DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Question: What the #@&*! was Nicola all of a sudden doing in the middle of the battle in TAR with the BA in ToM only to be killed a second later? It was never fully explained and when Egwene wakes up, her line of thought on that is interrupted by the discovery of Gawyn and the dead bloodknives.

Question 2: How come Egwene's room wasn't warded or trapped when Gawyn burst in to save her from the bloodknifes whereas Egwene had done that the first time?

1) She stole one of the ter'angeal I believe.

2) It was, but the bloodknives used a servant to set off the traps and get her (the servant) caught instead of them. Egwene couldn't wake up even if she had an alarm set to do that, as the dreamspike kept her stuck in the dream.

Okay, that explains the second.

As for 1), Egwene commented on that when she met Nicola there along the lines of "she must have gotten a ter'angreal" but wouldn't those dream-ter'angreal have been closely guarded? And still... why would Nicola choose that moment to sneak into TAR? I think it's a bit too easy to assume she's just so naive as to think she could help.

Yeah, I know it's sort of ridiculous that she would get her hands on such a ter'angeal so easely, but there's no other way really. However knowing how reckless she is, how she always wanted to go faster in her lessons, and how much looked up to Egwene I don't find it too strange that she would try and help.

You mean Adeleas (who was killed while interrogating a captured Black Ajah member) and her twin Vandene, right? Adeleas was killed by Careane, one of the Aes Sedai who were with Elayne and Nynaeve in Ebou Dar and Caemlyn, and who was Black Ajah.

Thanks!

Two short questions that came to my mind while listening to the audiobooks again.

1. While the Kin get much older than the Aes Sedai (because of no oaths) is there anything known about this with the Aiel? I think Bair told a story about a famous Wise One, Mora, who was able to channel and who got very old (it was rumored about 300 years), till she died through a snake bite. But Bair wasn't sure about the age, she even was calling it kind of a legend. So why do we not know about Wise Ones getting much older than Aes Sedai? It seems unlikely that they did not tell anyone about it because of Bairs doubts - and she seems to be the oldest of Amys (second), Melaine and hers. So maybe only Sorilea (who can channel different from Bair) seems to be older than Bair.

Is it due to the living conditions of the Aiel - as it was indicated, that this very old Wise One just died because of a snake bite?

2. This is a question, I came up several times while rereading:

The story, Padan Fain told High Lord Turak about himself gaining the Horn of Valere, seems very similar to the story Mazrim Taim told Rand about how he gained one of the Great Seals.

Fain told Turak that it was in possession of his family for ages and that they swore the oaths to Hawkwing. They had been Lords in the time of Hawkwing, but now they are just small people. IRRC he said that his family was from the Borderlands (? not sure) and that he brought it to Turak because they were the legitimate followers of Hawkwing.

Taim told Rand that he got the seal from a farmer in Saldea who claimed that the seal was in possession of his family for ages. When Taim came to his farm he gave the seal to Taim because he thought Taim was the Dragon Reborn.

To me this stories sound very similar. While in the first way Fain could easyly tell the Horn was in the possession of his own family, Taim needed a proxy for his story, because otherwise it had been even more unlikely than the original story.

And to me both seem to be lies - for Fain's story there's no doubt - and for Taim we know that he is really certain a darkfriend (or maybe more - no, not Demandred ;) ), and that he maybe had a good reason to give the seal to Rand (gaining his trust and also Moridin wanting Rand to break the seals).

So my question about this is: Was RJ or BS or Team Jordan ever questioned about this one? Or can I find some further and enlightening discussion about it somewhere?

(otherwise there was a theroy in my mind, that is resembling my name and very unlikly, too ;) )

Two short questions that came to my mind while listening to the audiobooks again.

1. While the Kin get much older than the Aes Sedai (because of no oaths) is there anything known about this with the Aiel? I think Bair told a story about a famous Wise One, Mora, who was able to channel and who got very old (it was rumored about 300 years), till she died through a snake bite. But Bair wasn't sure about the age, she even was calling it kind of a legend. So why do we not know about Wise Ones getting much older than Aes Sedai? It seems unlikely that they did not tell anyone about it because of Bairs doubts - and she seems to be the oldest of Amys (second), Melaine and hers. So maybe only Sorilea (who can channel different from Bair) seems to be older than Bair.

Is it due to the living conditions of the Aiel - as it was indicated, that this very old Wise One just died because of a snake bite?

AFAIK, neither RJ nor BS ever commented on this. The issue has been discussed on the forums before and the general consensus seems to be that a lot of the Wise Ones (like Mora) died before their times due to harsh conditions of living in the Aiel waste. The only problem with that explanation is that it really makes no sense at all that Sorilea who can barely channel turned out to be the oldest Wise One. She is at the end of her natural lifespan but there should be a LOT of Aiel Wise Ones (pretty much all of the ones that can channel) who have much longer natural lifespans (500 years+). From statistical point of view it's extremely unlikely that every single one of them died before their time because of snakebites etc.

The story, Padan Fain told High Lord Turak about himself gaining the Horn of Valere, seems very similar to the story Mazrim Taim told Rand about how he gained one of the Great Seals.

Fain told Turak that it was in possession of his family for ages and that they swore the oaths to Hawkwing. They had been Lords in the time of Hawkwing, but now they are just small people. IRRC he said that his family was from the Borderlands (? not sure) and that he brought it to Turak because they were the legitimate followers of Hawkwing.

Taim told Rand that he got the seal from a farmer in Saldea who claimed that the seal was in possession of his family for ages. When Taim came to his farm he gave the seal to Taim because he thought Taim was the Dragon Reborn.

To me this stories sound very similar. While in the first way Fain could easyly tell the Horn was in the possession of his own family, Taim needed a proxy for his story, because otherwise it had been even more unlikely than the original story.

And to me both seem to be lies - for Fain's story there's no doubt - and for Taim we know that he is really certain a darkfriend (or maybe more - no, not Demandred ;) ), and that he maybe had a good reason to give the seal to Rand (gaining his trust and also Moridin wanting Rand to break the seals).

So my question about this is: Was RJ or BS or Team Jordan ever questioned about this one? Or can I find some further and enlightening discussion about it somewhere?

(otherwise there was a theroy in my mind, that is resembling my name and very unlikly, too ;) )

I don't believe there were any "official" comments on this issue either. Fain's story was of course a lie. Taim's was probably a lie too but it's hard to be sure. But I don't think there is anything in this beyond the seeming similarity that you mention. If you are implying some sort of hidden connection between Taim and Fain (or that they are even the same person?) I'm absolutely certain that there isn't one.

But there are certainly interesting questions related to these episodes. Namely, how did Fain know that the flag over Turak's residence was basically the same as that of Hawkwing's son Luthair. Mordeth was imprisoned in SH about a thousand years before Hawkwing's time.

The only somewhat reasonable explanation I've seen was that Mordeth talked to visitors to SH during his years there.

Another very interesting topic is Taim's reaction when Rand almost breaks the seal that Taim gave him. Taim seems genuinely horrified and it's not really clear why given that he is a high ranking DF and maybe even Moridin himself.

AFAIK, neither RJ nor BS ever commented on this. The issue has been discussed on the forums before and the general consensus seems to be that a lot of the Wise Ones (like Mora) died before their times due to harsh conditions of living in the Aiel waste. The only problem with that explanation is that it really makes no sense at all that Sorilea who can barely channel turned out to be the oldest Wise One. She is at the end of her natural lifespan but there should be a LOT of Aiel Wise Ones (pretty much all of the ones that can channel) who have much longer natural lifespans (500 years+). From statistical point of view it's extremely unlikely that every single one of them died before their time because of snakebites etc.

I don't believe there were any "official" comments on this issue either. Fain's story was of course a lie. Taim's was probably a lie too but it's hard to be sure. But I don't think there is anything in this beyond the seeming similarity that you mention. If you are implying some sort of hidden connection between Taim and Fain (or that they are even the same person?) I'm absolutely certain that there isn't one.

But there are certainly interesting questions related to these episodes. Namely, how did Fain know that the flag over Turak's residence was basically the same as that of Hawkwing's son Luthair. Mordeth was imprisoned in SH about a thousand years before Hawkwing's time.

The only somewhat reasonable explanation I've seen was that Mordeth talked to visitors to SH during his years there.

Another very interesting topic is Taim's reaction when Rand almost breaks the seal that Taim gave him. Taim seems genuinely horrified and it's not really clear why given that he is a high ranking DF and maybe even Moridin himself.

Perhaps he wasn't a DF yet. I've never really been convinced by explanations on why a DF would give one of the keys to their master's prison to basically his sworn enemy. Especially since the shadow has been looking to get those seals back since only shortly after that.

Like another poster told; Fain's story of the Horn is for sure a lie. The last chapters of Eye of World confirm that it is a lie.

Taim's story of the Seal, no proof or disproof on it. Though if it was a lie, I imagine there would have been a prior scene or a flashback telling the truth.

This is a bit of a stretch, but in one of the later of Avi's viewings (ToM, chapter 49, Court of the Sun) we hear her as being a Wise One who can not channel.

She was Ladalin, Wise One of the Taardad Aiel. How she wished that she had been able to learn to channel. That was a shameful thought, wishing for a talent one did not have, but she could not deny it.

She sat in the tent, feeling regretful, If she'd been able to work with the One Power, perhaps she could have done more to help the wounded. She could have remained young to lead her clan, and perhas her bones would not ache so. Old age was a frustration when there was so much to do.

Well, we know that Aiel channelers do live longer than the others. How long though? do we really know?

Perhaps he wasn't a DF yet. I've never really been convinced by explanations on why a DF would give one of the keys to their master's prison to basically his sworn enemy. Especially since the shadow has been looking to get those seals back since only shortly after that.

I'm sure that's not it. First, I'm sure that Taim who showed up in LoC is an impostor and maybe even Moridin. Even if you don't believe that there are other clues. Right off the bat Taim displays knowledge that no lightsider should have. He knows the anti-sweating trick. Where did he learn that?! and he also knows how to test for the channeling ability. The process is quite tricky and time consuming and hardly intuitive. How could he possibly figure it out by himself?

One way or the other I'm certain that Taim was a DF from the beginning and a very high ranking one too. I suspect the reason he gave Rand the seal was because the shadow knew that in order for Rand to seal the bore he had to break the seals. That's why Fel was killed -- because he figured it out. of course, the DO does want to break the seals and break free eventually but only in his own time - once everything decays to the point that no credible resistance can be organized. The new zen Rand finally realized this but the Rand of LoC would have no idea about it. That is likely why Taim was so shocked when Rand wanted to break the seal. The mere fact that Taim knew about importance of breaking the seals says a lot about him.

Haven't got the books on me, but if I recal correctly it was the gholam that got him. And at the time the Golam was still under Sammaels' control. It might of course have been another Forsaken though, not sure. The reason was quite obvious: he was on to something important about sealing the bore. How the Forsaken/DO/... found out about this is never fully explained.

Why is Verins warder not around in tGH?

We are told taveren are used by the pattern to correct itself. Then what was the purpose of arthur pendragon?

Now hopefully those aren't unanswerable questions oO

She left him behind with the rest of the aes sedai.

I assume his purpose was to stop the false dragon, Guaire Amalasan. And maybe to teach the aes sedai some humility. Hell, the greather purpose might have been to have his son take over Seanchan so his descendants could return later on.

Zombiepost, since no one ever answered this one properly:

why does cats in the tworivers has six toes?

Radiation. From when Eldrene ay Ellan ay Carlan melted the city of Manetheren.

The implication is supposed to be that there is a whole hell of a lot of inbreeding in the Two Rivers, which causes deformities. I think we hashed this out on Theoryland some years ago, though, and I seem to remember someone saying that the idea wasn't genetically accurate?

Who had Herid Fel killed? How did they know he found something?
Who ordered the killing of Herid Fel? As far as I am aware, the books do not tell; the most likely candidates would be any of the Forsaken.

Who had Herid Fel killed? How did they know he found something?
Who ordered the killing of Herid Fel? As far as I am aware, the books do not tell; the most likely candidates would be any of the Forsaken.

The most likely candidate is Sammael, as he was known to have had access to the gholam. Dominic at rafo.com suggested that Sammael believed that Fel was Asmodean in disguise.

Thanks, that's an interesting theory about him being Asmo.

Next question..in TGH when Rand and co. find the second deserted village, he enters a house and see's the people who lived there get attacked over and over.. and has more and more flies covering everything plus he gets very cold. What was happening exactly?

Thanks, that's an interesting theory about him being Asmo.

Next question..in TGH when Rand and co. find the second deserted village, he enters a house and see's the people who lived there get attacked over and over.. and has more and more flies covering everything plus he gets very cold. What was happening exactly?

It was a trap by Fain.

This may seem like a silly question, but why did Rhuarc call Rand a "meegerling" at the beginning of TOM? I thought Rand came back enlightened and wiser?

Because he left everyone (again) at the end of tGS, and without telling anyone (again).

This may seem like a silly question, but why did Rhuarc call Rand a "meegerling" at the beginning of TOM? I thought Rand came back enlightened and wiser?

Because he went to battle without the Aiel, and also because of his increasingly bad treatment of them. In other words, they know he has changed, but they still hold him responsible for what he did before.