DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Egwene heals herself in TAR on the way to Salidar (LoC, Ch 34) but Perrin can't do the same when fighting Slayer in ToM and Slayer also claims that it can't be done. Is there a difference? or is this a mistake?

Egwene heals herself in TAR on the way to Salidar (LoC, Ch 34) but Perrin can't do the same when fighting Slayer in ToM and Slayer also claims that it can't be done. Is there a difference? or is this a mistake?

I'm not sure. Egwene was in TaR in the flesh at that point and Perrin was dreaming. I seem to recall that Perrin's injury was a bit more severe than Egwene's was, and that he succeeded in making it feel better for a short time before it came back to him. It might have to do with where the injuries occurred, as Egwene was able to heal injuries from the real world in TaR, but Perrin suffered those injuries in TaR and couldn't heal them? Verin still has that scar that never healed properly that was from an injury in TaR.

Actually, Isam seemed to say that it could be done, and implied he knew how to, but Perrin only managed to replenish his blood supply:

"You can’t heal yourself," Slayer said. "There are ways, but simply imagining yourself well does not work. You do seem to have figured out how to replenish your blood, however, which is useful."

All the distinctions Sid brought up still apply, though.

I'm not sure. Egwene was in TaR in the flesh at that point and Perrin was dreaming. I seem to recall that Perrin's injury was a bit more severe than Egwene's was, and that he succeeded in making it feel better for a short time before it came back to him. It might have to do with where the injuries occurred, as Egwene was able to heal injuries from the real world in TaR, but Perrin suffered those injuries in TaR and couldn't heal them? Verin still has that scar that never healed properly that was from an injury in TaR.

Also if its possible Moggy didn't know how when shot by Birgettes arrow....

Well that was 20 years ago. Not sure how old Caraline is but I get the impression she's mid 30s? So she would have been quite young at that point. I know you do get young monarchs, but maybe she just lacked ambition when she was that young.

Yeah, Caraline was probably too young back then - her age is never given, but she looks an awful lot like Moiraine, who had slowed. Given the cutthroat politics in Cairhien and the dire situation the country was after the Aiel War, I doubt someone under 18 would've had a chance to gather enough support for the throne.

Besides, IIRC only Moiraine's siblings were discussed in NS out of Damodred's possible claimants. Galad and Barthanes weren't mentioned either.

Galad wasn't mentioned because he was way too young. His father was, though by law he couldn't ascend.

Barthanes, I'm not sure about.

Anyhow, Moiraine wasn't asked about her siblings alone, she was asked who would ascend to the Sun Throne. She said she thought it might pass on to another House, because she couldn't see any real candidates from House Damodred (excepting herself, of course).

And I have to say, I got the impression that Caraline was older than you say. Curious.

Well I don't recall any mention of grey in her hair, and most people go grey in their 40s (people I know at any rate, althought maybe that says something about my effect on people) so she's probably under 40. Plus she's never been married. I know this is WoT where woman aren't given a wed by date like in our past, but still this is Cairhien and marriage is a powerful tool in politics so I don't think she'd have left it too too late.

Actually, Isam seemed to say that it could be done, and implied he knew how to, but Perrin only managed to replenish his blood supply:

"You can’t heal yourself," Slayer said. "There are ways, but simply imagining yourself well does not work. You do seem to have figured out how to replenish your blood, however, which is useful."

the strange thing is that this is exactly what Egwene did and it worked for her. Also, as far as I understand, Slayer is in TAR in the flesh just as Egwene was on her trip to Salidar so whatever worked for her should work for him too.

I'm not sure. Egwene was in TaR in the flesh at that point and Perrin was dreaming. I seem to recall that Perrin's injury was a bit more severe than Egwene's was

I really don't think that's it. Egwene was switched quite soundly and she apparently got rid of her injuries while in TAR completely, she had a pretty long ride too.

, and that he succeeded in making it feel better for a short time before it came back to him.

It might have to do with where the injuries occurred, as Egwene was able to heal injuries from the real world in TaR, but Perrin suffered those injuries in TaR and couldn't heal them?

yes, I've thought about that but it seems strange why this should matter.

Verin still has that scar that never healed properly that was from an injury in TaR.

that's a different matter. I was only asking about healing yourself while in TAR. when Egwene got back to the real world whatever she did to herself in TAR disappeared.

Also if its possible Moggy didn't know how when shot by Birgettes arrow....

true. but this is a different situation too. as I mentioned, the changes that Egwene made to herself didn't last after she left TAR and the same would be certainly be true for Moggy. she would have to heal her body in real world else she was going to die while asleep even if she could heal herself in TAR.

Edited by herid

Slayer couldn't heal his own injury (arrow wound: TSR) taken in TAR either, apparently. He was there in the flesh. He was hurt, instead of healing himself, he came out of TAR as Lord Luc with the wound and ran for it, still carrying the wound.

Maybe he learned whatever the method was, later.

Or, he was lying when he spoke to Perrin.

Moggy knows a lot about TAR but not very much about Healing apparently. She may not have known this specific trick, if it exists.

Egwene only "healed" her injuries from the waking world, while she was in TAR.

The second she stepped out of TAR in Salidar, every one of those injuries returned at once. That is made quite clear.

It is only wounds obtained in TAR that are unhealable there and also hard to heal completely in the waking world.

So...is there an estimate on how far away Rand was from the hills while destroying that giant army of trollocs at Maradon?

I mean in the book it says there are trolloc corpses in a pile 150 metres wide and 1.5 meters tall.

"It was odd, but Ituralde hadn't been able to spot a single fallen tower atop the hill."

I believe that would mean Rand's been killing trollocs anywhere up to the hill. Now I would guess that the pile get's lower and lower while going up the hill. So if someone could give me an estimate on about how far Rand was from the hills we would know how many trollocs died that day...

PS:If someone has already tried this then could I get a link?

if a channeler is 13x13'd over to the DO's side, do they just become an evil person, or is it more akin to compulsion i.e., follow all orders from DF, BA, and the Chosen?

I think it basically brings out all the worst in a person, and completely suppresses their good side. I wonder how that would work on Egwene? (joking,joking)

if a channeler is 13x13'd over to the DO's side, do they just become an evil person, or is it more akin to compulsion i.e., follow all orders from DF, BA, and the Chosen?

it would be the former. RJ explained the effects in an interview

Week 15 Question: When a channeler is forcibly turned to the Dark, is his/her former personality lost to eternity? Are they in a permanent state of mindless Compulsion? Furthermore, can a channeler forcibly turned to the Dark return to the Light unaided?

Robert Jordan Answers: They are not in a mindless state of Compulsion. Their former personality is twisted, the darker elements that everyone has to some degree elevated while what might be called the good elements are largely suppressed. I don't mean things like courage, which is useful even to villains, but they are unlikely to be very charitable, for example, and forget any altruistic impulses. Call it being turned into a mirror image of yourself in many ways. It is very unlikely that a channeler forcibly turned to the Shadow could find a way back to the Light unaided. For one reason, by virtue of the twisting he or she had undergone, it is very unlikely that he or she would have any desire to do so.

Week 15 Question: When a channeler is forcibly turned to the Dark, is his/her former personality lost to eternity? Are they in a permanent state of mindless Compulsion? Furthermore, can a channeler forcibly turned to the Dark return to the Light unaided?

Robert Jordan Answers: They are not in a mindless state of Compulsion. Their former personality is twisted, the darker elements that everyone has to some degree elevated while what might be called the good elements are largely suppressed. I don't mean things like courage, which is useful even to villains, but they are unlikely to be very charitable, for example, and forget any altruistic impulses. Call it being turned into a mirror image of yourself in many ways. It is very unlikely that a channeler forcibly turned to the Shadow could find a way back to the Light unaided. For one reason, by virtue of the twisting he or she had undergone, it is very unlikely that he or she would have any desire to do so.

Thanks Herid!

Unaided....

My money is on Rand to "heal" these people.

Edited by Master Ablar

Came across this quote earlier...

Q: Why couldn't Moghedien escape the leash with the True Power?

RJ: The a'dam would perceive any Power use and treat it accordingly.

Been a while since I've read TGS but didn't Rand do just that to escape the bands?

Edited by Suttree

Been a while since I've read TGS but didn't Rand do just that to escape the bands?

Yes it is. Which means that either RJ misspoke (or, more likely, was mis-quoted) or Brandon and Team Jordan missed that quote. Or I guess they could say that the Domination Band was slightly different than the female a'dam.

Yes it is. Which means that either RJ misspoke (or, more likely, was mis-quoted) or Brandon and Team Jordan missed that quote. Or I guess they could say that the Domination Band was slightly different than the female a'dam.

It's a verbatim quote from a letter sent to a fan, so I think RJ either changed his mind later or the Domination Band works differently.

It's a verbatim quote from a letter sent to a fan, so I think RJ either changed his mind later or the Domination Band works differently.

We have always known that the Domination Bands work differently than the a'dam. Mogy gave us plenty of insight on that front in tSR chptr 54.

Edited by Finnssss

To me destroying the male adam seems more accurate than escape. Escape to me would have been leaving it whole.

Not entirely sure, but the female adam might also be able to be destroyed by its damane. Do not have a quote.