DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Actually Graendal infers that they all know, though she makes clear its not easy.

"Perrin Aybara and Mat Cauthon are ta'veren, easily found. Find them, and kill them."

Graendal laughed, a mirthless sound. "Finding ta'veren was never as simple as you made out, and now it's harder than ever. The whole Pattern is in flux, full of shifts and spikes."

[KoD; 3, At the Gardens]

Ahh. Well there ya go. Obviously Rahven was more concerned with his own devices than searching for the other two ta'veren. I mean, Ishy and Lanfear were the only ones who knew who all three were, but once Rand revealed himself in book one, Ishy pretty much forgot about Perrin and Mat and Lanfear only visited each of them once or twice to manuever them, but left them alone after that. So if the two who actually knew who they were didn't care about them, it stand to reason that those who never met them or actively searched for them at that point wouldn't even know of their existance. They'd all be more worried about Rand than wasting time searching for the two lesser ta'veren.

Edited by Edynol

Yeah, in tGH prologue (which I think you mean?) when Ishamael shows the DF's the hologram things of the three boys, that was in reference to one of them being the Dragon Reborn. When they confirmed it to be Rand, Mat and Perrin became inconsequential

Actually, Ishamael knew who Rand was by the end of TEotW. His inclusion of the other two boys in that meeting proves that he recognized some of their importance, as well, and yet he did sort of leave them alone for a time.

Exactly. (Puts on Siuan mask) Once you find a prize fish that will earn you gold, you will ignore the two that only bring you silver. Only when it is clear the gold fish is out of your reach do you settle for going after the silver fish.

Towers of Midnight mentions Wise One damane that were not Shaido.

The Shaido ones came from the battle at Malden. Where/When did the others come from?

dreamspike; from the dome I guess the effects are covered by one of these shapes::

-sphere

-hemisphere

-hemisphere on top of a cylinder

one of those shapes or a different shape?

If one of those, which one? if different, what exactly?

Towers of Midnight mentions Wise One damane that were not Shaido.

The Shaido ones came from the battle at Malden. Where/When did the others come from?

The Aiel Rand sent to Arad Doman had already been engaging the Seanchan to the south to keep Arad Doman secure.

I know that for most of the series, Rand legitimately had to fear 13 women being able to shield him. However since ToM, would 13 women necessarily be able to shield him still? I know the books always seems to say all men must be afraid of 13 women together, but after the Maradon battle display, I'm not so sure anymore. Is there any proof one way or the other for post-Epiphany Rand?

I know that for most of the series, Rand legitimately had to fear 13 women being able to shield him. However since ToM, would 13 women necessarily be able to shield him still? I know the books always seems to say all men must be afraid of 13 women together, but after the Maradon battle display, I'm not so sure anymore. Is there any proof one way or the other for post-Epiphany Rand?

I think this is more to do with his state of mind than any power.

There is some evidence to support some crazy power though.

His seeming ability to sense DF's.

The way DF's cannot look at him (supposedly)

The strange barrier of Light that is protecting him from the taint (again, supposedly)

Ability at Maradon (I think it was just AoL channeling, but it is not confirmed or denied either way)

Egwene believes that he looks like he could break a shield of 13, possibly more (although again, this is more his state of composure, but it is worth mentioning anyway)

So, it could be this new Light power, although I am not sure if this is some "other power" not enough information.

I doubt it is the True Power, as it has been confirmed : http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php that shields block access to the TP also. Worthy of mention, because I suppose there could be a way for the TP to break through a shield, but I doubt it.

Last of all, it could be that Rand has become insanely powerful, thus unable to be properly shielded, but I think this is also unlikely. Even Lews Theirn at his best could be shielded, and Rand/LTT is considered pretty much at the top of the list in regards to power levels. In any case, I would think it is impossible to be far enough above Lews Therin to break through a shield easily.

So in the end, I think it is just his confidence. He just doesn't care if they shield him, as he has faith in his ta'veren nature.

Although, it is worth noting that Rand did break though a shield in LoC. Less than a full 13, but possibly a hint?

I really don't know, just listed the possibilities.

Well, nobody outside the FS knows about the TP and you require different shields for both. Rand has that ace-in-a-hole if he really needs it to break an OP shield. But I think his total confidence in the WT is something to do with ta'veren nature and his "one with the land". .

Alternatively - he can continuously hold the Source aft6er VoG - except that Cadsuane doesn't comment on this in ToM.- and it's much more difficult to shield someone who's already holding.

There.s evidence for non-stop powerholding... And the only theories about that are related to avi's kids. However, at the WT, Rand was being shielded - and by a full circle of 13. it was a circle like that that shielded him - in his own words - easily. And there's another circle the same size.present there to help if the other 13 fail. And its bevause of his mindset that all 26 woman are terrified of him, and its the same mindset that causes egwene to think he could break through.

I posted this on another forum, but it fits here so here it is. Remember when Dark Rand banished Cadsuane from his presence?

"Cadsuane. Do you believe that I could kill you? Right here? Right now? Without the power or sword. Do you believe that if I simply willed it, the Pattern would bend around me and stop your heart?"

This is what I was thinking. I mean, Cadsuane is probably the most experienced Aes Sedai alive not including Rand and the Forsaken. She probably knows more than most Browns know, perhaps even more than Siuan! But even despite all this knowledge, she faltered and feared he actually could. And she's the sternest, most unflinching AS of them all.

The point is, is that if she of all people believes it's possible, then it very well could be.

I'm in the middle of my first reread of book 10 COT, and in the beginning of ch 12, Elane makes a comment that Galad had a thing for Nynaeve. Was he ever interested in Nynaeve or is Elayne just under the misconception that he liked Nynaeve? I just remember him being interested in Egwene until he meets Berlaine?

"Galad fancied Nynaeve or had for a time, it was hard to imagine he still felt that way, with him a whitecloak"

I'm in the middle of my first reread of book 10 COT, and in the beginning of ch 12, Elane makes a comment that Galad had a thing for Nynaeve. Was he ever interested in Nynaeve or is Elayne just under the misconception that he liked Nynaeve? I just remember him being interested in Egwene until he meets Berlaine?

"Galad fancied Nynaeve or had for a time, it was hard to imagine he still felt that way, with him a whitecloak"

Yeah, it was strange that. It is in tGH, Galad does seem to have a thing for Nynaeve, but it is really short and next thing we know he is going for Egwene.

VoG? Don't think that stands for anything. What are you talking about? And besides, he never stops having it, no asha'man does, its a natural effect of channeling saidin(with or without the taint). You just get used to it after a while.

VoG? Don't think that stands for anything. What are you talking about? And besides, he never stops having it, no asha'man does, its a natural effect of channeling saidin(with or without the taint). You just get used to it after a while.

VoG = "Veins of Gold", the last chapter in tGS with Rand on Dragonmount.

The "channeling sickness" being referred to is what used to happen to Rand whenever he reached for or let go of the power.

There is no "natural effect" from channeling Saidin with the taint gone now.

What was happening to Rand was not normal channeling sickness. That usually occurs when someone uses the power for the first time without training. It's a sickness that comes on, within days to a week, after having done so and only about 1 in 4 actually survive it. Which btw, Rand did experience back in tEotW chapter 33.

Nynaeve went through it many years previous when she had healed Egwene of breakbone fever. We are also told of other Wisdom apprentice's who died from it. We then get an explanation by Moiraine. All this was in tEotW chapter 21.

One popular theory is that Rand has/had this sickness because of his bond with Moridin.

A popular theory as to why he no longer seems to go through this is that, like his children in Avi's visions, he simply holds the power 24/7 now.

The counter to this theory is that he did not seem to be effected by it when he passed within the guardians influence at Far Madding.

Edited by Finnssss

No, even after Saidin was cleansed, when Rand and the others channeled to test it out, they still got the sick, stomach-lurching feeling. But aside from that, once they were actively channeling, it felt cleaner.

No, even after Saidin was cleansed, when Rand and the others channeled to test it out, they still got the sick, stomach-lurching feeling. But aside from that, once they were actively channeling, it felt cleaner.

Not correct, the sickness Rand got from the link was something different entirely...

That wasn't channeling sickness. That was another kind of sickness caused by the other person channeling, not channeling themselves.

Edynol, leave it mate. You are wrong on this, it is the sickness when Rand would grab or let go of Saidin. It has long been held that the link to Moridin is responsible and it is what is being discussed when talking about Rand's sickness in this tread.

Edited by Suttree

I was defiantly talking about the Moridin link sickness not Saidin, he no longer feels the effects of the taint because of the light barrier that Nynaeve saw.

I haven't heard of the theory of him permantly holding the Power, but it makes sense as he only felt sick and saw Moridin when he reached for Saidin.

On another note I wonder what Moridin is feeling like after VoG? maybe Rand can influence Moridin's philosphy that all is doomed and help Moridin betray the Dark One? That would be cool.

Edit: Maybe for the Far Madding guardian's as the counter arguement it only stops people embracing the source not holding on to it? I'm probably wrong about this

Edited by ChaosBorn

That wasn't channeling sickness. That was another kind of sickness caused by the other person channeling, not channeling themselves.

The proof is in ToM chapter 46 "Working Leather"

It's a rare PoV from a male channeler other than Rand. Androl makes it absolutely clear that channeling Saidin is wonderfully clean with no adverse effects from doing so other than what the "damage" the taint had already done to him (the creeping shadows).

I have a feeling you are confusing the sickness that Grady and Neald suffered that was detailed in ToM chapter 2. That was from snake bites received during a "Bubble of Evil".

Edited by Finnssss

You also have to take into consideration that he was ignoring the gut wrenching feeling because he got used to it. Even before the taint was cleansed most of them stopped mentioning it or thinking about it because it was the norm.