DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

In eotw when Thom and Moiraine first meet each other: Do they know each other?
One of Thom's POVs tells that nobles know about him and he knows about specific nobles. Do not remember the exact POV.

I'm guessing that they did, and Moiraine followed Thom to the Two Rivers because of Min's viewing that they would marry.
That Viewing I guess appeared when they arrived with the Two Rivers folk.

I'm guessing that they did, and Moiraine followed Thom to the Two Rivers because of Min's viewing that they would marry.

That's what most people assume, but there's really no basis for assuming it.

Is there a basis for assuming that Min would have seen the viewing and told Moiraine about it, prior to her going to the TR?

That would imply that Min not only saw the viewing but that she either saw Moi+ Thom together in real life and hence, could say "Hey, Mss! You're going to marry that gleeman."

Or that Min not only knew who Thom was, she could describe him in enough detail for Moiraine to know Thom's id.

Also given Moi's two decades worth of hunting, would she have deviated from her search in order to follow Thom to the TR?

If she was passing through Baerlon, she was probably headed for the TR anyways.

Seems much more likely that Min's vision was sparked after they fled the TR since she did see Moi + Thom together at that stage.

Is there a basis for assuming that Min would have seen the viewing and told Moiraine about it, prior to her going to the TR?

That would imply that Min not only saw the viewing but that she either saw Moi+ Thom together in real life and hence, could say "Hey, Mss! You're going to marry that gleeman."

Or that Min not only knew who Thom was, she could describe him in enough detail for Moiraine to know Thom's id.

Also given Moi's two decades worth of hunting, would she have deviated from her search in order to follow Thom to the TR?

If she was passing through Baerlon, she was probably headed for the TR anyways.

Seems much more likely that Min's vision was sparked after they fled the TR since she did see Moi + Thom together at that stage.

+1

Also, there is no reason to believe that Thom has ever been to the Stag and Lion before he got there with the Two Rivers party. He doesn't recognize the place (he comments on that specifically) and nobody there recognizes him. Master Fitch doesn't recognize him when they arrive and neither do the servants. When Perrin tells Ara that Thom is a gleeman, Ara says he realized that because he saw his cloak. There would certainly be no need for that exchange if they knew each other. So for Min to have seen Thom together with Moiraine before would be something completely improbable. and Min doesn't recognize Thom either, at least she shows no hint that she's seen him before. She is quite ready to tell Rand that she knows Moiraine and Lan and saw viewings about them yet she says nothing of the sort about Thom. she does mention (and so does master Fitch) that Moiraine was on the way to the Two Rivers when she stopped at their inn last time.

So for Min to have seen Thom together with Moiraine before would be something completely improbable

It's not completely improbable at all. The comments Brandon has made on it indicate that there is a funny story about why Thom showed up in Emond's Field in the middle of the night that was intended to be put in the prequels, and while it might be unrelated, it seems more likely it had something to do with Moiraine. Min could have easily left the Stag and Lion; it's not a convent.

She is quite ready to tell Rand that she knows Moiraine and Lan and saw viewings about them yet she says nothing of the sort about Thom.

Don't you think Moiraine would have asked her to keep it a secret?

When the 3 Taveren see Thom & Moiraine, there seems no indication of they meeting each other before coming to the village.

Nor has such a meeting slipped from their mouths at any time in the series; nor have either of them confided about it during any on-screen discussion with anyone, and no POV telling that such a discussion occurring off-screen.

I would guess either of these::

-that they stayed at different hotels while in Baerlon

-that one left while the other was arriving

Edited by mb

I'm guessing it had to do with the wilder from whom she earned her paralis net. I can't recall if there's a proper time-reference for when that occurred, however.

It was shortly after gaining the shawl so the timeline is about right, about 270 years ago. Cad's was born in 705NE, attained the shawl sometime between 725NE and 730NE. It is now 1002NE if I'm not mistaken.

Her name was Norla and basically kicked Cad's ass but took Cad's in and apparently trained her.

Cadsuane, by her own account, earned the Net from Norla, she didn't take it away from her. That definitely implies spending a lot of time with and being trained by Norla.

Cad's was prolly supposed to bring Norla in and didn't.

Edited by Finnssss

Actually 1000NE.

The main series started in 998NE.

Crown of Swords the Encyclopaedia site places at Mid Winter 1000NE.

I think we're well into 1001 though. According to every timeline I have seen Rand took the Laurel Crown of Illian in 1000 and that's quite a ways back at this point.

EDIT: On second look, I think you're right.

Looks like Rand took Illian early in the first month of 1000 and we're about 7 months in at the end of ToM.

Edited by Finnssss

When the 3 Taveren see Thom & Moiraine, there seems no indication of they meeting each other before coming to the village.

Thom obviously recognizes her for what she is, if not who she is. The point is, RJ left himself plenty of room to play with there. The fact that there is no evidence they had met before means nothing, because there is no evidence against.

I have been reading Towers of Midnight again and Elayne produces a letter that gives pardon to Thom's "crimes" both past and present. Thom wonders how she knew of it.

I know Thom was banished or something while he was with Morgase; was the crime Thom committed simply breaking Queen Morgase's heart? Or was it something else, like did Thom kill Taringail Damodred or something?

I have been reading Towers of Midnight again and Elayne produces a letter that gives pardon to Thom's "crimes" both past and present. Thom wonders how she knew of it.

I know Thom was banished or something while he was with Morgase; was the crime Thom committed simply breaking Queen Morgase's heart? Or was it something else, like did Thom kill Taringail Damodred or something?

Thom left to help his nephew, Owyn, but was too late, upon his return he gets into a heated argument with Morgase and is exiled.

Owyn was among a number of men gentled Illegally by the Red Ajah, that when discovered, led to the exiling of the Red sisters Toveine, Tsutama and Lirene.

As for the pardon, he was mostly referring to the part that included Cairhien. Where of course he killed King Galldrian (tGH chptr 38), which kicked off a civil war there that lasted until the Shaido attacked the City (tFoH chptr 30).

Edited by Finnssss

Do we know anything on how Rand being bonded affects Moridin?

Moridin seems to suffer from Rand's wounds. In TGS Graendal notes that Moridin's hand seems to be bother him.

Not sure if you understood what I was referring to. I realize there's a blending of sorts going on. What I'm curious about is how the bond with the superwomen and Alanna affects the situation. Does that give Moridin a boost of sorts too? or something along those lines?

Do we know anything on how Rand being bonded affects Moridin?

Moridin seems to suffer from Rand's wounds. In TGS Graendal notes that Moridin's hand seems to be bother him.

Not sure if you understood what I was referring to. I realize there's a blending of sorts going on. What I'm curious about is how the bond with the superwomen and Alanna affects the situation. Does that give Moridin a boost of sorts too? or something along those lines?

I don't think we've seen anything of that in Moridin. AFAIK, the only indications of the bond affects through the link (if that's what they are) are related to Taim=Moridin theory. There are a couple of instances where Taim is described as having something like warder's grace (see the link above). Since Taim is not a swordsman and has not bonded anybody this is used as one of the arguments in favor of Taim being Moridin. But I don't remember anything similar when Moridin is described directly. I have not looked for such signs in Moridin though so they might be present.

Either way, Cad's 270 year comment coincides with her run in with Norla.

Thanks guys, now I know. =)

Man a female Swede calling herself a pet.. too good to be true.

Pff, I am a female, women, girl w/e you wanna call it. I´m Swedish too, lol. So it´s all good and true =)

And now for my question.

I know that Nynaeve and Elayne swore to obey Mat when they were in Ebou Dar (love those chapters) Did Elayne/Aviendha ever consider the toh being met or did Mat just release them?

Edited by Logains Pet

Elayne and Nynaeve never swore to obey Mat. This is what they promised:

ACOS, Ch.22

To show the depth of our regret, we undertake the following promises.” Aviendha had said an apology was only a beginning. “We will not belittle or demean you in any way, nor shout at you for any reason, nor . . . nor attempt to give you orders.” Nynaeve winced. Elayne’s mouth tightened too, but she did not stop. “Recognizing your due concern for our safety, we will not leave the palace without telling you where we are going, and we will listen to your advice.” Light, she had no wish to be Aiel, no wish to do any of this, but she wanted Aviendha’s respect. “If you . . . if you decide that we are . . .” Not that she had any intention of becoming a sister-wife—the very idea was indecent!—but she did like her. “. . . are putting ourselves in needless danger . . .” It was not Aviendha’s fault that Rand had caught both their hearts. And Min’s as well. “. . . we will accept bodyguards of your choosing . . .” Fate or ta’veren or whatever, what was, was. She loved both women like sisters. “. . . and keep them with us as long as possible.”

Elayne and Nynaeve never swore to obey Mat. This is what they promised:

ACOS, Ch.22

To show the depth of our regret, we undertake the following promises.” Aviendha had said an apology was only a beginning. “We will not belittle or demean you in any way, nor shout at you for any reason, nor . . . nor attempt to give you orders.” Nynaeve winced. Elayne’s mouth tightened too, but she did not stop. “Recognizing your due concern for our safety, we will not leave the palace without telling you where we are going, and we will listen to your advice.” Light, she had no wish to be Aiel, no wish to do any of this, but she wanted Aviendha’s respect. “If you . . . if you decide that we are . . .” Not that she had any intention of becoming a sister-wife—the very idea was indecent!—but she did like her. “. . . are putting ourselves in needless danger . . .” It was not Aviendha’s fault that Rand had caught both their hearts. And Min’s as well. “. . . we will accept bodyguards of your choosing . . .” Fate or ta’veren or whatever, what was, was. She loved both women like sisters. “. . . and keep them with us as long as possible.”

Lol, my mind conjured all that up to obedience. Anyhow, all those things, like listening to his advice and having bodyguards from time to time, all that was cleared right? They don´t have to listen to his advice anymore?