DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

How can there be a One Power when there are apparently more than one? (I'm referring to the True Power here). I can't say why, but this has been nagging at me lately.

it's the 'one power' that drives creation. The true power stems from a source outside of creation (aka The Dark One).

Or it's just a name.

this except that the OP can be filtered through the DO which creates the TP which is seriously more addictive. Etc

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to ToM is GC the son of Grady, Grady states that his kid is damn ugly, not in those words but that's his meaning. Grady is talking with Perrin about going back to the black tower when he mentions that his son is not a handsome boy.

Also Rand talks about getting his 'people' organised because he won't be there to fight for them. I read into that, that Rand understands it's NOT all going to happen in one place and wants to position his forces in the best place and that by gathering his forces then dispersing them gives him the best chance to accomplish this.

I also think Avi will get back to Rand just as the are concluding the Dragons Peace, then interupts it and discusses the Aiel being included. I always thought the Aiel would make a good police force in general, have them do that.

So does Callandor have a deliberate flaw? A flaw created during its making deliberately. I don't know that it does, but listening to what is said about it, it does seem to indicate that, rather than it being discovered, or was it during the testing of it before sticking it in the stone, they discovered the flaws within it?

The Dark Ones own luck, how does that make you lucky, that damn creature has never escaped never 'WON' how would anything that has always lost (I know he can have degrees of success) be lucky?

Also how does Moridin escape ToG, I thought things of the shadow weren't tolerated. So how come the Finns didn't stop him, or was it Slayer or Proxy who went in for Lanfear? It seems that Moridin waltzed in and took what he wanted, maybe asked about the Shadow book of prophecies at that time?

Also does anyone have Ashaman numbers, or a link to a page that give me an idea on their numbers?

Listening to ToM is GC the son of Grady, Grady states that his kid is damn ugly, not in those words but that's his meaning. Grady is talking with Perrin about going back to the black tower when he mentions that his son is not a handsome boy.

Nope, he's too old.

Also Rand talks about getting his 'people' organised because he won't be there to fight for them. I read into that, that Rand understands it's NOT all going to happen in one place and wants to position his forces in the best place and that by gathering his forces then dispersing them gives him the best chance to accomplish this.

It's hard to say what Rand intends, but clearly he won't be able to fight all the battles for the light.

So does Callandor have a deliberate flaw? A flaw created during its making deliberately. I don't know that it does, but listening to what is said about it, it does seem to indicate that, rather than it being discovered, or was it during the testing of it before sticking it in the stone, they discovered the flaws within it?

It has a manufacturing flaw, it wasn't a flaw made intentionally by the Aes Sedai, though the pattern probably had a hand in it considering Callandor is in the prophecies.

The Dark Ones own luck, how does that make you lucky, that damn creature has never escaped never 'WON' how would anything that has always lost (I know he can have degrees of success) be lucky?

Also how does Moridin escape ToG, I thought things of the shadow weren't tolerated. So how come the Finns didn't stop him, or was it Slayer or Proxy who went in for Lanfear? It seems that Moridin waltzed in and took what he wanted, maybe asked about the Shadow book of prophecies at that time?

If he went in through the terangreal then the finns have to respect the pact.

Also does anyone have Ashaman numbers, or a link to a page that give me an idea on their numbers?

There were 450 at the beginning of tPoD. Those numbers have undoubtebly grown. That was about 80 days after the founding of the BT. By the end of ToM, those numbers should have at least doubled considering that around 170 days, if not a little more, have passed since the beginning of tPoD.

Now that the end is near, I've been wondering...

Do you think it was the Dark One who spoke to Rand at the end of The Eye Of The World?

He allowed Rand to use the True Power. Rand speaks as if he can access it anytime.

-MehtaXephon

Whether that was the Creator or the DO speaking to him is highly debated but the allowed use of the True Power is usually attributed to Rand's link with Moridin after their Balefire streams crossed in aCoS.

Now that the end is near, I've been wondering...

Do you think it was the Dark One who spoke to Rand at the end of The Eye Of The World?

He allowed Rand to use the True Power. Rand speaks as if he can access it anytime.

-MehtaXephon

Honestly, with regards to the voice in tEotW, it is anyone's guess. Team Jordan have been very closed-mouthed about this, there is pretty much no evidence to suggest one way or another, although, for what its worth, I would say it was the Creator that spoke, since that is the Creators way, it doesn't take part in the affairs of the world. HOwever, the same thing cannot be said of the DO, it has its hands all over the place messing with the world. Anyway, as I said, not enough evidence to say either way.

As to the comment about Rand, I am curious as to what you are referring to here? What makes you think he has constant access?

As to the comment about Rand, I am curious as to what you are referring to here? What makes you think he has constant access?

His comments to the Borderlanders while under the influence of the Guardians of Far Madding.

I thought so, I interpret that comment differently. Rand does not refer to the "present". He says that it would not have stopped him when he went to see Hurin, and could have used it if he had gone in. He doesn't mention if he could do so now.

Towers of Midnight: Chapter 51: A Testing

"You do not know how close you came to doom," Rand said softly. "If I had come to you but a short time earlier, I'd have returned those slaps with balefire."

"Inside the Guardian?" Tenobia sniffed disdainfully.

"The Guardian blocks the One Power," Rand whispered. "The One Power only."

Rand is talking about the past here, if he had come before VoG. We do not know if he can access the TP after VoG.

It may be that he can, I am not saying he cannot, however, this quote does not confirm that he can.

Edit: Bold is mine.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

His comments to the Borderlanders while under the influence of the Guardians of Far Madding.

I thought so, I interpret that comment differently. Rand does not refer to the "present". He says that it would not have stopped him when he went to see Hurin, and could have used it if he had gone in. He doesn't mention if he could do so now.

"You do not know how close you came to doom," Rand said softly. "If I had come to you but a short time earlier, I'd have returned those slaps with balefire."

Rand is talking about the past here, if he had come before VoG. We do not know if he can access the TP after VoG.

It may be that he can, I am not saying he cannot, however, this quote does not confirm that he can.

Sorry Barid but it is widely excepted that he is speaking of the present. What you bolded refers to his state of mind nothing more...

Well...... I suppose if that is what is accepted......

There is nothing to suggest he is though.... It certainly can be interpreted that way, but I would hardly say it is clear.

But if that is the case, fair enough, as I said, that was my interpretation.

Does "widely accepted" mean that this is actually confirmed or hinted by BWS?

I am not saying I don't believe you, but I just don't see how it can be so clear.

You bolded the wrong line I'm afraid, the line that needs to be bolded is this one...

That makes it pretty clear what he is talking about.

There is only way that Rand could have known that the Guardian didn't block True Power = he could sense it while inside the G's area of influence.

There is another way - LTTs memories, which Rand has full access to in TOM.

That something is a popular theory among the fans here does not necessarily make it true...#lextaimandred

There is only way that Rand could have known that the Guardian didn't block True Power = he could sense it while inside the G's area of influence.

How would LTT know about the Guardians?

Also I mean come on...it really is a stretch to read that passage any other way. Fair different than Taim/Demy which always had plenty of people on the other side btw.

Edited by Suttree

Well, the Guardian wasn't in Far Madding back before the Breaking, so this relies on LTT's having some other way of knowing about it. But it's possible, I guess.

That something is a popular theory among the fans here does not necessarily make it true...#lextaimandred

God knows that's true :smile:

Clearly, I have been misunderstood.

Forget about all the hints given and the probabilities.

If someone quoted that passage alone without any other supporting evidence, it confirms or denies nothing.

I remember Dragonmount as a place where, if it hadn't been quoted 7 times in the text and confirmed 10 times by RJ himself, it was still up for debate.

My problem was this: When did a vague hint become definitive proof about something? You cannot quote one sentence and tell me this proves a theory, unless that sentence says "This is true."

In regards to the possibility of LTT having knowledge of this, it is hardly a strech to assume so. The AoL people knew much more about the Power than third agers. It was through Lews Therin's memories that Rand even knows what the TP is. I can see no problem with LTT knowing about ter'angreal that cut off the OP similar to the Guardians.

But, as I said, I am not saying this is true, the most likely scenario is that the popular interpretation is correct, however, I would hardly call this one line proof.

In regards to the possibility of LTT having knowledge of this, it is hardly a strech to assume so. The AoL people knew much more about the Power than third agers. It was through Lews Therin's memories that Rand even knows what the TP is. I can see no problem with LTT knowing about ter'angreal that cut off the OP similar to the Guardians.

The problem is the guardians are a breaking era creation. They did not exist in LTT's time and we have no hint that anything like them existed previously. Surely he would have touched on it during his Far Madding history lesson if that were the case.

The problem is the guardians are a breaking era creation. They did not exist in LTT's time and we have no hint that anything like them existed previously. Surely he would have touched on it during his Far Madding history lesson if that were the case.

Indeed, you are most likely correct. I in fact agree with this. However, it is distinctly possible and not too hard to imagine. It is by no means impossible.

Anyway, there is no need to debate this, since I am agreeing with what is being said. I just wanted to bring up the fact that there ARE other possibilities.

I suppose I am being a bit pedantic. But I hate it when something is just assumed and taken as Truth, when in fact there is room for debate. It discourages discussion of the topic and exploring the possibilities. And the exploration and discussion of these theories is half the fun on Dragonmount :laugh:

There might very well have been similar ter'angreal during the AOL. Or LTT, who was generally cpnsidered a pretty smart guy has quite a bit of understanding of how TP works. Or some reason we have not even thought of.

Only thing we actually do know here, is that we don't know why Rand said what he said.

There might very well have been similar ter'angreal during the AOL. Or LTT, who was generally cpnsidered a pretty smart guy has quite a bit of understanding of how TP works. Or some reason we have not even thought of.

Ok leaving aside the "it's possible" in the sense that "anything is possible" because it hasn't been ruled out, there would be no reason for such a thing in the AoL. Nor has there even been a hint from Rand or any Forsaken on the topic which would be likely if it were the case. By far the simplest explanation is Rand meant exactly what he said. It's not definitive no, but it is far from some mystery.

Edited by Suttree

Ok leaving aside the "it's possible" in the sense that "anything is possible" because it hasn't been ruled out, there would be no reason for such a thing in the AoL. Nor has there even been a hint from Rand or any Forsaken on the topic which would be likely if it were the case. By far the simplest explanation is Rand meant exactly what he said. It's not definitive no, but it is far from some mystery.

True, the specific subject of a Guardian-like object has not been mentioned in reference to AoL, however, I do not think that there has been no hint whatsoever. After all the guardian is basically manufactured Shield (granted, not EXACTLY the same, but very, very similar), which was as common as a weave as you could get also, the a'dam and Domination Band's were created in the AoL, and they deal with similar powers. It is really not that huge of a leap to assume that the AoL'ers knew about the subject.

As for there being "no reason", that is true to a point, but I imagine that when the War of Shadow started, such matters would have been of great importance, specially with the discovery of the True Power. In fact I find it hard to believe that they WOULDN'T have studied the differences between the OP and TP, and how they could counter it.

It is also worth noting that LTT, when Rand touches the TP, recognizes it. This suggests that he himself has had experience with channeling the TP, thus, he would know the differences between the OP and TP, and if it would work when the OP is blocked.

As I said, I am not saying this is the most likely option, but it is far from, as you said ""it's possible" in the sense that "anything is possible" because it hasn't been ruled out, there would be no reason for such a thing in the AoL. Nor has there even been a hint from Rand or any Forsaken on the topic which would be likely if it were the case."

Edit: I suppose you are correct, it would not be so convoluted a plot-point. In terms of story, it is most likely as-is. But I still think that, in terms of the world dynamics and information we have, it has been hinted at and is a very plausible scenario. I am suprised that nobody has even thought of it, it was the first thing I thought of, LTT knew about the TP etc...

Trying to justify myself so I don't look like Dida hahahaha :tongue:

Edited by Barid Bel Medar