DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

How does Alivia join Rand's group? I went back and re-read everything leading up to it, and found no clues. She just suddenly appears at the beginning of tGS.

She has been more or less with him since Nynaeve brought her to Far Madding. She was with the group that went against Semirhage at the end of KOD.

Yeah I double-checked that section too, and Rand sent back all of Sermi's surviving damane/sul'dam as a show of peace.

According to Wikipedia, Alivia was captured at the battle of Altara but I don't see any information about captured damane there either.

Edited by Toy'varen

Not sure if these are easy answers or not:

1. What does "pillow friend" mean?

2. If it means what I think it means, where's the male "pillow friends?"

1. Pillow friends are lesbian relations between women of the White Tower. In most cases those are ended when the women gain the shawl, but for example Galina made advances toward Pevara even when she had attained the shawl.

2. As pillow friends are an "Aes Sedai thing" male ones don't exist. That does not mean there not being other woman - woman or man - man relationships, it just is something that is not hinted much at.

There is a good post on this topic at the 13th Depository.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How many trollocs have appeared "on screen?" How many trollocs total can be extrapolated from this? My guess would be 1-2 million have died so far, hinting that there may be 10 million+ reserves/in-training.

2. Given the relatively small population of the Borderlands and the lack of food in the Blight, how can that many trollocs be fed?

Brandon indicated that they have to get food from elsewhere. Sharans probably make good food.

I have been wondering about this lately, too. Even if they feed on Sharans - they can not possibly feed several millions by feeding from humans. Each trolloc would need more than one human in his life too grow up, more like 20 or even a hundred. For 1 million trollocs we would need something between 20 and 100 million eaten humans. If we talk about 10 million in reserve - up to 1 billion humans eaten in a time of maybe twenty years.

That number just doesn't make sense at all. Especially as we know that the Shadow does not even have enough humans too create weapons for Myrdraal - which I believe is far more important than feeding trollocs.

There must be some other way trollocs are feed - some kind of organization dedicated to growing life stocks to feed the trollocs somewhere in the Blight.

How does Alivia join Rand's group? I went back and re-read everything leading up to it, and found no clues. She just suddenly appears at the beginning of tGS.

During the Path of Daggers Rand leads a small army against the Seanchan in Altara. In that battle several damane and sul'dam are captured. Rand has Taim deliver these women to Elayne. Amongst these women is Alivia, who is one of the first damane to throw of the shackles. When Nynaeve decides to join Rand for the cleansing Alivia learns of it and decides to join, feeling she owes Rand a debt for freeing her.

Not sure if these are easy answers or not:

1. What does "pillow friend" mean?

2. If it means what I think it means, where's the male "pillow friends?"

Pillow Friends are the colloquial term for a lesbian relationship in the White Tower (kind of like the real world equivelent of a Friend of Dorothy, though that referred to gay men). There are different terms in different lands, which was confirmed by RJ, and it's likely that the Seanchan use the phrase Heart Friends, though that may only apply to damane.

We don't know any of the male equivelent, though I suggested to Brandon the term 'Bedfellows'. I thought it fit. :D

1. How many trollocs have appeared "on screen?" How many trollocs total can be extrapolated from this? My guess would be 1-2 million have died so far, hinting that there may be 10 million+ reserves/in-training.

2. Given the relatively small population of the Borderlands and the lack of food in the Blight, how can that many trollocs be fed?

I've always been confused by the perception that there is no food in the Blight. From what we see in the Eye of the World, the Blight a thriving, albeit unpleasent, ecosystem. It's essentially tropical, and thoroughly populated with all sorts of animals, and as for the nastiness... the Trollocs are subject to the same taint... why would it hurt them?

Yes, humans cannot eat things from the Blight... but Trollocs surely could.

Hello! So here's my question: the chapter summaries online for TEotW suggest that Mat leaves the Two Rivers with a Two Rivers longbow in hand (Chapter 10). I don't own the first book, so what I want to ask is: when does he lose it? I'm drawing some fan art of Rand and Mat making their way to Caemlyn (oh so many years ago ...), but I can't decide whether to include the longbow in the drawing. Thanks in advance!

Hello! So here's my question: the chapter summaries online for TEotW suggest that Mat leaves the Two Rivers with a Two Rivers longbow in hand (Chapter 10). I don't own the first book, so what I want to ask is: when does he lose it? I'm drawing some fan art of Rand and Mat making their way to Caemlyn (oh so many years ago ...), but I can't decide whether to include the longbow in the drawing. Thanks in advance!

I think he loses it in the flight from SL, at least I cant remember him having it after that point

Rand still has his bow in Shinear (tGH, Friends and Enemies, 25).

Whew, took a while but I found it. It's part of the scene where they rode the farmer's cart all night along the Camelyn road to arrive at Camelyn in the morning (tEotW, Camelyn, 531):

Mat turned swiftly from (Bunt's) cart, hugging bow and quiver and blanketroll to his chest, muttering under his breath.

Also, Rand has his bow, Tam's sword, Thom's cloak/harp/flute, and saddlebags. Cloaks are also mentioned.

If I might make a suggestion, after the lightning strike at the crooked innkeeper's inn, Rand has to lead a blinded Mat along the road. That could make for a more dramatic picture.

By the time he is separated from his dagger though it's gone.

Edited by Toy'varen

Brandon indicated that they have to get food from elsewhere. Sharans probably make good food.

I have been wondering about this lately, too. Even if they feed on Sharans - they can not possibly feed several millions by feeding from humans. Each trolloc would need more than one human in his life too grow up, more like 20 or even a hundred. For 1 million trollocs we would need something between 20 and 100 million eaten humans. If we talk about 10 million in reserve - up to 1 billion humans eaten in a time of maybe twenty years.

That number just doesn't make sense at all. Especially as we know that the Shadow does not even have enough humans too create weapons for Myrdraal - which I believe is far more important than feeding trollocs.

There must be some other way trollocs are feed - some kind of organization dedicated to growing life stocks to feed the trollocs somewhere in the Blight.

There could very easily be Humans in the blight. Maybe in the form of a corrupt city or maybe kept like cattle by Myrdraal ranchers. Maybe both.

Rand still has his bow in Shinear (tGH, Friends and Enemies, 25).

Whew, took a while but I found it. It's part of the scene where they rode the farmer's cart all night along the Camelyn road to arrive at Camelyn in the morning (tEotW, Camelyn, 531):

Mat turned swiftly from (Bunt's) cart, hugging bow and quiver and blanketroll to his chest, muttering under his breath.

Also, Rand has his bow, Tam's sword, Thom's cloak/harp/flute, and saddlebags. Cloaks are also mentioned.

If I might make a suggestion, after the lightning strike at the crooked innkeeper's inn, Rand has to lead a blinded Mat along the road. That could make for a more dramatic picture.

By the time he is separated from his dagger though it's gone.

You are my hero! I really appreciate having the whole list.

The reason I am not drawing Rand leading a blinded Mat along the road is because Forbis on deviantART has already depicted that scene so epically that I couldn't compare: Escape The Dancing Cartman

There could very easily be Humans in the blight. Maybe in the form of a corrupt city or maybe kept like cattle by Myrdraal ranchers. Maybe both.

Where would they get the feed for their human cattle?

I think Lucker's explanation made the most sense. Just because the humans can't eat Blight-berries doesn't mean Shadowspan can't. A Worm might feed a thousand trollocs for weeks.

Where would they get the feed for their human cattle?

I think Lucker's explanation made the most sense. Just because the humans can't eat Blight-berries doesn't mean Shadowspan can't. A Worm might feed a thousand trollocs for weeks.

If they can raise humans they can raise other animals. I know, there are holes in that as well, just throwing it out there. Maybe there are things in the blight that would not kill humans to eat. Plus, if the Evil-Aiel from ToM could survive in the blight, I am sure there are ways for other non-shadowspawn to survive.

Plus, if the Evil-Aiel from ToM could survive in the blight, I am sure there are ways for other non-shadowspawn to survive.

I guess this leads to a new question: Were those confirmed as Aiel? My first impression was that they were the Snake Finns hunting Mat through the hole in the ToG.

Plus, if the Evil-Aiel from ToM could survive in the blight, I am sure there are ways for other non-shadowspawn to survive.

I guess this leads to a new question: Were those confirmed as Aiel? My first impression was that they were the Snake Finns hunting Mat through the hole in the ToG.

they where not. the snake finn theory is also one of the worst I ever heard, why would they wander from central andor to the borderlands? especially since they would have to go against the flwo of trollocs out of the borderlands

What happened to that runaway Windfinder apprentice?

How long was the DO free from his prison after Lanfear created the Bore and before LTT and the Hundred Companions sealed it? What did the DO do during this time?

Edited by Toy'varen

In the begining of TGS the forsaken have a get-together and Greandal thinks somethink like, weird to think that Demandred could have been a dragon under different cirkumstances. Explenation?

Well, I the name 'Dragon' was given to Lews Therin, presumably because of his actions in leading the Lightsiders against the Shadow. Since Demandred was one of the Light's best generals, Graendal was speculating that, if Lews Therin had not been around to steal his glory, Demandred might have been named Dragon by the people and would have in that case presumably never turned to the Shadow. I don't think Graendal is trying to imply that Demandred could have been the Light's champion; if she is trying to suggest that, then it's reflective of her attitude toward the theology of the world. It may be that she sees the Dark One as being the only true power here; she's aware of things like ta'veren effects, so obviously there is some self-delusion on her part, but she's made some comments about prophecy that suggest a certain non-subscription to the world's theological truths, such as they are.

What happened to that runaway Windfinder apprentice?

We don't know, other than that Merilille took off with her (they both wanted to escape the Sea Folk, so they made a good team); Brandon has been bugged about it, so maybe he'll clue us in somewhere in AMOL.

How long was the DO free from his prison after Lanfear created the Bore and before LTT and the Hundred Companions sealed it? What did the DO do during this time?

He's not free from his prison now, much less then. But there was a period of about 100 years (called the Collapse) between the drilling of the Bore and the onset of the War of Power. Since he didn't really have the power to touch the world, all he could do was sit back and wait for people seeking power to come and find him, at which point he was able to give them orders and start building the network of Darkfriends through those people. Ishamael and Graendal were the first two. There were certain things he could personally do at Shayol Ghul, but that required followers. That's why it took so long for society to break down; he had a lot of work to do, and a lot of limitations. The drilling itself had a sort of subtle effect on human inclination in general, though, and of course the Blight began to grow during that time.

Edited by Terez