DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Recently been rereading FoH again and read about the Raven Tattoo Carlynia sedai is seen with in Min's viewing. Carlynia died during the Seanchan attack in TGS. The Tattoo is the sign of the Imperial seekers,... so what's this all about? The viewing hasn't been fulfilled between FoH and TGS, has it? Quick lookup on the wiki told me that Brandon had already RAFO't the question. Is there a place, thread, etc. where I can find speculation or additional info about this subject? I kinda liked the scenes with Almurat the seeker in them, so would love seeing him again in aMoL if possible.

Or was it really a misprint, cause one might start to wonder about a possible link between the logic of the White Ajah and seekers.

-

Recently been rereading FoH again and read about the Raven Tattoo Carlynia sedai is seen with in Min's viewing. Carlynia died during the Seanchan attack in TGS. The Tattoo is the sign of the Imperial seekers,... so what's this all about? The viewing hasn't been fulfilled between FoH and TGS, has it? Quick lookup on the wiki told me that Brandon had already RAFO't the question. Is there a place, thread, etc. where I can find speculation or additional info about this subject? I kinda liked the scenes with Almurat the seeker in them, so would love seeing him again in aMoL if possible.

Or was it really a misprint, cause one might start to wonder about a possible link between the logic of the White Ajah and seekers.

-

She dies in ToM when Mesaana and the BA attack in TAR. The raven can be a symbol of the shadow.

-

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/65400-carlinya-the-failed-viewing/page__hl__carlinya

-

Firstly, the raven tattoo is indicative of being property of the Empress. The Seekers are that, but so are many other things.

As for Carlinya, Brandon stated that 'that viewing did not mean what we thought it did' [paraphrase]. *shrug*

In tEotW, when Rand and co. were at The Stag and Lion, during the dancing scene (Ch. 17, pg. 244) Rand notices a man sitting at one of the tables and notes that he is "the only unsmiling face he saw..." He describes the man as having "a scar that crossed his whole face from one temple to the opposite jaw, giving his nose a slant and drawing the corner of his mouth down." Lan says two pages later that the man is a Whitecloak spy. The man, to me anyways, fits the description of Sammael. At this point, I don't think any of the seals are broken yet, but it nags at me just the same. Anyone know if it is indeed Sammael?

In tEotW, when Rand and co. were at The Stag and Lion, during the dancing scene (Ch. 17, pg. 244) Rand notices a man sitting at one of the tables and notes that he is "the only unsmiling face he saw..." He describes the man as having "a scar that crossed his whole face from one temple to the opposite jaw, giving his nose a slant and drawing the corner of his mouth down." Lan says two pages later that the man is a Whitecloak spy. The man, to me anyways, fits the description of Sammael. At this point, I don't think any of the seals are broken yet, but it nags at me just the same. Anyone know if it is indeed Sammael?

Isn't it funny how Jordan had the ability to make us re-question EVERYTHING? I have stopped re-reading WOT for now, because I found myself focusing on every paragraph, looking for hints, hidden information and foreshadowing that just isn't there. It makes for slllooowww reading, I tell ya.

Is it possible to draw the OP from a well while shielded? Does a shield also work on the TP (or can a different kind of shield be woven to block a TP-user)? Ok, that was three questions. Hope someone can spare a few seconds to enlighten me (with quotes, if possible).

Q: Can someone channel from a Well while shielded?

RJ: Yes, they could. If they had the Well.

Week 8 Question: When a person that can channel is shielded, where is the shield placed? Is it placed around the whole body of the person or around the head of the channeler where they sense saidin/saidar? If you are shielded from the One Power, are you also shielded from the True Power? What happens if someone in a circle is shielded? Can a Warder feel that his Aes Sedai is shielded?

Robert Jordan Answers: A shield exists both as a barrier around the entire person and as a single point along with everything in between. (In a way, this is like the Bore, which does not actually exist as Shayol Ghul. The Bore exists everywhere, but Shayol Ghul is the place where it can best be detected. Which is not to say that there is any connection between the Bore and a shield. Both simply exist in different states simultaneously.) Someone who is shielded and trying to get past the shield can "feel" their way along its inner "surface" hunting for weaknesses, such as the points that indicate where the shield is being maintained or has been tied off. Shielding against the One Power will indeed stop someone from reaching for the True Power.22 It isn't possible to shield one person out of a circle since, in effect, the circle has become a single person for the purpose of channeling. You would have to shield the entire circle, which would require either a circle of your own or a pretty hefty sa'angreal. A Warder cannot feel that his Aes Sedai has been shielded, though he would be aware of any agitation on her part. But this would tell him no more than that she was agitated.

Just started my re-read after ages away from the books. Sorry if my questions are told in the books and I simply missed them.

In A Crown of Swords when Moghedien is mindtrapped by Moridin, she notices what she believes is a second Mindtrap hanging around Mors neck. Do we ever find out if and who that is?

And is it considered a given that Taim was taught by Dashiva/Aginor in the same manner as Rand was by Asmodean? When Rand picked Dashiva as his new guard at Dumais Wells, Perrin suddenly smelled frustration coming from Taim - we also know it was Aginor that helped Flynn learn the male healing.

Sorry for double questions, and once again sorry if the prior is explained in the book.

second mindtrap; the books do not explicitly say, but there are indicators of it being Cyndane (Lanfear resurrected).

Taim being taught by any Forsaken is uncertain to at least me. Some readers seem to believe that Ishamael taught him.

Flynn's Healing, I do not recall any scene telling that Osangar/Aginor contributing to it. Flynn tells it was Taim that taught him.

By the way, I take we can post any number of questions at a time in this thread.

I just started reading tEotW and started watching for some subtle changes in the three boys developments, mostly regarding Mat, when they yells the batlecryes, aproaching Shadar Logoth, (Rand and Perrin yells Manetheren, Manetheren), and Mat yells that other thing in Old Tongue, when they are inside and located in the white building, Rand think Mat seems distanced, or introverted (we don't have Mat's PoV to see what happens but i thought that might be the first subtle change towards something inside Mat) or he just was startled about saying something in old tongue,

i also noticed on the describtion of the dagger, it had snakes carved in on the blade, it is probably noting more then nice carvings on a blade but Mat will have some later experiances with Snakes (and Foxes)

second mindtrap; the books do not explicitly say, but there are indicators of it being Cyndane (Lanfear resurrected).

Taim being taught by any Forsaken is uncertain to at least me. Some readers seem to believe that Ishamael taught him.

Flynn's Healing, I do not recall any scene telling that Osangar/Aginor contributing to it. Flynn tells it was Taim that taught him.

By the way, I take we can post any number of questions at a time in this thread.

Cheers :)

And I wasn't clear in my question about the healing. It's Taim that teaches, but when Flynn is healing/containing the wound of 2 evils in Rands side (just before he goes off to take kill Sammael) in Crown of Swords, he tells the Aes Sedai that it was Dashiva that encouraged him to learn more of healing and always had very good advice about it, even though Dashivas own healing skills were non existant. Taim was the one to actually show the flows and techniques I suppose aye.

Guest PiotrekS

If something falling from the platform in skimming space falls farever and there's nothing at the end of the fall, how come there is gravitation in skimming space and things fall down at all?

Falling from a Skimming platform, it is uncertain whether the falling is forever or a limited time. And the nature of that space is currently unknown.

The books seem to imply that Gateways go through the Pattern; at least saidin-made ones. Maybe the Pattern pulls/repels/etc the falling victim.

Guest PiotrekS

Falling from a Skimming platform, it is uncertain whether the falling is forever or a limited time. And the nature of that space is currently unknown.

The books seem to imply that Gateways go through the Pattern; at least saidin-made ones. Maybe the Pattern pulls/repels/etc the falling victim.

That was a wicked question to ask, but I couldn't resist.

I'm rereading The Shadow Rising, (I wanted to reread all the books before the release of the final book this year) and I just came upon the moment when Perrin finds out that his family is dead and killed by Trollocs, I had totally forgotton this scene (it has been awhile since I've read them) and I was wondering does Perrin ever find out that it was Fain that killed his family?

I'm rereading The Shadow Rising, (I wanted to reread all the books before the release of the final book this year) and I just came upon the moment when Perrin finds out that his family is dead and killed by Trollocs, I had totally forgotton this scene (it has been awhile since I've read them) and I was wondering does Perrin ever find out that it was Fain that killed his family?

The current books do not tell. If Perrin found out, it happened off-screen.

Though the finding out seems unlikely since there were not any witnesses and since no traces have been left.

I think Dain Bornhald knows that it was Fain. I think I remember his POV with Fain, and saying that he covered it up. So it may come out in the last book.

Is it known how Rand found out that using just one symbol on a Portal Stone, as he did in travelling to Rhuidean from Tear?

Verin told him how in TSR; it's also a logical outgrowth of getting from one world to another, which Selene/Lanfear told him how to do (I think, a bit fuzzy on that part). I always took the overlong trip to Toman Head by Portal Stone to be a side effect of Rand not being able to channel enough of the power to move them from one to the other without complications.