DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

It looks like Elayne might be the first in a verrrrry long time - I don't recall reading anything suggesting anyone does. I'd imagine having to bury your husband, children and grandchildren would be a fairly heavy price. It's probably one of those customs that's so old it's treated as law.

They did in the Age of Legends though, and didn't seem to have that problem, although that's probably because there were plenty of male Aes Sedai around so they wouldn't have to bury their husbands - and children of channelers would probably be channelers as well, so their children would outlive them. I would be curious to know though: how likely is it for a channeler to have children who can channel with a non-channeler? Maybe another reason why Aes Sedai don't have children, is that if they did, their boys would tend to be able to channel. How horrible that would be, having to watch your own son gentled!

I would be curious to know though: how likely is it for a channeler to have children who can channel with a non-channeler? Maybe another reason why Aes Sedai don't have children, is that if they did, their boys would tend to be able to channel. How horrible that would be, having to watch your own son gentled!

Well it is genetic but the percentages are still fairly small I would think.

One thing to note however is the Ayyad have been exclusively breeding channelers in Shara for a very long time now. If there is sexual congress between an Ayyad and non channeler it is punishable by death. This would indicate there is a higher percentage of channelers in that country and they are a pretty big wild card at this point.

You wouldn't need to hold the Source, but you would need to be able to. In a stedding you couldn't hold the Power, so you couldn't sense if someone was a channeler there. Outside of a stedding, a woman could sense another woman's ability to channel with neither of them holding the Source.

Is there a source for this? I just don't remember reading this anywhere and was wondering where you got it from.

My impressions are similar, in that a channeler doesn't need to hold the source to detect one's ability to channel, but I am wondering about that second part.

BWB

Ogier stedding seem to be shielded in some unknown way that completely prevents the One Power from being channeled, or even sensed, within their boundaries; attempts to wield the One Power from outside a stedding have no effect inside it.

I didn't take this assumption. Not being able to sense the power (as if it didn't exist at all) is not the same as sensing someone's (woman to woman) ability or capacity to hold and channel the power. Otherwise the AS wouldn't be able to sense girls with the potential to become AS until after they channelled. Cadsuane is another example of this, I do assume that she was found in Far Madding (a Stedding for all intents and purposes - minus the trees and Ogier of course) by an AS before she could channel, she is never referred to as a wilder.

You wouldn't need to hold the Source, but you would need to be able to. In a stedding you couldn't hold the Power, so you couldn't sense if someone was a channeler there. Outside of a stedding, a woman could sense another woman's ability to channel with neither of them holding the Source.

Is there a source for this? I just don't remember reading this anywhere and was wondering where you got it from.

My impressions are similar, in that a channeler doesn't need to hold the source to detect one's ability to channel, but I am wondering about that second part.

BWB

Ogier stedding seem to be shielded in some unknown way that completely prevents the One Power from being channeled, or even sensed, within their boundaries; attempts to wield the One Power from outside a stedding have no effect inside it.

I didn't take this assumption. Not being able to sense the power (as if it didn't exist at all) is not the same as sensing someone's (woman to woman) ability or capacity to hold and channel the power. Otherwise the AS wouldn't be able to sense girls with the potential to become AS until after they channelled. Cadsuane is another example of this, I do assume that she was found in Far Madding (a Stedding for all intents and purposes - minus the trees and Ogier of course) by an AS before she could channel, she is never referred to as a wilder.

I believe that Cadsuane went to TV on her own, to be tested

BWB

Not true, AS being able to sense "learners" is totally different as even though they have not channeled they have the potential to sense & touch the source.

To me it is similar to someone who has been burned out and can no longer even sense the source(unlike someone who has been stilled) like Setalle Anan not being able to use the adam at all. In a Stedding if you lose the ability to even sense the source, there is no potential to ever touch it, hence no once can tell if someone is capable of channeling.

Edit: As for comparing a stedding and the guardian there are differences. We know the TP works in FM while it does not in a stedding. This being the case there very well may be additional ones.

Knife of Dreams book tour 20 October 2005 – Robert Mee reporting

Stedding: Neither the One Power NOR the True Power will work in a stedding.

Thanks to Barid for providing this quote in a another thread!

Edited by Suttree

I'm rereading the series for the third time and am on EoTW. Does Thom ever explain how he killed that Myrddraal or what happened? Maybe I just missed it?

When Rand meets him in TGH at Barthane's manor, Thom mentions that he wasn't the one that the Fade wanted, or he may have fared much worse than getting a permanent limp out of the exchange. He was able to slow it down enough for them to get away without being killed himself. He did not kill it.

My last question::

In what state was Eliada's palace when the White Tower raised Egwene?

Edit::

And what is/was Egwene's decision about it?

I found this in another topic 'Thoughts on Logain' going around in forum..

She {Elaida} strode to the nearest window and stood staring down toward where her fantastical palace would rise to overtop the Tower itself. Eventually. If sisters could be convinced to work on it again. The heavy rain that had begun during the night was still falling, and it seemed unlikely she could see anything of that palace's foundations, all that had been completed so far.

I believe this is the last time progress on the Tower is mentioned, and it's very unlikely work started up again. It'll certainly have stopped after Egwene was declared Amyrlin. This is from Tarna's point of view, and I think the only time Elaida has a pov after this is when she is captured in tGS, and she is understandably quite unconcerned with her tower at that point.

Do any Aes Sedai have children?

There is one reference somewhere to the fact that Suian started having periods again after she was Stilled, along wiht losing Agelessness.

Given that she was in her early 40s, she shouldn't have stopped at all - especially given the Slowing associated with the OP.

The probable explanation is, the Oath Rod interferes with the natural processes of childbirth. This is not unlikely -- the OR was used to bind criminal channelers and this might have been by design. In that case, any AS who swears the Oaths would have a very small window of potential pregnancy, even assuming she indulged in sex.

Elayne got preggers and she's been exempted from taking the oaths because Egwene doesnl;t know what the effect would be on a pregnant woman.

There is one reference somewhere to the fact that Suian started having periods again after she was Stilled, along wiht losing Agelessness.

Can you quote this? The only reference I recall is the reference to Aes Sedai 'rarely' have children because of the difficulties involved in living the life of an Aes Sedai whilst having a child in tow, and the potential for heartache.

If this is true it may not be that Siuan resumed having periods, but rather resumed having them at a monthly interval. I've noted before as well that due to the finite number of ova that women have, its possible that the the space between fertile periods slows as a part of the slowing, which would make it less likely for fully slowed women to fall pregnant, and it would explain why those we've seen fall pregnant tend to be young pre-slowed or in the process-of-slowing women (Elayne, and to a degree Melaine, though the latter would likely be in the process of slowing). Amys too bore her children during that time frame, to the best of our knowledge.

If this is the case the odds of an Aes Sedai having sex in the brief infrequent fertile periods become fairly tall, especially when added to their general custom of not having children, or marrying... and too, it would make it possible that Siuan had not had a period in a fairly long while, thereby making the resumption of a normal cycle noteworthy. Of course all this depends on the specific wording of the quote.

I said somewhere (where, I don't know, I can't remember; those of you who know something of me know that I have frequent bouts of insomnia, and I lurk on message boards) that Padan Fain reminds me of Agent Smith in the Matrix trilogy, in that his presence means THIS turning of the wheel might be different from all others due to a "virus" called Fain.

My question is, has this been discussed here? I cannot find anything exactly like this via searches, but for all my time spent on the boards, I'm still a novice at what many of you take for granted.

If it has, could I get some links to see what others have had to say, please? If not, why not? It seems to me Fain has a huge role to play in the end-times.

Hello, long time lurker, first post:

So, what has been bothering for some time is Herid Fel, when talking to Rand in LoC about the seals, he says:

LoC, chapter 18

"No, it [the DO's prison] was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more".

Why should the DO's prison be whole again in the Third Age? Shouldn't it rather be the Age of Legends?

I guess this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any posts on it.

Can you quote this?

Hey boss, how are things? Red's post made me drop in here, and I caught this. I think we actually talked about this once. If I'm not mistaken, this is it:

Leane, on the other hand, in true Aes Sedai fashion embraced what had changed. A young woman again— Egwene had overheard a Yellow exclaiming in wonder that both were prime childbearing age, by everything she could find—she might never have been Keeper, never have had any other face.

Short question: Can someone tell me what's the total count of days past from day one in 2R all the way up to FoM?

See here and here.

So, what has been bothering for some time is Herid Fel, when talking to Rand in LoC about the seals, he says:

LoC, chapter 18

"No, it [the DO's prison] was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more".

Why should the DO's prison be whole again in the Third Age? Shouldn't it rather be the Age of Legends?

Possible answers: mistake from RJ (if so, it would likely have been corrected in later printings), mistake from Fel, the AoL is part of the Third Age (note that it is never referenced as the Second Age, not ir the "Age Before the Age of Legends ever called the First). Pick whichever answer you prefer.

LoC, chapter 18

Possible answers: mistake from RJ (if so, it would likely have been corrected in later printings), mistake from Fel, the AoL is part of the Third Age (note that it is never referenced as the Second Age, not ir the "Age Before the Age of Legends ever called the First). Pick whichever answer you prefer.

Hey Mr. Ares, thanks for your answer!

My copy is a reprint from the 1995 LoC edition, so I don't know if it has been corrected in later editions? And in the Glossary, it's stated: "Age of Legends: Age ended by the War of Shadow and the Breaking of the World". The name "Third Age" clearly implies that there were two other Ages before, and IMHO it wouldn't make any sense for Herid Fel (as a scholar and as someone clearly familiar with the concept of the Wheel and Ages) to refer to the current Age as the Third Age without knowing the names of the two ages that came before the Third Age. I mean, there has to be a reason why it's called the Third Age!