DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

11 hours ago, nsmallw said:

The Ingtar arc is one of my faves in TGH. I truly hope the showrunners keep and expound upon it.

So much about TGH that I love...the hunt for Fain and his gang, Perrin as a "sniffer", Ingtar, Verin, Rand coming into his own as a leader, the ladies breaking free and unleashing havoc on the Seanchan, Mat grabbing the horn and dagger, the epic ending...

4 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

Because it's not Ferris Beuller's Day Off or Rand Al'Thor and the Holy Grail? ?

although, crap, Demandred's Sa'angreal is the Sang Real...holy shit...never made that connection.

Could be the Life of Rand though. After all "he's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy!" as Cadsuane might say ? 

11 hours ago, Windigo said:

Unfortunately they probably won't,  and yet, look at GoT and trying to create  second prequel show when they could have just added a couple seasons to have the ending make sense. 

The show runners where offered more episodes for the end, where offered a 10 season run for the last season, they said no every time. I think this hits it on the head really well. 

12 hours ago, SingleMort said:

With all due respect not seeing any evidence of that at all. Out of curiousity to see if 8 episodes were a trend I looked up a selection of other headline shows in 2021 this is the results I got.

• Hawkeye 6 episodes
  • Arcane 9 episodes
  • The Book of Boba Fett 7 episodes
  • Foundation 10 episodes
  • WandaVision 9 Episodes

The only ones I could find that fit the 8 episode model you are talking about were the Witcher and Shadow and Bone and the big difference between those shows and WoT is that they drop the entire season all at once. There is no reason to make WoT bingeable in one sitting because it's episodes are released on a weekly basis. Netflix uses this model because Netflix drop whole seasons of TV in one go but most other streaming platforms do not because while you can get high viewing numbers in one week the show viewership drops quickly after that and no one hardly talks about it after release. All of the most talked about shows (Arcane, Loki/Wandavision, Mandalorian) all have weekly release schedules because the weekly release keeps people talking about them. So if it truly is Amazon's plan to have people binge this in one go it's not a very good one because their own release strategy messes it up and it would just create less hype for the show instead of more hype.

Maybe I should have said on average 8 episodes with up to 10, but the average of the shows above plus Witcher and Shadow and Bone is 8. You can also add the boys (8 episodes) Expanse (10), Hanna 8, See 8, Jack Ryan 8. my point is that the driver is for short limited tv shows and the reason is, with non linear TV, to make it bingeable once the whole thing is released. I know a number of people who have held off on WOT waiting for it all to drop, and in future others will come to it later on. I know people now who record series that are on TV and then binge watch the whole thing 2 months later. 

Rafe himself has said that the 8 episode limit and no 2 hour pilot was dictated by Amazon because of "metrics" on how people watch there TV shows. It is just a fact that for some reason networks prefer making far shorter shows. 

Personally I am confused by Amazons profit model, the only reason I have Amazon Prime is because when I go to cancel it each year (I pay yearly) Amazon tells me how much I have saved in P+P that year and it is always more then the cost of membership. I don't think I would sign up just for the TV preferring to dip in maybe for a month a year to binge the series I want to watch from the previous year. 

17 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

One other issue with Rand not chasing the Horn/Fain and not travelling with the Shienarans is not having any relationship with Masema. His becoming the Prophet will perhaps not have the same impact if we don't see his initial contempt for Rand.

I must admit I was surprised to hear he was cast as I thought Masema and the Prophet was something they would cut from the show.

I'm certain they'll find a way to have Rand join the Shienaran search party. Perhaps he'll be overtaken by trollocs and they'll rush in at the opportune time to save him. Since Ingtar is a darkfriend, he could well have orders to get close to Rand. 

I'm not surprised about Masema. I was as certain they'd keep him, just as I was certain about Thom, and for the same reason. The prophet plotline introduces intrigue, the kind of which is what modern prestige TV laps up. It's worth keeping if just for the twist at the end, with Faile assassinating him behind Perrin's back. 

16 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

and I guarantee Mat can't be fully healed without the dagger.  As I said in my post, I don't know how it happens, but Fain, the Dagger, Mat, the Horn and the Girls all end up in Falme. somehow. He's the most important of the boys to the Falme / Seanchan story.

I have a hard time believing the show is gonna convolute that storyline. We saw the black stuff leave Mat's body--the same black stuff that had been the visual representation of the SL evil. Show viewers have no reason to think that he hasn't been entirely healed, and to turn that around and say he wasn't, they'll likely feel cheated and confused. Not very smart to confuse viewers with a complex series as is.

With Moiraine's request, they've given themselves another route to get Mat where he needs to be by season 2. Whatever the red ajah/black ajah do to him can stand in for the physical/neural damage he sustains from the dagger. It's better storytelling in a show narrative, since it gives Mat added reasons to be wary of Aes Sedai, and it gives the black ajah some wins. 

I'm also gonna have to disagree about the importance of keeping the Falme story as it is. The Seanchan being defeated has no longterm relevance. They're back in two books. And Geofram Bornhald is prime to lead his army and die to fight them--perhaps giving Egwene and the girls a way to escape the madness. Otherwise, the horn being blown, Rand vs Ishamael, Ingtar's sacrifice etc. can all be done at Tear. Better there as Moiraine can be an active participant (by balefiring a forsaken), rather than sit on the sidelines because of the Seanchan. 

Edited by Carebear Sedai

1 hour ago, Carebear Sedai said:

I'm certain they'll find a way to have Rand join the Shienaran search party. Perhaps he'll be overtaken by trollocs and they'll rush in at the opportune time to save him. Since Ingtar is a darkfriend, he could well have orders to get close to Rand. 

I'm not surprised about Masema. I was as certain they'd keep him, just as I was certain about Thom, and for the same reason. The prophet plotline introduces intrigue, the kind of which is what modern prestige TV laps up. It's worth keeping if just for the twist at the end, with Faile assassinating him behind Perrin's back. 

I have a hard time believing the show is gonna convolute that storyline. We saw the black stuff leave Mat's body--the same black stuff that had been the visual representation of the SL evil. Show viewers have no reason to think that he hasn't been entirely healed, and to turn that around and say he wasn't, they'll likely feel cheated and confused. Not very smart to confuse viewers with a complex series as is.

With Moiraine's request, they've given themselves another route to get Mat where he needs to be by season 2. Whatever the red ajah/black ajah do to him can stand in for the physical/neural damage he sustains from the dagger. It's better storytelling in a show narrative, since it gives Mat added reasons to be wary of Aes Sedai, and it gives the black ajah some wins. 

I'm also gonna have to disagree about the importance of keeping the Falme story as it is. The Seanchan being defeated has no longterm relevance. They're back in two books. And Geofram Bornhald is prime to lead his army and die to fight them--perhaps giving Egwene and the girls a way to escape the madness. Otherwise, the horn being blown, Rand vs Ishamael, Ingtar's sacrifice etc. can all be done at Tear. Better there as Moiraine can be an active participant (by balefiring a forsaken), rather than sit on the sidelines because of the Seanchan. 

Except the AS abuse of Mat won't explain him looking like death warmed over in episode 8, when he hasn't reached the Tower yet, or been taken. In the books, Moiraine's healing in Camelyn was incomplete. I expect it is here as well. The torture could also be from attempts to heal him without the dagger.

Using the Horn in Tear makes little sense; there's no army there so powerful that requires the Heroes to fight off; the Seanchan are that threat. And without a statue, my working premise at this point is there is no High Lord Samon in Tear. Also, we have no idea if Moiraine will be healed by that point; I kind of doubt it.

Of the book endings between tGH and tDR, I kind of think Falme does more to set up the rest of the story (the Horn, Mat / Egwene with the Seanchan, Perrin and the Whitecloaks, Rumors of Rand, the Prophet). The only key carry forwards from Tear are Callandor, Rand meeting the Aiel and canoodling with Elayne, and Perrin with Berelain. I think those are easier to move to other places than it is to give Mat a reason to blow the horn.

It's not that I don't think you could be right, I just think it's a helluva lot easier to keep Falme and lose Tear than the other way around.

I obviously don't know if they'll do it, but they don't need just AS abuse of Mat (though I don't doubt that will happen) OR Moiraine's healing to be incomplete to have Mat require healing (with the Dagger) next season.  All they need is a flashback of what happens to Mat before he returns to Tar Valon.  There is plenty of opportunity for him to have encountered Padan Fain at the entrance to the Ways and Fain to have cut him or even just touched him with the dagger before he entered the ways. That's enough 'touch' per what Moiraine said to have him need more extensive healing.  

The question is: what then? Mat has very little story in The Great Hunt until the very end, and it's not Mat's POV.  We have a lot of reason to believe that Egwene and Nynaeve are fetched back to the Tower, to meet Elayne and get some Tower shenanigans in before the end of TGH.  Even without the change in casting, if Mat had been stabbed with the dagger in Fal Dara, they could have chosen to take him back to Tar Valon to start moving him into his book 3 arc and interact with the girls rather than  just tacking along with Perrin just to give him a storyarc.  

Perrin could still want to get the dagger to help Mat, if the Aes Sedai who come get Egwene and Nynaeve say Mat was found stabbed by Fain or Moiraine said it was needed. Or he could choose to go with Ingtar to retrieve the Horn feeling some responsibility for losing the horn in the first place.   Or he could (in the new telling) go with Loial to get him to the stedding for healing and it's on the way.

If Mat needs more healing (full circle) but does not need the dagger, he'd be free for the Book 3 arc, and could head out to rescue the girls from the Seanchen rather than just delivering a letter/running into Rahvin and trying to rescue them for that reason.

There's ways, I guess. I don't know what they'll do.  I'll probably write fanfiction about it in the meantime. ?

5 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

And yet, an opinion as valid as anyone here.

Respectfully disagree.   Hating the show, that's a valid opinion.  Attacking, belittling and insulting everyone who likes the show, claiming Sanderson is just waiting for Harriet to die to write more WoT,

That's all over the line nonsense that doesn't really belong here.

4 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

I'm just wonder how the will bring Matt back into the fold.  Theres a major story Arc that was messed up due to himstanding there while they calmly called out his name

Others touched on it, but essentially you invent a plot with him being captured by the reds and from there you jump start Mat's book 3 plot.

It'd be even funnier if my suspicion about Liandrin becoming Amyrlin and then sending the girls out to get rid of them is true.  She provides the girls the "Amyrlin's Authority" letter, they give one to Mat, he walks away from them thanks to it.  ?

1 minute ago, Gothic Flame said:

Not what he said.

"Sanderson will write more WoT books as Harriet has become too old to protect her husbands work and will give the power over to Brandon who thought ep 6 was the best ep of the season."

You're right, he didn't say waiting for Harriet to be gone, he said waiting for Harriet to hand the power over to him.  Same sentiment.

1 hour ago, fra85uk said:

I think that Elaida will appear (it has been rumoured) , so i imagine Liandrin is not becoming Amyrlin.

And honestly i prefer this way: don't get me wrong, the actress is fine but i think Liandrin character as portrayed in both books and shows is not charismatic enough to be a major antagonist.

That could work too.  Elaida gets the message, is the one who messes with Mat, Mat lets slip stuff about Moraine which sets up the Tower Coup.

1 hour ago, fra85uk said:

I think that Elaida will appear (it has been rumoured) , so i imagine Liandrin is not becoming Amyrlin.

And honestly i prefer this way: don't get me wrong, the actress is fine but i think Liandrin character as portrayed in both books and shows is not charismatic enough to be a major antagonist.

Cheaper though.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:27 AM, Sir_Charrid said:

The directive is because this is how modern streaming TV has gone. 

All modern tv shows are 8 episodes long, the lack of advertising time means you can dedicate an entire hour to each, but 8 is seen as the perfect binge number (you can devour 8 hours of TV in a single day, or a couple of evenings). 8 episodes is also a perfect number for hooking people in who are not fanatical about the show, again it is a short enough number that someone will watch it anyway if nothing else is on as opposed to seeing "if I get into this then I have to watch 15+ episodes, that is too much of an investment". I can say honestly I have looked at TV shows I think I might semi enjoy, seen a season is 20 episodes and just gone nope. 

But there is also a practical effect to filming. It means that Actors know they will only be committed to filming for at most a couple of months if they are unfortunate enough to be in most scenes, for most actors its a few weeks on set. If you go back to something like Smallville which had 20 episode seasons the cast where pretty much filming 16 hours a day 7 days a week to the point that Tom Welling has openly stated he went weeks with no real sleep. 

I don' see Amazon changing this at all. 

I think just increasing it to 10ep per season with maybe a 90min season finale would be enough to make a significant difference. That would add 2 1/2 hours a season, a movie's worth of time. It doesn't need to have 20 eps and work all those actors too hard.... 

1 hour ago, Weird_Old_Lady said:

I think just increasing it to 10ep per season with maybe a 90min season finale would be enough to make a significant difference. That would add 2 1/2 hours a season, a movie's worth of time. It doesn't need to have 20 eps and work all those actors too hard.... 

I’m not disagreeing with you just explaining that this is unlikely to happen because Amazon and Netflix, in their infinite wisdom, have decided that 8 seems to be an optimum season length now days, until Amazon say yes to 10 episodes we will have to live with what is decided. I would have loved a 2 hour pilot ending with the party leaving emonds field, I would even have been happy with no Thom for that opening, he had a great intro as it was I think it would have smoother things out a lot better 

7 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

"Sanderson will write more WoT books as Harriet has become too old to protect her husbands work and will give the power over to Brandon who thought ep 6 was the best ep of the season."

The part you quoted is the reason I commented. I usually just ignore the many trolls on this site. Also his line about anyone who still watches the show is just a shill for Amazon. But yeah, we knew what he was saying.

People explaining why they didn’t like the show is 100% valid discourse. The quoted text is not this. Nor is it, or me responding to it, on topic so I’ll leave it there.