DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Funeral reading recommendation?

rsandos

Hi all, 

I hope this is okay to ask. My husband was a huge WOT fan. The whole time I've known him he would just read the series, finish it and then pick it up and start again. He died on the 9th of December and I would love to find an excerpt that I could have read out at the funeral, maybe something about love, or death, or just a significant passage. I've only read one of the books myself (now he's gone I will be reading them all pretty non stop I imagine) but if anyone has any recommendations or passages they think are appropriate please let me know! I want the funeral to be about him, and he loved this series so much. 

Found this - actually a battle song, but poignant all the same.  Could fit?  The Aiel warriors would sing this preceding battle:

Wash the spears - while the sun climbs high.
Wash the spears - while the sun falls low.
Wash the spears - Who fears to die?
Wash the spears - No one I know!
Wash the spears - while life holds true.
Wash the spears - until life ends.
Wash the spears - Life is a dream.
Wash the spears - All dreams must end.
Wash the spears - till shade is gone
Wash the spears - till water turns dry.
Wash the spears - How long from home?
Wash the spears - Until I die!
Wash the spears - till sun grows cold.
Wash the spears - till water runs free.
Wash the spears...
Wash the spears - while I breathe.
Wash the spears - my steel is bright.
Wash the spears...

There's that poem Lan recites in The Eye Of The World, at Fal Dara:

The rose petal floats on water

The kingfisher flashes above the pond

Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death.

Then there's Moiraine's (belated) eulogy of Aemon and Eldrene:

"Their King was Aemon al Caar al Thorin, Aemon son of Caar son of Thorin, and Eldrene ay Ellan ay Carlan was his Queen. Aemon, a man so fearless that the greatest compliment for courage any could give, even among his enemies, was to say a man had Aemon's heart. Eldrene, so beautiful that it was said the flowers bloomed to make her smile. Bravery and beauty and wisdom and a love that death couId not sunder. Weep, if you have a heart, for the loss of them, for the loss of even their memory. Weep, for the loss of their blood."

Those jumped out at me at first thought, but I'm sure there are others you might think more suitable.

Edited by Kalessin
spelling

I've found this one online and I think it seems quite fitting, if anyone has any thoughts? I went to visit him in the Chapel of rest today and finished reading book 8 to him, he was 96% through. I'm glad I got to read the end to him. 

The Wheel has turned, for better or worse. And it will keep on turning, as lights die and forests dim, storms call and skies break. Turn it will. The Wheel is not hope, and the Wheel does not care, the Wheel simply is. But so long as it turns, folk may hope, folk may care. For with light that fades, another will eventually grow, and each storm that rages must eventually die. As long as the Wheel turns.

His death was quite unexpected and a lot of us are asking questions of why him or what if, so this seems quite appropriate. Not sure. 

7 hours ago, rsandos said:

'He came like the wind, like the wind touched everything, and like the wind was gone.'

This one? 

I wish I were at home and able to check my copy, but this is a beautiful quote and very fitting.
I'd be proud to have this said about me at my memorial service.

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 10:58 AM, rsandos said:

Hi all, 

I hope this is okay to ask. My husband was a huge WOT fan. The whole time I've known him he would just read the series, finish it and then pick it up and start again. He died on the 9th of December and I would love to find an excerpt that I could have read out at the funeral, maybe something about love, or death, or just a significant passage. I've only read one of the books myself (now he's gone I will be reading them all pretty non stop I imagine) but if anyone has any recommendations or passages they think are appropriate please let me know! I want the funeral to be about him, and he loved this series so much. 

My sincerest condolences. 

Perhaps this may be more suitable?

It is a Shienaran tradition to bury their dead naked, without a burial shroud or coffin. This burial is called the last embrace of the mother.  

“May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home.”

Or the Aiel saying regarding death may also be suitable:

'Life is a dream from which we all must wake.'

If these don't suffice, I wish you the best in finding something that sings in your heart. 🙂

Edited by WheelofJuke
Just noticed the older date to this thread. Hope everything went well!

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing someone close to you is never easy, and I can only imagine how tough it must be for you right now. Regarding your question, I think it's a great idea to incorporate your husband's love for the Wheel of Time series into his funeral. Although I'm not familiar with the series myself, I did some research and found a few quotes that might be fitting: - "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain." - "The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills." - "Love is the greatest gift that one generation can leave another." But honestly, feel free to choose any quote or passage that feels right to you. By the way, have you thought of creating a Memorial? Just a thought. Once again, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Edited by HayleeKelly

• 3 weeks later...

Losing someone we love is incredibly difficult, and my heart goes out to you during this challenging time. While I can't recommend a specific passage from the Wheel of Time series, I can understand the significance it held for your husband. It's a beautiful idea to include something from his favorite series at the funeral as a tribute to him.As I was browsing online, trying to find some information about death and funerals, I came across your post. It resonated with me because I recently lost my dad, and I've been going through a similar process of planning a funeral. It's a time when we want to honor and celebrate the person we've lost. Also, while searching online, I came across some flat grave marker designs, and I'm thinking that it might be an option. What do you think?

Edited by KarlaRoeser

20 hours ago, KarlaRoeser said:

Losing someone we love is incredibly difficult, and my heart goes out to you during this challenging time. While I can't recommend a specific passage from the Wheel of Time series, I can understand the significance it held for your husband. It's a beautiful idea to include something from his favorite series at the funeral as a tribute to him.As I was browsing online, trying to find some information about death and funerals, I came across your post. It resonated with me because I recently lost my dad, and I've been going through a similar process of planning a funeral. It's a time when we want to honor and celebrate the person we've lost. Also, while searching online, I came across some flat grave marker designs, and I'm thinking that it might be an option. What do you think?

I wanted to extend my empathy and compassion on the loss of your dad. I recently lost my dad and it was very therapeutic to have a celebration of his life rather than a traditional memorial or funeral. We waited 3 months after he died so we could take our time planning and processing and preparing to celebrate more than grieve. My heart goes out to you and the original poster.