DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

'Towers of Midnight' progress bar

mb

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Citizens of first world nations, complaining bitterly on the internet, using their fancy, schmancy computers and high speed connections, about the delay in publication of insanely long fantasy novels, is why the terrorists hate us. Seriously, there are places where they'd be overjoyed to get a WoT novel, simply because the pages are very thin and absorbent.

Clearly this woman is prescient, discerning and possesses impecable insight... waitaminute... This is Kathana I just referred to. Clearly I've fallen off the deep end.

Is that the asylum boys knocking? NO, ya' bleedin' keelhaulers... Manny's not here!

Citizens of first world nations, complaining bitterly on the internet, using their fancy, schmancy computers and high speed connections, about the delay in publication of insanely long fantasy novels, is why the terrorists hate us. Seriously, there are places where they'd be overjoyed to get a WoT novel, simply because the pages are very thin and absorbent.

Kathana is clearly correct. We must resort to terrorism.

i could definately be doing much worse things with my life, than lieing around and rereading wot for the 15th time

Oh, I'm not saying we're bad people. I'm just saying we need to have some perspective regarding the publication of novels.

But I realize I'm talking to the internet here, and that freaking out over minutia is our birthright.

Oh, I'm not saying we're bad people. I'm just saying we need to have some perspective regarding the publication of novels.

But I realize I'm talking to the internet here, and that freaking out over minutia is our birthright.

Bah! Less perspective, more pitchforks and torches.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course I'll panic, the LAST BATTLE IS COMING! I need to know how to protect myself, where to hide, etc.!

Aside from that nonsense, whenever a book gets delayed, it gives me time to read other stuff or get homework done, so while delays get annoying, they are somewhat useful as well.

Seriously, there are places where they'd be overjoyed to get a WoT novel, simply because the pages are very thin and absorbent.

This certainly doesn't seem to be the forum to suggest such a thing with so many other more worthy books for such a duty.

In all seriousness are you really suggesting a WOT book for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Q: Why has the TofM progress bar been stuck at the same number for so long? A: Been doing revisions. Plan to do a blog post soon.

Problem: I want the book to work on its own, and not feel like "All of the stuf that didn't go in TGS thrown together."

This book needs to be at least as good as TGS, if not better. Either way, it's probably going to be longer--consider yourself warned.

I sure hope his warning that TOM should be a longer book doesn't mean it will push it's release out too far  :-\

If the next book is going to focus Perrin and Mat and leave Rand out of it, chances are the book is going to suck.

Perrin and Fail have taken the place of the most annoying characters in the books. Here is their average dialogue:

Perrin: Should I pick the hammer or the axe?

Faile: You silly sheepherder. But you're my sheepherder.

Perrin: No seriously. Do you think I fail at life?

Faile: I trust you because I love you.

Perrin: I don't understand women.

Faile: I love you because I trust you.

Perrin: The hammer or the axe? The hammer just kinda feels...right. But who should I be? Bloody Goldeneyes indeed!

Why does she smell like jealousy again? Berelain isn't even around. Wait now a split second later it's changed to love, adoration, back to jealousy and then trust. Still getting a whiff of jealousy though.

Faile: I really love you and trust you.

Perrin: *sigh* I hate my life.

ToM will have Perrin and Mat in it, but who said it won't have Rand chapters? I'd think he still has some situating to do before TG, and that can't happen in AMoL. Also, Egwene has to have that Seanchan dream come true before TG, and Rand needs to bind the nine moons.

Plus, if Morgase goes out of hiding, I'll be disappointed if Gawyn and Elayne aren't notified.

Oh, did I mentioned the Forsaken? Some Shadowy plots (like what Demandred was up to, all this time) have to be revealed, don't you think?

In short, I can see why ToM might be longer than TGS, but there's so much that still needs to happen that I'm excited. I don't at all think that it'll be a bad book.

No, not really. The hardback pages are really too stiff for that sort of thing. the paperback release is much better.

Speaking of which, have they announced a paperback release date for TGS?

It looks like they are planning to release it next fall.

ToM will have Perrin and Mat in it, but who said it won't have Rand chapters? I'd think he still has some situating to do before TG, and that can't happen in AMoL. Also, Egwene has to have that Seanchan dream come true before TG, and Rand needs to bind the nine moons.

Plus, if Morgase goes out of hiding, I'll be disappointed if Gawyn and Elayne aren't notified.

Oh, did I mentioned the Forsaken? Some Shadowy plots (like what Demandred was up to, all this time) have to be revealed, don't you think?

In short, I can see why ToM might be longer than TGS, but there's so much that still needs to happen that I'm excited. I don't at all think that it'll be a bad book.

There is so much stuff to tie up from everyone in the books. And the tie ups have to happen in this book because, AMoL will have no room for tie ups because it will be entirely dedicated to TG. All your loose ends will IMO be taken care of in ToM. ToM will probably end up being the biggest novel written in the series(content wise). So many things have to happen, and explainations needed to be made.

There is so much stuff to tie up from everyone in the books. And the tie ups have to happen in this book because, AMoL will have no room for tie ups because it will be entirely dedicated to TG. All your loose ends will IMO be taken care of in ToM. ToM will probably end up being the biggest novel written in the series(content wise). So many things have to happen, and explainations needed to be made.

Kinda makes you wonder how ANYONE could have expected all this to be wrapped up in one book.

Well, I think BS said RJ was realistic on the word count. He just somehow convinced himself (what do I know? Maybe he had enough pull to get it done) that a way would be found to print it all in one book.

Mostly, though, I think he really wanted to tell us the story himself, and we're all worse off for the fact that he didn't get the chance to.

I began reading WoT in 1990.  Brandon is simply carrying on a very long tradition of re-tooling the details of the most complex piece of Fantasy literature ever created.  RJ did it every time after tSR and we are all better off for it.  It requires an enormous amount of effort to insure that the plot lines and characters flow as seamlessly as possible.  There are far too many of us that will jump on any major flaw so I can understand why Brandon is needing to extend the date a bit.  Talk about pressure!  Who else has been handed a responsibility such as this?  Off the top of my head I cannot think of another writer who has been entrusted to write the completion of an epic that began 25 years ago with a very large, devoted, expert audience.

• 1 month later...

Archived