DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Don't be too hard on yourself, Mat made the same mistake when he told Nynaeve immeaditely after he heard the promises “You just finished promising to do as I say." Of course, she was not amused. ;)

From the context it's apparent the promises were only about the stay in Ebou Dar, but I don't think that was said straight out. But later on Elayne hired the Band, so she'd have to give Mat some orders as its commander, and none of them thought the Ebou Dar promises would be a problem, so it's seems they considered them not binding any more.

Edited by David Selig

Don't be too hard on yourself, Mat made the same mistake when he told Nynaeve immeaditely after he heard the promises “You just finished promising to do as I say." Of course, she was not amused. ;)

From the context it's apparent the promises were only about the stay in Ebou Dar, but I don't think that was said straight out. But later on Elayne hired the Band, so she'd have to give Mat some orders as its commander, and none of them thought the Ebou Dar promises would be a problem, so it's seems they considered them not binding any more.

Pff... I´m not hard on myself. ; ) Oki, no binding then. I gotta say, those chapters were so much fun. And I always thought CoC was boring. Makes you wonder how much you forget or mix up when you haven´t read the series in a long time.

Thanks for your help.

I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer (or is it an unanswerable question?):

In NS, how did the black ajah figure that Tarna knew something important?

Also, in the first fight after Baerlon, do the Trollocs have orders to catch the boys alive? Seems odd nobody gets stabbed.

Also, in the first fight after Baerlon, do the Trollocs have orders to catch the boys alive? Seems odd nobody gets stabbed.

Just been rereading EotW- exactly right, the Trollocs were using catchpoles to capture at least the boys. I don't think they all would have survived a fight with real weapons... in fact Rand would have been killed on the deck of The Spray if he hadn't of unknowingly channeled (the Trolloc had a broken catchpole and was about to stab him with it).

Edited by mbuehner

I asked this earlier but didn't get an answer (or is it an unanswerable question?):

Do you mean Tamra Ospenya, the Amyrlin? Because there are no indication in NS that the Black Ajah suspected Tarna Feir (Accepted at the time) of anything, and she survived until the main series 20 years later.

Do you mean Tamra Ospenya, the Amyrlin? Because there are no indication in NS that the Black Ajah suspected Tarna Feir (Accepted at the time) of anything, and she survived until the main series 20 years later.

Yeah, I believe that is exactly who they meant.

It was a pretty crazy time in the Tower back then, so much crap going on. Amyrlin Seat's being murdered left and right by the Black Ajah and the Red Ajah (albeit, they were apparently tricked into this, presumably to protect their secret and illegal gentling practices at the time). The head of the Black Ajah, Jarna Malari, is killed outright by Ishamael (yes he was and has been in one of his "free from the seal" cycles for at least 20 years now).

As for Tamra Ospenya herself, the interrogation that led to her death, could have had something to do with the Black Ajah needing to find out more about her Keeper's (Gitara) foretellings. Especially pertaining to the Dragon being reborn. Siuan suspects that Gitara had earlier foretellings about the Dragon Reborn known to Tamra based on certain events and Tamra's actions and reactions to those events. It would not be too much of a stretch IMO that others would of picked up on this as well.

I'll surely be corrected if I'm mistaken but I do not believe we have ever actually been told outright why Tamra was interrogated. To gain knowledge of Gitara's foretellings is my best guess.

Edited by Finnssss

Anyways, just to clarify the Forsaken still around are:

Morridin

Demandred,

Graendal

Cyndane (Lanfear)

Moggy

A shell of Messana

Correct?

Are these the 6 remaining ToM in Egwene's dream? Messana isn't much of a tower in her current state. Maybe Taim and not Messana is the 6th tower.

Of course I meant Tamra, my bad.

As for Tamra Ospenya herself, the interrogation that led to her death, could have had something to do with the Black Ajah needing to find out more about her Keeper's (Gitara) foretellings. Especially pertaining to the Dragon being reborn. Siuan suspects that Gitara had earlier foretellings about the Dragon Reborn known to Tamra based on certain events and Tamra's actions and reactions to those events. It would not be too much of a stretch IMO that others would of picked up on this as well.

That makes sense :O

Morridin

Demandred,

Graendal

Cyndane (Lanfear)

Moggy

A shell of Messana

Correct?

Are these the 6 remaining ToM in Egwene's dream? Messana isn't much of a tower in her current state.

The dream was before then.

Is it just me, or do women in the series seem to cry for everything? Just so often. It's like, when in doubt, crack out a few tears. It's really bugged me, especially on this re-read. I am not a woman, so I can't truly be the best judge, but it really seems to me that the series really overdoes this stereotype.

considering the circumstances, no. end of the world, loved ones in danger, famine, mayhem, what have you. i'd be crying all the time.

(i thought you were possibly just commenting on something that bugged you, in the form of a question that isn't really a question, sorry.)

I'm somewhat confused on how last names are chosen in WoT. It seems to depend on country and/or circumstances. Does it go by father or by mother in Andor? Why is Gawyn Trakand but Galad is Damodred? If it goes by father they should both be Damodreds. If it goes by mother Galad should be Mantear. The other circumstances seem to be very similar. Galad's mother was daughter-heir of Andor, sure to become a queen some day and the high seat of her house. Gawyn's mother was already the queen but that seems to be the only difference.

Edited by herid

When Taringail became Morgase's husband, he married into House Trakand. Dobraine mentioned it in LoC:

She knows as well as any that the Lord Dragon means the Sun Throne for Elayne Trakand.” He grimaced. “Elayne Damodred, she should be. Taringail should have insisted Morgase marry into Damodred instead of marrying into Trakand himself

Thus all their children are Trakands. Maybe Tigraine married into House Damodred, though this seems unlikely given that she was the Daughter-Heir. More likely the marriage contract between Taringail and Tigraine has unique clauses because it was intended to bring long term peace between Andor and Cairhien - none of them really marrying into the other House, male children (or at least the elder of them) getting the family name Damodred (thus helping their claim for the Sun Throne), the female Mantear.

Morridin

Demandred,

Graendal

Cyndane (Lanfear)

Moggy

A shell of Messana

Correct?

Are these the 6 remaining ToM in Egwene's dream? Messana isn't much of a tower in her current state.

The dream was before then.

Yes, but it seems weird to dream about the 6 towers (6 foresaken left) and then one becomes useless soon after. I would've thought that her dream might indicate the tower representing Messana cracking or having useless defenses or something. anyways, i guess sometimes a dream is just a dream.

When Taringail became Morgase's husband, he married into House Trakand. Dobraine mentioned it in LoC:

She knows as well as any that the Lord Dragon means the Sun Throne for Elayne Trakand.” He grimaced. “Elayne Damodred, she should be. Taringail should have insisted Morgase marry into Damodred instead of marrying into Trakand himself

Thus all their children are Trakands. Maybe Tigraine married into House Damodred, though this seems unlikely given that she was the Daughter-Heir. More likely the marriage contract between Taringail and Tigraine has unique clauses because it was intended to bring long term peace between Andor and Cairhien - none of them really marrying into the other House, male children (or at least the elder of them) getting the family name Damodred (thus helping their claim for the Sun Throne), the female Mantear.

Ah, good catch! Thanks a lot. This does clarify the situation somewhat. So they can choose who marries into which house and it's not automatic as I thought. But as you say it is strange that Taringail did not marry into Mantear given that Tigraine was daughter-heir. The options you suggest about special clauses are possible but kind of murky and were certainly never explained.

I still wonder how the rest of the people (commoners and other nobles) choose last names. I think they mostly go by their father's last name but given that it's WoT, I'm not sure. Perrin and Faile did something weird which I didn't quite get.

He is now Perrin t'Bashere Aybara and she is Faile ni Bashere t'Aybara. Did Faile marry "into Perrin's House"? Perrin didn't even have a House at the time although he's got one now. will their kids be Aybaras or Basheres? I assume the former but it's not made very clear.

i have noticed this a couple of times in the forum, but whats the deal with Bela?

It's just a long running (and extremely played out) joke. Bela is the creator, Bela is the Dark One, Bela is the greatest fighter in the world, Bela will turn out to be the real Dragon reborn, etc. I'm not sure what started it but it's just meant to be an inside joke. Hopefully an inside joke that soon dies.

why did the one power felt weird around ebou dar in TPOD?

That was due to the massive amounts of saidin and saidar that was used with some (a sort of residue) still lingering around the area from the use of the Bowl of the Winds.

Did the bowl of wind really do any good?

You answered your own question, sort of. And yes, the Bowl did some good; it changed the weather which has been acting mostly normal since then. It was a victory against the Dark One because they manage to fix what he had altered.

That was due to the massive amounts of saidin and saidar that was used with some (a sort of residue) still lingering around the area from the use of the Bowl of the Winds.

Specifically, it was because they used the Bowl beyond its capacity:

Something Madic had said caught his ear. "The weather, Madic?" The shadows of the palace spires had barely lengthened from their bases, but there was not a cloud to shield the baking city.

"Yes, Great Master. It is called the Bowl of the Winds."

The name meant nothing to him. But... a ter’angreal to control the weather... In his own Age, weather had been carefully regulated with the use of ter’angreal. One of the surprises of this Age – one of the smaller, it had seemed – was that there were those who could manipulate weather to a degree that should have required one of those ter’angreal. One such device should not be enough to affect even a large part of a single continent. But what could these women do with it? What? If they used a ring?

The Path of Daggers book tour 21 November 1998, VA - John Novak reporting

The Bowl: Someone asked him whether, if men had helped the Aes Sedai and Windfinders and Kin channel through the Bowl, the One Power would still have been screwed up. His implicit assumption was that the Bowl screwed things up....He went into a relatively detailed explanation to the effect that the Bowl was stressed far, far beyond its original design parameters because of the advanced knowledge of the Windfinders. It was affecting a global pattern, when it was designed for only a small region. Men helping would not have changed anything, and the effects linger most strongly near Ebou Dar, but also along the "spokes" which radiated from that place.

And RJ is basically just repeating what he had Moridin thinking about in the book (which had just come out). Also worth noting is that they forced the Bowl to tap into the standing flows, which have supposedly dissipated according to Mesaana. Women should not be able to use saidin without even one man to provide the link to saidin - the Bowl is the only ter'angreal known to have done that - but they did it.

Yes, but it seems weird to dream about the 6 towers (6 foresaken left) and then one becomes useless soon after. I would've thought that her dream might indicate the tower representing Messana cracking or having useless defenses or something. anyways, i guess sometimes a dream is just a dream.

Dreams don't tell you everything. It was showing her how the Forsaken stood at that moment, not what would happen to them in the future. The next dream goes on to show her Mesaana, one of the six, infiltrating the Tower. It warned her of the danger, and because of that assurance - the rare occurrence of that feeling that lets her know what a dream means - she was able to bring Mesaana down. Dreams show possibilities more than certainties; the Seanchan attack, for example, was bound to happen, but Egwene could have prevented most of the damage if anyone had acknowledged her warnings or her authority in general. Mesaana was an example of what Egwene can do when she is free to act.

i have noticed this a couple of times in the forum, but whats the deal with Bela?

It's just a long running (and extremely played out) joke. Bela is the creator, Bela is the Dark One, Bela is the greatest fighter in the world, Bela will turn out to be the real Dragon reborn, etc. I'm not sure what started it but it's just meant to be an inside joke. Hopefully an inside joke that soon dies.

It came about because Bela is everywhere. She is the only horse aside from Mandarb or Aldieb that survives the Two Rivers and makes it to the Eye of the World, and along the way, she went with Perrin and Egwene through the Tinkers and the wolves and the Whitecloaks, and the Ways. She went with Egwene from Fal Dara to the Tower, and then to Falme (through the Ways again). She went back to the Tower with Egwene and Mat, and then left the Tower with Siuan and Min (which is how Gawyn noticed them - he saw 'her horse'). Ever since Bela has been Siuan's horse because Siuan can't handle any other, but Egwene rode Bela to the river to take Bode's place at the harbor chain (by that time RJ was probably just playing the crowd). In other words, she was the Dragon Reborn's horse first. Since then she's been the horse of two Amyrlins, one former and one future (but never the sitting Amyrlin aside from the harbor chain thing, or the sitting Dragon Reborn for that matter, though she was the object of Rand's first use of the Power). So obviously she is the Creator.

Have we ever seen examples of the supposed side effects of entering TAR in the flesh? I believe the wise ones said it makes you lose some of your humanity. RJ wouldn't have just thrown that it if there wasn't a reason. Egwene did it in spite of warning and we haven't seen anything amiss. Rand's done it a whole bunch of times. The only possible example i see would be Slayer (I assume he's entering in the flesh) and perrin doesn't think he smells human.

Have we ever seen examples of the supposed side effects of entering TAR in the flesh?

Nothing definitive.

The only possible example i see would be Slayer (I assume he's entering in the flesh) and perrin doesn't think he smells human.

Slayer can only enter in the flesh, but his inhuman smell is more likely a result of what was done to him at Shayol Ghul.