DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

In TEotW when Aginor/Balthamel are asked how they found the party, Balthamel points to Mat and says something about an old enemy.

Was that him mistaking Mat for being LTT reborn or something to do with Manetheren/the Shadar Logoth dagger?

I'd guess it was the latter, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense since all that happened long after the Sealing, unless the Forsaken who were less bound could percieve events as Ishamael could. I imagine being trapped in the same prison as the antithesis of creation can do strange things to your mind if you aren't in a coma like the others were.

Old enemy/old friend refers to Shadar Logoth and the corruption of the dagger.

But Asha is right - Balthamel was safely snoozing away in the whatever it's called during the time Aridhol was being remade into Shadar Logoth. That all happened a good ways after the War of Power and the Breaking and whatnot.

This is actually really interesting - I thought Ishy was behind Mordeth's twisting of Aridhol, but he'd be Balthamel's buddy, don't recall anything about any particular animosity there. Good find Asha, would like to see what Luckers/Yoniy0/Terez made of it? Curious...

I was re-reading the Great Hunt, and a question occurred to me: WHY was Fain so dead set on getting Rand to Falme? What was his plan? I don't recall that being ever explained.

Wasn't that related to the Dark Prophecy scrawled on the dungeon wall at Fal Dara? I can't remember exactly how it was any more significant than any other place, seanchan arrival notwithstanding... And Fain's PoV on meeting High Lord Turak doesn't indicate any previous agreements or such with any seanchan df's. Maybe it was just one of those commands implanted deep into Fain's tortured little mind at Shayol Ghul.

In TEotW when Aginor/Balthamel are asked how they found the party, Balthamel points to Mat and says something about an old enemy.

Was that him mistaking Mat for being LTT reborn or something to do with Manetheren/the Shadar Logoth dagger?

I'd guess it was the latter, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense since all that happened long after the Sealing, unless the Forsaken who were less bound could percieve events as Ishamael could. I imagine being trapped in the same prison as the antithesis of creation can do strange things to your mind if you aren't in a coma like the others were.

But Asha is right - Balthamel was safely snoozing away in the whatever it's called during the time Aridhol was being remade into Shadar Logoth. That all happened a good ways after the War of Power and the Breaking and whatnot.

This is actually really interesting - I thought Ishy was behind Mordeth's twisting of Aridhol, but he'd be Balthamel's buddy, don't recall anything about any particular animosity there. Good find Asha, would like to see what Luckers/Yoniy0/Terez made of it? Curious...

RJ has commented on this, Aginor was aware and able to perceive the world so he knew about Shadar Logoth.

RJ has commented on this, Aginor was aware and able to perceive the world so he knew about Shadar Logoth.

Plus we know from BS tweets that the evil of the dagger/SL is an ancient evil that Mordeth learned/was corrupted by before even going to Shadar Logoth. Aginor might not have known of the city from the era of the 10 nations, but the evil that he followed was as ancient as Wolfbrothers.

I was re-reading the Great Hunt, and a question occurred to me: WHY was Fain so dead set on getting Rand to Falme? What was his plan? I don't recall that being ever explained.

Wasn't that related to the Dark Prophecy scrawled on the dungeon wall at Fal Dara? I can't remember exactly how it was any more significant than any other place, seanchan arrival notwithstanding... And Fain's PoV on meeting High Lord Turak doesn't indicate any previous agreements or such with any seanchan df's. Maybe it was just one of those commands implanted deep into Fain's tortured little mind at Shayol Ghul.

The dark prophecy did talk about Toman Head, but it wasn't anything specific. And Fain doesn't strike me as someone who would do something just because a prophecy said so. And it probably wasn't on the Dark One's order, because he had to force the Myrdraal and Trollocs to follow him. It seems obvious he had a plan (he refers to it several times in his POV when he goes to see Turak) but we never get to know what it was.

There are lots of odd things in the Great Hunt that don't get fully explained, and that we never get back to. It makes me wonder if they were just dropped, initial ideas that were abandoned, or if they have some sort of significance that we don't grasp yet. I don't have any other specific examples in mind, but I remember noticing quite a few while I was re-reading it.

Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser. Will be very interesting to see how RJ's wild card fits into the final showdown...

The fires below awoke in anger, the red light blazed, and all the cavern was filled with a great glare and heat. Suddenly Rand saw Fain's long hands draw upwards to his mouth; his white fangs gleamed, and then snapped as they bit. Rand gave a cry, and there he was, fallen upon his knees at the chasm's edge. But Fain, dancing like a mad thing, held aloft the ring, a finger still thrust within it's circle. It shone now as if verily it was wrought of living fire.

'Precious, precious, precious!' Fain cried. 'My Precious! O my Precious!' And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell. Out of the depths came his last wail Precious, and he was gone.

Guest neslepaks

Do channelers need to embrace the source in order to be able to detect someone else's ability to channel?

And I don't mean "to see weaves", nor "to detect whether someone is holding the Power", but merely "to recognize someone else as channeler even if the latter is NOT holding the Power".

More specificly, I was wandering whether this ability could work in Ogier steddings or not, as the stedding blocks channelers from the source. Therefore, another way of stating this question could be: "could a channeler in a stedding recognize someone else as channeler?"

Tx!

In a word: ambush. He runs to Toman Head, getting Rand to follow. He tells the Seanchan someone is after him, and when Rand arrives, Fain and his new Seanchan buddies are there waiting for him. If that fails, run away and fight somewhere else.

Do channelers need to embrace the source in order to be able to detect someone else's ability to channel?

And I don't mean "to see weaves", nor "to detect whether someone is holding the Power", but merely "to recognize someone else as channeler even if the latter is NOT holding the Power".

More specificly, I was wandering whether this ability could work in Ogier steddings or not, as the stedding blocks channelers from the source. Therefore, another way of stating this question could be: "could a channeler in a stedding recognize someone else as channeler?"

Tx!

You wouldn't need to hold the Source, but you would need to be able to. In a stedding you couldn't hold the Power, so you couldn't sense if someone was a channeler there. Outside of a stedding, a woman could sense another woman's ability to channel with neither of them holding the Source. Edited by Mr Ares

Also Falme (far west) cannot be reached easily and quickly from Carhein (just east of the Wall) except via the Ways or Travel, which neither Mordeth nor Fain know about the existence of.

So it cuts down the odds of his being followed except by Rand's relatively small party.

You wouldn't need to hold the Source, but you would need to be able to. In a stedding you couldn't hold the Power, so you couldn't sense if someone was a channeler there. Outside of a stedding, a woman could sense another woman's ability to channel with neither of them holding the Source.

I don't believe you are correct.

Also Falme (far west) cannot be reached easily and quickly from Carhein (just east of the Wall) except via the Ways or Travel, which neither Mordeth nor Fain know about the existence of.

So it cuts down the odds of his being followed except by Rand's relatively small party.

Actually, Fain has traveled the Ways and Fain is so twisted that the Black Wind FLED from Fain because of how twisted and evil Fain is.

You wouldn't need to hold the Source, but you would need to be able to. In a stedding you couldn't hold the Power, so you couldn't sense if someone was a channeler there. Outside of a stedding, a woman could sense another woman's ability to channel with neither of them holding the Source.

I don't believe you are correct.

What part isn't correct?

Is there a source for this? I just don't remember reading this anywhere and was wondering where you got it from.

My impressions are similar, in that a channeler doesn't need to hold the source to detect one's ability to channel, but I am wondering about that second part.

Is there a source for this? I just don't remember reading this anywhere and was wondering where you got it from.

My impressions are similar, in that a channeler doesn't need to hold the source to detect one's ability to channel, but I am wondering about that second part.

BWB

Ogier stedding seem to be shielded in some unknown way that completely prevents the One Power from being channeled, or even sensed, within their boundaries; attempts to wield the One Power from outside a stedding have no effect inside it.

Are you sure that you need to be able to sense the Source in order to tell if somebody else can channel?

I think this is an inferred assumption, based on the fact that only channellers can sense other channellers and that in a stedding everyone is essentially a nonchanneller (the only reason that channellers hate stedding is because they feel cravings towards the Source and cannot feel it.)

Actually, Fain has traveled the Ways and Fain is so twisted that the Black Wind FLED from Fain because of how twisted and evil Fain is.

I meant that neither Mordeth or Fain are aware of Travel. Of course Mordeth-Fain has used the Ways and he expects Rand to use the Ways as well.But he doesn't expect other people to horn in on his private fight because they will not be able to use the Ways that easily.

Are you sure that you need to be able to sense the Source in order to tell if somebody else can channel?

I think this is an inferred assumption, based on the fact that only channellers can sense other channellers and that in a stedding everyone is essentially a nonchanneller (the only reason that channellers hate stedding is because they feel cravings towards the Source and cannot feel it.)

Only female channelers can sense other channelers in situations when nobody is holding the Source,

Male channelers can't sense each other or sense women channelers unless the party being sensed is holding the Source.

However both female / male channelers can sense other channelers without holding the Source themselves.

In a stedding, where nobody can sense/ hold the Source, male channelers would not be able to sense any channeler.

Women might be able to sense other women - since they can sense the potential to hold Source as it were, and that remains in a stedding.

Or as stated above, they might not.

I cannot remember any relevant incident or quote in either the stedding / Far Madding sequences to definitively prove women can/cannot.

So yes, the above is inferred and it may be wrong.