason to that, 1 language for all, aside of making the story easier to write?

Besides, I have 1 other thought, who the hell is Jack-o the Shadow which is referenced in the song?

Could it be an important character? Or only a metaphore of death?

The only ones that trouble me are the Aiel. The Westlands did have near different languages by Hawkwings time, but he actively unified them. Even so there is drift and dialect differences. Luthair did the same in Seanchan, and the Atha'an Miere have enough contact to explain them taking on the new dialect, and based on the way the Sharan struggles in KoD it seems clear they have a different language.

The Aiel though--I would have said they didn't have enough contact to adopt the Westlands dialect. For instance, why would they adopt that one, but not the Sharan one?

Could anyone tell me in what book & chapter (if known) was it that Tuon and (Semi) her first Truth Speaker were talking about collaring Rand?

Tuon doesn't know about the Domination Band IIRC.

I disagree:

Tuon nodded. She herself was not sure at all. That sort of sureness could lead to the Tower of the Ravens even for her. Perhaps especially for her. "I must find a way to make contact with the Dragon Reborn as soon as possible. He must kneel before the Crystal Throne before Tarmon Gai'don, or all is lost." The Prophecies of the Dragon said so, clearly.

Anath's mood changed in a flash. Smiling, she laid a hand on Tuon's shoulder almost possessively. That was going too far, but she was Soe'feia, and the feel of ownership might have been only in Tuon's mind. "You must be careful," Anath purred. "You must not let him learn how dangerous you are to him until it is too late for him to escape."

It reads to me like the original plan was for Tuon to leash Rand.

Meaning, I think that it requires women channelers.

Oh, I don't see any reason to assume a sul'dam wouldn't be able to use one.

How come in this whole world, supposedly as vast as our real world, has there ever been only 1 single language for all the peoples.

That's because the entire world was united in the Age of Legends for over a millennia, so all languages have merged into a single spoken tongue. Nowadays, different dialects have started to appear again (we have mentions of accents), but the world still pretty much speaks the same language.

Besides, I have 1 other thought, who the hell is Jack-o the Shadow which is referenced in the song?

It's another name of DO, like Caisen Hob, I think. Or maybe just Death. I'm not sure why I think that.

Could anyone tell me in what book & chapter (if known) was it that Tuon and (Semi) her first Truth Speaker were talking about collaring Rand?

I don't have the book around, but I remembered the phrase "how dangerous you are to him", and Ideal Seek says it's WH Chapter 14.

I don't have the book around, but I remembered the phrase "how dangerous you are to him", and Ideal Seek says it's WH Chapter 14.

:) It's so nice knowing people take my posts seriously

Thank you all for the reply!    "how dangerous you are to him" sure implies something.    Now I have to go back to find that place Morgy was talking / thinking about the bands whay back before she was captured.

Rand still has the two bands from when Semi was killed.      Humm!    I wounder what would happen if 4 women were wearing bands while he was wearing the collar?

I know that for obvious reading smoothness everybody has to speak the same language, but that's something that's always bugged me from the very beginning. How come in this whole world, supposedly as vast as our real world, has there ever been only 1 single language for all the peoples. I mean, come on, even in 1 country alon you have so many dialects, and there would be the same language, albeit slightly different accents, on the whole world of WoT including across one huge ocean?

I can't buy it. RJ must have thought about this being illogical given all that he's been thinking through.

Is there any reason to that, 1 language for all, aside of making the story easier to write?

I think the reason that there is one language is because in the AoL everyone spoke one language because it seemed to be a completely globalized world at that point - meaning the whole world was essentially one government, one culture, and one language, because they were very technologically advanced. This let them be able to communicate instantaneously across the world (some of the cell-phone like ter'angreal) and they could travel quickly around the world (via flying machines and through actual Traveling). So for the AoL it makes sense to have one language.

So when you think about the Third Age, your starting point is for everyone to have the same language. Now, in the intervening time language would probably drift some, and it seems to have a bit in WoT in the fact that people have developed accents and stuff (the Seanchan, Illianers, Taraboners, etc.). The reason that the Seanchan speak the same common language despite being on another continent is because they started out in Randland and then went over in Hawkwing's time - so they haven't been separated that long - the people they conquered when they arrived in Seanchan may have still been speaking the Old Tongue or another language, but we don't know. For all we know, they might speak something else in Shara - though they do seem to have had contact with merchants through the Sea Folk, so at least some of them must know the common language so they can trade.

EDIT: Ok, I should have read you other guys posts better, because I think you already said the same thing. Sorry.

But I do still wonder if they speak the common language in Shara, and if they do, why? How did it end up evolving from the Old Tongue in the same way there, when they are so decidedly isolationist and xenophobic?

Why don't the Forsaken grab the Horn of Valere?  Neither Siuan nor Verin knew all that much about the Dream World when they hid it in the Tower so it's not like there's any kind of Dream World shielding around it, so I assume that they can just use the need thing to pop over and find it - or if that's too dangerous for them to do personally, just yank one of the Black Ajah into the Dream World and let them do it - and then hide it up at Shayol Ghul so that Mat can't use it to mow through their armies on the way there.

They obviously faced the thing back in the AoL since the Aes Sedai of the time had it, so they know what a potent superweapon it is, so removing it from the field of play would seem like a sensible Day One activity.

Why don't the Forsaken grab the Horn of Valere?  Neither Siuan nor Verin knew all that much about the Dream World when they hid it in the Tower so it's not like there's any kind of Dream World shielding around it, so I assume that they can just use the need thing to pop over and find it - or if that's too dangerous for them to do personally, just yank one of the Black Ajah into the Dream World and let them do it - and then hide it up at Shayol Ghul so that Mat can't use it to mow through their armies on the way there.

They obviously faced the thing back in the AoL since the Aes Sedai of the time had it, so they know what a potent superweapon it is, so removing it from the field of play would seem like a sensible Day One activity.

According to the TOR website it wasnt used in the AOL at all actually; it was from a previous age and was only known in much the same way everyone knows about it now; through legend. No one ever really thought to use it because its power was considered a myth and they had better things to do. Its only through Foretelling that it was placed where it was.

Not to mention, the Horn of Valere is apparently not mentioned in the Karatheon Cycle. And due to Be`lal going after Callandor and whatnot, it does seem that at least some of the Forsaken pay attention to the prophecies.

As for the language thing, its illogical that in a land so splintered by chaos and mayhem for such a long period of time there wouldnt be different languages. I just throw it up to the Pattern weaving it that way and leave it at that :P

According to the TOR website it wasnt used in the AOL at all actually; it was from a previous age and was only known in much the same way everyone knows about it now; through legend. No one ever really thought to use it because its power was considered a myth and they had better things to do. Its only through Foretelling that it was placed where it was.

Not to mention, the Horn of Valere is apparently not mentioned in the Karatheon Cycle. And due to Be`lal going after Callandor and whatnot, it does seem that at least some of the Forsaken pay attention to the prophecies.

OK, they do know about it now, though.  Why not get rid of it before Mat can blow it?

Just read a post on darkfriends being in Mat or Perrins army and someone posted about Semi making the comment to Moridin on how the information would've been useful earlier.  Now, we all know that Rand, Mat and Perrin are ta'veren and the forsaken should know, could Moridin's connection with Rand have something to do with his desire to finally give the order to kill Mat and Perrin to the other forsaken?  Also, one of the forsaken tell Moridin that ta'veren aren't that easy to find, but Moridin just gets mad and says just kill them, could the connection be strong enough that he knows where Mat and Perrin are or at least is seeing them like Rand?  Sorry if this was answered earlier.

Just read a post on darkfriends being in Mat or Perrins army and someone posted about Semi making the comment to Moridin on how the information would've been useful earlier.  Now, we all know that Rand, Mat and Perrin are ta'veren and the forsaken should know, could Moridin's connection with Rand have something to do with his desire to finally give the order to kill Mat and Perrin to the other forsaken?  Also, one of the forsaken tell Moridin that ta'veren aren't that easy to find, but Moridin just gets mad and says just kill them, could the connection be strong enough that he knows where Mat and Perrin are or at least is seeing them like Rand?  Sorry if this was answered earlier.

I believe it's been stated by BS or RJ that the link is from Rand and Moridin ccrossing Bale fire at Shadar Logoth...

i could be wrong though....can't remember who, where or when....

I think the reason that there is one language is because in the AoL everyone spoke one language because it seemed to be a completely globalized world at that point - meaning the whole world was essentially one government, one culture, and one language, because they were very technologically advanced. This let them be able to communicate instantaneously across the world (some of the cell-phone like ter'angreal) and they could travel quickly around the world (via flying machines and through actual Traveling). So for the AoL it makes sense to have one language.

So when you think about the Third Age, your starting point is for everyone to have the same language. Now, in the intervening time language would probably drift some, and it seems to have a bit in WoT in the fact that people have developed accents and stuff (the Seanchan, Illianers, Taraboners, etc.). The reason that the Seanchan speak the same common language despite being on another continent is because they started out in Randland and then went over in Hawkwing's time - so they haven't been separated that long - the people they conquered when they arrived in Seanchan may have still been speaking the Old Tongue or another language, but we don't know. For all we know, they might speak something else in Shara - though they do seem to have had contact with merchants through the Sea Folk, so at least some of them must know the common language so they can trade.

EDIT: Ok, I should have read you other guys posts better, because I think you already said the same thing. Sorry.

But I do still wonder if they speak the common language in Shara, and if they do, why? How did it end up evolving from the Old Tongue in the same way there, when they are so decidedly isolationist and xenophobic?

Where does The old Tongue come from?

Manetheren spoke the OT ... but it didn't originate from there since all the Chosen have names in the OT, Aiel sept names are OT ...... ???

Maybe they speak a different language in Shara.

About Mat and his link to the Horn.

My brother asked a question I thought deserved a post here

Mat is linked to the HoV, does this link prolong his life?

Why would it?

I'm just asking...

It's a valid question.  What about the Horn would cause the blower to get an extended lifespan?

I don't think they do. In KoD we see a Sharan struggle to find words.