DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Question: In tGS we learn that it's the ajah heads who were behind the trend of too-young sitters in both camps. We also learn that they've been working behind the scenes to rule, but that Elaida turned out to be impossible to control, and the rebellion was far more effective than they expected. Correct so far? So my question is how much did they influence? it's probably in there but i don't remember. Did they have to do with the original Elaida coup (set up an amyrlin they think they can control), or just taking advantage of the situation? They sent the too-young sitters? how did they know they'd be raised as sitters? did they send real sitters as well?

Question: In tGS we learn that it's the ajah heads who were behind the trend of too-young sitters in both camps. We also learn that they've been working behind the scenes to rule, but that Elaida turned out to be impossible to control, and the rebellion was far more effective than they expected. Correct so far? So my question is how much did they influence? it's probably in there but i don't remember. Did they have to do with the original Elaida coup (set up an amyrlin they think they can control), or just taking advantage of the situation? They sent the too-young sitters? how did they know they'd be raised as sitters? did they send real sitters as well?

as far as i understand, the coup was planned by Elaida with the help of the BA aka Alviarin and the other Sitters.

so after the coup, the Ajah Heads decided that to help get the Tower whole again, they will send too young Sitters that they will be manipulating and get them to get the rebel Aes Sedai to come back. so i guess they just took advantage of the turmoil.

I've been wandering about the rings Gawyn has.

Could he use all 3 at once?

Would that triple the effect or just make him die 3 times faster?

Any opinions?

Not enough info - it poisons the blood so maybe 3x poisoning.

It creates a blending with shadows effect - don't think that could be much enhanced.

Speed and strength - who knows??

Did The DO MEAN for Semi to be killed by Rand and the TP??

Or was it more a case for him of ''She's the bait, and I hope she doesn't get toasted, but if she does...serves her right.'' (This is how I read it).

I have seen theories that she was definitely the 'sacrifice' not just to open Rand to the TP but also to be punished for her screw up.

Fish

I would say the Dark One intended for Semi to die, if only because of a quote from a Semi POV in LOC that seems to be one of the more obvious foreshadowings in the series.

She had never been more than an indifferent tcheran player, but Shaidar Haran was a new piece on the board, one of unknown strength and purpose. And one daring way to capture your opponent's High Counselor and turn it to your side was to sacrifice your Spires in a false attack. She would kneel if need be, but she would not be sacrificed.

I would say the Dark One intended for Semi to die, if only because of a quote from a Semi POV in LOC that seems to be one of the more obvious foreshadowings in the series.

She had never been more than an indifferent tcheran player, but Shaidar Haran was a new piece on the board, one of unknown strength and purpose. And one daring way to capture your opponent's High Counselor and turn it to your side was to sacrifice your Spires in a false attack. She would kneel if need be, but she would not be sacrificed.

Thats an awesome quote, GLYD!Id forgottene about that one. (makes it pretty clear.)

Fish

Since Rand was bonded by Alanna and then by Elayne, Avienda, Min. If one of these ladies were to die, would he suffer the same type of depression that other Warders do when their Aes Sedai dies and they lose their will to live?

I think the closest thing we have seen is Lan's bond being passed. He was still depressed and turned into death walking, but still having a bond with someone else compelled him to not seek death in avenging Moiraine. and she did it because she knew that was his best chance for survival. So I would say having still 3 remaining bonds (assuming only one dies) would buffer him somewhat from the warder depression.

Since Rand was bonded by Alanna and then by Elayne, Avienda, Min. If one of these ladies were to die, would he suffer the same type of depression that other Warders do when their Aes Sedai dies and they lose their will to live?

If Alanna is a good rule of thumb (though in reverse), the severing of the bond will cause rage, since the grief she felt over losing one of her warders was pretty bad. Depending on what he is doing at the time, it might make for an interesting read...

Various prophecies seem to indicate that Elayne/Aviendha/Min would still be alive at Rand's death.

Do not recall any prophecy telling one way or the other for Alanna; so she may be the only one of Rand's bond holders to die before he does.

Though some other character becoming the example of this I guess would be more likely; since the Viewing of the 5 Aes Sedia might indicate a slight chance of each 5 living.

Edited by mb

One of my previous questions paraphrased::

Morgase tells Tallanvor about Compulsion in detail. Little of that stuff was revealed in the discussion earlier in the chapter; and the term Compulsion was not used by anybody in that discussion.

Where (and/or from whom) did Morgase get the info (including the term)?

Morgase tells Tallanvor about Compulsion in detail. Little of that stuff was revealed in the discussion earlier in the chapter; and the term Compulsion was not used by anybody in that discussion.

I noticed this too!!! Its another one of those 'Liberties' I feel Brandon has been taking. I'm learning, roughly, to swallow these 'Sandersonisms' ... A similar one, I always felt, was the chapter "A Storm Of The Light" in TOM where we see Rand's Channeling from RODEL'S pov and he is using terms like 'Deathgates' and 'Blossoms of Fire.'

Fish

Rand references several times that since bonding the girls, Alanna's bond had seemed to be pushed to the side and be weaker, and Alanna herself has said that now she can sense little more than that Rand is alive. I've theorized in the path that this is prep-work for Alanna dying (and it not affecting Rand too badly).

Morgase trained in the Tower for some time, and every novice is instructed on not-using compulsion. It is more than probable that she heard the term then.

At the end of the Dragon Reborn, Egwene hypothesizes that it is so, based on an old piece of prophecy Verin showed her. And it's clear that Moiraine never believed it was the Dark One, because he left a human body. Further, the way the other Forsaken behave as they go along make it clear by implication. As an example, Be'lal says to Rand "Truly, you know nothing" when Rand claims to have denied the Dark One to his face. I recall one of them thinking Ishamael had been more than half mad by the end and might truly have thought he was the Dark One, but I can't recall who it was off the top of my head.

so mmy brother is reading the books.

so i wanna discuss things with him, but i keep forgetting when certain stuff happens.

These sites can help find certain scenes::

-Encyclopaedia

-Ideal Seek

And Premium members of the Theory Land site I take can use a function that is similar to Ideal Seek; I take it shows more than Ideal Seek.

Edited by mb

How can an Aes Sedei have an alias if they cannot lie?

By saying 'you may call me Bob' they are not saying that their name is Bob, just that the other person may call them that--which, indeed, they may. So there is no lie.