DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

yeah but don't you think Demandred would be using the whole Andor hate method with the Murandian soldiers?

Yeah, but I doubt they would have gated in. More likely they'll attack from the outside.

yeah but don't you think Demandred would be using the whole Andor hate method with the Murandian soldiers?

Yeah, but I doubt they would have gated in. More likely they'll attack from the outside.

yeah, I think it is a two tiered attack, that once troops start getting pulled back from the borders due to the caemlyn attack, murandy will sweep in. So even if the caemlyn attack itself is unsuccessful there is a followup attack that could destroy it (depending if the current attack seizes the gates and/or destroys them)

I am personally tempted to go out and get an extra copy of TGS and ToM, tear them appart and put them back together in chronological order.

Just so you know, Brandon did that on purpose so that many of the awesome scenes in TGS wouldn't be pushed back into ToM, leaving TGS with some Egwene in the tower, Perrin not making much progress, entirely Dark Rand, etc. It might have been another CoT, which a new author would be hard pressed to deal with. He wanted to 'hit it out of the park' with TGS (and after reading ToM it completely makes sense) so he included a great deal of the best scenes at the end of TGS out of sequence with a few others timeline-wise.

I know, and up until I started ToM I supported this decision, but now I would like a chronological copy of the books.

I am personally tempted to go out and get an extra copy of TGS and ToM, tear them appart and put them back together in chronological order.

Just so you know, Brandon did that on purpose so that many of the awesome scenes in TGS wouldn't be pushed back into ToM, leaving TGS with some Egwene in the tower, Perrin not making much progress, entirely Dark Rand, etc. It might have been another CoT, which a new author would be hard pressed to deal with. He wanted to 'hit it out of the park' with TGS (and after reading ToM it completely makes sense) so he included a great deal of the best scenes at the end of TGS out of sequence with a few others timeline-wise.

I know, and up until I started ToM I supported this decision, but now I would like a chronological copy of the books.

Same - I perfectly understand the reasoning and I believe it was the correct decision. But I too would like a chronological copy of the books. I think I will end up buying all three of the books that were going to make up AMoL as E-Books and then combine them into one chronologically linear book. Because in the final book I think we will be jumping back in time again to bring the Black Tower thread up to speed. I think these timeline issues were why RJ said he couldn't see any practical way to split the final book. Still I understand and support the splitting but will be good to make my own master book at the end.

Why does Rand refer to the Dark one as 'he'? has this been addressed in the books? It dosn't fit in my mind the idea of the dark one being an entity

Prolly cause the people of WotLand see him as male entity, or want to picture him as a male/man. You have Father of Lies, StormFather and so on... I don´t think I have read anyone calling the Dark One Mother of Lies or something along those lines.

A small, clear blue stone dangled from the chain, in the middle of her [Moiraine's] forehead. Many in the White Tower knew of the tricks she could do using that stone as a focus. It was only a polished bit of blue crystal, just something a young girl had used in her first learning, with no one to guide her. That girl had remembered tales of angreal and even more powerful sa’angreal—those fabled remnants of the Age of Legends that allowed Aes Sedai to channel more of the One Power than any could safely handle unaided—remembered and thought some such focus was required to channel at all. Her sisters in the White Tower knew a few of her tricks, and suspected others, including some that did not exist, some that had shocked her when she learned of them. The things she did with the stone were simple and small, if occasionally useful; the kind a child would imagine. But if the wrong women had accompanied the Amyrlin, the crystal might put them off balance, because of the tales.

If Moiraine was channeling on her own before she went to the Tower, why was she never referred to as a wilder by the other Aes Sedai? It seems like something that should have come up at least in NS when she and Siuan learn about the AS hierarchy, which places wilders a little lower than their actual strength in the Power. Yet Moiraine was never called a wilder or given any indication in her thoughts that it was something she'd kept secret from the other Aes Sedai.

If Moiraine was channeling on her own before she went to the Tower, why was she never referred to as a wilder by the other Aes Sedai? It seems like something that should have come up at least in NS when she and Siuan learn about the AS hierarchy, which places wilders a little lower than their actual strength in the Power. Yet Moiraine was never called a wilder or given any indication in her thoughts that it was something she'd kept secret from the other Aes Sedai.

I believe the connotation of "Wilder" is not a definition of someone who channles before becoming Aes Sedai, but rather a definition of someone who has channeled long enough to train themselves how to channel the OP without killing themselves. Basically, a "Wilder" is of the level of Accepted (if not full Aes Sedai in potential and skill), which is why Nyneve was raised to Accepted right away. I don't recall anyone thinking it was particularly odd that this was done with her, which leads me to believe that it had been done in the past with other "Wilders."

A small, clear blue stone dangled from the chain, in the middle of her [Moiraine's] forehead. Many in the White Tower knew of the tricks she could do using that stone as a focus. It was only a polished bit of blue crystal, just something a young girl had used in her first learning, with no one to guide her. That girl had remembered tales of angreal and even more powerful sa’angreal—those fabled remnants of the Age of Legends that allowed Aes Sedai to channel more of the One Power than any could safely handle unaided—remembered and thought some such focus was required to channel at all. Her sisters in the White Tower knew a few of her tricks, and suspected others, including some that did not exist, some that had shocked her when she learned of them. The things she did with the stone were simple and small, if occasionally useful; the kind a child would imagine. But if the wrong women had accompanied the Amyrlin, the crystal might put them off balance, because of the tales.

I'm not certain, but it may have been since she was a noble in addition to her potential channeling strength. In NS its obvious the AS want to put her on the throne of Cairhien. Sure they would be willing to look past all manner of things to have a AS on the throne of a major nation.

Edited by Suttree

Don't the Ath'an Miere refer to him as the Father of Storms? Or is my memory messing with me?

Your Search: father of storms

Matches Found: 4

Entries: 4

The Shadow Rising

Chapter 19

but toward a port where other Aes Sedai may serve the Father of Storms

A Crown of Swords

Chapter 13

the Father of Storms' touch

The Path of Daggers

Chapter 5

not the Father of Storms himself will be able to stand in his way

I believe the connotation of "Wilder" is not a definition of someone who channles before becoming Aes Sedai, but rather a definition of someone who has channeled long enough to train themselves how to channel the OP without killing themselves. Basically, a "Wilder" is of the level of Accepted (if not full Aes Sedai in potential and skill), which is why Nyneve was raised to Accepted right away. I don't recall anyone thinking it was particularly odd that this was done with her, which leads me to believe that it had been done in the past with other "Wilders."

I agree - every sparker isn't a wilder. A wilder would be a channeler with "some" control who isn't Tower-trained - she may/ may not be a sparker.

Many of the stronger AS would have been sparkers but just touching the source unaided isn't enough to qualify them as "wilders" in AS terminology.

OTOH the other channeling sororities like the Kin, the Aiel and the Athan Miere may have many members who have been taught to channel (not sparkers) and the AS would consider all of them wilders.

It's been noted a few times that Nynaeve's raising into Accepted right away was really extraordinary and definitely not the usual procedure for wilders. Here for example:

ACOS, Ch. 17

Joline suspected that was why she was in such a fury about Elayne and Egwene and the wilder Nynaeve; because they were stronger than she, because they had spent far less time as novices, no matter that they had been pushed ahead too fast. Why, Nynaeve had never been a novice at all, and that was completely unheard of.

Nynaeve's case was unique due to her strength in the One Power. On the other hand, Tarna Feir for example was a wilder yet spend nine years as a novice.

In eotw when Thom and Moiraine first meet each other: Do they know each other?

I guess Thom would know who she is. But her?

edit: Does Tam know about trollocs and fades?

Edited by Thorgan

I am new and I am sure that this has must've been answered somewhere, but I will ask here since I cannot find an answer.

In Avienda's trip to Rhuidien in ToM, are her visions of a possible future or are they visions of the future? In other words, if Rand takes care of the DO at TG, are the visions certain to come true?

Thanks!

I am new and I am sure that this has must've been answered somewhere, but I will ask here since I cannot find an answer.

In Avienda's trip to Rhuidien in ToM, are her visions of a possible future or are they visions of the future? In other words, if Rand takes care of the DO at TG, are the visions certain to come true?

Thanks!

We're not given a definite answer in the books, but the general concensious is that they are just a possible future that can now be avoided with Avi's knowledge and proper actions.

In eotw when Thom and Moiraine first meet each other: Do they know each other?

I guess Thom would know who she is. But her?

There does seem to be a hint that they might know each other, but they didn't say. I'm guessing that they did, and Moiraine followed Thom to the Two Rivers because of Min's viewing that they would marry. And thus by luck she ended up in the right place in the nick of time. I might write out the evidence for that on Theoryland.

Does Tam know about trollocs and fades?

Yes, though he says only from stories, that he's never fought them.

edit: Does Tam know about trollocs and fades?

From tEotW:

“But Trollocs are just. . . .” Rand let the words trail off. Not just a story, not after tonight. Those things could be Trollocs or the Dark One himself for all he knew. “Are you sure?” he whispered. “I mean . . . Trollocs?”

“I’m sure. Though what brought them to the Two Rivers....I never saw one before tonight, but I’ve talked with men who have, so I know a little. Maybe enough to keep us alive." (Tam)

Edited by WhiskyJack