DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

It was hinted at my Moridin in aMoL, then nearly said straight out by Shaidar Haran, and finally it was stated in the glossary.
Wait...you read aMoL already?! That's totally not fair. :myrddraal:
I guess the poster means Towers of Midnight.

What was to be Memory of Light has been splitted into 3 books. 2 of those parts have been released; Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight. The 3rd part will be named Memory of Light.

I think Moridin does Travel using TP in ACoS or TPoD onscreen
Crown of Swords; last chapter.

Yeah, my mistake. I meant Towers of Midnight obviously.

Is there another example throughout the series? O_o

I don't think so, no. But We haven't really seen the True Power used much in the first place.

Then I dispute this claim!

I think it was because he was "trapped" already.

Well, I'm afraid RJ's the one who said it was TP travelling, not me, so I don't think there's much disputing of the claim that can be done.

Edited by Master Ablar

Here's the quote. :)

Netherlands tour 8 April 2001, Elf Fantasy Fair - Aan'allein reporting

KuraFire asked about the prologue of The Eye of the World, where Ishamael Traveled, but with a different description than that of usual Traveling.

Jordan said that that was because the Traveling was done by using the True Power. We'd seen the same since, when Moridin Travels somewhere... "The Pattern screamed."

I'm sure this has been asked, but when Rand balefired Semirhage, why didn't her recent actions become undone? I'm sure Rand balefired her rather strongly.
I recall somewhere telling that Rand could do 30 minutes unaided. If Rand's balefire on her undid any actions, those actions probably were off screen.

I don't think the holding of Rand with the Band took that much...

Balefire undoes actions, but only what Semirhage did. What she mostly did, was forcing Rand to do things. the fact that Rand was being forces becomes false, but what Rand did, stays the same. As such, there would be almost no recent actions to undo.

But if the max TP balefire for Rand is just as strong as his max saidin Balefire.... thats another question. thought anyone? TP is much more aimed at destructive uses...

Yeah, my mistake. I meant Towers of Midnight obviously.

Yeah, it is funny, I actually thought you were lying to me, being an annoying internet poster who pretends they had read aMoL. It was only when it was mentioned in another thread I realised you meant ToM. I went over the chapters last night, I totally missed Moridens statement, I remember the 3 forsaken comment but just plain didn't think about it, and never read the glossary.

So basically I'm and idiot, haha, without this board I would never have known!! (well, probably not until my second reading of toM) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys and girls :smile:

Umm possibly stupid question but what are forums for than to inlighten the uninlightend

I'm rereading the series for i don't even know how many times now.

I'm reading the great hunt at the moment and had a thought.

Lan gives Rand a red eagle pin for when he goes to the amyrlin.

Then when leaving Fal Dara Rand puts it in his pocket.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong I don't remember that pin really ever being mentioned or worn ever again.

Can anyone tell me why? Or did something happen to the pin and I keep missing it in my rereads?

Some might say it's just a silly pin get over it but I'd really like to know

Lan gives Rand a red eagle pin for when he goes to the amyrlin.

Then when leaving Fal Dara Rand puts it in his pocket.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong I don't remember that pin really ever being mentioned or worn ever again.

Can anyone tell me why? Or did something happen to the pin and I keep missing it in my rereads?

I don't believe it ever comes up again.

I think that after a certain point in the story, though, Rand would have stopped wearing it even if he did still have it because when he accepts that he's the Dragon Reborn he stops being a representative of Manetheren alone.

On my current re-read I just past the part where Elayne and Nynaeve get to Salidar, along with Nicola and Areina. Later they try blackmailing egwene about pretending to be Aes Sedai right? well i thought that they came to that conclusion based on Nynaeve and Elayne doing the same thing on their way to Salidar. but just reading it recently, i didn't see anything of them pretending to be AS in front of Nicola. Sure they were taking charge and ordering people about, and channeling a bit, but supposedly in a way no one would notice. So how would they have figured out any of the girls had claimed to be AS, or even gotten enough to base a hunch on?

It's a Small World After All

While starting my 8th re-read of The Eye of the World, I was jarred by the lack of knowledge about people that the characters have.

a) No one knows who Thom Merrilin is. Except, of course, for the royal family of Andor. For any ruling family on the continent, the putative lover of the queen of Andor would have been a marked target of gossip. Even after the perhaps 15 years that Thom has been gone from the court, no one remembers his name. Moiraine especially should have known; she was very high in the succession ranks after Laman was killed, and should have been well-schooled in the gossip of the closest neighbor of Cairhien.

b) Ruling families and their courts don't visually recognize each other. In a similar fashion, all of the courts would have seen pictures, perhaps as paintings, and heard descriptions of the important people of lands near and far. Thus, it was surprising that Thom did not recognize Moiraine as a Damodred; even given her "cover" as Aes Sedai, he would have registered her as noble born and given her height and her looks, there were only a couple of people who would fit that description. There is evidence later on that she had the Damodred looks, when Rand was having a picnic near Cairhien.

So, my question is, "Except for plot progression, why did not these people recognize each other?"

While starting my 8th re-read of The Eye of the World, I was jarred by the lack of knowledge about people that the characters have.

a) No one knows who Thom Merrilin is. Except, of course, for the royal family of Andor. For any ruling family on the continent, the putative lover of the queen of Andor would have been a marked target of gossip. Even after the perhaps 15 years that Thom has been gone from the court, no one remembers his name. Moiraine especially should have known; she was very high in the succession ranks after Laman was killed, and should have been well-schooled in the gossip of the closest neighbor of Cairhien.

b) Ruling families and their courts don't visually recognize each other. In a similar fashion, all of the courts would have seen pictures, perhaps as paintings, and heard descriptions of the important people of lands near and far. Thus, it was surprising that Thom did not recognize Moiraine as a Damodred; even given her "cover" as Aes Sedai, he would have registered her as noble born and given her height and her looks, there were only a couple of people who would fit that description. There is evidence later on that she had the Damodred looks, when Rand was having a picnic near Cairhien.

So, my question is, "Except for plot progression, why did not these people recognize each other?"

daes'damar

most likely they did know who one another were.

edit to elaborate: when thom first see's moiraine it could be just because she is aes sedai, but his reaction is pretty strong for encountering an unexpected aes sedai, it actually almost seems like they have met before

Edited by Testy al'Carr

In TEotW when Aginor/Balthamel are asked how they found the party, Balthamel points to Mat and says something about an old enemy.

Was that him mistaking Mat for being LTT reborn or something to do with Manetheren/the Shadar Logoth dagger?

I'd guess it was the latter, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense since all that happened long after the Sealing, unless the Forsaken who were less bound could percieve events as Ishamael could. I imagine being trapped in the same prison as the antithesis of creation can do strange things to your mind if you aren't in a coma like the others were.

In TEotW when Aginor/Balthamel are asked how they found the party, Balthamel points to Mat and says something about an old enemy.

Was that him mistaking Mat for being LTT reborn or something to do with Manetheren/the Shadar Logoth dagger?

I'd guess it was the latter, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense since all that happened long after the Sealing, unless the Forsaken who were less bound could percieve events as Ishamael could. I imagine being trapped in the same prison as the antithesis of creation can do strange things to your mind if you aren't in a coma like the others were.

Old enemy/old friend refers to Shadar Logoth and the corruption of the dagger.

moraine knew, or she learned soon after. remember in the stone where moraine tells thom his life story?

didn't thom speak of her and her life at that same meeting. i do remember learning to know him as the grey fox in that meeting, but i cant remember if it was also mentioned in tgh in cairhein.

Good points. Except that we know from the books that they DID recognize each other. Thom recognized Moiraine for what she was (and who she was) and Moiraine recognized Thom too.

I think you should read their story a bit more carefully. I suggest reading their chapter in TSR (don't remember exactly which chapter it is) and the subtle hints in the first three books. You may want to look up Terez's summary on Moiraine+Thom foreshadowings as well (I don't have the link).