DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

In CoT chapter 17, it is stated of Sharina's potential, "some thought she might become as strong as it was possible to be". Is there an established limit to a woman's strength in the OP?

Lanfear is the limit.

It should be noted that we don't know if Sharina actually has that potential. The Aes Sedai have not had channellers that powerful in a very long time.

In CoT chapter 17, it is stated of Sharina's potential, "some thought she might become as strong as it was possible to be". Is there an established limit to a woman's strength in the OP?

I don't know if that's real or just something aes sedai of the current age think, but i recall cyndane thinking something about alivia when she encounters her when Rand was cleansing saidin. Something about being as strong as herself before the finns held her and thinking that was unlikely. Maybe Lanfear was as strong as it's possible for a female to be (as per a wish from the finns back in the day?), and here's alivia, just as strong. anyway i don't have it in front of me, but i'd look in that chapter of winter's heart.

i don't think we know if Sharina will be that strong though

Edited by mandersen

Towers of Midnight Chapter 28; the dreadlords mentioned in the middle section, where did they come from?

The dreadlords that Perrin's group faced, from where did those come?

Graendal for sure sent the later ones; who sent the former ones?

Edit:

About highest saidar strengh, the books only have character belief.

As far as I am aware, neither author commented about that.

Edited by mb

So Lanfear is the most powerful known female channeler, but is it known that her power level is the highest that is possible?

Yes, it's highest level of power possible for a woman. Or at least it is believed to be, even in the AoL, and they would know considering the amount of channellers there were at that time. When facing Alivia, Lanfear reflects that she (Alivia) must have and angreal as it is impossible for a woman to be stronger than Lanfear was before dying.

Towers of Midnight Chapter 28; the dreadlords mentioned in the middle section, where did they come from?

The dreadlords that Perrin's group faced, from where did those come?

Graendal for sure sent the later ones; who sent the former ones?

They're probably some of Taim's men.

Edited by Master Ablar

To peregrine:

The vines are also a creation of the Ogier stonemasons, meaning that the vines are stone-made not actually ivy.

Being stone, the angles of said ivy are slight and hint at roundness and are hardly very fine = gradual due to the WT's sheer size.

Is there any location to legally post this - I could always photocopy it...?

Oh, that makes a lot more sense!

Thank you everyone for the responses -- Horseman, no worries about the mess up.

What do you mean, location to legally post? You mean the image from the BWB? I have a copy lying around somewhere, so I can look it up once I find it :)

To peregrine:

The vines are also a creation of the Ogier stonemasons, meaning that the vines are stone-made not actually ivy.

Being stone, the angles of said ivy are slight and hint at roundness and are hardly very fine = gradual due to the WT's sheer size.

Is there any location to legally post this - I could always photocopy it...?

Oh, that makes a lot more sense!

Thank you everyone for the responses -- Horseman, no worries about the mess up.

What do you mean, location to legally post? You mean the image from the BWB? I have a copy lying around somewhere, so I can look it up once I find it :)

Thanks

I am doing my first re-read and am on Winter's Heart. Rand had just been triple-bonded, and Min and Avi are out walking and they run into Birgitte. Min acts as if this is the first time she has seen her since Falme (when Mat blew the horn). Weren't they were together in Salidar before Min left with the emissary to Rand? I thought I remember Min and Birgitte playing together with Moghedien's 'children'.

I am doing my first re-read and am on Winter's Heart. Rand had just been triple-bonded, and Min and Avi are out walking and they run into Birgitte. Min acts as if this is the first time she has seen her since Falme (when Mat blew the horn). Weren't they were together in Salidar before Min left with the emissary to Rand? I thought I remember Min and Birgitte playing together with Moghedien's 'children'.

Yeah, that seems to be a mistake. Read footnote 3 on the chapter summary encyclopaedia WoT

After Morgase's identity was made known to Perrin and his camp, did the people that came with Morgase change their story?

I don't think it was touched on. The focus was on Morgase, anyone with her fell to the wayside.

I always thought Rand was going use Justice and hand it over to Tuon, when he 'kneels to the Crystal Throne', ie he kneels to give her the sword as respect not as an inferior. BTW is there any other prophecy that uses the word 'bind'?

This is always a bit that interested me is the when the Aiel first meet Egwene they talk about the last dreamer the Tower had, I would like to know if the Aiel trained her too, or left her to her own devices in Tel. When Nakomi (I know this is coming from Jupiter never mind left field), I thought that was her, and that her task was to tell Avi.

I always thought Rand was going use Justice and hand it over to Tuon, when he 'kneels to the Crystal Throne', ie he kneels to give her the sword as respect not as an inferior. BTW is there any other prophecy that uses the word 'bind'?

This is where it seems as if Ishy tampered with the KC that Luthair brought over with him. There was no "kneel to the Crystal Throne" in the original, there was a "He shall bind the nine moons to serve him." however.

Sorry should have clarified, I knew that part of the prophecy was tampered with, I thought Rand could actually fulfil it, without him knowing that he did, even though its a false prophecy before he 'binds' the DotNM, which is strange since she ain't no longer DotNM now.

which is strange since she ain't no longer DotNM now.

This has been discussed here before. She isn't the DotNM anymore, true, she's the Nine Moons now. Which is one of the reasons why their first meeting was bound to fail - he couldn't yet bind her.

BTW is there any other prophecy that uses the word 'bind'?

Not really, unless you count this one:

In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people,

and he shall break the world again by his coming,

tearing apart all ties that bind.

Based off comments in another thread, I would like to pose the following two questions:

1.) Given how it has been stated the Lanfear and Ishmeal know how to track ta'vern by their influence on the pattern, that suggests that there were ta'vern in the AoL, who?

Was LTT a ta'vern?

We know that channeling is a "soul traight" is being ta'vern also a soul traight?

If not, could the use of ta'vern be the Creators way of acting on the pattern? It would seem to be in line with the general belief that the DO destroys/creates chaos and the creator creates and and ensures order. By adding ta'vern to the pattern, the creator would not be influencing the world directly, but rather given certain souls the ability to make decisions that shape the world (ie, rand could have gone the other way in VoG).

Channeling is a trait of both body and soul. Ta'veren is not a trait of either, so much as a temporary condition, something bestowed by the Wheel as part of its self-correcting mechanisms.

Robert Jordan told that taveren-ness is not since birth. If I remember correctly, he told elsewhere that the 3 taveren became so a week before Moiraine arrived.

Not sure about taveren-ness being temporary.

As of yet, the books have not showed of a way for a taveren to become non-taveren and still live.

Ta'veren-ness comes and goes, like standing in the center of a whirlwind or dust devil. A Ta'veren is that thread which many others, perhaps all others are woven around for a time. You don't have to die to stop being ta'veren, you just have to have done whatever it was the Wheel needed you to do, so it can stop weaving everybody else's threads around yours. Then, perhaps, someone else will become ta'veren, and the former ta'veren thread may be woven around the new ta'veren thread. It's not a trait of the soul or the body. It's not even really a trait of the thread itself. Instead, it's a property of the Pattern, that threads may be woven around other threads. It's an aspect of a kind of weaving, the name of a particular position within that weaving.

I'm in the middle of re-reading tPoD, and I just finished the chapter where Morgase and co swear into Faile/Perrin's service. And at the end of the chapter, Tallanvor tells Morgase that he loves her. And if this is considered too inappropriate, I apologize, but did they, well, "go at it" after? I never thought about it until this re-read for some reason, I always assumed that when it said that Tallanvor stood up that he just left and didn't take into account the subtlety of him being "back in his own blankets". I just sat thinking about it for 15 minutes going back and forth on it, and now I'm kinda convinced they did after reading it enough, just wanted to see if there was ever any confirmation or what not. I know it's not a big deal and kind of a weird question, but I always thought I was good at catching RJ's subtle hints and just wanted to know if I indeed missed this one for so long. Just the little things, I guess.

Edited by Galium