DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

33 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Did they ever show any hint of him stealing it?  Cause it was at the White Tower.  Moiraine had it after healing him.  When did he steal it and do you think they will show it in a flashback?

I imagine that will be shown in a flashback, we know that the last 2 episodes had to be re written because Matt was not available so it is possible that will be shown with the new Matt Actor, possibly as the motivation for him chasing after Fain and then meeting up with Perrin. 

3 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

Did they ever show any hint of him stealing it?  Cause it was at the White Tower.  Moiraine had it after healing him.  When did he steal it and do you think they will show it in a flashback?

I imagine if Mat hadn't left it would have been revealed in Episode 7 that he still had the dagger due to needing further healing.  Then in Episode 8 Fain would have stolen it from him and stabbed him (Which I believe happened in TGH, haven't read it in a while).

So I think we'll get some heavy Flashback in Season 2 for the new Mat.

Ok but back to predictions...it seems like with Moiraine's Season 1 ending they want to speed up the plot and raise the stakes of encounters with baddies. In the books it takes a long time before there are major losses for any main characters. Based on that I believe Moiraine is currently stilled and not just shielded, and Siuan's deposition will arrive sooner and I think may end in death rather than stilling.

Jeffy B wants the next Game of Thrones...and that show got a lot more popular after Ned's execution and the Red Wedding, primarily because viewers realized that good characters who did all the right things were not protected from bad endings. I don't think WoT will be nearly as violent as GoT but I predict at least one non-book death in Season 2, and I think Siuan is the most likely.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 5:39 AM, ForsakenPotato said:

I don't think WoT will be nearly as violent as GoT but I predict at least one non-book death in Season 2, and I think Siuan is the most likely.

Making the Forsaken just a smidgen more competent would be fun, I think.

Or, perhaps I'm mistaken.  What if RJ wanted the Dark One and his Minions to be incompetent, not just to avoid having someone with half a brain as a protagonist (and instead concentrate on the problems of the sewage system in Tear or whatever) but to suggest that they're not evil, just stupid?

Edited by EmreY

I like in the books that the foresaken are often scheming against each other as well the protagonists -- it's an effective way to demonstrate that their evilness mostly stems from selfishness, they each want to get ahead of everyone including each other. I hope they keep that dynamic in the show, and it does sometimes explain why they aren't effective. But yeah, when a foresaken spends multiple books in the close vicinity of a main character and the main threat seems to be...headaches? Wouldn't mind something a little more fearsome!

On 1/2/2022 at 9:39 PM, ForsakenPotato said:

Ok but back to predictions...it seems like with Moiraine's Season 1 ending they want to speed up the plot and raise the stakes of encounters with baddies. In the books it takes a long time before there are major losses for any main characters. Based on that I believe Moiraine is currently stilled and not just shielded, and Siuan's deposition will arrive sooner and I think may end in death rather than stilling.

Jeffy B wants the next Game of Thrones...and that show got a lot more popular after Ned's execution and the Red Wedding, primarily because viewers realized that good characters who did all the right things were not protected from bad endings. I don't think WoT will be nearly as violent as GoT but I predict at least one non-book death in Season 2, and I think Siuan is the most likely.

I think we'll be okay for season 2, since someone's noble sacrifice at the end will carry the weight.  I don't think Siuan will be killed in season 2, since that would lose them the ability to show her reaction to FoH. I also think she has a major role to fulfill in season 8

Spoiler

In any final battle situation, we need lots of known characters to die, and behind Egwene, I think Siuan and Gawyn have the most PoV's. All of the generals also die, but we weren't in  the heads of Rhuarc, Bashere, Agelmar, Romanda, Lelaine, or Bryne like we were with Siuan's.

6 of the core 7 live (maybe?), 5 of their 6 love interests live, most of the Sergeant level people (Tam, Abell, Talmanes, the Seanchan dude, Uno, Grady, Androl) live. It's the entire General staff level who get eliminated. 

If they do kill someone to snip out an entire B plot, then I expect it will be Morgase, as a means of dropping her entire arc.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:35 PM, EmreY said:

Making the Forsaken just a smidgen more competent would be fun, I think.

Or, perhaps I'm mistaken.  What if RJ wanted the Dark One and his Minions to be incompetent, not just to avoid having someone with half a brain as a protagonist (and instead concentrate on the problems of the sewage system in Tear or whatever) but to suggest that they're not evil, just stupid?

They've already done that; if they do go with the 8 instead of the 13, the average success rate per Forsaken goes up significantly, because it's the ineffective / unimportant ones who get dropped. Aside from Asmodean - who has one specific function in the story that depends on his incompetence - would give the remaining ones marks ranging from B- to A+ in terms of villainy

I think what RJ was going for in this is that the Forsaken are only human, and not even the best / worst of humanity.  In a lot of ways, they're about the banality of evil, and not the threat of EVIL!

Cold Open will like involve Mat for E1.  They will want o quickly show what happened after Moiraine sent her message.

He likely is still connected to the dagger, which sets up the plot.  I get the feeling that season two will more closely follow the book plot than season 1 did.  The gurls go back to Tar Valon, Moiraines sends Min to act as a contact between her and Suian, they meet Elayne, Galad and Gawyn,  They get tricked by Liandrin, and end up in Falme. 

Uno and the other Shainarans join them because it was their duty to protect the horn.   Mat goes because he needs the dagger to be fully healed.  Rand and Perrin join to help Mat.  They all end up in Falme.

Big showdown between Rand and Ishy.  Rand if recognized as the Dragon.  Whether or not the inclde TDR,or part of it is up in the air

My Season 2 Predictions...or what I'd like to happen? I don't know. Just playing with a story that will keep the actors/actresses all engaged, the locations minimized,

Spoiler

My big plotline prediction

Mat/Egwene/Nynaeve Plot:

1. In a flashback, we see Mat being re-touched or stabbed by the dagger by Fain before Fain entered the ways. He may say Mat can find him at Tomen Head if he wants the dagger back (after he has fallen fully to corruption). Mat makes his way to Tar Valon where he survives but not well until he is found by the Red Ajah. He is very sick/unconscious. We are introduced to Elayne in the White Tower already and she rescues him by telling Siuan how the Reds have captured a man. Elaida, however, has a foretelling about him that makes her consider him a threat. The tower split begins to occur as Siuan decides to keep him alive and Elaida thinks she should have let him die.

2. Egwene and Nynaeve show up to enroll at the tower, tell Siuan about what happened at TEOTW, and follow their promise to find Mat. They may bring Loial for healing. They meet Min and Elayne. They learn he is there, and tell Siuan about the dagger. Siuan leads a healing that encapsulates the evil of the dagger to keep it from spreading or contaminating him further, so he seems fine, but says he will need an Aes Sedai to move the evil into the dagger or else he will die. After this healing, we learn Mat has lost almost all his memories, he's 'new Mat'. He learns about his life from Egwene and Nynaeve (and Siuan) but he has errors in what they tell him, so he doesn't know for sure. He also has old-tongue moments. We get the fight with Galad and Gawyn and the beginning of the lucky streak and he runs into Min, who has been in Tar Valon.

3. Liandrin tells Egwene and Nynaeve that Suian intends for Mat to die, and that to save him, they need to get the dagger, and she has pretty good proof. She shows, or sets up clues, for them to believe that the dagger has been taken to Tomen Head, and offers to take them there through the Ways. Elayne, due to her interest in Mat, wants to go with, and Liandrin lets her. Mat doesn't trust her and finds more reason to think it's a trap. Suian has forbidden him from leaving the tower due to the prophecy, but he sneaks out like in book 3 to rescue Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne, leaving with Min. They take a boat and head towards Tomen Head. We /may/ get Mat meeting up with Perrin in Cahrien on the way, or he may bypass Cahrien and go straight to Tomen Head.

4. Egwene gets captured. Nynaeve and Elayne bond and try to figure out how to rescue her. Mat and Min have various adventures along the way. Great hunt finishes in Tomen Head around Episode 7, with Mat finding the others, getting the Horn of Valere and blowing it, and in the end having the remaining taint removed by Moiraine.  

Moiraine/Lan plot:

1. When they return to Fal Dara, Egwene figures out from questioning Moiraine that Rand is not dead and Moiraine realizes that she was very very wrong about many things, including the Eye of the World. We get some exposition to help us realize that much of what she thought was wrong. She asks the girls to go to Tar Valon to tell Siuan the truth about what happened, unable to go herself.

2. Moiraine seeks out Verin or Adelas, looking for better prophecies than she had, and learns about how the true prophecy says the Stone of Tear will fall and the Dragon will take Callindor. No Aes Sedai have been in the Stone of Tear for centuries. We also learn more about the Foresaken. This is likely done in the libraries of Cahrien.

3. Siuan receives Moiraine's message and slips out of the tower to meet with her and heals her problem with the shield. OR Rand heals it in Cahrien. If Siuan heals it, this is the final blow to take down the tower. Moiraine, now healed, must learn about the situation in Tear because of what she has learned. She sends Verin with Rand and Perrin to help them (and potentially to let them go through Waygates)

Perrin /Horn Plot

1. Perrin is stuck in Fal Dara and forges an axe and begins training. Once Aglemar is on his feet, Aglemar sends Uno, Masema, Ingtar, and Elyas/Huron (one character for both) after the Horn of Valere. Perrin learns a lot from Elyas/Huron about being a wolf-brother. Elyas/Huron dies in Episode 2 or 3, so Perrin must continue the hunt acting in his place.

2. Perrin tracks the horn to Cahrien, but can't go past the Ways. He meets with Rand.

3. He meets Faile in Cahrien who overhears they're looking for the horn and tags along.

4. When the group reaches Tomen Head, Perrin finds himself facing the White Cloak army, who are suspicious of him and have received reports he is a monster. The battle with the Seanchen begins, with Perrin caught in the middle. Perrin ends up being attacked by Geofram Bornhold, thinking him an enemy combatant, and he kills some whitecloaks, and maybe Bornhold. (Though Bornhold certainly dies in that battle).

Rand Plot:

1. Rand intends to go to the waste, to either explode or learn more about his true parents. We get a small introduction to the Aiel, but he quickly runs into Selene, who is in trouble (possibly, seemingly, /from/ the Aiel) and Rand rescues her. Selene convinces Rand to accompany her to Cahrien as her 'savior', and she spends the trip trying to get close to him and teaching him about his magic.

2. When they get to Cahrien, Selene settles him as befits a noble, which he, somewhat wowed, lets her do. But in the city he runs into Thom, who tells him that Selene is not a real Cahrien noble, and warns him about the people he is associating with. They also run into Perrin, and eventually, Moiraine. Selene, exposed, disappears, and Rand starts to realize what she is.

3. Rand unravels Moiraine's knot (if Siuan isn't doing it) and joins with Perrin looking for the Horn, realizing now that this is not over and there are still things the Dragon must do.

4. Perrin tracks Fain to the Waygate in Cahrien, but when they reach it to enter, and Verin goes to open it, they find Machin Shin right there. They cannot go through. Verin or Loial directs them to the nearest Ogier stedding where there is another waygate that may help them.

5. This waygate is broken. Verin says isn't strong enough to go through when it is broken, but Rand might be. She tries to show him how, but he does it wrong. We get 'flicker flicker flicker' (if we're lucky). We end up near Tomen Head.

6. If they haven't met back up earlier, they meet Mat and Min, who tell them about the dagger, Egwene, and the Horn. Various book things happen, and there's a big battle.

7. After the battle, everyone knows the Dragon is reborn. Moiraine shows up, talking about Callindor. There is a pause. Fain crawls off, swearing revenge on the Two Rivers for what they've done.

The taking of the Stone of Tear will happen early in Season 3.

Doing it this way we have only 2 new locations (Falme and Cahrien) and 2 existing Locations (Tar Valon and Fal Dara, and the Fal Dara scenes are short. We don't lose Siuan and Tower Politics as a subtheme. We introduce some but not too many new characters (Elaida, Elayne, the Seanchen+more with the Shinarans). We don't add an additional 'magic transportation tech'. But we hit the major beats of the Great Hunt and a lot of The Dragon Reborn.

If the show hadn't lost Barney Harris, Mat would have been stabbed in Loial's place and the girls would be taking him back to the Tower for healing and otherwise have a similar arc to here.

20 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

My Season 2 Predictions...or what I'd like to happen? I don't know. Just playing with a story that will keep the actors/actresses all engaged, the locations minimized,

Reveal hidden contents

My big plotline prediction

Mat/Egwene/Nynaeve Plot:

1. In a flashback, we see Mat being re-touched or stabbed by the dagger by Fain before Fain entered the ways. He may say Mat can find him at Tomen Head if he wants the dagger back (after he has fallen fully to corruption). Mat makes his way to Tar Valon where he survives but not well until he is found by the Red Ajah. He is very sick/unconscious. We are introduced to Elayne in the White Tower already and she rescues him by telling Siuan how the Reds have captured a man. Elaida, however, has a foretelling about him that makes her consider him a threat. The tower split begins to occur as Siuan decides to keep him alive and Elaida thinks she should have let him die.

2. Egwene and Nynaeve show up to enroll at the tower, tell Siuan about what happened at TEOTW, and follow their promise to find Mat. They may bring Loial for healing. They meet Min and Elayne. They learn he is there, and tell Siuan about the dagger. Siuan leads a healing that encapsulates the evil of the dagger to keep it from spreading or contaminating him further, so he seems fine, but says he will need an Aes Sedai to move the evil into the dagger or else he will die. After this healing, we learn Mat has lost almost all his memories, he's 'new Mat'. He learns about his life from Egwene and Nynaeve (and Siuan) but he has errors in what they tell him, so he doesn't know for sure. He also has old-tongue moments. We get the fight with Galad and Gawyn and the beginning of the lucky streak and he runs into Min, who has been in Tar Valon.

3. Liandrin tells Egwene and Nynaeve that Suian intends for Mat to die, and that to save him, they need to get the dagger, and she has pretty good proof. She shows, or sets up clues, for them to believe that the dagger has been taken to Tomen Head, and offers to take them there through the Ways. Elayne, due to her interest in Mat, wants to go with, and Liandrin lets her. Mat doesn't trust her and finds more reason to think it's a trap. Suian has forbidden him from leaving the tower due to the prophecy, but he sneaks out like in book 3 to rescue Egwene, Nynaeve, and Elayne, leaving with Min. They take a boat and head towards Tomen Head. We /may/ get Mat meeting up with Perrin in Cahrien on the way, or he may bypass Cahrien and go straight to Tomen Head.

4. Egwene gets captured. Nynaeve and Elayne bond and try to figure out how to rescue her. Mat and Min have various adventures along the way. Great hunt finishes in Tomen Head around Episode 7, with Mat finding the others, getting the Horn of Valere and blowing it, and in the end having the remaining taint removed by Moiraine.  

Moiraine/Lan plot:

1. When they return to Fal Dara, Egwene figures out from questioning Moiraine that Rand is not dead and Moiraine realizes that she was very very wrong about many things, including the Eye of the World. We get some exposition to help us realize that much of what she thought was wrong. She asks the girls to go to Tar Valon to tell Siuan the truth about what happened, unable to go herself.

2. Moiraine seeks out Verin or Adelas, looking for better prophecies than she had, and learns about how the true prophecy says the Stone of Tear will fall and the Dragon will take Callindor. No Aes Sedai have been in the Stone of Tear for centuries. We also learn more about the Foresaken. This is likely done in the libraries of Cahrien.

3. Siuan receives Moiraine's message and slips out of the tower to meet with her and heals her problem with the shield. OR Rand heals it in Cahrien. If Siuan heals it, this is the final blow to take down the tower. Moiraine, now healed, must learn about the situation in Tear because of what she has learned. She sends Verin with Rand and Perrin to help them (and potentially to let them go through Waygates)

Perrin /Horn Plot

1. Perrin is stuck in Fal Dara and forges an axe and begins training. Once Aglemar is on his feet, Aglemar sends Uno, Masema, Ingtar, and Elyas/Huron (one character for both) after the Horn of Valere. Perrin learns a lot from Elyas/Huron about being a wolf-brother. Elyas/Huron dies in Episode 2 or 3, so Perrin must continue the hunt acting in his place.

2. Perrin tracks the horn to Cahrien, but can't go past the Ways. He meets with Rand.

3. He meets Faile in Cahrien who overhears they're looking for the horn and tags along.

4. When the group reaches Tomen Head, Perrin finds himself facing the White Cloak army, who are suspicious of him and have received reports he is a monster. The battle with the Seanchen begins, with Perrin caught in the middle. Perrin ends up being attacked by Geofram Bornhold, thinking him an enemy combatant, and he kills some whitecloaks, and maybe Bornhold. (Though Bornhold certainly dies in that battle).

Rand Plot:

1. Rand intends to go to the waste, to either explode or learn more about his true parents. We get a small introduction to the Aiel, but he quickly runs into Selene, who is in trouble (possibly, seemingly, /from/ the Aiel) and Rand rescues her. Selene convinces Rand to accompany her to Cahrien as her 'savior', and she spends the trip trying to get close to him and teaching him about his magic.

2. When they get to Cahrien, Selene settles him as befits a noble, which he, somewhat wowed, lets her do. But in the city he runs into Thom, who tells him that Selene is not a real Cahrien noble, and warns him about the people he is associating with. They also run into Perrin, and eventually, Moiraine. Selene, exposed, disappears, and Rand starts to realize what she is.

3. Rand unravels Moiraine's knot (if Siuan isn't doing it) and joins with Perrin looking for the Horn, realizing now that this is not over and there are still things the Dragon must do.

4. Perrin tracks Fain to the Waygate in Cahrien, but when they reach it to enter, and Verin goes to open it, they find Machin Shin right there. They cannot go through. Verin or Loial directs them to the nearest Ogier stedding where there is another waygate that may help them.

5. This waygate is broken. Verin says isn't strong enough to go through when it is broken, but Rand might be. She tries to show him how, but he does it wrong. We get 'flicker flicker flicker' (if we're lucky). We end up near Tomen Head.

6. If they haven't met back up earlier, they meet Mat and Min, who tell them about the dagger, Egwene, and the Horn. Various book things happen, and there's a big battle.

7. After the battle, everyone knows the Dragon is reborn. Moiraine shows up, talking about Callindor. There is a pause. Fain crawls off, swearing revenge on the Two Rivers for what they've done.

The taking of the Stone of Tear will happen early in Season 3.

Doing it this way we have only 2 new locations (Falme and Cahrien) and 2 existing Locations (Tar Valon and Fal Dara, and the Fal Dara scenes are short. We don't lose Siuan and Tower Politics as a subtheme. We introduce some but not too many new characters (Elaida, Elayne, the Seanchen+more with the Shinarans). We don't add an additional 'magic transportation tech'. But we hit the major beats of the Great Hunt and a lot of The Dragon Reborn.

If the show hadn't lost Barney Harris, Mat would have been stabbed in Loial's place and the girls would be taking him back to the Tower for healing and otherwise have a similar arc to here.

I'm extremely curious to see how they pull off the Mat-switch. I'm probably being too expectant, but I don't care. Great predictions!

Edited by VooDooNut
typo

5 hours ago, Pukel-man said:

I know one that that won't happen in season two - Rand can't defeat High Lord Turok in an epic sword duel. He hasn't had a shred of training with that heron-mark blade, and the only thing he can really do with it is seppuku.

Could loan the sword to Egwene or Nynaeve! They don’t require any training and are instant blademasters from birth.

6 hours ago, Pukel-man said:

I know one that that won't happen in season two - Rand can't defeat High Lord Turok in an epic sword duel. He hasn't had a shred of training with that heron-mark blade, and the only thing he can really do with it is seppuku.

Rand, Mat and Perrin are given rudimentary lessons in the weapons the are carrying by Lan in EotW as the group are fleeing the Two Rivers. Lan only begins training Rand in earnest at the start of The Great Hunt and even then only for a handful of weeks. For basically the entirety of EotW Rand has no real idea what to do with his sword and uses it to bluff being someone much more dangerous than he actually is. The fact that he is capable of duelling Turak and defeating him you can only draw 2 conclusions, either Turak is a terrible Blade Master being defeated by a teenager with a month's training or that Rand is so damn special and awesome that he only needs a handful of weeks training to become expert enough to defeat another expert.

23 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Rand, Mat and Perrin are given rudimentary lessons in the weapons the are carrying by Lan in EotW as the group are fleeing the Two Rivers. Lan only begins training Rand in earnest at the start of The Great Hunt and even then only for a handful of weeks. For basically the entirety of EotW Rand has no real idea what to do with his sword and uses it to bluff being someone much more dangerous than he actually is. The fact that he is capable of duelling Turak and defeating him you can only draw 2 conclusions, either Turak is a terrible Blade Master being defeated by a teenager with a month's training or that Rand is so damn special and awesome that he only needs a handful of weeks training to become expert enough to defeat another expert.

He used the Void and that surely helped him but still.. It is mentioned in some of the books that he learns sword forms and unarmed combat etc. very quickly. Not much different than Galad who has to be shown only once and he can execute the forms perfectly. That's my memory and head canon.

Edited by DaddyFinn

Pulling off Turok 'logically' is hard.  You can give one person supernaturally received hand to hand skills but giving two completely different characters those skills diminishes both and makes it look like you really believe becoming super good at swords only takes a month or so of training.  If I had to choose only one person who gets supernaturally good at fighting, I'd pick Mat. It's more visual for him and the explanation is very clear.  They made Rand super good with a bow already.  I think we can have time in Tear or among the Aiel to have Rand work on his swording.  But that does leave the problem of Turok.  Considering that Rand immediately follows it with a second big fight vs The Foresaken, making the first kinda forgettable, removing Turok or giving that fight to another makes sense to me.   He can fight a blade Master after Tear if it is important.

2 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

the problem of Turok.  Considering that Rand immediately follows it with a second big fight vs The Foresaken, making the first kinda forgettable, removing Turok or giving that fight to another makes sense to me.   He can fight a blade Master after Tear if it is important.

The first time I read TGH, I thought they were the same person... so I agree.

Edited by EmreY

4 hours ago, JenniferL said:

I haven’t read that scene in a minute, but I think I recall that Turak is really arrogant and not putting in a full effort and Rand gets really, really, really lucky. 

At the beginning, Turak plays with Rand who is not using the flame and the void because of the fear of saidin. Actually, he seems to be disgusted by the level of his opponent, if I remember well...but then Rand triggers the void and start the counterattack, at first Turak is surprised, then he also goes all out and Rand wins fair and square.

By the way,  I extremely disagree that Falme should changed because Rand has two big fights...that's the cool thing of TGH finale, this crescendo of emotions, with new threats appearing as soon as one seems to be gone, all culminating with Mat blowing the Horn and Rand fighting Balza in the sky while the heroes of the past charge.