DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Predictions

Guest Wolfbrother31

5 hours ago, nsmallw said:

In Season 1 , Rand is in the Tower library and sees the prophecy book ( id butcher the title lol). 

Does anyone think they'll bring it into the show or was that scene just an Easter egg. 

I think it's in the series, and Moiraine's going to spend a lot of time with it in S2.

4 hours ago, SingleMort said:

Honestly I've seen a lot of people say they'll be okay with big cuts so long as they don't cut one of their favourite moments. But I think it's inevitable that some will be cut. And honestly even stuff like Mat using the horn is something I can see cut I mean does it really affect anything going forward? I like the Falme scene, the horn, Whitecloaks charge, Rand's fight but I can't help wondering if that and many other iconic scenes will make the show. Don't forget that cost will also be a big factor in showing these things. I'm betting the ending of season 2 will be closer to the book 3 ending than the book 2 one because it would likely be more cost effective for them to show that. Also I have a feeling that having the Seanchan be driven off then come back is also something that will be cut so that's another reason I don't think the Falme battle will happen.

Except without pushing the Seanchan out of Falme, our heroes can't really get away. And it's the heroes of the horn that push the Seanchan out of Falme, not the Whitecloaks or Rand.  So you have 3-4 episodes with the Seanchan now, and then you pick them back up in season 5-6. But if they don't leave, they're an active threat instead of being a non-factor for half the series

Just now, Jaysen Gore said:

Except without pushing the Seanchan out of Falme, our heroes can't really get away. And it's the heroes of the horn that push the Seanchan out of Falme, not the Whitecloaks or Rand.  So you have 3-4 episodes with the Seanchan now, and then you pick them back up in season 5-6. But if they don't leave, they're an active threat instead of being a non-factor for half the series

Rand could push them out of Falme if they go that route, but I don't think they'll leave, I think they'll be pushed back and be a threat throughout the Tanchico and Ebou Dar arcs.

1 minute ago, KakitaOCU said:

Rand could push them out of Falme if they go that route, but I don't think they'll leave, I think they'll be pushed back and be a threat throughout the Tanchico and Ebou Dar arcs.

They won't give it to Rand, and that's what I mean, they're gone until Ebou Dar. I doubt they're in play in Tanchico.

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

All modern tv shows are 8 episodes long, the lack of advertising time means you can dedicate an entire hour to each, but 8 is seen as the perfect binge number (you can devour 8 hours of TV in a single day, or a couple of evenings).

With all due respect not seeing any evidence of that at all. Out of curiousity to see if 8 episodes were a trend I looked up a selection of other headline shows in 2021 this is the results I got.

• Hawkeye 6 episodes
  • Arcane 9 episodes
  • The Book of Boba Fett 7 episodes
  • Foundation 10 episodes
  • WandaVision 9 Episodes

The only ones I could find that fit the 8 episode model you are talking about were the Witcher and Shadow and Bone and the big difference between those shows and WoT is that they drop the entire season all at once. There is no reason to make WoT bingeable in one sitting because it's episodes are released on a weekly basis. Netflix uses this model because Netflix drop whole seasons of TV in one go but most other streaming platforms do not because while you can get high viewing numbers in one week the show viewership drops quickly after that and no one hardly talks about it after release. All of the most talked about shows (Arcane, Loki/Wandavision, Mandalorian) all have weekly release schedules because the weekly release keeps people talking about them. So if it truly is Amazon's plan to have people binge this in one go it's not a very good one because their own release strategy messes it up and it would just create less hype for the show instead of more hype.

Edited by SingleMort

3 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

With all due respect not seeing any evidence of that at all. Out of curiousity to see if 8 episodes I looked up a selection of other headline shows in 2021 this is the result

• Hawkeye 6 episodes
  • Arcane 9 episodes
  • The Book of Boba Fett 7 episodes
  • Foundation 10 episodes
  • WandaVision 9 Episodes

The only ones I could find that fit the 8 episode model you are talking about were the Witcher and Shadow and Bone and the big difference between those shows and WoT is that they drop the entire season all at once. There is no reason to make WoT bingeable in one sitting because it's episodes are released on a weekly basis. Netflix uses this model because Netflix drop whole seasons of TV in one go but most other streaming platforms do not because while you can get high viewing numbers in one week the show viewership drops quickly after that and no hardly talks about it after release. All of the most talked about shows (Arcane, Loki/Wandavision, Mandalorian) all have weekly release schedules because the weekly release keeps people talking about them. So if it truly is Amazon's plan to have people binge this in one go it's not a very good one because their own release strategy messes it up and it would just create less hype for the show instead of more hype.

But look at Amazon and specifically at stuff Amazon Fronts all the money for.

Invincible, Carnival Row, Jack Ryan, Mrs Maisel, The Boys, I could keep going and there are exceptions, but in general Amazon follows this formula.  Even with outside money it stays close.  Legends of Vox Machina is going to have 10 episodes, but that's because they did their own money for it, set it up as a 2 episode mini series and then are following it with an 8 episode season.

Your examples are almost all Disney with 1 Netflix and 1 AppleTV.  What they do doesn't argue a point for what Amazon does or doesn't do.  

2 hours ago, Sir_Charrid said:

The directive is because this is how modern streaming TV has gone. 

All modern tv shows are 8 episodes long, the lack of advertising time means you can dedicate an entire hour to each, but 8 is seen as the perfect binge number (you can devour 8 hours of TV in a single day, or a couple of evenings). 8 episodes is also a perfect number for hooking people in who are not fanatical about the show, again it is a short enough number that someone will watch it anyway if nothing else is on as opposed to seeing "if I get into this then I have to watch 15+ episodes, that is too much of an investment". I can say honestly I have looked at TV shows I think I might semi enjoy, seen a season is 20 episodes and just gone nope. 

But there is also a practical effect to filming. It means that Actors know they will only be committed to filming for at most a couple of months if they are unfortunate enough to be in most scenes, for most actors its a few weeks on set. If you go back to something like Smallville which had 20 episode seasons the cast where pretty much filming 16 hours a day 7 days a week to the point that Tom Welling has openly stated he went weeks with no real sleep. 

I don' see Amazon changing this at all. 

Unfortunately they probably won't,  and yet, look at GoT and trying to create  second prequel show when they could have just added a couple seasons to have the ending make sense. 

4 hours ago, Gothic Flame said:

The sky over Falme should be lit up! It was an important moment in the books...which typically seems to mean "not happening."

SkyOverFalme.jpg

I would love to have the battle in the sky over Falme, but I have no idea how they would do it on TV without it looking cheap or weird.

52 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

But look at Amazon and specifically at stuff Amazon Fronts all the money for

Okay let's look at Amazon

The Expanse - (from season 3 when Amazon took it over) 13,10,10, 6

Upload - 10 episodes season 1

The Man in the High Castle - 4 seasons with 10 episodes each

You are just cherry picking information to suit your argument. There's no consistent pattern.

Edited by SingleMort

Looking back at season one and how rushed much of it felt, I pray Rafe won't try to cram everything that happens in TGH and TDR into one season. Better to streamline the two story arcs to the TDR final by having Padan Fain lead the search for the horn to Tear instead of Falme.

Plotline 1: 

Perrin, Loial (tainted by the dagger perhaps), Moiraine and Lan join the search for the horn to Tear. But otherwise follow the story beats of their TDR arc (meet Faile, free Gaul, Fight Be'lal?)

Plotline 2:

Rand travels to Tear for the same reasons as in the books. Only difference is the journey which follows his TGH plot (portal stones, meeting Selene, ends up travelling with the shienaran army).  The only difference is I don't think he'll end up in Cairhein.

Plotline 3:

Mat gets captured and tortured by the red ajah (many of whom are black ajah) per Moiraine's request inciting his series long fear of Aes Sedia. He's healed at the White Tower and follows his TDR plot, with a minor change. Instead of going to Caemlyn I think he and Thom end up in Cairhein where his ta'veren impact replaces Rand's part there. Thom kills the king and they flee the city on the verge of a civil war to end up in Tear.

Plotline 4: 

The girls start at Tar Valon and meet Elayne, end up being tricked by Liandrin and taken to Falme. At this point I think it would likely be mid-season and once they flee, they'll end up chasing Liandrin and the black sisters on their own volition to Tear.

Right or not, I hope they simplify the plot where they can so they'll be able to do the things they will choose to do justice. 

20 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

No they were not. 2 were Disney, 2 were Netflix and 1 was Apple.

3 from Disney (Hawkeye, Wandavision, Boba-fett), 1 Netflix (Arcane), 1 AppleTV (Foundation)  Regardless my point that none are Amazon stands.

12 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

Okay let's look at Amazon

The Expanse - (from season 3 when Amazon took it over) 13,10,10, 6

Upload - 10 episodes season 1

The Man in the High Castle - 4 seasons with 10 episodes each

You are just cherry picking information to suit your argument. There's no consistent pattern.

3 Examples, two that were started by other companies before Amazon took them on.  Vs 6 examples I gave so far.  I didn't cherry pick, I glanced at my watch list.  

Also, if were being fully detailed in our analysis, the argument only matters for series with more than 8 episodes.  So, just looking at the first say 30 series when you click on Amazon Prime, Click Original and filter to TV vs film.

9 series have 5-6 episodes.  Which would still fit with the idea of having smaller, bingable series.

15 series have 8 episodes.  Including most of the recent ones.

6 have more than 8.  They all have exactly 10.

One other issue with Rand not chasing the Horn/Fain and not travelling with the Shienarans is not having any relationship with Masema. His becoming the Prophet will perhaps not have the same impact if we don't see his initial contempt for Rand.

I must admit I was surprised to hear he was cast as I thought Masema and the Prophet was something they would cut from the show.

24 minutes ago, Carebear Sedai said:

Looking back at season one and how rushed much of it felt, I pray Rafe won't try to cram everything that happens in TGH and TDR into one season. Better to streamline the two story arcs to the TDR final by having Padan Fain lead the search for the horn to Tear instead of Falme.

Plotline 1: 

Perrin, Loial (tainted by the dagger perhaps), Moiraine and Lan join the search for the horn to Tear. But otherwise follow the story beats of their TDR arc (meet Faile, free Gaul, Fight Be'lal?)

Plotline 2:

Rand travels to Tear for the same reasons as in the books. Only difference is the journey which follows his TGH plot (portal stones, meeting Selene, ends up travelling with the shienaran army).  The only difference is I don't think he'll end up in Cairhein.

Plotline 3:

Mat gets captured and tortured by the red ajah (many of whom are black ajah) per Moiraine's request inciting his series long fear of Aes Sedia. He's healed at the White Tower and follows his TDR plot, with a minor change. Instead of going to Caemlyn I think he and Thom end up in Cairhein where his ta'veren impact replaces Rand's part there. Thom kills the king and they flee the city on the verge of a civil war to end up in Tear.

Plotline 4: 

The girls start at Tar Valon and meet Elayne, end up being tricked by Liandrin and taken to Falme. At this point I think it would likely be mid-season and once they flee, they'll end up chasing Liandrin and the black sisters on their own volition to Tear.

Right or not, I hope they simplify the plot where they can so they'll be able to do the things they will choose to do justice. 

I would be very very happy if this was the general arc for each of our main characters in S2. It functions to fix a lot of the issues from S1 and touches on a lot of the main points. Plotline 4 could also incorporate Siuan and the coup. 

One concerning thing, I haven't seen whether Thom has been confirmed as part of the cast for S2...

@KakitaOCU I'm going to end this discussion here because it seems pointless trying to point out why you have got this wrong further. This article is several years old now but it basically Amazon Studios saying why they prefer and use the weekly release model "so that customers can chat about the shows and build up anticipation...... the Netflix release model kills the conversation and buildup that surrounds a traditional release of a TV show" This goes completely against your binge theory https://qz.com/146949/why-amazon-bucking-the-netflix-strategy-wont-release-its-original-series-all-at-once/

@notpropaganda73 I think it's likely they cast Masema 

Spoiler

so that Perrin has to deal with him also it brings in the DR follower thing that is a big part of the DR storyline 

It does make me wonder if we will ever see Emmonds Field again though. Will they have time for both?

Edited by SingleMort

37 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

One other issue with Rand not chasing the Horn/Fain and not travelling with the Shienarans is not having any relationship with Masema. His becoming the Prophet will perhaps not have the same impact if we don't see his initial contempt for Rand.

I must admit I was surprised to hear he was cast as I thought Masema and the Prophet was something they would cut from the show.

Suffice to say, I can see Masema dying on this trip, or I can see the Prophet taking over Post DW Faile storyline with Perrin. Doesn't need Rand, much, assuming we get the fight in the sky. No sky fight, no prophet, no Masema.

1 hour ago, Carebear Sedai said:

Plotline 1: 

Plotline 2:

Plotline 3:

Plotline 4: 

The only challenges to this I'd make is that we know Barthanes has been cast, and probably Suroth. So I think the Horn / Dagger makes it to Cairhien, and from their to the DO's seal at Falme. And I can see Moiraine being roped in as well, to increase Rand's distrust of her

and I guarantee Mat can't be fully healed without the dagger.  As I said in my post, I don't know how it happens, but Fain, the Dagger, Mat, the Horn and the Girls all end up in Falme. somehow. He's the most important of the boys to the Falme / Seanchan story.

16 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

<snip>

It does make me wonder if we will ever see Emmonds Field again though. Will they have time for both?

Yep - Perrin to EF when the group splits up from Tear (I expect Battle of EF is the big budget end to S3, with Rand in Rhuidean) , and then deals with the Prophet after DW in season 5. plenty of time

31 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

and I guarantee Mat can't be fully healed without the dagger.  As I said in my post, I don't know how it happens, but Fain, the Dagger, Mat, the Horn and the Girls all end up in Falme. somehow. He's the most important of the boys to the Falme / Seanchan story.

Doesn't that mean they'd need to admit they screwed up healing him the first time? In the books they were very clear that the healing wasn't complete but it felt like they were saying it was in the show. 

6 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

Doesn't that mean they'd need to admit they screwed up healing him the first time? In the books they were very clear that the healing wasn't complete but it felt like they were saying it was in the show. 

He got a omicron variant of Shadar Logoth taint which bypassed Moiraine's antibodies.

25 minutes ago, SingleMort said:

Moiraine was dealing with something she probably had not really dealt with before, since Mat  had the dagger for so long. Yes, she would have to admit she did not completely separate him from the dagger. 

33 minutes ago, Wassup said:

Moiraine was dealing with something she probably had not really dealt with before, since Mat  had the dagger for so long. Yes, she would have to admit she did not completely separate him from the dagger. 

Or fain got back at him in TV