DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

The world is on the brink the DO is growing stronger. I know people think he cannot break free completely without Rand to free him, but really would it matter if he was not completely free? The world surely cannot take much more of his influence. And if the DR was killed this turning, who and how would he be resealed, before the age of Legends comes again? Would someone else seal him? Would Rand be born again in the next age? And if so what if he is killed in that one too and the next and so on?

I don't think we know all the answers that has to do with who wins and how. The champion of the light has turned, so I guess someone else might be able to undo the Bore - unless, of course, the CoL was killed by the light's side and then summoned by the horn (or something like that?).

But what, in your opinion would happen if Rand was killed in chapter 1 of aMoL the state of the world being how it was left at the end of ToM. It is made pretty clear that no one else can seal the bore or IMO seems that way to me.

Your idea about the horn is interesting, but, throws up more questions like, would Rand be able to be summoned by the horn if balefired?

Edit: forget the first part you already say it unknown.

Edited by damandred

But what, in your opinion would happen if Rand was killed in chapter 1 of aMoL the state of the world being how it was left at the end of ToM. It is made pretty clear that no one else can seal the bore or IMO seems that way to me.

I don't know, but the Bore needs to be undone somehow, given the cyclic nature of the Wheel (and there are other reasons too). Is there a quote that says noone else can undo the Bore in any turning but the Dragon reborn? (It's probably the Dragon in this turning, I believe.)

Your idea about the horn is interesting, but, throws up more questions like, would Rand be able to be summoned by the horn if balefired?
I don't know. Edited by Nightstrike

I don't know, but the Bore needs to be undone somehow, given the cyclic nature of the Wheel (and there are other reasons too). Is there a quote that says noone else can undo the Bore in any turning but the Dragon reborn? (It's probably the Dragon in this turning, I believe.)

Non that I have seen.

I don't know.

Damm

Which individual/group started the rumors about Mat? And when & where did they start?

Have they been heard anywhere besides Caemlyn?

Most likely, it was Olver talking to the Redarm's who in turn spread them while on leave.

The clues are out there. Olver telling Mat that he only discusses those things with the Redarms and Mat thinking about how his soldiers like to brag about him to one up the other Merc companies.

Remember, Olver knows everything about Mat from that night in the tent in KoD with Thom and Noel after Mat reads Mo's letter.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if Thom has also had a hand in encouraging some of them as well.

Edited by Finnssss

The world is on the brink the DO is growing stronger. I know people think he cannot break free completely without Rand to free him, but really would it matter if he was not completely free? The world surely cannot take much more of his influence. And if the DR was killed this turning, who and how would he be resealed, before the age of Legends comes again? Would someone else seal him? Would Rand be born again in the next age? And if so what if he is killed in that one too and the next and so on?

I don't think we know all the answers that has to do with who wins and how. The champion of the light has turned, so I guess someone else might be able to undo the Bore - unless, of course, the CoL was killed by the light's side and then summoned by the horn (or something like that?).

It might be that only Rand could seal it up permanently, but that without Rand others might be able to patch it up, temporarily. Long enough for the Dragon to be Reborn Again. Killing Rand is not enough - in a world with rebirth, even if the others cannot win without him they can delay until he comes back.

It might be that only Rand could seal it up permanently, but that without Rand others might be able to patch it up, temporarily. Long enough for the Dragon to be Reborn Again. Killing Rand is not enough - in a world with rebirth, even if the others cannot win without him they can delay until he comes back.

This is probably the only feasible explanation for this problem that, up to now has been put forward(that I've heard). But it still does seems to go against prophesy

Don't feel bad, damandred...this is something I've racked my brains about as well.

In fact, I had a topic on the matter: Stalemates

Actually, I see you posted on it as well!

I still have yet to get a satisfactory answer, though.

What FEELS right here is the key to either opening the Bore completely or re-sealing it to a point where it's as if it was never there is the Dragon Reborn. Thus, when the Dragon dies before the last battle, we have Satan touching the world in his own way, but never truly able to do more. The Dark One seems to need the CoL to get whatever it is he needs to get out, and if we use the game mentioned previously as a set of "rules", the Dragon being completely on the side of the Light can still mean ultimate failure FOR the Light.

My confusion is if the Dark One has had partial victories in other turnings, how did he eventually get re-sealed to a point where we have the Age of Legends, with no idea of "evil" even present in the population? Or are there some turnings where every age must deal with him, and this particular turning followed a previous turning where the CoL did in fact win?

~EDIT spelling again. Sorry.

Edited by Dreggs Morlock

When was Verin captured and turned to the Black Ajah? Was it before TEOTW or sometime during the series of books?

Verin was never turned in a 13x13 sense, she made the conscious decision to join in order to study it from the inside.

TGS

Now, there are some things you need to know. A number of years ago, I faced a decision. I found myself in a position where I could either take the oaths to the Dark One, or I could reveal that I had actually never wanted—or intended—to do so, whereupon I would have been executed.

"Perhaps another would have found a way around this situation. Many would have simply opted for death. I, however, saw this as an opportunity. You see, one rarely has such a chance as this, to study a beast from inside its heart, to see really what makes the blood flow. To discover where all of the little veins and vessels lead. Quite an extraordinary experience."

When was Verin captured and turned to the Black Ajah? Was it before TEOTW or sometime during the series of books?

She wasn't "turned". She was studying them and found herself faced with actually taking the oaths or being found out and killed. That, i believe, is the "mistake" she refers to several times that she made 70 (?) years ago. So it was way before. Someone could probably provide the specific passages.

EDIT: i see Suttree already did

Edited by mandersen

When did Rand learn about Egwene succeeding Eliada? I guess sometime before his discussion with Siuan and sometime after entering the tower/city/villages.

Did Rand also learn about the circumstances leading to Egwene's succeeding?

When Rand asked to meet the Amyrlin, did he use the title or her name?

Which was Rand referring to when he said "she"/"her" to Almen: Egwene, Eliada, or the title?

When did Rand learn about Egwene succeeding Eliada? I guess sometime before his discussion with Siuan and sometime after entering the tower/city/villages.

He may have learnt about it immediately after entering Tar Valon city/ villages. It's not secret.

Did Rand also learn about the circumstances leading to Egwene's succeeding?

Again, the Seanchan raid and following events happened in the open with many servants, soldiers, citizens floating around,

The city would have been buzzing with it.

When Rand asked to meet the Amyrlin, did he use the title or her name?

We don't know, maybe both. Would have to read the Silviana section again carefully.

Which was Rand referring to when he said "she"/"her" to Almen: Egwene, Eliada, or the title?

Have we met any MCs who started channeling post-cleansing? IE, an MC who has, and will channel, with out the affect of the taint at all?

Apart from Emerin, I don't think so, but there are probably plenty of them at the BT by now.

Have we met any MCs who started channeling post-cleansing? IE, an MC who has, and will channel, with out the affect of the taint at all?

Apart from Emerin, I don't think so, but there are probably plenty of them at the BT by now.

Do we have an Emerin Pov? I'm not familiar with him...

No Ema4in PoVs - he appears in KoD as Rand's host in the manor which is attacked. He features again in ToM as a newbie at the BT. But he's seen only from the PoV of others'.

We also see several other newby male channelers in ToM.

Many of them may be post-cleansing but we don't know for sure.

In TEOTW, Chapter 18: The Caemlyn Road, Mat speaks in the Old Tongue. Later, this is explained as being the result of the "old blood" or some such. However, none of the other main characters, or indeed any of the sub-characters from the Two Rivers have displayed this ability, besides Rand. (As far as I can remember)

Mat does this before he even gets to Shadar Logoth or anywhere near any doorframe ter'angreal. So, what gives? Did he originally have access to memories from previous lives or what?

Iirc, Egwene was also described as on the brink of understanding what Mat said in the Old Tongue. And that happened several times during TEOTW too.

But other than that, I dont think others have displayed that ability. Not even Rand afaik?