DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

7 hours ago, Andra said:

Turak being a blademaster is critical to Rand's arc in the books. 

I would argue that his ravenous reading is much more critical.  We were robbed by merely seeing him with a book in his hand.  I demand that we have an entire episode dedicated to his rummaging through the library at Tear.  And then let us not forget his setting up of centres of learning.  Another episode to discuss the importance of education.  Etc etc.

48 minutes ago, EmreY said:

I would argue that his ravenous reading is much more critical.  We were robbed by merely seeing him with a book in his hand.  I demand that we have an entire episode dedicated to his rummaging through the library at Tear.  And then let us not forget his setting up of centres of learning.  Another episode to discuss the importance of education.  Etc etc.

And I would argue that satire is lost on a format like this.

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

And I would argue that satire is lost on a format like this.

You might be right, but after more than a pages of "we want Errol Flynn" in this and other threads, I thought it might be an idea to remind people that there are other aspects that are just as important.  And if they're just as important, and people aren't concerned by their absence from the TV series, then doesn't it all boil down to "I just want my favourite bits in the series or they're not going to be good"?

Edited by EmreY

1 hour ago, EmreY said:

You might be right, but after more than a pages of "we want Errol Flynn" in this and other threads, I thought it might be an idea to remind people that there are other aspects that are just as important.  And if they're just as important, and people aren't concerned by their absence from the TV series, then doesn't it all boil down to "I just want my favourite bits in the series or they're not going to be good"?

It's not that people aren't concerned about the absence of his reading, it's that it doesn't really become a part of his arc until after he takes the Stone of Tear.  When he starts trying to figure out what he's supposed to do next.

The sword - and everything that goes along with it - is supposed to be happening now.

Remember that this thread is about season 2, not season 4.

So no, it doesn't just boil down to people wanting their favorite things (though of course everyone does).  It boils down to "this important thing should be happening now, while that important thing should happen two seasons from now."

Now if you want to talk about a story arc that should have already been heavily into books, it's Loial's.

And given that lack so far, I don't really have any confidence we'll see Rand with piles of books in the Stone, either.  Or his "Academies."  Or Min curled up in a chair with Herid Fel's philosophy books.  Or Master Fel at all.

Which will be a disappointment.

But only one of many.

On 1/28/2022 at 9:09 PM, Andra said:

He's going to walk all the way back home and have Tam teach him.

It is (sort of) on the way between Shienar and Falme.

Either that, or he's going to remember that the trollocs got to Two Rivers via the Ways, and figure he can do the same.

He'll sort of remember how Moiraine did something he couldn't see, and read what only an Ogier can read, and pop up right at home in Manetheren.  He'll have months to learn the sword before he skips over the mountains to the coast.

One change I wouldn't mind is if Rand sees Tam earlier than the books (even this early). I understand why he kept his distance. But perhaps this early it wouldn't cause the forsaken to sniff around two rivers.

• 6 months later...

I'm a bit worried about season 2.  I think there are just too many plots going on for them to spend the needed time on them.  You have Rand going off alone, Elayne and Avi being introduced, Mat returning, Perin, the Seanchen, they are expanding on the Lan and Moiraine relationship, Egwene and Nyv, I think it was mentioned Logain getting more time and I think Morgase and, Gwayne getting some time.   This is a lot to cover in 8 one hour episodes., especially if they make Season 2 cover more than just book 2.    

Things fold together better than you might think.  There is reason to be concerned, but it does fit. 

I don't know how they'll do it for sure, but I imagine:

1. Rand will go off on his own, encounter possibly the Aiel, but definitely Selene, and go to Cairhien.  He is hardly in The Dragon Reborn, and little or none of his activities will be from that book. He may fall off a wall and meet Elayne from The Eye of the World as an event, but most of it will be The Great Hunt or new stuff.

2. Perrin will go with the hunters for the Horn and along the way have some of the things happen that did in The Dragon Reborn like rescuing an Aiel from a cage.  He will be a part of some of the things from The Great Hunt. Elyas will replace Hurin and teach him about being a Wolfbrother, and he may kill some Whitecloaks like in Eye of the World.  This is a lot of story, but they can keep it pretty compact with a focus just on Perrin here.

3. Moiraine and Lan will find out more about the seals and the prophecies.  The future of the bond when Moiraine dies becomes an issue. They will meet up with Rand in Cairhien and from there, travel together.

4. Egwene and Nynaeve will meet Elayne in the Tower and go to Falme like in the Great Hunt. They will not be sent to hunt the Black Ajah, but will learn of them from Moiraine or Verin because of their encounter with Liandrin.

5. Mat may have some more significant differences. He could be in the tower with the girls and leave with them, or leave /after/ them when he finds out they're in trouble.

It won't have everything, but it does roll up. 

It seems that because of the whole Mat issue at the end of the  last season, they'll have to have at least one episode with Mat as the focus with some other characters having just small moments.

Perrin needs major plotlines and development as well because he was short changed in season one. 

I expect Rand may be more scarce than some of us would like but to get Mat and Perrin moving, I'm willing to accept it. 

It will be like those books where a character is missing but instead of an entire season, it may be just portions of episodes.  

25 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

The showrunner said there will be 1 episode focused on each major character, but I definitely hope that Perrin's and Mat's are early, and Perrin and Mat really need more than one.

Eight episodes, or do we know that yet?  Main characters being:

• Nynaeve
  • Egwene
  • Mat
  • Rand
  • Perrin
  • Moiraine
  • Lan
  • Thom

Or is it someone else?

8 minutes ago, Deviations said:

Not quite sure how they resurrect Mat after S1.  Maybe it was only a dream that he didn't go to Fal Dara with the rest?

Dallas' turns 40: Fun facts on the TV hit's anniversary

There's a number of ways they can do it, but the most likely thing to have happened is that they never intended to have Mat start his journey really from Fal Dara.  He just doesn't do enough in The Great Hunt until the very end, while he has loads of story in The Dragon Reborn but he has to start from Tar Valon there.

My working guess is this:  Mat would have gone to Fal Dara with the others, but he (not Loial) would be stabbed by Padan Fain. He would then be taken with Egwene and Nynaeve back to Tar Valon for healing.

In the show, my guess is that Mat stayed because he knew he wasn't the Dragon and felt he had to go back to Two Rivers to protect his sisters. At the WayGate, he encounters Padan Fain, who has been following everyone.  Fain hurts or touches Mat with the Dagger before entering the Ways, leaving him to become corrupted and "turn to the dark".  Mat staggers back to Tar Valon, trying to survive and fight the evil the dagger put back in him and go home, but the Red Ajah pick him off the streets and capture him.  They torture him to try to force him to channel, but it doesn't work (but gives him a lifelong fear of channeling).  He is then saved by Siuan and healed.  He meets Egwene and Nynaeve, and when they are kidnapped by Liandrin and taken to Falme, he follows, in one way or another, either going with them or following after to rescue them, possibly with Verin or by Thom showing up and taking him to a stedding so the Ogiers can take him.

13 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

There's a number of ways they can do it, but the most likely thing to have happened is that they never intended to have Mat start his journey really from Fal Dara.  He just doesn't do enough in The Great Hunt until the very end, while he has loads of story in The Dragon Reborn but he has to start from Tar Valon there.

My working guess is this:  Mat would have gone to Fal Dara with the others, but he (not Loial) would be stabbed by Padan Fain. He would then be taken with Egwene and Nynaeve back to Tar Valon for healing.

In the show, my guess is that Mat stayed because he knew he wasn't the Dragon and felt he had to go back to Two Rivers to protect his sisters. At the WayGate, he encounters Padan Fain, who has been following everyone.  Fain hurts or touches Mat with the Dagger before entering the Ways, leaving him to become corrupted and "turn to the dark".  Mat staggers back to Tar Valon, trying to survive and fight the evil the dagger put back in him and go home, but the Red Ajah pick him off the streets and capture him.  They torture him to try to force him to channel, but it doesn't work (but gives him a lifelong fear of channeling).  He is then saved by Siuan and healed.  He meets Egwene and Nynaeve, and when they are kidnapped by Liandrin and taken to Falme, he follows, in one way or another, either going with them or following after to rescue them, possibly with Verin or by Thom showing up and taking him to a stedding so the Ogiers can take him.

I'd say both scenario's sound plausible

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Do you think Mat takes over for Perrin in the battle of Emond’s field?

I was just going to suggest that, actually. Since we never met any of Perrin's family, maybe it will be Mat that returns instead. Perhaps the Band starts out as Emond's Fielders and grows from there? It would free Perrin to spend more time in the wolf dream and could honestly improve the whole Perrin vs. Luc/Slayer/Dream spike story if written well.

I won't be mad at losing Emo Perrin whinging about the wolf banner...

Edited by Elder_Haman