DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I'm not sure if it was here or some place else, but I seem to recall people saying there are seven Ages in the WoT universe.

Had RJ stated that there are seven Ages, or where does this come from?

RJ said it, although it's possible that it was stated in the books as well.

There is one reference somewhere to the fact that Suian started having periods again after she was Stilled, along wiht losing Agelessness.

Can you quote this?

Hey boss, how are things? Red's post made me drop in here, and I caught this. I think we actually talked about this once. If I'm not mistaken, this is it:

Leane, on the other hand, in true Aes Sedai fashion embraced what had changed. A young woman again— Egwene had overheard a Yellow exclaiming in wonder that both were prime childbearing age, by everything she could find—she might never have been Keeper, never have had any other face.

Hey Yoni, yeah I'm good. You? Hope things are running a little less hectic for you now.

I don't remember talking about this before, lol. But yeah that doesn't actually mean their menstruation cycle had stopped and resumed--'prime childbearing age' refers to a variety of physical elements that speak to a womans ability to safely bear children, not just fertility.

In effect, such comments are more about whether the woman can survive having children then just about whether they can have just.

There is one reference somewhere to the fact that Suian started having periods again after she was Stilled, along wiht losing Agelessness.

Can you quote this?

Hey boss, how are things? Red's post made me drop in here, and I caught this. I think we actually talked about this once. If I'm not mistaken, this is it:

Leane, on the other hand, in true Aes Sedai fashion embraced what had changed. A young woman again— Egwene had overheard a Yellow exclaiming in wonder that both were prime childbearing age, by everything she could find—she might never have been Keeper, never have had any other face.

Hey Yoni, yeah I'm good. You? Hope things are running a little less hectic for you now.

I don't remember talking about this before, lol. But yeah that doesn't actually mean their menstruation cycle had stopped and resumed--'prime childbearing age' refers to a variety of physical elements that speak to a womans ability to safely bear children, not just fertility.

In effect, such comments are more about whether the woman can survive having children then just about whether they can have just.

Yonii had the exact reference - remember discussing it with him.

I found it a bit strange too

Hello, long time lurker, first post:

So, what has been bothering for some time is Herid Fel, when talking to Rand in LoC about the seals, he says:

LoC, chapter 18

"No, it [the DO's prison] was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more".

Why should the DO's prison be whole again in the Third Age? Shouldn't it rather be the Age of Legends?

I guess this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any posts on it.

Possible answers: mistake from RJ (if so, it would likely have been corrected in later printings), mistake from Fel, the AoL is part of the Third Age (note that it is never referenced as the Second Age, not ir the "Age Before the Age of Legends ever called the First). Pick whichever answer you prefer.

Hey Mr. Ares, thanks for your answer!

My copy is a reprint from the 1995 LoC edition, so I don't know if it has been corrected in later editions? And in the Glossary, it's stated: "Age of Legends: Age ended by the War of Shadow and the Breaking of the World". The name "Third Age" clearly implies that there were two other Ages before, and IMHO it wouldn't make any sense for Herid Fel (as a scholar and as someone clearly familiar with the concept of the Wheel and Ages) to refer to the current Age as the Third Age without knowing the names of the two ages that came before the Third Age. I mean, there has to be a reason why it's called the Third Age!

Checking the errata, I don't see an update for that chapter. As for two Ages before, time is cyclical. There were many Ages before. "Third" is probably just an arbitrary designation (note the books do say "called the Third Age by some"), and Fel evens wonders if it will be known as the Thrid Age next time it comes around. The belief that an Age has changed is not necessarily accurate. People might believe an Age has changed while philosophers are of a different opinion. Without knowing the conditions of the changing of an Age, we cannot know if they have been met in this instance, nor can we know if the people have any way to know. The glossaries are written by Harriet, not RJ, and he didn't share everything with her, so she might have written that in in error (and there have been mistakes in glossaries before (there was one in LoC). As it stands, Fel's statement is somewhat odd and without a proper explanation from Team Jordan. So either he was mistaken (and Rand let it slide because he didn't want to sidetrack him), or the AoL is merely the first half of the Third Age, not a separate Age in its own right.

Perrin's Ashamen learned linking in Towers of Midnight. How come no one in Perrin's camp thought of it earlier (or had not mentioned it if they did)?

Probably because travelling was not really an issue until the Ashaman exhausted themselves to defeat the Shaido.

On the cover of FoH: Rhuidean, or Caemlyn?

I used to think Rhuidean, but now I'm all yeah, trollocs, the three persons on the cover, golden domed buildings; Caemlyn for sure.

Et TTUUUUuuuuu?

Caemlyn, heading in to do battle with Rahvin...I too thought it was Rhuidean for a long time.

Perrin's Ashamen learned linking in Towers of Midnight. How come no one in Perrin's camp thought of it earlier (or had not mentioned it if they did)?

Plot device. Perrin had to be kept from contacting the others. Yes, rather a plothole...

Plot device. Perrin had to be kept from contacting the others. Yes, rather a plothole...

Not really. Why would they have needed to link to contact others? It's not like the Wise One's or Aes Sedai could have learned how to travel from the Ashaman anyway.

Edited by Master Ablar

Not really. Why would they have needed to link to contact others? It's not like the Wise One's or Aes Sedai could have learned how to travel from the Ashaman anyway.

In fact, after Faile was taken, Perrin had every reason not to stay in contact with Rand in any way. Their cover story was they were mad at each other, but Perrin kinda changed the "secret" plans as soon as Faile went missing and he got out of the wolf dream. I don't see Perrin wanting to pass on the fact that he was completely off the reservation in regards to what Rand sent him there for...

~~EDIT for past and present tense trouble.

Edited by Dreggs Morlock

seeing as how the male source was only cleansed a week or so before the attack on malden, i seriously doubt that the women were in any hurry to volunteer the idea. and as a non channeler while perrin was aware that in the age of legends men and women worked together in the power, he would have had no clue how it worked, or if it could work without training, or even know that it would help on gateways. its no plothole, it is a proposition that likely hadn't happened often since the creation of the eye.

Fully agree with Testy. I'd imagine if anyone had suggested it the WO's would've been horrified. As it was I'm sure there were plenty of furious off-screen discussions where the Asha'men had to convince the women the taint was gone.

Directly after Malden there was no bloody good reason other than plot expediency to stop Grady popping of to Tear on his own to round up a few helpers. Thank God that whole interminable section of story is finally over and Perrin's found his mojo.

Edited by aunt_pol

Not sure if this has been asked yet. But does anyone think its possible for perrin and rand to make a hand of onyx with the OP and attach it to rands stump. It would complete that prophecy

Which prophecy?

Fish

It wasn't a prophecy, it was a Viewing by Min in ToM51: 'Callandor, being gripped in a black hand'. Min said to Rand that 'the hand looks to be made of onyx'.

It could be a prosthesis of some kind.

Edited by FarShainMael

Not sure if this has been asked yet. But does anyone think its possible for perrin and rand to make a hand of onyx with the OP and attach it to rands stump. It would complete that prophecy

in my opinion this goes with the callandor bit that min dug up about the user of callandor at shayol ghul, the "all he is can be seized" bit.

I think that the hand is the DO seizing rands soul, but alas it will do nothing for the DO since Rand will be linked with two women and one of the women will have control of the circle

Rand's balefire on Elza; what did Elza's Warder sense through the bond and what was the reaction?

GOOD question!! Unfortunately, Jordan is not here to answer the question for us, but Sanderson might know. Anyone with access availible to ask him? I doubt this is a RAFO topic.

On top of that, this would make for a great deal of discussion here depending on the answer...